PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to talk about Core's version yet?

Qbert
24th Jun 2007, 15:22
I've been pretty interested in the details for awhile and since TRA has been out for awhile now, one would think that we'd be in the clear to openly discuss the game and the details going around it's development.

So is it ok or no?

Phlip
24th Jun 2007, 15:24
Frankly, I hope not. Being reminded of Cores work on AE really gets me down.

Qbert
24th Jun 2007, 15:27
I was kinda hoping we could get some real info, like concept art, screenshots, maybe some detail from Core's staff for it's presentation... I get pretty bugged on titles that get shoved into obscurity and wait for years before anything is really known about it. So far those vids I was able to watch are the only details I've seen and someone else said they were lucky enough to get their hands on a playable demo.

Hyper_Crazy
24th Jun 2007, 15:30
I believe we're allowed to talk about it, we're just not allowed to post the leaked footage or screenshots. (:

Phlip
24th Jun 2007, 15:34
I was kinda hoping we could get some real info, like concept art, screenshots, maybe some detail from Core's staff for it's presentation... I get pretty bugged on titles that get shoved into obscurity and wait for years before anything is really known about it. So far those vids I was able to watch are the only details I've seen and someone else said they were lucky enough to get their hands on a playable demo.
Someone played a demo of it?

I highly doubt it.

Qbert
24th Jun 2007, 15:35
Well then who mentioned it?

Phlip
24th Jun 2007, 15:53
I dunno.

Atheist
24th Jun 2007, 20:24
I'm sure you can discuss it and information about it. It's just you can't post links to any leaked footage or soundtracks or screenshots ect.

TheRidster
24th Jun 2007, 21:53

Qbert, Core were bought out and no longer exist, the project was shelved. The game is not likely to be finished. Even if it was, a new company would have to complete it. No, we got Crystal Dynamics version instead! The videos you did see were leaked and you were not supposed to see them.

Joshorty
24th Jun 2007, 22:50
Their version was said to be 80% completed so they were pretty much almost finished though...

Ricardo221
24th Jun 2007, 23:11
Wow... I just watched the trailer. There could have been some FANTASTIC levels in this game! I paused each frame and what I saw was a much more interesting Atlantis, Coliseum and Cistern from what is currently in TRA, but then again some of it was surely a 1:1 remake. Shame they couldn't merge the two games together.

I wonder, though, if Crystal Dynamics were granted access to this game and then modify from there. Some parts are just too similar to the current TRA for this to be a project done solely by Core and CD's version solely by them as well.

Also, some of that stuff looked too good to be on a PSP so maybe some of those were FMV cut scenes only?

Joshorty
24th Jun 2007, 23:15
one of the Core members from the tombraiderforums.com did mention it was impossible for those graphics to handle the PSP though the resolution of the trailer was for the PSP...well yeah having a remake only for the Ps2 version would be crazy (as in no way) anyway.

Mertz523
25th Jun 2007, 00:13
Apart from the aiming at two enemies at once, the video looked horrible to me. She looked like she moved EXACTLY as she did in AoD.

That just wouldn't do, at all. ****

I'm glad Crystal Dynamics did TRA. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. Core did well for the first 4 TR games. Better to remember them for that peak period rather than tarnishing their reputation with stuff like and similar to AoD.

Thanks Core for the initial TR games. Without you, we would have nothing. But we saw that your love for the character has faded, and it's not your fault. It was for the best that Lara found a new home with Crystal Dynamics. I know that they will truly treat and surprise us even more with each new release.

RuumTaedor
25th Jun 2007, 00:23
Well said, Mertz. Better to give credit where credit is due. :thumbsup:

Joshorty
25th Jun 2007, 01:36
Apart from the aiming at two enemies at once, the video looked horrible to me. She looked like she moved EXACTLY as she did in AoD.

That just wouldn't do, at all. ****

I'm glad Crystal Dynamics did TRA. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. Core did well for the first 4 TR games. Better to remember them for that peak period rather than tarnishing their reputation with stuff like and similar to AoD.

Thanks Core for the initial TR games. Without you, we would have nothing. But we saw that your love for the character has faded, and it's not your fault. It was for the best that Lara found a new home with Crystal Dynamics. I know that they will truly treat and surprise us even more with each new release.

You forgot to consider that the game was still in-development you know so obviously what you see in that trailer isn't 100% complete....and it's not really that their love for their character has faded...at least I don't think it's right to post the story here. But indeed without them, not even a Crystal Dynamic Tomb Raider game would even exist today.

Mertz523
25th Jun 2007, 02:09
Thanks, Ruum.

And Joshorty, AoD WAS developed and it had terrible control. Have you seen the GameTap documentaries? Core's love for Lara diminished and two employees admitted the team celebrated the death of Lara at the end of TLR, only to be thrown into Chronicles with, they also admitted, no love put into it. They were overworked. I don't blame them at all. They had a good run with the first 4 games. All good things inevitably come to an end one way or another, in a good way or a bad way, and unfortunately, it ended somewhat badly.

Not to be rude, but many on here feel the whole Core AE game is a dead issue. We have Crystal's version, that was developed, and it is grand. Better to just drop the whole Core issue altogether, 'cuz it will never see the light of day and talking about it is about as useful as an air conditioner in Anatarctica.

:)

Ricardo221
25th Jun 2007, 02:32
I was disappointed with Tomb Raider 2 and beyond because Lara kept killing people instead of wild animals. Venice in TR2 got way out of hand with all the thugs and dogs getting killed. If Core stuck to the "core" of Tomb Raider games and kept Lara underground, all would have been well and they probably wouldn't have gotten fired.

Also, Core sexualized Lara way too much. Remember Lara on the back of the TR2 box in a bikini carrying a big gun? Not even in the game. Just a cheap way to use sex as a selling point.

Here's hoping Crystal Dynamics keeps Lara employed as a spelunker and not just an artifact chaser in a people-populated world.

Qbert
25th Jun 2007, 04:07
Not to be rude, but many on here feel the whole Core AE game is a dead issue.

So is the CORE vs CD argument.

Qbert
25th Jun 2007, 04:12
Qbert, Core were bought out and no longer exist, the project was shelved. The game is not likely to be finished. Even if it was, a new company would have to complete it. No, we got Crystal Dynamics version instead! The videos you did see were leaked and you were not supposed to see them.

This should be public knowledge by now, so I don't know what else you're trying to imply here.

I'm thinking I'll just wait for a mod to chime in here and come up with some of the details on the whole situation. Slim chance anyone would allow us to know anything or find info on it, but I'd rather take my chances then to remain gagged on the subject. Maybe if we're lucky, there might be a site that kept track on everything. Who knows.

NaughtyGirl
25th Jun 2007, 04:22
Just a cheap way to use sex as a selling point.
:eek:

well thank goodness someone thought of a more expensive way!:lol:

Joshorty
25th Jun 2007, 04:50
And Joshorty, AoD WAS developed and it had terrible control. Have you seen the GameTap documentaries? Core's love for Lara diminished and two employees admitted the team celebrated the death of Lara at the end of TLR, only to be thrown into Chronicles with, they also admitted, no love put into it. They were overworked. I don't blame them at all. They had a good run with the first 4 games. All good things inevitably come to an end one way or another, in a good way or a bad way, and unfortunately, it ended somewhat badly.

Not to be rude, but many on here feel the whole Core AE game is a dead issue. We have Crystal's version, that was developed, and it is grand. Better to just drop the whole Core issue altogether, 'cuz it will never see the light of day and talking about it is about as useful as an air conditioner in Anatarctica.

:)
Yeah it's a dead issue but it's still okay to talk about it:D And well like I said, I wish I can bring the story that tells of the "other side" in CORE's studio but since this is the Eidos forums, I don't think I can even mention it (the reason I say "mention" is 'cause the source now is dead or lost:( It was a heavy topic in TRforums.com last year June, the time it was announced that the game was to be remade by Crystal D).

Well indeed what's done is done. And yeah the only thing I didn't like about CORE's move was the sex symbol magig-_-

Qbert
25th Jun 2007, 04:51
:eek:

well thank goodness someone thought of a more expensive way!:lol:

"Strip-joint marketing", that always gets ye rich!

Ghostwolfalpha
25th Jun 2007, 05:22
Last time I heard Core Design was bought by another game company called Rebellion Development but Eidos still the official owner of Core Design trademark. So whatever new games made by Core Design will be published under the name of it's new company. Core Design probably wouldn't dare to make its version of TR: Anniversary Edition because its new home company may get sued by Eidos.
It's all about business.

rabid metro
25th Jun 2007, 05:40
... since TRA has been out for awhile now, one would think that we'd be in the clear to openly discuss the game and the details going around it's development...

you could always discuss your opinions here about Core a/o the development of TRA. at any time ...

IMO, discussing Core has about as much potential as kissing your cousin.
i'm not trying to be rude, its just that this is all water under the bridge.
if you want to register an opinion about how Core was treated, so be it ...
???

what is it exactly that you want to talk about? ... (that isn't already public knowledge or pointless).
is there some truth out there that needs to be revealed??? else ... ???
BTW, Core had a proposal for TRA and the proposal was rejected (and never completed) ...
so there is no Core version of TRA (in a technical sense) ...

for example, here is one thing that is now certain (... pointless and public knowledge ...):
Core will never develop another Tomb Raider (even if CD manages to somehow botch it as Core did before them).

soooo, feel free to talk historical facts, or, if you prefer, your opinions... safely ...
on the other hand, is there really anything more that needs to be said?

*my spider senses are signalling extreme foolishness*

Mertz523
27th Jun 2007, 04:48
Thanks, Mr Metro. Well said.

gsusfrk
27th Jun 2007, 16:17
i wouldnt change anything, lovely game, lovely game indeed!

Atheist
27th Jun 2007, 17:21
I'm glad Crystal did it, and I'm glad Core did'nt. I'm sure that if Core did it, it would'nt be as great as it is.

My only worry is that CD won't grasp onto the feel of Tomb Raider, and ruin it. You could see in Legend that Tomb Raider was'nt what it was supposed to be.

I think the only reason CD did so good with Anniversary was because Toby Guard was there to make sure the game was true to the original.

Joshorty
27th Jun 2007, 17:28
you could always discuss your opinions here about Core a/o the development of TRA. at any time ...

IMO, discussing Core has about as much potential as kissing your cousin.
i'm not trying to be rude, its just that this is all water under the bridge.
if you want to register an opinion about how Core was treated, so be it ...
???

what is it exactly that you want to talk about? ... (that isn't already public knowledge or pointless).
is there some truth out there that needs to be revealed??? else ... ???
BTW, Core had a proposal for TRA and the proposal was rejected (and never completed) ...
so there is no Core version of TRA (in a technical sense) ...

for example, here is one thing that is now certain (... pointless and public knowledge ...):
Core will never develop another Tomb Raider (even if CD manages to somehow botch it as Core did before them).

soooo, feel free to talk historical facts, or, if you prefer, your opinions... safely ...
on the other hand, is there really anything more that needs to be said?

*my spider senses are signalling extreme foolishness*
Well technically, there is no Core version but by heart, fans know that one did exist anyway:D There is really no foolishness if people just talk and open up their opnions (whether we agree to it or not). I completely understand what you said there of course:)

Mangar The Dark
27th Jun 2007, 17:44
I think the only reason CD did so good with Anniversary was because Toby Guard was there to make sure the game was true to the original.

Toby was there for Legend, too.

But it will be interesting to see what happens with Legend 2. Will it feel more like Legend, or more like Anniversary. Personally, I'm hoping it feels like Anniversary.

LisaB1962
27th Jun 2007, 17:54
That's the million dollar question, isn't it? Which "Tomb Raider" will show up in the sequel to Legend. :scratch:

Atheist
27th Jun 2007, 18:05
Toby was there for Legend, too.

Oh. :scratch:
Well mabye he was asleep! :D

Towel
27th Jun 2007, 18:09
Yes I didnt feel legend as a tomb raider Game. I hope that CD wont Ruin Tomb raider.

TheRidster
27th Jun 2007, 19:23
This should be public knowledge by now, so I don't know what else you're trying to imply here.

I'm thinking I'll just wait for a mod to chime in here and come up with some of the details on the whole situation. Slim chance anyone would allow us to know anything or find info on it, but I'd rather take my chances then to remain gagged on the subject. Maybe if we're lucky, there might be a site that kept track on everything. Who knows.

What I am trying to imply is exactly what I wrote. The game was cancelled! Eidos made an official statement informing that it was cancelled and that Crystal Dynamics were making a version instead. I'd post a link to a site about it but not sure I am allowed. The video was for a PSP version that Core was supposedly delevoping. As Core do not exist anymore it could not be finsihed by them. I highly doubt eidos would ask Crystal Dynamics to complete it when thy have made their own version!

Dark Era
27th Jun 2007, 19:33
Core is taken over by SCi Entertainment Group. Core's version of Anniversary was running on a PSP engine but the project was cancelled by SCI.

gsusfrk
27th Jun 2007, 19:39
wow, that owuld suck eh! Someone comes in says, "I'm in charge now, and oh yea, remember those games: Tomb raider, that we used to make, oh yea I was supposed to tell you 8 months ago when we first bought this place out, because we're big greed me-monsters(watch brian regan if you dont know what that is) that love money, that we're cancelling everyhting you just made for the new Tomb Raider over the last 8 months and are going to start washing and polishing golf balls. Hey I hope you'll enjoy your stay because you're gunna be here for LIFE!!" lol, wow, I'd hate to be in CORE's shoes right about now.

LisaB1962
28th Jun 2007, 00:45
Core still exists. (http://www.core-design.com/) They continue to develop games.

I agree upon reading what documentation there is that Core appears to have been jilted about the game. I don't think they'd commit the resources to developing a new engine for the game w/o some sort of go-ahead from Eidos. But Eidos and SCI merged, and things clearly changed with new management. Plus CD had a successful game in Legend.

It would still be fun to play another version though, not necessarily to compare and declare a "winner", but just because the original is such a great game. Really, can we ever get enough? :D

Joshorty
28th Jun 2007, 01:39
Core still exists. (http://www.core-design.com/) They continue to develop games.

I agree upon reading what documentation there is that Core appears to have been jilted about the game. I don't think they'd commit the resources to developing a new engine for the game w/o some sort of go-ahead from Eidos. But Eidos and SCI merged, and things clearly changed with new management. Plus CD had a successful game in Legend.

It would still be fun to play another version though, not necessarily to compare and declare a "winner", but just because the original is such a great game. Really, can we ever get enough? :D
:thumbsup: And yeah I totally forgot about that SCI merged with Eidos and stuff.

TheRidster
28th Jun 2007, 01:48

Core were sold out and bought by Rebellion, also a computer games company. Eidos still own the Core brand however. After AOD failure I think it would be unlikely that eidos would appoint Rebellion to make any more Tombraiders. Never say never though and maybe one day in the future the project will be reinstated. At the moment it does not seem likely as we already have a remake.:p

NaughtyGirl
28th Jun 2007, 02:07
I wish I could play it.;) I'd play anything right now...because I'm just replayed out of my mind with Anniversary...and for a catsuit outfit.

It's funny to me how the old Core games, I would go back and want to play them (except AOD :p ), and the new CD have all these extras and all but I just can't work up any excitement over replaying it.

I don't know. Somehow refighting the TRex in the original, and fighting Sophia, or hanging with Werner as a little girl, or the river swimming with the piranhas, and even the evil little monkeys, and how the monks would turn all violent and beat up the hoodlums for you if you didn't shoot them, and Area 51 with the boat on fire and the alarm blaring, and I miss Core.

Sorry CD. I do think the graphics are awesome...but I want more substance!!! I have never before finished games so soon and I'm bored.:(

aussie500
28th Jun 2007, 05:51
l still happily play Tomb Raider 1 and Anniversary was a great game, but if they were to ever release the Core remake l would still buy it, l do have more than a slight preference for the more classic Tomb Raider games, and l am sure Core would have done a brilliant job on what should have been their final Tomb Raider game, alas fate was against them again and it will never be finished now :(