PDA

View Full Version : Somthing else to fix in 8

redfox45
23rd Jun 2007, 13:37
Somthing that bothered me when I went back to the levels was that when you activate somthing and a door opens or somthing is being moved you have to sit there and watch. I would like the ability to skip these as unless you are playing it for the first time you know exactly what is going to happen and somtimes its just painfully boring and irritating watching somthing slowly open and all you want to do is get back to the game. I dont know maybe im just impatient but especially when you are on a time trail is is just annoying no?

Phlip
23rd Jun 2007, 13:42
I understand and agree with you.

There should be an option for it in future.

LegendLost
23rd Jun 2007, 14:37
Oh god, and during the time trials I wanted to scream... Times ticking away and all they're doing is showing me that a door opened for like 5 seconds.....ugh.:mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

23rd Jun 2007, 16:27
Oh god, and during the time trials I wanted to scream... Times ticking away and all they're doing is showing me that a door opened for like 5 seconds.....ugh.:mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

Exactly! Specially with the cogs in Lost Valley!

Werner Von Croy
23rd Jun 2007, 16:35
The time trials i was pulling hair out, but when you were trying to get relics (Such as fire room in midas) i was huffing and puffing away :mad2:

Demarest
23rd Jun 2007, 16:36
The amount of time you're given was given to you be people that decided that it can be done in this amount of time, INCLUDING the time for such things. Besides, with the exception of the City of Vilcabamba's 2nd pole rotating and door opening slowly, none of them are longer than a few seconds time. That's part of the game. A negligible part. I guess I'm too busy enjoying the game to care ;)

Oh, and Anniversary IS the eighth TR.

redfox45
23rd Jun 2007, 22:13
The amount of time you're given was given to you be people that decided that it can be done in this amount of time, INCLUDING the time for such things. Besides, with the exception of the City of Vilcabamba's 2nd pole rotating and door opening slowly, none of them are longer than a few seconds time. That's part of the game. A negligible part. I guess I'm too busy enjoying the game to care ;)

Oh, and Anniversary IS the eighth TR.

(Well yes and no I suppose)

I honestly thaught I was going to come back to see a bunch of 'get over it's. Im glad im not alone:p .

richcsst
26th Jun 2007, 10:06
These time trials and the frustrating "checkpoint" system wouldn't be so bad if the programmers took into consideration that not everyone plays games 8 hours a day and has the reflexes of a Ninja. That vertical room in the great pyramid level has me so that I'm now getting to the point of looking for a cheat just to get past the thing. What was fun up to this point has now become tedious and frustrating. Stop using "professional" gamers as exclusive beta testers. The newbie and casual gamer must be taken into consideration.

Heck, maybe even some auto adjusting difficulty when the game sees you have died over fifteen times trying to do the same thing in the little time allotted. Maybe... perhaps... lengthening that time by small amounts over the course of deaths may just keep the game fun instead of frustrating. Ok, the programmer's egos too big to crack for that? How about the ability to manually change difficulty mid-game?

Oh, oh, why change the controls from what every Tomb Raider gamer has known for years? WHY? Here's an idea, "adrenaline mode" is dumb, stupid, and many more mean adjectives I'm too angry to think of right now. Yeah, I've finally figured out how (holding down the right mouse button is the key) no thanks to the manual. Once again...WHY?! This isn't the Matrix, it's Tomb Raider!:mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :nut:

Weapons, hmmm... let's take eight days to reload, especially the shotgun. Oh, and let's forget we had the right mouse button held when she gets knocked around. One must let go and re-depress it (annoying). Hey, let's make the enemies even tougher so when they shoot you, you get half your health gone and you knocked off your feet which means you are usually falling off the small ledge you're on no matter what, left to climb all the way back up because you can't save the game, except at "checkpoints".

If I wanted to play Duke Nukem with breasts, then maybe I'd have no complaints. However, this is Tomb Raider, the fighting and bosses don't need to be so severely (and quickly) deadly. It's all about puzzles, not hand grenades.

Cough... Don't get me wrong, I do like the game (with the exception of the above). The visuals are stunning. The lighting is breathtaking (I have a Nvidia 8800 Ultra). The "depth of field" focus effects are cool. The overbright sunlight and lava is almost real. The movement is smooth. The water and water effects are great. I like how Lara's clothes get darker "wet" when she is wet, and how water drips off of her and how her skin is shiny and wet looking, most realistic.

I was surprised, however, at her low polygon count. They could have made her look better, and no I'm not talking about "that" ...er... those.

The levels were different, yet familiar. They did bring back fond memories of ten years ago when I played the first.

Have I finished the game? No, as I stated above, I'm still stuck on that room's time trial trying to jump all over the place in 18 seconds, and dealing with a control system that doesn't work as intended.

I need to find a gaming Ninja now just to get past this part for me.... grrrrr....

(Well yes and no I suppose)

I honestly thaught I was going to come back to see a bunch of 'get over it's. Im glad im not alone:p .

Demarest
26th Jun 2007, 15:46
Have I finished the game? NoUm... You can't time trial a stage until you receive the option to Replay Level, which requires you to pass all the levels in a particular country. So in order to play time trials in the Great Pyramid, wouldn't you have to beat all of the Lost City stages, and therefore the game?

Also, nothing requires you to do the time trials. If they're not fun for you, you shouldn't use a video game to put yourself through misery. I'm guessing that those were thrown in because there are time trial communities popping up and speed running is a passtime that SOME players partake in.

And no, getting shot at in that chute didn't mean always falling down. Stick to one side of the platform and when you see them going to shoot, go to the other. You'll never get hit, lose life, or fly off the edge. It's the second to last stage and agreeably one of the hardest. The two SHOULD go hand in hand.

Mangar The Dark
26th Jun 2007, 16:02
Yeah, it would be nice to be able to skip some of the cutscenes, but it wouldn't really be fair to that in time trial mode, would it? After all, as demarest said, the programmers decided on those times based on how long it took them to get through the levels WITH the cutscenes in tact. If you skip the cutscene, technically, you'd be cheating by giving yourself an extra few seconds.

boots
26th Jun 2007, 16:25
Weapons, hmmm... let's take eight days to reload, especially the shotgun. Oh, and let's forget we had the right mouse button held when she gets knocked around. One must let go and re-depress it (annoying). Hey, let's make the enemies even tougher so when they shoot you, you get half your health gone and you knocked off your feet which means you are usually falling off the small ledge you're on no matter what, left to climb all the way back up because you can't save the game, except at "checkpoints".

I practically never use the shotgun except as a last resort since it's so annoying to reload in the middle of a fight. In the other games it wasn't so much of a problem, but now she has to stop whatever she's doing (i.e., trying not to get killed) and look down and reload it. They may as well have included an animation of her holding up a finger to the enemy and saying, "one second, if you don't mind!" Actually, that would have been pretty funny. :lol:

The button mashing to fire a gun is just absurd and I can't imagine why they put it in except to create unnecessary difficulty. The challenge should be in the game, not with the tools.

As for time trials... I don't like them, but some of the unlockables that you can only get by completing them are very tempting. So much so that I'm still trying to decide if I should go through with it. I like this game enough that I want to experience all of it and do as much as I possibly can... just short of breaking my PS2 in frustration. :rolleyes: Obviously though they're there for people who have had a lot more practice than I have so far. I can understand giving elite players that option, but with the dodgy controls even your own Rocky training montage isn't a guarantee that you'll be relying on skill even half the time.

I noticed that some cinematics pause the clock (have done it in the manor) and some don't. I'm not sure what the difference is but just the same, it's annoying to watch the clock run out just for some silly door. Although it's annoying to watch regardless. Yes, I'm impatient. :p In TR1 I'm pretty sure you could have moved Lara ahead a few steps in the time it took for one of those shots, couldn't you?

Atheist
26th Jun 2007, 16:38
There's nothing wrong with shotgun reloading.

If your deep in battle, with enemies knocking you down on all sides, use your pistols. Or some other weapon that reloads fast as your leaping about, flipping, doging and fighting.

If you have 1 or 2 enemies that attack slow but have high hit points, use the shotgun. You don't have to move so much and your dealing big hits. If you need to reload, run back and take a second out or hide.

It depends what scenario your in.

Demarest
26th Jun 2007, 17:32
I practically never use the shotgun except as a last resort since it's so annoying to reload in the middle of a fight. In the other games it wasn't so much of a problem, but now she has to stop whatever she's doing (i.e., trying not to get killed) and look down and reload it. They may as well have included an animation of her holding up a finger to the enemy and saying, "one second, if you don't mind!" Actually, that would have been pretty funny. :lol:

The button mashing to fire a gun is just absurd and I can't imagine why they put it in except to create unnecessary difficulty. The challenge should be in the game, not with the tools.

Good point at the end there. I still find it ironically amusing that you're talking against button "mashing" AND a weapon that delivers a lot more wallop per button press at the same time :lol:

I LOVE the Shotgun. For starters, there is SO MUCH ammo for this thing and you get it quite early. Seconly, it hurts. So much so that it stuns opponents if you hit point blank enough. This usually leads to me killing them before they can even get enraged. Plus, it is true to form, so you can actually hit more than one enemy with a single shot.

The button pressing is just realistic. One shot per trigger pull, except the Uzi, which is indeed full auto.

LisaB1962
26th Jun 2007, 17:43
The R1 button mashing is just one more step toward FPS-ville, a place I try to avoid by playing 3rd person adventure games.

It's pointless and boring, and it makes one of Tomb Raider's more attractive elements --- Lara's evasive maneuvers --- more difficult to perform. If I'm constantly pressing R1 to shoot, it makes pressing jump just that much more annoying. It's more fun to make Lara look cool than mash R1. :cool:

boots
26th Jun 2007, 18:08
Good point at the end there. I still find it ironically amusing that you're talking against button "mashing" AND a weapon that delivers a lot more wallop per button press at the same time :lol:

I LOVE the Shotgun. For starters, there is SO MUCH ammo for this thing and you get it quite early. Seconly, it hurts. So much so that it stuns opponents if you hit point blank enough. This usually leads to me killing them before they can even get enraged. Plus, it is true to form, so you can actually hit more than one enemy with a single shot.

I'm not saying it's not powerful, or useful or anything like that. But like Atheist said, it's not a weapon for fast moving enemies, which is all I've been encountering lately, thus spurring my comment. Before Egypt, the pistols were literally all I needed. Now that the enemies are tougher, closer and quicker I need to kill them faster - but the shotgun isn't the tool I need for this situation.

Mind, in the other games I used it constantly, second only to the uzi's. So I don't hate the shotgun! I love it, in fact. But for me it hasn't been as useful. :)

edit: Er, I just realized I said it was useful, and then I said it wasn't. Hopefully in context it makes sense. I really need to reread my posts more carefully before I hit the submit button. :nut: Whoops.

I stand by the button-mashing comment though :D And while you're right, it's more realistic, I think personally I'd rather sacrifice that little lifelike detail in favor of keeping all my fingers intact. The focus of TR was never combat anyway, there are plenty of other games for that... and there's a reason I don't play them. ;)

LisaB... well said. My thoughts exactly.

Raziel_Requiem
27th Jun 2007, 14:20
What exactly does the OP mean by

"Somthing else to fix in 8"
8 what?
8 minutes?
8 cities around the world?

anyway with regards to the actual post,
at least you have the option to skip cinematics in the 7th and 8th main Tomb Raider titles.

NaughtyGirl
27th Jun 2007, 15:03
the cutscenes are a waste of time....literally.

How about adjusting time with difficulty mode...Easy addtl 5-10 seconds, medium-addtl 3 seconds, and hard-absolute minimum time by a professional. That would have made sense to me. As it is I have 6 artifacts left and I doubt I will ever be able to get them.

I was no fan of the continual pressing of R1 to shoot either, especially since over the last 10 ten years, I was used to press and automatic shoot....so in the beginning I'm thinking...WTF, why is this game not shooting? And int he theat of battle I would still sometimes forget and start flipping about and then realize I hadn't shot anything!!:whistle:

Mangar The Dark
27th Jun 2007, 15:59
I haven't even noticed any excessive button mashing in TRA. Don't you just press shoot when you want to shoot? What's so bad about that?

The funny thing is, people complained before, "I hate the fact that CD's TR games do everything automatically! I WANT to have to push a button to grab things, etc... I want to feel like I'm in total control... I don't want the game doing it for me." And now that we have to click a mouse button when we want to shoot, people are complaining that there's too much button mashing.

Demarest
27th Jun 2007, 17:11
What exactly does the OP mean by

"Somthing else to fix in 8"

TRA is the eighth TR. He's saying that these are things that should be fixed in a patch.

The funny thing is, people complained before, "I hate the fact that CD's TR games do everything automatically! I WANT to have to push a button to grab things, etc... I want to feel like I'm in total control... I don't want the game doing it for me." And now that we have to click a mouse button when we want to shoot, people are complaining that there's too much button mashing.

Yep. Same with the controls. Everybody said their complaint was the controls are rigid. Now that they're not, they're complaining that they missed the rigid :lol:

@NG: *Shoot (my keyboard doesn't have R1. neither do XBox users ;))

Atheist
27th Jun 2007, 17:24
You can skip cutscene's cant you? So why can't you skip the 'introductions'?
They annoyed me in Legend too, though there was'nt so many.

They should really add an skip option to them.

Rai
27th Jun 2007, 18:30
When the original poster says '8', what game are they referring too? TR8 or Legend 2 hasn't been made yet so cannot be fixed. Can't fix that which aint broke!

TRA is a remake - or reimagining, so does not come under the usual numbering.

;)

redfox45
27th Jun 2007, 18:30
I have never done the time trails and I dont intend to, the cheats just are not worth the stress! I have everything else so im happy.

Mangar The Dark
27th Jun 2007, 18:40
When the original poster says '8', what game are they referring too? TR8 or Legend 2 hasn't been made yet so cannot be fixed. Can't fix that which aint broke!

;)

I assume they're refering to Legend 2. True, it's not out yet, but it's like saying, "Hey, this is a problem in TRA, so we'd like to have this problem fixed in TR8." In other words, it's merely suggesting ways to improve things in the sequel. Makes sense to me.

Atheist
27th Jun 2007, 18:42

;)

They mean that there's something in Anniversary that should be fixed for TR8. Oviously it can't be fixed now because the game is out, but it can be fixed for later games.

Ethier that or by TR8 they mean Anniversary.

Demarest
27th Jun 2007, 22:25

Well it's Eidos's game and they called the eighth game Anniversary and the ninth one (tentatively) Legend 2. If we call them by their names, we can avoid the disagreement.

If you insist on calling games by number that have no number, you must resort to common naming conventions. As this is a completely different game than TR and uses a slightly different engine than TR7, it is TR8.

At this point, it's quite irrelevant. The author's intentions were to voice what he viewed as potential areas of improvement and he did that.

richcsst
30th Jun 2007, 06:05
Oh, excuse me for my misstatement of terms. I'm not talking about Level Time Trials, as you so brilliantly misunderstood. I'm talking about things you must do before a hidden timer runs out, not THE time trial.

I don't think I could have been any clearer in my meaning. Read the WHOLE post before replying to a nitpicked portion of it.

Since you based your reply on an incorrect assumption, I must congratulate you on time well wasted. Feels pretty frustrating doesn't it? Now you comprehend (is it possible?) my frustration with a specific timed portion of a level in the game.

Um... You can't time trial a stage until you receive the option to Replay Level, which requires you to pass all the levels in a particular country. So in order to play time trials in the Great Pyramid, wouldn't you have to beat all of the Lost City stages, and therefore the game?

Also, nothing requires you to do the time trials. If they're not fun for you, you shouldn't use a video game to put yourself through misery. I'm guessing that those were thrown in because there are time trial communities popping up and speed running is a passtime that SOME players partake in.

And no, getting shot at in that chute didn't mean always falling down. Stick to one side of the platform and when you see them going to shoot, go to the other. You'll never get hit, lose life, or fly off the edge. It's the second to last stage and agreeably one of the hardest. The two SHOULD go hand in hand.

richcsst
30th Jun 2007, 06:22
Alas, someone who understood what I was writing about.:thumbsup:

Man, a simple comic relief thing like "...one second, if you don't mind!" would have added a few more points on my approval scale, and perhaps eased a bit of my current frustration :lmao:

The shotgun sucks usually, but on occasion it can get me out of a bind, like it did in TR1. The reloading part is a bit annoying. TR was never a bastion for reality, why try to spoil the fantasy with more realism in game play?

One more thing... Did you ever wonder where Lara keeps those infinite number of clips? Hmmm.....

I'm an old fart, I played the first TR when it came out, and I had my 3DFX card. I really got used to the num-pad control method and became excellent at it. I liked being able to get Lara spun around by hitting "5", or panning the camera around by holding "0" and the direction keys. I liked the high jumping, the doing cartwheels in the air all while shooting. I liked her predictability with the controls. I liked the "RC Car" method of direction control, ie. left meant Lara's left always, etc. Console games have really ruined PC gaming and PC gaming controls. "Classic Keyboard" should have been a choice in options.

The worst things ever to come to PC games from console games was the ever annoying "checkpoint".

As for time trials... I don't like them, but some of the unlockables that you can only get by completing them are very tempting. So much so that I'm still trying to decide if I should go through with it. I like this game enough that I want to experience all of it and do as much as I possibly can... just short of breaking my PS2 in frustration. :rolleyes: Obviously though they're there for people who have had a lot more practice than I have so far. I can understand giving elite players that option, but with the dodgy controls even your own Rocky training montage isn't a guarantee that you'll be relying on skill even half the time.

I noticed that some cinematics pause the clock (have done it in the manor) and some don't. I'm not sure what the difference is but just the same, it's annoying to watch the clock run out just for some silly door. Although it's annoying to watch regardless. Yes, I'm impatient. :p In TR1 I'm pretty sure you could have moved Lara ahead a few steps in the time it took for one of those shots, couldn't you?

Mertz523
30th Jun 2007, 18:08
I have never done the time trails and I dont intend to, the cheats just are not worth the stress! I have everything else so im happy.

Glad I'm not the only one in thinking that!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

WaterRabbit
30th Jun 2007, 21:37
Alas, someone who understood what I was writing about.:thumbsup:

Man, a simple comic relief thing like "...one second, if you don't mind!" would have added a few more points on my approval scale, and perhaps eased a bit of my current frustration :lmao:

The shotgun sucks usually, but on occasion it can get me out of a bind, like it did in TR1. The reloading part is a bit annoying. TR was never a bastion for reality, why try to spoil the fantasy with more realism in game play?

One more thing... Did you ever wonder where Lara keeps those infinite number of clips? Hmmm.....

I'm an old fart, I played the first TR when it came out, and I had my 3DFX card. I really got used to the num-pad control method and became excellent at it. I liked being able to get Lara spun around by hitting "5", or panning the camera around by holding "0" and the direction keys. I liked the high jumping, the doing cartwheels in the air all while shooting. I liked her predictability with the controls. I liked the "RC Car" method of direction control, ie. left meant Lara's left always, etc. Console games have really ruined PC gaming and PC gaming controls. "Classic Keyboard" should have been a choice in options.

The worst things ever to come to PC games from console games was the ever annoying "checkpoint".

I have to agree with this sentiment -- the "checkpoint" system is annyoing to a PC Gamer. I want to save where I want and when I want. What is even more annoying is when they throw a checkpoint into a timed run such as in the Obelisk of Khamoon going for the first artifact. The checkpoint should be at the switch and none between you and the artifact so if you fail you at least can start over at that point.

I too miss the one button reverse, but a reverse jump while swinging the mouse almost accomplishes the samething.

Move around the controls isn't such a big problem, but one would think that both Legend and TRA would have the same default controls.

I would also be amoung those that thinks the "adrenline dodge" system is lame. The problem with it is two-fold: 1) it is really only useful in the "boss" fights, since in the other fights you can find a ledge or block or something to gun down the creature; 2) because of this it isn't something that can be "practised" without going through the tedious "boss" fights over and over again.

At least in the centaur battle the checkpoint was useful. In the T-Rex battle the checkpoint needs to be after the video not before it. But again this would not be a problem if we could save where we wanted like the original game.

I personally have always found the boss fights tedious. For the most part, we shouldn't need to even use the guns to win the battle -- it should involve more maneuver.

I would also like to point out that the Dirk the Dragonslayer moves was lame back in the '80s -- I cannot for the life of my figure out why they resurrected such a clumsy mechanic. I guess this is another example of programming for consoles creates lame mechanics.

boots
30th Jun 2007, 22:51
I would also be amoung those that thinks the "adrenline dodge" system is lame. The problem with it is two-fold: 1) it is really only useful in the "boss" fights, since in the other fights you can find a ledge or block or something to gun down the creature; 2) because of this it isn't something that can be "practised" without going through the tedious "boss" fights over and over again.

Erm, if you wanted to eliminate problem 1 (and subsequently 2) you could just choose to ignore the ledges. Sure they're still there, but if you really wanted to practice on lesser enemies then don't use them? Surely?

Not to sound picky, but to say it can't be practiced because of something like that is simply not true. I've taken the time out to practice the adrenaline dodge many times on smaller enemies, because I knew I would need it whether I liked it or not, so I may as well figure out what I'm doing. There are plenty of open spaces to do that. It helped a lot for when I got to the actual boss fights. YMMV though. For the record, I still think there should have been some way to practice it at the manor **** and if they did decide to leave out the adrenaline dodge in other games I would not lose a wink of sleep over it.

The checkpoint thing is something I've been wondering about. As someone who finished TR2 before playing 1, I had no love for the save crystal system they used. But I found that for the most part in TRA they aren't a problem because they're so ubiquitous (I believe Toby even mentioned it in the commentaries in the Lost Valley level) that most of the time you don't actually have to do that much to get back to where you were. Key phrase: in most cases. And only if you don't do something stupid like get through a hard fight and then decide you can do it better, so you save it, try again, fail, and try to load the successful save... only to find that there IS no save because the last checkpoint was just before the fight. And then you can't do it again at all for at least ten tries. ... Not that that's ever happened to me. :whistle:

So I still don't like checkpoint systems, but I personally think TRA's is nearly good enough for "load anywhere" people. I can definitely understand why that's not everyone's opinion though. :D

Wallas
1st Jul 2007, 02:00
I completely agree with what people have said about the controls functionality.

I work for a major game developer, and the one thing that I can't figure out is why Eidos/Crystal Dynamics makes something as basic as the gameplay controls so difficult to understand and learn. There's really nothing fun about controls that don't function consistently every time. It would be like having the 'walk forward' key sometimes not doing anything at all. That's not fun or challenging - it's just annoying and frustrating.

I absolutely love the Tomb Raider franchise and have been waiting for the re-make of the original game for quite some time now. And it really sucks to know that I’m not going to be able to play through this entire game because of the poor choice of gameplay functionality, which results in constant frustration.

The intro cut-scenes can also be a source of annoyance. Why would you not even put in the option to skip past them? No fancy interface option needs to be made; just simply being able to hit Esc to skip them would be enough, as most gamers automatically go to the Esc key to bypass things like cinematics/cut-scenes anyway.

There are ways to make a game challenging, while still being fun for the player; however, creating difficult in-game controls is not one of them. Maybe some people enjoy that added level of inconsistency when playing? Well that’s fine, then simply add the option to turn it on and off and everyone is happy.

TheRidster
1st Jul 2007, 02:17
I completely agree with what people have said about the controls functionality.

I work for a major game developer, and the one thing that I can't figure out is why Eidos/Crystal Dynamics makes something as basic as the gameplay controls so difficult to understand and learn. There's really nothing fun about controls that don't function consistently every time. It would be like having the 'walk forward' key sometimes not doing anything at all. That's not fun or challenging - it's just annoying and frustrating.

I absolutely love the Tomb Raider franchise and have been waiting for the re-make of the original game for quite some time now. And it really sucks to know that I’m not going to be able to play through this entire game because of the poor choice of gameplay functionality, which results in constant frustration.

The intro cut-scenes can also be a source of annoyance. Why would you not even put in the option to skip past them? No fancy interface option needs to be made; just simply being able to hit Esc to skip them would be enough, as most gamers automatically go to the Esc key to bypass things like cinematics/cut-scenes anyway.

There are ways to make a game challenging, while still being fun for the player; however, creating difficult in-game controls is not one of them. Maybe some people enjoy that added level of inconsistency when playing? Well that’s fine, then simply add the option to turn it on and off and everyone is happy.

I agree with what you say about the controls being to difficult to master imo. In all my time playing games I have never had such a hard time learning controls and moves as i did with this game. I found both the adrenaline dodge and the wall run both difficult to get the hang of. I appreciate that some people found these moves quite easy to master but to many the learning curve was steep.

richcsst
1st Jul 2007, 03:05
Go read what he was replying to before giving me a lecture. It just makes you look stupid. Had you read it, you would have seen his "advice" was condescending and had nothing to do with what I was mentioning. He didn't read the whole post to get context. He read the first line and replied to it, without getting the context of the whole post. For example, he was just like an airplane pilot giving a boat captain the advice to "pull up" to avoid the land ahead. Maybe the captain was going to pull into port, moor offshore, or go change headings. The airplane pilot was clueless in all aspects. This was this guy.

A purple goth Lara??? Get a life.:lol: Being lectured to by an idiot is tedious. Being lectured to by two clueless idiots is a waste of my precious time. Your lecture to me seems to apply to you and him more. Practice what you preach.

Now that you got that out of your system, perhaps you can join the FORUM. Where social skills are useful, saying what you mean is imperative, and using one post to speak your piece instead of two consecutive ones made at the same time is respectful ;)

Hippie
1st Jul 2007, 04:56
I guess I'm just too easy to please. I liked the Adrenaline Dodge. Went back to a few areas, like the Coliseum in Greece and did a flip over the gorillas to kill them. I liked the wall runs with the grappler.

I liked Croft Manor. We got to go outside, get some fresh air.

Throughout this forum, people said they wished there were more puzzles. From what I remember, especially in TR4-Revelation, there weren't that many difficult puzzles, just memorable ones. I remember a lot of running and shooting and jumping and swimming and using a lot of medipacks in the old series of games.

And there were brain teasers in this game that just didn't seem like brain teasers. Like how to beat the Centaurs. A lot of people's favorite subject. If you weren't gonna refer to the walkthrough or some other cheat, enough happend in the battle to let you know a few things. I turned Lara into stone enough times to realize, this was the story of Medusa. I wasn't playing the game when I realized that you probably need to grapple the shields away. I was doing something else and thought of the battle with Rutland in Ghana from Legend. You had to grapple the ledges down that he was standing on. I learned from these two Legend Lara games that if you can't just shoot it down, then you grapple it down.

You guys and gals make some good points, and you're not wrong. It's just that what you didn't like about the game is what I loved about the game. If I didn't get a headache, then it was a good game for me. And I didn't get a headache. Just tired, from playing until 2 a.m., and then having to get up and go to work until 6 p.m.

And I know you're all looking forward to the next game, and not because of what you didn't like about this game. If they take out stuff like the Adrenaline Dodge, that's fine, because I'm sure they'll put something else in that will have a lot of people back here screaming for help...

Yep. Same with the controls. Everybody said their complaint was the controls are rigid. Now that they're not, they're complaining that they missed the rigid :lol:

Look at it this way, if these things weren't in the game, then coming here to the forum wouldn't be an interesting part of the Tomb Raider experience.

All I wanna know about the next game...is where the story is going.

CatSuit&Ponytail
1st Jul 2007, 07:36
I'd like to remind you all that this forum is not the place where one comes to carry out flaming or insults against other members.

Keep your conversations polite.

Thanks.

TR4ever
1st Jul 2007, 13:12
I like the slow opening mode, gives a creepy mood to the thing, besides those doors aren´t used in years so its more relistic

Hippie
1st Jul 2007, 14:13
I'd like to remind you all that this forum is not the place where one comes to carry out flaming or insults against other members.

Keep your conversations polite.

Thanks.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to insult anyone. Everyone here makes really good points and I can see where they are coming from with their likes and dislikes. I just found it interesting that what everyone disliked is what I liked about the game. I have to remember though, that everyone is reading these posts and not able to actually hear what I say, so some things can be misconstruded. If I insulted anyone, I'm truely sorry.

NaughtyGirl
1st Jul 2007, 14:27
she's not talking about you hippie:rasp:

what an ego!:lol:

TheRidster
1st Jul 2007, 14:30
Sorry, I wasn't trying to insult anyone. Everyone here makes really good points and I can see where they are coming from with their likes and dislikes. I just found it interesting that what everyone disliked is what I liked about the game. I have to remember though, that everyone is reading these posts and not able to actually hear what I say, so some things can be misconstruded. If I insulted anyone, I'm truely sorry.

Dont worry about it! I think she was talking to richcsst for his uncalled for disparaging remarks.
Also richcsst, the person who was 'lecturing' you and the person who give you incorrect advice was the same person. Not two different people as your post implies. Its something to think about the next time you want to insult someone for making a mistake.

Hippie
1st Jul 2007, 14:35
she's not talking about you hippie:rasp:

what an ego!:lol:

Oh, well, her post was after mine...and...I just thought...but now that I see...I'm just a sensitive guy. :o

NaughtyGirl
1st Jul 2007, 15:00
awwww....did you need a hug?:D

now, enough with the spat o'the day and keep it moving. :p

(although a little flame here and there keeps it spicy):whistle: otherwise what are we supposed to talk about....Lara Croft or something?:eek:

WaterRabbit
1st Jul 2007, 18:19
Erm, if you wanted to eliminate problem 1 (and subsequently 2) you could just choose to ignore the ledges. Sure they're still there, but if you really wanted to practice on lesser enemies then don't use them? Surely?

Not to sound picky, but to say it can't be practiced because of something like that is simply not true. I've taken the time out to practice the adrenaline dodge many times on smaller enemies, because I knew I would need it whether I liked it or not, so I may as well figure out what I'm doing. There are plenty of open spaces to do that. It helped a lot for when I got to the actual boss fights. YMMV though. For the record, I still think there should have been some way to practice it at the manor **** and if they did decide to leave out the adrenaline dodge in other games I would not lose a wink of sleep over it.

The checkpoint thing is something I've been wondering about. As someone who finished TR2 before playing 1, I had no love for the save crystal system they used. But I found that for the most part in TRA they aren't a problem because they're so ubiquitous (I believe Toby even mentioned it in the commentaries in the Lost Valley level) that most of the time you don't actually have to do that much to get back to where you were. Key phrase: in most cases. And only if you don't do something stupid like get through a hard fight and then decide you can do it better, so you save it, try again, fail, and try to load the successful save... only to find that there IS no save because the last checkpoint was just before the fight. And then you can't do it again at all for at least ten tries. ... Not that that's ever happened to me. :whistle:

So I still don't like checkpoint systems, but I personally think TRA's is nearly good enough for "load anywhere" people. I can definitely understand why that's not everyone's opinion though. :D

Outside of the Boss battles, the adrenaline dodge works poorly due to the confined spaces, multiple enemies, or by the time they rage they are dead. I much preferred the combat in Legends over this lame mechanic (jumping on the bad guys and pistol whipping them was very cool).

It requires the proper alignment of several variables. Against a single opponent like the T-Rex where there is plenty of room to maneuver is when it works the best. However, against multiple opponents (like the centaurs or the two mummies at the beginning of the Egypt level) invariable just as you get the shot lined up, the other opponent(s) will plow into you ruining the shot.

To get it to work properly:
1) Lara must have an opponent that doesn't die too quickly;
2) Lara must have enough separation between her and her opponent;
3) Lara must have the correct viewing angle;
4) Lara must have target locked;
5) Lara must choose the correct direction to dodge (which varies)
6) Lara must not be interrupted between the time she starts the dodge until she can perform the head shot (difficult with multiple opponents).

Outside of the boss battles the separation between Lara and the target is usually the problem. I think there is about 4 battles which have enough space to create the proper separation and don't have opponents that drop too quickly.

The primary problem with the checkpoint system is that during certain timed sequences (the relic in the flame room in Midas place and the first artifact in the second Egypt level) in which they insert a checkpoint between the logical start and the objective.

At least in the Midas place timed run they place a checkpoint at the switch so you can create a saved game there. However, they put a checkpoint just before you hit the pressure plate -- which means if you make a mistake and forgot to create an actual saved game, you have go through the complete sequence to get to the switch.

In the Obelisk of Khamoon they don't create a checkpoint at the switch, but they do create one about halfway through the 90 second timed run. If you fail (which is very easy) you have to go back to the checkpoint where you grab the ankh.

Again very lame.

Most people on this forum are probably too young to remember the 1982 "Dragon's Lair" video game featuring "Dirk the Daring". However, the video sequences where you have to hit a button in the correct direction are based upon this game. It was lame then and its lame now. It violates the primary rule of storytelling by taking freedom of movement away from the character. It is a cheesy arcade mechanic to keep the player feeding quarters to the machine.

Wrath of Raziel
1st Jul 2007, 19:39
I agree with Hippie. I thought Anniversary was made & produced very well. Toby Gard & Crystal Dynamics did a fantastic job. The adrenaline dodge couldn't be more flawless. It ran smooth as silk. There was sufficient running room to pull that maneuver everytime. Whenever there are multiple enemies, just keep rolling to evade their attacks, then shoot. The combat system is great.

I loved how they transformed the T-Rex, the two centaurs, & the legless monster battles into a bossfight, simply brilliant. The background ambience and musical score sets the mood nicely. Lara showed emotion throughout the entire game- you could even feel it the top-notch voice acting, splendid job. Then there were characters that you just love to hate... ie, Pierre. It would've been awesome to put a bullet in his sheepish grin. But, that didn't happen, oh well.

Anyway, I just had to say my piece, because I'm reading a lot of haters in this forum. I played the original ground-breaking Tomb Raider game for Sega Saturn eleven years ago, when I turned 20 years old. It is still my favorite, even to this day. Anniversary I believe in many ways is better than the original.

So once again thank you Toby Gard & Crystal Dynamics, tremendous job! Also thank you for a future Xbox360 version of Anniversary. I will happily purchase the retail version with a spring in my step & a smile on my face.

ps. Eidos or Crystal Dynamics, I know this is a long shot, but....... are there any talks about a new Soul Reaver? Sure hope so. Another quality series in my opinion. Thanks.

tiger
1st Jul 2007, 22:19
I really enjoy hearing all of the positive comments about TRA.
(It is a "very pretty" game with lots of unique creativity and lots of fun stuff. But the true gamer-side of me, still appreciates the nags or negatives, also.) :thumbsup:

Btw I have done map or level-mods, user.ini tricks, C-code programming and a variety of others on all sorts of diverse games. And over those years of "just having fun with a game", I am usually aiming at the "do-ables" that might just adjust a game's implied "defaults and needs".

So, , , HELLO THERE, CD! :rasp:
(Sorry, I know that you're not EVEN here and I couldn't resist a raz.)

BTW I've got over a dozen AutoHotKey PC tricks that I would love to share, but I simply can't, because that AHK utility might be far too complex, especially for our younger players and it might even be a bit dangerous, when they return to Windows and forget to turn it off? (like Ouch for any sort of word-processing!) :o
AutoHotkey is a free, open-source utility for Windows. (http://www.autohotkey.com/)

Anyway, simply pass me your "Console Commands" with a listing and an easy to edit User.ini file (NotePad works well enough) and THEN I'll try to share my key-tricks and some "normal" cheats from a LOT of UnReal-based games, okay? :)

AND if your Console Commands are diverse, enough, then we can simply skip all of those third-party cheating mods, below. . . Okay? ? ?

CD, I figure that it is time to re-awaken our audience, after my boring reply. :D But be very careful with these cheats because some are VIRUS-based ones! :( And because CD didn't provide these as simply "game player options", as most companies do, then here are some trainers for you to enjoy as "do-ables", right now! (PS, I haven't needed, tested or played around with most of them.)

So I'm just leaving that one, TOTALLY ALONE, until I really have a need for a marginal "Walk Through Walls" cheat, which a good "Ghost" or "Fly" cheat from CD's Console Commands should solve MUCH BETTER, anyway! :thumbsup:

. . . Hello CD, are your here or "just, out-there, some-where"? ? ? :cool:

Jezyk
1st Jul 2007, 22:42
I totally agree on:
- the checkpoints!!! One should AT LEAST be able to save the progress (you know, like saving the moved blocks, killed enemies etc. but then starting from the place where the checkpoint is). In some places I've been just going mad. Obelisk of Khamoon and The Great Pyramid are the worse; still haven't beat the vertical room in TGP and I don't even want to think how many tries are ahead of me before I do :mad2:. I missed 2 artifacts on The Obelisk not because I didn't know where they were, but because I had enough of trying to get them;
- wall running... well it's Lara Croft, not Prince of Persia. IMHO it doesn't stick to the series, but that's not such a big problem. The worse thing is jumping 90 degrees off the wall; it's really hard to master and, ironically, it often finishes long sequences after the checkpoint (i.e. Natla's Mines or the artifact in The Obelisk); if you fail, you have to go through the series of simple jumping and ledge grabbing that you already perfectly know, just to retry the difficult wall jump. It's no challenge, it's simply irritating (though it wouldn't be so bad if there was the PC saving system, not the checkpoints:/).
- I also think one should be able to skip these "the door opens" pieces after the first view, it's not a great problem, but I agree it's boring when you keep dying in some place (like for instant I had on the time run through the tops of the statues in the Temple of Khamoon) and have to watch them move over and over again

About the adrenaline rush... well, I like it :) It's a bit too matrix-like, but it's also spectacular and useful (usually finishes the beast off). I find it useless only in corridors and when Lara is close to some statue or other block. In other cases it almost always works, even with multiple enemies - I never find them attacking me and breaking the rush (I was quite surprised to see such an opinion). It's also not that difficult to master, if you practice it, you success like 95% of the time (as opposed to wall jupimg :nut: )

For those who don't like it that people are complaining... well think of it, most of these guys seem to be TR fans for years now, if they (we :) ) get irritated so much about something it must really be worth it.

Scorpio2
3rd Jul 2007, 03:40
Can someone tell me, after days and days...maybe weeks now? How do you shoot those red circles when you are flying through the air after the "beep"??? I can't figure out what people are saying when they tell you to "lock" on to the target, keep shooting, and then when T-Rex charges, do the AD! Can't do all that at once on the PC! Also, it is very difficult to position yourself, while shooting and running, in front of those spiked wooden walls! I keep passing them when I finally do the AD! AND, I NEVER see any cross-hairs! When do they appear. This game is going no where, and I really love TR. I've played them all and loved TR L, but I am really stopped cold in this one!:scratch:

Demarest
3rd Jul 2007, 04:42
Can't do all that at once on the PC!Any ONE direction and Crouch/Roll makes for two keys ;)

I keep passing them when I finally do the AD! AND, I NEVER see any cross-hairs!I've read people say you have to Aim, but I never have to. Near as I can tell, it depends on your Battle Mode. I have mine set to Advanced Toggle and I never have to Aim. If yours is set to the default (I think it's called manual), you will have to press Aim.

The_Hylden
3rd Jul 2007, 06:53
Well, I love the game's controls, shooting, timing, etc (except maybe that the auto target locks on to objects rather than enemies in her face at times... or enemies above...). I have no problem with anything that's been added by CD and think it's totally a great step above Legend, which I thought rocked pretty nicely as a 3d person action adventure game, ala the Legacy of Kain series (me, compare them? Nah...:p). However, I do have one complaint. I too am about to be fed up with the ventricle room thing in the great pyramid, but not because I can't see it can be done. On the contrary, the control set-up for the gamepad being unalterable on PC is what's making it next to impossible, perhaps impossible and unduly frustrating. While I love the control scheme, it has a flaw I've been having to ignore up until now. The left analog stick's trigger button when depressed, as will happen in most any tense situation that arises naturally as you simply cannot every time remember not to press a little bit harder when in those situations, pauses the game! So, mid-jump, over lava, on the most harsh timed trials I've yet seen in the game, doing a myriad of moves, pause, pause, pause. Each time it pauses, btw, the only way to UN-pause it is to let go of the controller with one of your hands and reach over to press the ESC button. So, if the button to jump didn't register when I try and get her to jump off of a wall, let's say, in the other direction, then she will fall as soon as I press ESC. Or, even if she will jump, which does happen, I then have to get my hand back on the controller and redirect her movements and my own brain. So, I am juggling two things at once, trying to execute timing jumps. I guarantee you, the other complaints here are mild compared to this... Is there ANY way to change the controls on the gamepad for TRA?? I mean, just disabling the left control stick's button somehow would do it... It doesn't NEED a function. It's completely in the way...

Any help would be appreciated. I know I am right near the end... Damn:(

Demarest
3rd Jul 2007, 07:49
Well, I love the game's controls, shooting, timing, etc (except maybe that the auto target locks on to objects rather than enemies in her face at times... or enemies above...).

I agree with this. I'm pretty lenient with my judgement of this game, but this is a pretty bad oversight.

As for your problem, I MAY be able to help you. I'm not foolish enough to hook up a controller when I'm fortunate enough to have the superior keyboard and mouse already :rasp: but I too have had a "frozen" pause menu. Know what works for me? Aim. I tap aim and it takes me out of the pause menu. If you press it too long, she WILL pull out guns and aim (think you have to be standing on ground though). See if that works for you.

The_Hylden
3rd Jul 2007, 10:17
I'm not foolish enough to hook up a controller when I'm fortunate enough to have the superior keyboard and mouse already :rasp:

What? Blasphemy, you say:p Honestly, for platformer games like this, 3-D jumping and action/adventure stuff, using a keyboard and mouse just doesn't cut it for me, but to each their own on that one. A FPS, though, keyboard and mouse all the way.

I might not have tapped aim light enough, or something, but she just kept pulling out her guns. However, and there's a lesson here somewhere:p, I went back and tackled it while not as tense from seeing this crazy mix of those damn annoying skinned bat-men flying about out of targeting range with her on the small ledge and firing those projectiles that made her bounce around in many amusing/frustrating-to-see ways, falling lots 'o times in the lava, then having to switch to that timed jumping insanity they stuck in there. However, with my thumb not accidentally pressing too hard because of the speed and tenseness of my surprised reactions, so without the ridiculous nuisance of the pause menus popping up mid-every changed jump maneuver, or failed attempt, I actually was able to get past this spot on my own, only dying another 20 times, or so:p Wow, is all I need say to that... Now, if I can do it with that type of retarded distraction, there's hope for everyone else here:p

Seriously, once you're past that one spot mid-way up that room in question, the rest isn't as bad. Oh sure, more of the same, with more flying pests popping out at you, blasting you around into the lava even farther up now, on smaller ledges, but they didn't kill me as much as in that one spot and if you can run around on the ledge in just the right way, she finally *does* target them (yeah, nice to know, eh?:p). The other jumping maneuvers aren't as tricky either. Then, fought the "Final Confrontation" boss after watching a certain lady fall, heh (how's that for vague?), which also is interesting using this auto target problematic system, because you have to run up on him to switch the target to the other spot... Good times, lol, but I beat him. Except! That's not the end, so I am taking a break from finding my way out of this place and fighting more Atlantian nightmares. Oh, that "face yourself" type deal was pretty sweet. I won't say anymore for anyone else:D I took a pic, though.

Night, thanks for the help also. I'll battle this thing despite the control glitch. However, if Eidos is listening, make a patch, or something, nullifying the left trigger button on the left analogue stick, will ya? Just let me disable it, please! The WORST place for a pause button in the history of pause button layouts, hands down -_- *sigh* great game otherwise, though. Oh, camera has some weird tendencies late in the game also, but that's when I *do* appreciate the mouse, as I can always move it where it needs to be using it.

Edit: btw, Demarest, with that sig of yours esspecially, you remind me of someone else:p

Jezyk
3rd Jul 2007, 11:11
I don't know if this is an official topic for suggestions, but I've got some more and maybe someone will see it..
- about the difficult jumps and Lara locking the target on wrong objects/enemies. I think there should be an action pause mode (like in RTS') when you could choose your target and plan or at least try out the directions. Like - you pause, press the key and there's an arrow showing where Lara will go. This would eliminate the unpredictibility of her moves.
- wall running camera must be fixed! Once I almost passed the great pyramid jumps, I got to the second grapple and... I think I would have made it if not the sudden camera change - Lara stopped running on the wall and fell like 3 seconds later. It happened many times before, also in Egypt and other levels, but at least these were not time jumps over the pool of lava :rolleyes:
- I also think Lara should be able to take out one of her guns while on ledge or on the rope. She seems to have no problems holding the ledges one-handed when planning to jump back
- what I miss from old TR series is how you could press 0 on the numpad and look everywhere around you. Lara should be able to do it, just like any normal person can look around oneself. Looking straight up included.
- what I also miss from the old times is, well, a little bit of brutality. When Lara was getting injured you could see drops of blood and when she fell on spikes or from too much height... well everyone remembers what used to happen. Currently she acts like a rubber doll. Anyway I know it's about the game being 16+ and not 18+ this way and it's rather wishful thinking but oh well, I had to share it

Demarest
3rd Jul 2007, 13:22
What? Blasphemy, you say:p Honestly, for platformer games like this, 3-D jumping and action/adventure stuff, using a keyboard and mouse just doesn't cut it for me, but to each their own on that one. A FPS, though, keyboard and mouse all the way.I really don't see what genre has to do with it. It's a matter of telling yourself that this is more powerful, more flexible, and cheaper, then adjusting to it.

Edit: btw, Demarest, with that sig of yours esspecially, you remind me of someone else:pIs there more to it, or am I supposed to guess? :p

- I also think Lara should be able to take out one of her guns while on ledge or on the rope. She seems to have no problems holding the ledges one-handed when planning to jump backThis is a great idea. And since we now have to press the button for every shot, you would be "punished" with being able to dish out lead only half as much.

- what I also miss from the old times is, well, a little bit of brutality. When Lara was getting injured you could see drops of blood and when she fell on spikes or from too much height... well everyone remembers what used to happen. Currently she acts like a rubber doll. Anyway I know it's about the game being 16+ and not 18+ this way and it's rather wishful thinking but oh well, I had to share itIn one of the commentaries, they talk about this. The ESRB wouldn't let it retain the teen rating if Lara ever got impaled. What's that about? Censorship sucks.

ChOnyD
3rd Jul 2007, 19:36
I think the game was a wonderful work of art.:D I played it 100% on the PS2 and I just LOVED IT! I have played the original and others also.

The Controls. The Controls were so smooth and easy to control.(PS2) I Love the Wall Run, Adrenaline Dodge, and perch abilities and hope that they can make their return in the future tomb raider games.

I dont really mind about the check points. ... Any kind of saving form is good for me.

Time Trials are very fun and test my ability to maneuver quickly through the tough obstacles.

The AD was fun and if an enemy, like a wolf, has low health, use ur pistols and shoot only until they are enraged. Then keep running back and then MATRIX!!! Its not hard when there is more than one enemy you just got to know ur surroundings.

Nothing else much to say, The game was magnificent. I do think that they should add impales and blood a little. Adds realism and effect. XD :( ESRB Ratings! The original games used to have these things before! I guess they got more strict on the ratings of games.:(

richard4lara
3rd Jul 2007, 21:54
Hahah, I quite like it!

I can see your point in Time Trials though :mad2:

thecoolstinger
4th Jul 2007, 02:31
[B]There's nothing wrong with shotgun reloading.
B]

I agree, if you've ever tried to reload a shotgun in real life, you'll find that it cant be done in 1.5 seconds. hahaha. in fact, most shotguns that you guys might shoot only hold 5 rounds, and that's only with the barrel plug taken out ( as is in most states a law stating that bird shotguns only hold 3 at a time)

beautiful, combat shotguns hold 8. laura's shotgun is most likely a mossberg, (judging from the time the original TR was made and the fact that it has a pistol grip in 1996)

TRBeth
4th Jul 2007, 03:26
There has to be some way to get a game that is well balanced, not childishly easy as in Legend, or not tediously difficult as in TRA. TRA was near perfect except for the amt of time programmers spend on devising obstructive wall runs and finger smashing boss fights. When fans scream and moan for a more challenging game, they are not referring to having to train themselves into holding down 5 buttons/keys all at once while timing a jump just so. What they mean is making a more mature game that involves complex environments and puzzles that make you think. That is it; and hopefully now that CD has 2 games out, they will finally be able to strike that balance and produce a good TR game that is engaging, awesome, has replay value and is generally well received by your average gamer.

Also, if you are going to have shooting and blood on the hands, then for God sakes, lets see a little blood. I'm not a blood and gore gamer, but since Legend it seems TR is geared toward elementary age kids. Do you know how ridiculous it is to have the amt of violence portrayed in TR and yet not see one single drop of blood? Yes, I know you're trying to keep your kiddie audience, but in the process of doing that, you're going to loose your adult audience. Has the standards changed so much since AOD? I think you are going to have to pick your audience, either the 7-13 kiddie pool, or a more adult audience. At some point, the adults are going to get tired of moaning and groaning over TR, and just stop playing. Also, Lara is not a sappy, emotional woman who regrets what she does.

I'd also say its time to finally cut out the ICs. Most of us want to see the cutsences and enjoy the show, not pay attention to button prompts. Or have to replay these scenes because pc ingame arrow prompts are lame.

PC saves should be determined by the gamer. Console saves should come AFTER defeating annoying monsters or just save anytime as in pc.

A lot of great things happened in TRA that showed that the CD programmers are developing their understanding of what TR is about. Unfortunately, the addition of the above-mentioned really just ruined the overall game for many. AD and crazy wall runs might should be an option in the game for those you actually like it, but these things should not be forced on TR gamers.

One last thing, big mistake to mess around with Lara Croft's history. What were you thinking? We like Lara's history just the way it was. It is what made her what she is and it is something that we have all come to appreciate because we have developed with her over the years. Why oh why turn her history into something that is not recognizable anymore? There is so much that can done with this game without tearing down the past. The dastardly deed is done, yet, do try to get away from going down this path further.

The_Hylden
4th Jul 2007, 06:57
It's a matter of telling yourself that this is more powerful, more flexible, and cheaper, then adjusting to it.

I say again, I have tried to use the keyboard and mouse combo for 3-D platformers, and it's even more frustrating than the stupid pause menu thing I've complained about here. So, in short, not from where I am sitting:p

Is there more to it, or am I supposed to guess?

It was just an observation. Your purple Lara looks almost like Umah from BO2. Something someone else uses on here as a sig and name.

I just completed the game a little while ago tonight, despite the pause menu thing, despite the fact that auto target does not target well, and doesn't switch targets well, if at all, nor can you follow your opponent when they dart away, or fly above you slightly, lol. Despite that stuff, and even in retrospect I didn't mind it all that much, certainly not enough to mar the game or I'd have stopped playing a long while ago... Besides those control glitches in this matrix, the game was great. It was a real lengthy helping, filled with really cool environments and chock-full of on-the-fly brain teasers -- which is what all of that jumping and lever suff, shooting, etc., is in the end. One giant puzzle where your character is the piece in it, some timed, some far more complex than others, all fluid and flowing keeping you on your toes. I have no gripes with any of that. I enjoyed the hell out of it. However, next time around, of course, they might want to actually have the gameplay follow the story and be more about logical puzzles that directly follow what’s going on in that story, etc. I am sure they know that. There really isn’t half as much told through story and cut-scenes in this game compared to most games today (which is telling, being that it still is so long, that it’s crammed full of gameplay). I am sure they tried to amp up the original story as much as they could to still hook new gamers. Still, it’s definitely noticeable that there’s not many moments going on, until late.

I do agree that the scenes especially where she's shooting people, looking at her hands which should have blood on them, getting grabbed by some thing's jaws, and getting impaled, really should have at least a blood *option* to be turned on. Matter of fact, I wonder if a patch could be released for PC gamers? Maybe work it off the water physics on her clothes already? (Not that they have the time or will spend the money, just saying...) But, yeah, it's odd, and a little blood, even a red spot, would be ok. That's what they used in Goldeneye back in the day, remember? There wasn't any blood flowing, or anything, just a red spot. You got the idea. I think someone should have at least tried to pitch that one. Maybe, lol, they kept it completely bloodless without even that as an inside thing expressing how ridiculous it was they weren't allowed to show blood, or something. You never know.

But, also, she does get impaled, as I vividly watched it happen early on, just doesn't bleed when it happens. The spike is through her, though. She also becomes skeleton-like, though not that detailed, when she melts in the lava, if you want some gore:p Speaking of that, and this may be considered a slight spoiler:

I saw her “doppelganger” late in the game and took a pic of them standing opposite each other. The skinned woman, probably the same model as Lara. That’s pretty cool, imo. Reminded me of the skinned what’s-her-name from Hellraiser II:D I didn’t save the pic, however, so can’t show it.

And I've gotten the wetsuit with the Raziel clan symbol on it. Kudos, Crystal Dynamics. Now hopefully Eidos will let you make another Legacy of Kain game... I will try and see about getting the Soul Reaver in the game later...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/pgson/Lara-Wetsuit.jpg