PDA

View Full Version : Questions that have no answers?

NaughtyGirl
25th Jun 2007, 03:02
I'm sure we have all had these questions like?

If the purpose was for no one to get through the tomb....why have levers to turn traps on and off?

Who was the poor soul that always had to go pull the levers then?

Do you think Lara ever went back and had some shoes made with the T Rex skin?

Who leaves all the convenient medipaks and ammo lying around?

Why is it these tombs are undiscovered yet some of them have human bones laying around...?

Why did Lara get all up in Qualopec's face?

Where is Tihocan?

How did Natla get free anyhow?

Why is it Lara can shoot the abomination to get out of its stomach and that doesn't hurt it at all? "Get In Mah Belly!":eek:

Who keeps putting the objects in Lara's house in these odd areas?

Unlimited ammo?? yeah right...

And just how does she stuff all those things in that itty bitty knapsack anyway....

And why not a contest to ask how many times has Lara died in the past ten years??

soooo...anyone else have questions they have always wondered about?

LegendLost
25th Jun 2007, 03:06
Video games don't need to be perfect/make sense, thats why their games not real life....

Xcom
25th Jun 2007, 03:27
Are you actually looking for the answers or for more questions?

NaughtyGirl
25th Jun 2007, 03:30
questions!!!:p

I know we have all had those WTH? moments....

boots
25th Jun 2007, 03:56
I've wondered those things myself... it's fun to think about them, even if you're not really "supposed" to. Some of the tombs just don't make much sense from an original design perspective - having traps is one thing, having levers to turn them off is another thing entirely. And how on earth do those blades stay sharp and in working order for that long? I guess slicing Lara in half is more fun than giving her tetanus.

What always got me scratching my head was how some of those animals survived that long in tiny enclosed tombs. And for that matter, are you seriously trying to tell me that none of the gorillas ever climbed on the Midas statue? :rolleyes: :D

Ricardo221
25th Jun 2007, 04:09
If the purpose was for no one to get through the tomb....why have levers to turn traps on and off?
So that the folks who actually made the traps can get through when they need to check up on their closely guarded relics and scion pieces. Every treasure tomb had a guardian who was responsible for watching over and setting the traps. i.e. Voldo in the Money Pit on SC.

Probably Voldo.

The dead explorers that did not make it out alive.

Why is it these tombs are undiscovered yet some of them have human bones laying around...?
Nothing is discovered until someone actually makes it out alive to tell the tale. If 100 people discover a strange cave and then die inside the tomb, you can't say it was discovered 100 times. Until someone come out alive and claims what is inside, it's just a cave.

In TR1 they showed a giant comet/asteroid hitting the site where Natla was being condemned to death. This apparently freed her from the contraption. They didn't show a comet hitting anything in TRA.

Here are my questions:

1- Why are there Dinosaurs in Peru in 1996?
2- What do the Egyptian beasts eat to stay alive? I guess panthers eat rats and the alligators eat panthers and the beasts eat the alligators but what do rats eat? Dust?
3- Where does the water in Egypt come from? It should have evaporated in between rainfalls, which I'm sure isn't often.

boots
25th Jun 2007, 04:21
2- What do the Egyptian beasts eat to stay alive? I guess panthers eat rats and the alligators eat panthers and the beasts eat the alligators but what do rats eat? Dust?

Moths. I've heard bears can survive on moths for a while, no reason rats can't, I suppose. Assuming they can catch them. You can see them fluttering around in the right light.

Ricardo221
25th Jun 2007, 04:24
And probably frogs since there are lilypads in the water. Oh and there are some fish swimming around as well.

See... lots of food even in deserted thousands-year-old caverns. As long as it is warm and moist. LOL

NaughtyGirl
25th Jun 2007, 04:26
I think the answer is closer than that.....let's not think about those bones, alrighty?:(

And why wouldn't they also eat the medipaks?

Ricardo221
25th Jun 2007, 04:28
And why wouldn't they also eat the medipaks?

Yuck. Who would want to eat medical equipment with wound salve and sterilized bandages? Maybe the tasty leather covering...

boots
25th Jun 2007, 04:35
Animals eat weird things sometimes, especially if they're trapped in a thousands-year-old tomb with nothing else to do. :D I forgot there were fish, too! Good call.

Which leads me to wonder what exactly is in those medipacks... whatever it is, it's sure effective and apparently has no expiration date. Maybe the medipack fairy leaves them for her. Makes about as much sense as anything else.

NaughtyGirl
25th Jun 2007, 04:44
what exactly is in the medipak anyway?

so why did the previous explorer throw it up on some high ledge behind some rocks?

maybe if he had USED it...he wouldn't be dead explorer now?:rasp:

boots
25th Jun 2007, 04:55
so why did the previous explorer throw it up on some high ledge behind some rocks?

Maybe he threw them up there to distract the animals, thinking they'd want to eat it instead of him! Not that that worked out very well... poor guy, maybe if he'd worn tiny khaki hotpants he would have been better equipped to survive? :whistle: That seems to do the trick.

Ricardo221
25th Jun 2007, 04:57
what exactly is in the medipak anyway?

I got it... there was a team of 5 or 6 explorers with radio communications, each at different levels of the tomb to be sure they didn't all die in a group from one big death trap. One of them got wounded and was like "I need medical supplies!" and the others would be like "OK, I'll put this large medipak on this here ledge behind the swinging pole. Just move the rock out of the way when you get there."

:scratch:

Towel
25th Jun 2007, 05:01
:scratch: If no one has entered the tombs how do the animals live for so long??

Ricardo221
25th Jun 2007, 05:05
:scratch: If no one has entered the tombs how do the animals live for so long??

Look up about 8 posts above yours. ;)

Bampire
25th Jun 2007, 05:47
Lawl.

Towel
25th Jun 2007, 06:19
ummm opps i guess i jumped my mouse and didnt see that whops..:whistle:

gyste4
25th Jun 2007, 08:41
oh my gosh aren't we all very curious! I think the ledges lara hangs onto sometimes are too obvious and almost build for her, it's irritating, my question is, did the ancient ppl know that Lara would one day come and they build ledges for her to swing/climb on?

Undiscovered_Tomb
25th Jun 2007, 17:41
maybe every is like going coo coo bananas and we all just wanna keep questioning a game AND THEY ARE FAKE!!!!!!!

noone can do half of the crap she can without getting a hurt back or fingers lmfao

WHY DID U TAKE MY CRAYONS?!!?!?

boots
25th Jun 2007, 18:16
maybe every is like going coo coo bananas and we all just wanna keep questioning a game AND THEY ARE FAKE!!!!!!!

Well I should hope it's fake. I'd hate to think what it would do to my conscience to find out the person I'd been accidentally chucking off ledges was real. :D

Here's another question: Why is it that it's possible to get through a tricky passage flawlessly the first or second try, but then when you have to go back and go through again, it takes about fifty reloads? :rolleyes: Happened to me at least four times during my last session. I don't know whether it's more frustrating knowing it should be fairly easy to do or having actually done it before.

The world may never know.

Tiri Li
25th Jun 2007, 18:25
1- Why are there Dinosaurs in Peru in 1996?

Qualopec animated them with his piece of the scion. So says wikipedia.

Lara?

3- Where does the water in Egypt come from? It should have evaporated in between rainfalls, which I'm sure isn't often.

Natla's peice of the scion keeps it there. :rasp:

Lectrician
25th Jun 2007, 19:07
Why does an archeologist with the love for ancient ruins have no problem pulling that block out that makes an entire room of the ruin she loves get destroyed?:)

ElevenTR
25th Jun 2007, 19:20
The rast have been to the fatfighters in little britain aaaaaahhhhhh help my dog is licking my feet at this very moment heeeeeeeeeelllllllppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

RebeL_fARmeR
25th Jun 2007, 19:26
DOG, PUT HIS FEET DOWN!!!

or

DOG, PUT HER FEET DOWN

Please choose appropriate one!!! :D

Great post by the way, very funny questions!

CrisGer
25th Jun 2007, 20:26
I think, IMHO, that Lara is Not particularly in love with the site and the ruins she visits, she seems to think of them as a source of other things, tho she does hae an intereting collection of books and quotes in her house covering all periods, epochs and cultures. But someone asked why she pulls down a room of a ruin that she loves, I dont partcularly feel that she loves the history itself, but the challenges more.

As for what the animals eat, I tend to think that the sites she visits have been accesible to wild creatures in many ways, as such sites are, and we do not find all the means of egress and access, opennings come and go in subterranean sites, and ruins, subsidence, erosion, accumulation of detritus over eons, and many other factors can introduce various animals, plants, insects, reptiles (there are a LOT fewer reptiles for instance than REAL south american Inca, Mayan and other meso american sites, at most of them that are open to the public they have crews of "snake chasers" that sweep the site every day before opening time otherwise they woulld be literally infested with snakies! ).....and other vertibrate and invertibrate beasties come and go. The bears are a bit of a stretch and the wolves in South America but they make good story. And those wolves running out of the entrance of the tomb at the beginning is sooo cool. Wow. Poor native helper, he did not enjoy the wolves at all. :)

But these questions are good, also how do all the "light sources" keep burning for hundreds or thousands of years, like in the Tomb of KA in TR L? VERY long burning torches i would say!

But it is all part of the story and great fun. Great thread! :):lol: :rasp:

Mangar The Dark
25th Jun 2007, 20:46
In the tombs, I can suspend my disbelief a bit better. What gets me is when Lara is exploring a place like Rome or Venice, and she has to perform a series of bizarre acrobatics and pull a series of levers just to open a garage door (or whatever.)

@Crisger-- I agree with you about the light sources question. But even more puzzling that who keeps the torches lit, is how light gets into the places that have NO torches. Most of TR1 should have been pitch black.

TheRomans
26th Jun 2007, 00:05
In TR1 they showed a giant comet/asteroid hitting the site where Natla was being condemned to death. This apparently freed her from the contraption. They didn't show a comet hitting anything in TRA.

Actually, it was during a nuclear bomb test in New Mexico. The movie is also redone as the intro to TRA.

Rai
26th Jun 2007, 01:02
What does Lara eat on her travels? She has so much in her backpack already, there can't be room for a packed lunch, can there?

Does Lara ever sleep?

Ricardo221
26th Jun 2007, 03:40
Lara slept for a few hours in the boat in TR1. She doesn't sleep in TRA, she just sneaks off the boat and swims to the island.

Boo!

Dogfight
26th Jun 2007, 06:47
I'm sure we have all had these questions like?

I have from time to time thought about some of these questions.

The levers where put there by the designers of the tombs, as backdoors out of the tombs, in case something went wrong.

The designers of those levers, probably all made it out alive. The levers were pulled by tomb robbers.

Do you think Lara ever went back and had some shoes made with the T Rex skin?

The answer is obviously no.

Explorers to the tombs that never made it out alive and left their equipment behind.

The tombs are not discovered because no one has ever come back alive from the tombs.

Why did Lara get all up in Qualopec's face?

She was amazed at how well his face remained preserved after thousands of years of being dead. It looked like maybe he was still alive.

Where is Tihocan?

He is buried somewhere else.

In Tomb Raider Anniversary the shock wave from a nuclear test releases her.

Why is it Lara can shoot the abomination to get out of its stomach and that doesn't hurt it at all? "Get In Mah Belly!"

The shots do hurt the monster, but it takes some time for the monster to feel the pain.

Who keeps putting the objects in Lara's house in these odd areas?

In Tomb Raider Anniversary most of the objects were misplaced by movers and some of them were hidden away by Richard Croft. In Tomb Raider Legend Lara had Winston hide the objects for training purposes.

Unlimited ammo?? yeah right...

Lara makes sure she brings so much ammo and uses so little that she never runs out.

And just how does she stuff all those things in that itty bitty knapsack anyway....

Lara only carries some of the things in her backback. The other things she leaves behind to pick up later.

Why are there Dinosaurs in Peru in 1996?

The dinosaurs survived extinction by living in an isolated and hidden valley.

What do the Egyptian beasts eat to stay alive? I guess panthers eat rats and the alligators eat panthers and the beasts eat the alligators but what do rats eat? Dust?

There are large secret jungles filled with all kinds of animals inside the pyramids. The plants are kept alive by artificial lights that mimic sunlight.

Where does the water in Egypt come from? It should have evaporated in between rainfalls, which I'm sure isn't often.

There is a large underground river.

What does Lara eat on her travels? She has so much in her backpack already, there can't be room for a packed lunch, can there?

Lara eats a large meal and drinks a great amount of water before she goes on her travels.

Does Lara ever sleep?

Yes, she does.

boots
26th Jun 2007, 07:12
Now that I think about it, she obviously went back to the Lost Valley at some point (or maybe the Great Wall?) since that one room in her house in III I believe had some old artifacts in it... the Scion, the dagger of Xian, and a t-rex head mounted on the wall. And some other things I can't remember. The Seraph maybe.

I don't know if that would end up translating over to Legend/Anniversary (I never played Legend so if it's in her house there, I wouldn't know) but I don't see why not. Now, getting the whole thing and moving into the manor, that's another story. Not to mention where you'd find someone who could work with t-rex hide. :eek:

boots
26th Jun 2007, 07:37
Lara's resourceful enough that she'd be able to find food and drink on her travels without accidentally poisoning herself or something. Her rewritten background practically requires it. And she kills enough of the wildlife, hopefully she would at least bother doing something with it.

When she eats... who knows? Probably during manual saves/loads. :D

Squishy
27th Jun 2007, 22:15
omg hahah this thread is great :lol:

Squishy
28th Jun 2007, 00:17
Why does the lead bar sound like a bell when its falling from the pillar?

beaker
1st Jul 2007, 22:59
My thing is, how's the ropes and poles stay in good shape. I mean the ladder falls apart but you're gonna jump and grab the one 'rung' that didn't fall off? :eek: And the ropes ... yup! I'd trust 'em :lol:

Jezyk
2nd Jul 2007, 00:10
- why the tombs are designed so that only acrobats can get through them?
- how do the animals teleport to the corridors that are completely cut off and were empty a few minutes ago (like Tomb of Qualopec)?
- why some of the designers put poles and grapples on the walls? Did they know that some columns are going to crumble and enable access to these poles?
- why are the creaks in walls and columns always horizontal?
- why does dirt appear on the clothes and body, but blood never, even after velociraptor's attack?
- why can't Lara climb on the palms in Lost Valley?

Rai
2nd Jul 2007, 00:34
What type of antiperspirant does Lara use? 'cus I want some! I mean she barely ever sweats!

On the presumption that Lara must sleep (I like to imagine she sleeps when I turn the console off) how come she doesn't get attacked by wild animals then?

Ricardo221
2nd Jul 2007, 01:35
On the presumption that Lara must sleep (I like to imagine she sleeps when I turn the console off) how come she doesn't get attacked by wild animals then?

I think the presumption is that she actually only spends about an hour of real time in each location, so even in Greece from the Folley to the Tomb, she is only there for about 6 hours - not too long to require a full night's rest. Egypt is another story. I wouldn't want to take a nap anywhere in that tomb!

Dogfight
2nd Jul 2007, 07:38

The lead bar has a small bell inside it.

Why the tombs are designed so that only acrobats can get through them?

The tombs were never designed for acrobats. You only think they were because the tombs have been damaged and weathered by time becoming difficult to navigate.

How do the animals teleport to the corridors that are completely cut off and were empty a few minutes ago (like Tomb of Qualopec)?

Secret passages that the animals know how to navigate through. The animals step on a stone and a wall opens up to allow them entry into an area.

Why some of the designers put poles and grapples on the walls? Did they know that some columns are going to crumble and enable access to these poles?

No, the poles held flags and the large spikes on the walls held crests at one time. The flags detiorated over time and the crests fell off the large spikes.

Why are the creaks in walls and columns always horizontal?

They are not, you only are think they are because you view them from the wrong angle.

Why does dirt appear on the clothes and body, but blood never, even after velociraptor's attack?

Lara is very careful not to get injured.

Why can't Lara climb on the palms in Lost Valley?

These are a rare kind of palm that produces a dangerous allergic reaction upon contact

Tiri Li
2nd Jul 2007, 07:40
Here is another question:

How do the dorrs in the sanctuary of the scion react to light being reflected from the oblisks?

I don't think they had light detectors in those days.

ElevenTR
2nd Jul 2007, 07:56

How do the doors in the sanctuary of the scion react to light being reflected from the obelisks?

HO, HO, HO, ITS MAGIC!!! or the heat from the light burnt a rope which let go of a lever which was holding the doors shut by a large and indescribable mechanism!

boots
2nd Jul 2007, 08:40

How do the dorrs in the sanctuary of the scion react to light being reflected from the oblisks?

Obelisk gnomes.

:D

Squishy
10th Jul 2007, 02:34

The lead bar has a small bell inside it.

Why would they need a bell inside the lead bar? :scratch:

Tiri Li
10th Jul 2007, 09:37
Why would they need a bell inside the lead bar? :scratch:

So it makes a bell sound when it falls.

How come raptors can't climb up a boulder?

Attuny the Gamer
10th Jul 2007, 09:48
When she climbs out of the water and does the handstand the items in her pockets don't fall out? Like the keys to her mansion or any change she may have picked up that day.