PDA

View Full Version : Why did Eidos spoil the controls?

boffin486
22nd Jun 2007, 16:46
I have played & really enjoyed all The TR games right from the very beginning and I thought, when I started this one, "AT LAST!!! The controller allows me to move lara completely with the mouse!" :) (like almost all other games I play) At least it seemed so, because you can map the right mouse button to make her move forward. Brilliant. NOT SO! This is because they did NOT think to allow you to remap the Target Lock function to anything other than the right hand mouse button. This is SOOOOOO frustrating :eek: because you can look all around and turn any direction just by moving the mouse around but you CANT move forwards! The handbook specifically states that controls are default and can all be changed - but that doesnt include the target lock, its the only control you cant do anything with other than leave it on default right hand mouse button.
Am I the ONLY one who find this Annoying in the extreme? It is completely spoiling my enjoyment of the game because if you DO remap the right mouse button, you CANNOT do anything when an 'Adrenaline Attack' happens because there is no other possible way to select the target! :(
However, having got that grouch off my chest, the graphics are very good and overall I really like the look of the game.
Its such a shame that this was overlooked when this new game was designed.

Shrensh
22nd Jun 2007, 17:21
You can re-map the target lock key. It's called "Combat Mode Toggle" in the list of controls. I've re-mapped it to Shift.

Demarest
22nd Jun 2007, 19:28
Other games I play have W for forward and RMB for target. I've never heard of somebody using the mouse to move forward. I'm not judging you. I'm just saying that video game companies do these things based on their anticipation of what people will want. Which means those with more isolated tasted might be left out like this :(

boffin486
23rd Jun 2007, 13:35
Hi there, thanks for replies. Almost all games I play (Medal of Honour, Quake, Call of Duty etc) use the mouse to move forward (press R/H mouse button) and moving mouse around changes direction. Using L/H mouse button to fire weapons completes the set. This is the most logical and efficient use of the mouse - try it & you'll see! :)
I have looked at the control settings but I cannot see how to remap the target lock button?? I can switch from manual, to advanced hold & advanced toggle but still can't see how to actually remap the target lock function? :eek:
Any help much appreciated.........

Shrensh
23rd Jun 2007, 21:53
This is where you change the target lock key (highlighted in yellow). It's called Combat Mode Toggle.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/shrensh/tracontrols.jpg
I've re-mapped it to shift instead of right mouse button.

boffin486
24th Jun 2007, 02:36
Thank you Shrensh, Now I can play on happily the way I like to! :D
I had (rather stupidly) not realised that there were more control options by scrolling down the page........ :nut:

Shrensh
24th Jun 2007, 07:01
LOL, you're welcome. Enjoy the game :D

Swatcat
26th Jun 2007, 14:16
Almost all games I play (Medal of Honour, Quake, Call of Duty etc) use the mouse to move forward (press R/H mouse button) and moving mouse around changes direction. Using L/H mouse button to fire weapons completes the set. This is the most logical and efficient use of the mouse - try it & you'll see! :)

Wow, I thought I was the only one who used this config.
So nice to see someone else using this too, and I so agree,
so logical (at least for us) and efficient! :)
(I use L-mousebutton for forward, R-mousebutton for fire)
With the mouse being your "eyes/camera" it works perfectly.

I was really happy that I was able to use this set-up in TRA too,
or else I can't play. I do invert the y-axis of the camera though, to
make it even more natural.