PDA

View Full Version : The interactive cut-scenes...

Hippie
22nd Jun 2007, 23:13
Just wondering if these were bothering anybody. I first ran into them with "Legend", and now I see them in a lot of other games. They're actually faster in other games, so the ones here were easier to react to.

I like them. Keeps the game playing going. It makes things interesting. I like new ideas, and this was a good one.

Mertz523
22nd Jun 2007, 23:45
When I first read about them before Legend came out, I was kind of afraid of them but excited. I thought they would be very difficult. I like the concept, but I think they should really make them a bit more of a challenge. Perhaps pushing more than one button in rapid succession rather than one at a time, or have them go a little faster and keep pushing buttons to keep her going.

Rai
22nd Jun 2007, 23:45
I like the cut-scenes but not so much the interaction parts. If that makes sense. I don't mind the ones with TRex or Natla during boss fights but I would have liked a little more action during the cut-scene fights with Pierre and Larson, The kid etc.

The cut-scenes alone move the story along which is good.

Demarest
23rd Jun 2007, 00:21
Interactive cut-scenes are a lot like flashy web codes. From a developer's standpoint, they're probably pretty impressive, but to the end user, it can just be annoying. It's interesting to know that they have different video/cutscene directives for different outcomes, but there were several times I got to a cutscene and took my hand off the keyboard to take a drink, thinking I had a moment, and WHAM! I'm dead. Of course, it reloads to just before that, but that just makes have less of a point to it.

NaughtyGirl
23rd Jun 2007, 01:06
I wish they had options...like kick or dodge or shoot instead of being so linear sometimes. Plus sometimes it's stuff you wish you could do yourself. It doesn't quite feel like ME doing the work.

Raziel_Requiem
24th Jun 2007, 12:21
I like them, I think they'd be better if there was some randomnosity (is that a word?) involved, though... as once you know the sequence, it's too easy.

I really enjoyed them in Legend, and often, if I was lucky enough to survive, i'd go back and watch how Lara dies (oops).

I'm not so happy with the Anniversary ones right now, but that's onlyy because i think the T-Rex one is broken. :(

Tiri Li
24th Jun 2007, 12:23
I like them, although it was annoying that some fights in TR1 were replaced with interactive cutscenes (e.g. after the tomb of Qualopec. I was looking forward to shooting Larson then.)

The only one I had trouble with was the second one in Natla's mines. I don;t know if this happens for anyone else, but you hear the heartbeat, get a black screen for a few seconds, then you have a split second to hit the button when the picture comes up. Too soon, you fail. Too late, you fail. I took me around 10 tries just to get past that bit :mad2:

Atheist
24th Jun 2007, 13:15
I agree with Mertz that they should be more chanllenging. But I really like them! It gives you a chance to be somewhat invloved the amazing stunts Lara does when you're not controlling her. I also like seeing what happens each time you fail to save her...Muahahaha! :D

Atheist
24th Jun 2007, 13:18
I like them, although it was annoying that some fights in TR1 were replaced with interactive cutscenes (e.g. after the tomb of Qualopec. I was looking forward to shooting Larson then.)

I heard they did that! :eek: Interactive cutscenes should be a bonus, they should'nt REPLACE major fights or situations. :(
I don't know, but I bet when the roof collapses at the end of the Tomb Of Q it's replaced by a interactive cutscene! :mad:

Rai
24th Jun 2007, 14:02
I heard they did that! :eek: Interactive cutscenes should be a bonus, they should'nt REPLACE major fights or situations. :(
I don't know, but I bet when the roof collapses at the end of the Tomb Of Q it's replaced by a interactive cutscene! :mad:

No actually it isn't quite like that. Even though there is a cutscene to introduce the roof falling in, you still have to get out of there and you get the same feeling of urgency that you had with TR1.

Atheist
24th Jun 2007, 14:21
No actually it isn't quite like that. Even though there is a cutscene to introduce the roof falling in, you still have to get out of there and you get the same feeling of urgency that you had with TR1.

Oh. Well that's a relief! :D
I would be dissapointed if there was'nt a cutscene 'introducing' the roof falling in. But if the whole thing was repalced by a cutscene I would be greatly dissapointed.

KryptTonight
25th Jun 2007, 11:14

The only one I had trouble with was the second one in Natla's mines. I don;t know if this happens for anyone else, but you hear the heartbeat, get a black screen for a few seconds, then you have a split second to hit the button when the picture comes up. Too soon, you fail. Too late, you fail. I took me around 10 tries just to get past that bit :mad2:

Yeah that happened to me too. :mad2: I enjoy the interactive scenes quite a bit but I don't think that they should be any harder than they are now. Right now they're a fun little novelty to keep the action going in some cut-scenes. Make them any harder then they'll just be a huge irritation.

Imagine screwing up on one particular point over and over again and having to rewatch the same cut-scene a bunch of times over until you've gotten it right. That last one against Natla was like that and had me pretty annoyed. :rolleyes:

CommanderZx2
25th Jun 2007, 11:42
I like interactive cutscenes as long as they don't begin to replace gameplay. Some of the ones in Anniversary should've been actual gameplay.

Xcom
25th Jun 2007, 12:13
They're actually faster in other games, so the ones here were easier to react to.

The ones in TRA are a joke (in terms of being challenging). I guess it's a tiny little extra devs decided to implement just to keep momentum going.

Check Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy in USA) for some "hardcore" interactive cinematics. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMAuLJ28BU0

They lasted for minutes there and if you played with keyboard, you had 8 keys to work with and needed to push 2 key combos fast. :nut:

Lycantendencies
25th Jun 2007, 15:05
I've been used to interactive scenes since Shenmue, and I do think they can add a lot when done right, especially if they lead to different paths and not just a game over screen.

So far the only one in TRA I've not been big on is the T-Rex battle.
I always liked that you could run around without killing him, and have the adrenaline of him chasing you everytime you come out of a cave opening and this version took that a way a little.

NightRain'06
26th Jun 2007, 01:04
Now that it was said they seem to have borrowed the interactive cutscenes idea from other games...

XCom, you're right about Indigo Prophesy's long interactive cutscenes. I played that on the PS2 with my cousin and the sequences made me feel so pressured that when it wasn't completed mid-way, I didn't want to do them after the second failure !

My second experience with interactive cutscenes was in God of War. Well, not cutscenes but when you're battling bosses in that game, the interactive keys sequence would appear to finally have you defeat them when their energies were very low once the keys were pressed in succession.

My reflexes were slow and each key appeared for about one second in these two games to me. So I'd be like "Aaaah !!!!"

When the interactive cutscenes appeared in Legend, I didn't realize it at first and have killed her numerous times. :o In Anniversary, initially I purposely don't press the correct keys to see how she dies. Then I do them one by one. ;) It's funny to watch and hear other character's reactions. :lol: :lmao:

Today, in Anniversary, when I made it to that metal pyramid area (or whatever it's called) in Lost Pyramid level, she had to enter by climbing up the cliff ledge. She met up with Larson, Kid (wannabe gangster) and the big guy who I'd refer to as One Eye. Or was it only Kid and One Eye ?

.. I was expecting a fight with them. I was scared and prepared at the same time but overall excited to see I could've defeated them. Sadly though, what do we get ? Another interactive cutscene. :rolleyes: I wanted her fighting them instead ! This interactive cutscene ruined the moment for me.

I think they have inserted too much where it should've or could've been gameplays. :sigh: Or some of them could've been just regular cutscenes too.

Alexlovesguns
26th Jun 2007, 07:59
Terrible idea these... might as well skip the scenes and just put the arrows on the screen, works the same.

When i play i want to really control my character and interact with the virtual environment, after beating a challenging part i like to sit back and enjoy the cutscene, just like a reward.

boots
26th Jun 2007, 08:28
I had a bad experience with the interactive cutscenes; if I'm not paying enough attention and miss hitting the button the first time, which is... most of the time, it tends to bug the game and I have to go back and do whatever I just did to fix it. Not fun. :( I had to watch the t-rex make its shocking appearance about thirty times. :mad2:

Maybe if there was some indication that I should be ready I wouldn't mind so much, but then I guess that would defeat the purpose. They're either too easy or too frustrating, depending on how good your reflexes are. (Mine are bad. I'm in the latter category. It's a miracle I can make it through the games to begin with without silly little minigames in the middle.)

Should just stick to regular cutscenes or plain gameplay. Let us play or tell the story!

LisaB1962
26th Jun 2007, 17:56
I've been used to interactive scenes since Shenmue, and I do think they can add a lot when done right, especially if they lead to different paths and not just a game over screen.

That's the problem, isn't it? It's just keep doing it until you get it right.

Of course, I think they're a waste of time in TR because I feel cheated out of honest gameplay.

Plus they're just so freaking trendy. Lara should be setting the trends or above them.