PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy XIV - Thoughts on the Revamp

VINCE12
26th Jul 2012, 12:34
The new announcement trailer of Final Fantasy 2.0 is here and to say the least, it is visually impressive. Furthermore, Square Enix opted to change the name to Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. I'm thoroughly excited for this release as I am impatiently waiting for the PS3 version.

[/url]<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWMgMl7xljw&feature=player_embedded" title="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWMgMl7xljw&feature=player_embedded" target="_blank">[url]www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWMgMl7xljw&feat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWMgMl7xljw&feature=player_embedded)...
</a>
What are your thoughts? Please share /tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-laughing.gif

JakeVII25
26th Jul 2012, 14:27
The voice over sounded really bad but it looks like a typical epic CGI trailer from SE. Can't wait to see an actual gameplay for this game.

member_10628951
26th Jul 2012, 14:28
Suprisingly I am not as thrilled as I feel I should be. Hopefully this just means less time about XIV at the 25th Anniversary and more time spend promoting.... "other" games ;).

cky182dude
26th Jul 2012, 14:50
I'll need to see some gameplay first to see if I'll actually buy it. I've played XI for years and thought it was awesome, so hopefully the revamp will fix all the issues that XIV had. The screenshots of gameplay look awesome but I'm a little surprised they didn't show any gameplay of that in the trailer... makes me a little curious.

member_10822883
27th Jul 2012, 21:44
Really liked it. THIS is the kind of game I want from Square.

member_10792005
30th Jul 2012, 11:13
I really want to have a headstart with this game, 1st time that Im gonna play a SE MMORPG game! Hope most of the SE members will have a beta access or it will be included if you preorder the game... For those who are familiar, is the 1st FFXIV still playable and running or they shut it down coz of the new version coming???

srodrigue
30th Jul 2012, 21:09
The first FFXIV is still opened. I think A Realm Reborn will sort of be a huge patch, not a game you'll have to go buy in store.

robotman5
13th Oct 2012, 12:52
i bought Final Fantasy XIV today and i was wondering would i be able to play it right now? i registered it on here already it's just i wanna know if i can.

robotman5
13th Oct 2012, 14:49
darn i just found out they aren't accepting new accounts to the game untill Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn releases....welp i guess im going to be waiting for awhile..

member_10214061
8th May 2013, 11:24
I'm so confused I thought FFXI was the MMO... is there also a FFXIV already out and they are just rebooting it or are they rebooting FFXI and just calling it FFXIV? Either way I would really like more information, Either way when they release FFXIV A Realm Reborn are they then killing the previous MMO they have currently or what are they doing with it? Will the players that were in the previous game just get transfered over and they start with all thier items they had accumulated or will it be a completely new game or will it be somewhere in the middle where previousl players will get additional assets for their loyalty but everything is restarted as if it were a new game? I am sure I have other questions but if these could be answered it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Robby

Cvanbuskirk2013
8th May 2013, 11:53
As far as I know, Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is STILL in a closed beta BUT will be going to open beta soon.

Add my Xbox Live gamertag: GameyCactus916

member_10214061
8th May 2013, 13:03
I'm so confused I thought FFXI was the MMO... is there also a FFXIV already out and they are just rebooting it or are they rebooting FFXI and just calling it FFXIV? Either way I would really like more information, Either way when they release FFXIV A Realm Reborn are they then killing the previous MMO they have currently or what are they doing with it? Will the players that were in the previous game just get transfered over and they start with all thier items they had accumulated or will it be a completely new game or will it be somewhere in the middle where previousl players will get additional assets for their loyalty but everything is restarted as if it were a new game? I am sure I have other questions but if these could be answered it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Robby

Yes that is true however I was still wondering about my original question if it was full out replacing the current FF MMO and if that was FFXI or FFXIV...

member_10071813
8th May 2013, 13:18
FFXI and FFXIV are seperate MMO projects. FFXI recently released the Seekers of Adoulin expansion, while the FFXIV relaunch of A Realm Reborn is currently in closed beta. Hope this helps!

member_10214061
8th May 2013, 13:33
FFXI and FFXIV are seperate MMO projects. FFXI recently released the Seekers of Adoulin expansion, while the FFXIV relaunch of A Realm Reborn is currently in closed beta. Hope this helps!

It does some however when you say relaunch that leads me to believe that there is currently a FFXIV MMO already and the A Realm Reborn is what trying to fix it because the original failed? If this is the case I am rather suprised that SE would decide to do this without pulling down the XI game because else they seem to be repeating the same failure EQ did when they launched EQ2 which was they primarily canabalized their own game to get players for the new one and yet then did not have enough population to really sustain either...

member_10071813
8th May 2013, 13:37
XI and XIV are nothing alike and are targeting mainly seperate audiences. For more information, you can check out the offical webpages of both games or try googling for more history on what happened with XIV.

member_10214061
8th May 2013, 14:20
This thread does not belong in the [General Discussion (http://na.square-enix.com/go/forum/view/139231/233953/general_discussion)] forum, but in the [FINAL FANTASY XIII-XIV Forum (http://na.square-enix.com/go/forum/view/139235/235423/final_fantasy_xiii-xiv_forum)].

yeah i tried putting it in there but it wouldn't let me it said I was not a registered user but I cannot find a way to register. Not to mention it is about XI AND XIV and there fore does not actually fit in one particular category....

On another note I know XI and XIV are two diferent games Arrow, and it sounds like you have experience in both and I have been looking for a good MMO would you suggest XI or XIV which of the two are better and for what reasons?

Leaferian-379423
8th May 2013, 14:27

It does some however when you say relaunch that leads me to believe that there is currently a FFXIV MMO already and the A Realm Reborn is what trying to fix it because the original failed? If this is the case I am rather suprised that SE would decide to do this without pulling down the XI game because else they seem to be repeating the same failure EQ did when they launched EQ2 which was they primarily canabalized their own game to get players for the new one and yet then did not have enough population to really sustain either...

As Arrow said, they primarily target different audiences. They are very different experiences, and ARR seems quite enjoyable. Originally, the Final Fantasy XIV MMO launched in September of 2010 but was a largely buggy and incomplete game, and considered one of the biggest failures in the series to date. Square Enix brought in an entirely new team to deal with the problem and revitalize the game, and after a year of free service and not-quite-a-year of paid service XIV 1.0 was shut down, with the 'A Realm Reborn' or XIV 2.0 closed beta beginning in February of this year. The game is seeing marked improvements and optimization, as well as a release on the PS3.

member_10214061
8th May 2013, 14:42

As Arrow said, they primarily target different audiences. They are very different experiences, and ARR seems quite enjoyable. Originally, the Final Fantasy XIV MMO launched in September of 2010 but was a largely buggy and incomplete game, and considered one of the biggest failures in the series to date. Square Enix brought in an entirely new team to deal with the problem and revitalize the game, and after a year of free service and not-quite-a-year of paid service XIV 1.0 was shut down, with the 'A Realm Reborn' or XIV 2.0 closed beta beginning in February of this year. The game is seeing marked improvements and optimization, as well as a release on the PS3.

Awesome leaferian thank you that cleared alot up for me cause everytime i was searching for ff14 all i could find was stuff about ARR but so many ppl on the forums were talking about the old ff14 i was a bit lost, and didnt even really remember hearing about 14's original release.... did you have and thoughts on ff11? which do you think will be a better game once ARR is released? I know 11 it sounds like it going strong hoever I cannot popst on thier forum for some reason because I am not a subscriber i guess, just says I'm not registered but I would really like to get some of their input on 11 and compare it to 14 to see which I would most enjoy and be deserving of my time and money.

Leaferian-379423
8th May 2013, 14:50
Awesome leaferian thank you that cleared alot up for me cause everytime i was searching for ff14 all i could find was stuff about ARR but so many ppl on the forums were talking about the old ff14 i was a bit lost, and didnt even really remember hearing about 14's original release.... did you have and thoughts on ff11? which do you think will be a better game once ARR is released? I know 11 it sounds like it going strong hoever I cannot popst on thier forum for some reason because I am not a subscriber i guess, just says I'm not registered but I would really like to get some of their input on 11 and compare it to 14 to see which I would most enjoy and be deserving of my time and money.

No problem, any time. I personally didn't really enjoy XI. It has been years since I played, but when I did it was pretty harsh and nothing ever really felt fun to me. I don't really have a good assessment of the game's capabilities though, it has just been too long and there's no way I'm paying for it again. FFXI is definitely going strong though, and it is the most profitable Final Fantasy to date (due in part to its decade of subscription fees). My personal experience with ARR is that it's quite good. I've been involved in the closed beta, and even with the majority of the content not in place the game was able to hold my interest whenever I had the time to play. Character creation is beautiful if a little limited (though not as limited as XI), the classes are pretty fun. I don't think I'll be able to give a better opinion until the next phase of the Beta begins in June, when the majority of the pre-launch content will be in place and the finalized combat mechanics have been plugged in.

venkaramon
25th May 2013, 15:40
I heard one of the problems of the version 1 was the fluidity of the battle it did seem like so when I checked some videos out. Have they fixed this somehow in the beta?

member_10477170
26th May 2013, 03:32
A Realm Reborn is a complete overhaul. Meaning, they've rebuilt the entire game from the ground up. I enjoyed the original version and I don't know when the combat system wasn't fluid, but it was probably when it was originally released. The game became really great even in the old version though. Go to the Final Fantasy XIV Lodestone Forums or finalfantasyxiv.com to get more information.

member_10477170
26th May 2013, 04:00

I've been playing Final Fantasy XI for 10 years and I still play to this day... In fact, I just logged off about an hour ago. I still enjoy FFXI, but FFXIV: ARR is far more enjoyable. Not only does it look and sound amazing, but the way the game is played is completely different and much more fast paced.

Having said that, it all depends on what you like.

FFXIV has the same control style as most MMOs these days (like WoW and GW2). You can jump, you move with WASD, and you control the camera with the mouse. There's icons on the bottom of the screen that show the skills you have and how long you have before you can use an ability again.

The world of FFXIV is much more alive and very beautiful as well. The Races and some of the monster models are actually extremely identical (or sometimes exactly) like the ones from FFXI. The different classes and jobs are interchangable and can be changed at will simply by equiping the weapon neccessary for the class you wish to switch to. And those jobs are the same as FFXI only in name and play very differently when compared to XI. You can summon mounts, and teleport and it's just an all around more casual game. Although there are some hardcore elements too. (This is mostly from my experience with the old version, but also what i've seen in the beta for ARR.)

FFXI has changed dramatically over the years. At this point you can join as a new player and be the highest level (with some help) in probably a month. The world is enormous and you'll probably find out new things about it for the entirety of your experience if you play it (I defiintely still do). The graphics are PS2 era, so sometimes they aren't so great... but it still has its moments. There are 22 jobs right now and 6 expansions, with one that was released just this year. You can buy the Ultimate version and get all the expansions for around $30. It comes on pc and xbox 360... don't bother with ps2. FFXI is not as hand holding as ARR and you'll h ave to figure a lot out on your own, especially when you're first starting out. The best thing to do is find a friend and a linkshell (guild) to help you out. Both, ARR and FFXI have great communities in-game (the forums are another story). There's also a wonderful Wiki for FFXI called ffxiclopedia and you can find anything you need help on there.

Personally, if I were you.... I wouldn't start FFXI. I'd just go for FFXIV. I still play FFXI, but I probably won't for very much longer because of FFXIV. It has become so much more than XI is right now and I'm confident it will become so much more than XI ever was. ^^

Here's a tour of the world in FFXIV

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_emb... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8JQ87KtH1G8)

Kiritos
21st Aug 2013, 21:27
Numerous people have suggested that I invest into the game so I did and im quite excited. After I thought about it...is this an expansion and will need prior games or is this new? Im sure this comes out as a pretty noobish question but I wasn't too sure. Thanks guys in advance! :)

deano86
21st Aug 2013, 21:28
new remade game. So entirely new.

Zilvereyes
21st Aug 2013, 21:30
This is a "new game", truth be told this is v 2.0 of the game, but you don't need anything but this to play, the v 1.0 "failed" and they have been re-doing it thus v 2.0, though v 1.0 player got their characters from v 1.0 transfered to v 2.0

Kiritos
21st Aug 2013, 21:37
Thank you very much Deano and Zilv, I haven't seen an email come across for a product key to "Add Game" to my profile though, im assuming ill get that along with my play early CE edition the 24th? Any ideas?

Zilvereyes
21st Aug 2013, 21:39
Thank you very much Deano and Zilv, I haven't seen an email come across for a product key to "Add Game" to my profile though, im assuming ill get that along with my play early CE edition the 24th? Any ideas?

CE code will probably not come before the 27th, Early access starts the 24th, but we won't get game codes until launch the 27th from what I understand.

Kiritos
21st Aug 2013, 21:43
we shall see! There will be days, taken off of work, to play this game haha

Mashr2010
21st Aug 2013, 21:58
CE code will probably not come before the 27th, Early access starts the 24th, but we won't get game codes until launch the 27th from what I understand.

That would be correct Zilvereyes. This thread has popped up numerous times on the Beta forum and the answer was always that the Game Registration codes would not be delivered until the 27th, which makes sense since that's when the game goes live officially.

Darklordkjell
21st Aug 2013, 22:00
I hope they will expand the game in the future. Hopefully with level increase as well. But when it comes to FF14:ARR, it is simply just a remake. :)

Mashr2010
21st Aug 2013, 22:20
I hope they will expand the game in the future. Hopefully with level increase as well. But when it comes to FF14:ARR, it is simply just a remake. :)

An expansion is already planned for a year and half from launch, with large content updates planned every few months between. There will be plenty to keep you busy! :D

Darklordkjell
21st Aug 2013, 22:38
An expansion is already planned for a year and half from launch, with large content updates planned every few months between. There will be plenty to keep you busy! :D

Good to know! :D

Falconreaver
21st Aug 2013, 23:24
one of the first updates i know of is to do with houses. Not sure how much is actually going to be released with the game but looks like it can be worthwhile using the houses.

http://www.ffxivinfo.com/content/player-housing.php

Where i got the infomation from.

Mashr2010
22nd Aug 2013, 01:24
one of the first updates i know of is to do with houses. Not sure how much is actually going to be released with the game but looks like it can be worthwhile using the houses.

http://www.ffxivinfo.com/content/player-housing.php

Where i got the infomation from.

The first update is planned to have multiple things, including one of the big name Alliance Raids, The Crystal Tower in it. It will also have the Beauty Salon where you can further customize your character in different ways than is provided on the Character Creation screen, and also Free Company Housing is going to be available then to my knowledge as you claimed. All of that is subject to change of course, but The Crystal Tower and Beauty Salon should be in it, housing I am unsure.