PDA

View Full Version : grapple hook problems

dratcha
23rd Jun 2007, 00:36
Ok, I am on the very first level where I am supposed to swing around the guide at the big door. The only problem is I can't seem to get the grapple hook to stick. I go all the way to the edge of the rock, jump, and grapple. The grapple grabs the circle but for some reason I hit the edge of the rock and it aborts. I am successful about 1 out of 20 tries. What am I doing wrong???
:mad2:

Demarest
23rd Jun 2007, 00:56
Ok, I am on the very first level where I am supposed to swing around the guide at the big door. The only problem is I can't seem to get the grapple hook to stick. I go all the way to the edge of the rock, jump, and grapple. The grapple grabs the circle but for some reason I hit the edge of the rock and it aborts. I am successful about 1 out of 20 tries. What am I doing wrong???
:mad2:

Well if you're running into things, you're either at the wrong angle, are using too long of a rope, or are singing too far. Possibly a mix of those. One thing I learned while doing the time trials is that in most places, you can be running forward (and continue to hold forward), jump, grapple, wait until at the apex of the arc, and jump off and hit your target. That's a little more on the advanced side, but there it is if you'd like to try it.

If you'd rather take it slow (probably a good idea), wait until Lara comes to a rest. Now twist around until you're lined up properly. Hit Display HUD to put the camera directly behind her to double check. Now hold Interact and press up or down to make the length of rope longer and shorter. If you're running into things while swinging, shorter would probably be better. Once you're all lined up and ready to go, let go of Interact and hold Up so she'll start swinging. Don't be afraid to wait until the second or third or even fourth swing forward before you decide to jump off.

Since this is the start of the first stage we're talking about, don't be afraid to take some time and practice different things to see which works best for that circumstance. Then later, you can see maybe you'll need more or less rope and you will learn it even more. Good luck!

[EDIT]
I was going to start a new game anyways, so I looked into what you were talking about. If you're running into things, chance are you're using a rope that's too long.

dratcha
23rd Jun 2007, 03:01
Ok, I figured it out. I guess you have to run, junp, and grapple. If I stand on the edge of something and just jump up while grappling, it doesn't seem to work.

DayLightX
23rd Jun 2007, 05:18
Ok, I figured it out. I guess you have to run, junp, and grapple. If I stand on the edge of something and just jump up while grappling, it doesn't seem to work.

Yes, it won't work if you stand on the edge and jump straight up then grapple. You actually have to jump off the edge for the grapple to work.