PDA

View Full Version : Cistern cut scene freeze

companyphotographer@earth
20th Jun 2007, 04:30
Greetings.
I am in the game where you have to fill up the cistern with water.
At the bottom after the water is let out one has to put the two boxes on the pressure panels in the floor, the panel with the raft freezes me there. I can see lara breathe and escape key functions work, but I cannot move lara any way. I bought the download version and then the store version thinking it was a problem same thing happens at the same spot each time. The game works fine for all else. No matter what I try the game will not leave the cut scene.
Thanks

GeorgeMaciver
20th Jun 2007, 07:56
Have you tried disabling Full Screen Effects in the options menu? That might work, and also adjusting the screen resolution may also help. Don't ask me why! Disabling Full Screen Effects solves a few of the problems that have cropped up :)

Duane
30th Jul 2007, 21:14
Greetings.
I am in the game where you have to fill up the cistern with water.
At the bottom after the water is let out one has to put the two boxes on the pressure panels in the floor, the panel with the raft freezes me there. I can see lara breathe and escape key functions work, but I cannot move lara any way. I bought the download version and then the store version thinking it was a problem same thing happens at the same spot each time. The game works fine for all else. No matter what I try the game will not leave the cut scene.
Thanks

This exact same issue is happening to me. It does not feel like a "freeze" exactly. The camera does freeze in position but I can still see lara doing her little moves (the ones she does when you've not touched the controls for a bit), and the music continues and I'm able to change weapons etc.

Edit:

I suppose I should mention that I tried the recommendations suggested by GeorgeMaciver with no luck. Also, the bars over the raft are missing! so it seems when the cut scene starts the bars are supposed to open. They were never there so they cannot open. I can even grapple the raft and move it around, I tried to pull it out with the grapple but it was not possible. I filled and refilled this area with water but the raft stays under water as if the bars are there. Because I cannot put a block the touch plate because of reasons already stated... well I'm stuck in this area of the game.

It's very frusterating and has spoiled my entire experience with this game.

afborro
31st Jul 2007, 23:52
Funny this happened to me last night, but it never happened the first time I played it. In my case defintely not a freeze, as Duane pointed out I can still esc, change weapon, she just wont move left/right back or forward.

What I did do I downloaded some profiles and savegames when it started happening, The profile I was using had everything unlocked so I can pick levels to replay, (becuase I get that profile bug, so I have to recreate the profile every time I play it. This kind of gets around the "not being able to unlock everyhing" problem).

Now I wonder If this has anything to do with it, but were any of you playing it for the first time or replaying the level a second time with the "replay level" option, I first encountered the problem only when replaying the level a second time using the downloaded profile.

Now wouldn't it be useful if these actually got reported to devs.

I would raise a ticket about it with support if you can reproduce it the first time you play using saves/profiles created by yourselfs. If you can deduce it only happens in replay level, but not otherwise I would put that info in the ticket information.

I already have a ticket open but not about this problem, they're probably sick of me by now :D

Duane
1st Aug 2007, 22:54
I got passed that level by using a "Fly mode" hack. It allows you to basically fly around as well as go through walls. Problem is it's happening again on the Mines level, right after you put in the fuses and push the buttons.

Sadly I'm giving up on this game. I played the original game years ago and was looking forward to playing this remake. it runs great on my PC besides this issue. Sure would be nice to get a patch.

Perhaps I'll try downgrading my graphics driver, although I cannot really see how a graphics driver could be the cause.

thought I should share my PC specs, it's an a system that is a few years old but still a decent gaming machine.

Motherboard: Asus K8NE-Deluxe
CPU: Athlon 64, 3400+ SKT 754
GPU: Geforce 6800GT
Ram: 2GB Kingston value

afborro
1st Aug 2007, 23:48
I got passed that level by using a "Fly mode" hack. It allows you to basically fly around as well as go through walls. Problem is it's happening again on the Mines level, right after you put in the fuses and push the buttons.

Sadly I'm giving up on this game. I played the original game years ago and was looking forward to playing this remake. it runs great on my PC besides this issue. Sure would be nice to get a patch.

Perhaps I'll try downgrading my graphics driver, although I cannot really see how a graphics driver could be the cause.

thought I should share my PC specs, it's an a system that is a few years old but still a decent gaming machine.

Motherboard: Asus K8NE-Deluxe
CPU: Athlon 64, 3400+ SKT 754
GPU: Geforce 6800GT
Ram: 2GB Kingston value

I'd still like to know are experiencing it in the replay level option or not as asked in my previous post. If you are not going to raise a ticket let us know becuase I will in that case, otherwise it is unlikely going to be fixed, or only maybe if someone already reported it.

Duane
3rd Aug 2007, 15:35
Sorry afborro, I did mean to answer your question but somehow got sidetracked. No this is happening on the first play through. I've yet to get it working and I don't want to use the "fly mode" hack again as it's just ruining my gameplay :(.

Please do raise a ticket, I'm really kinda new to this. I really do hope they patch this, I so look forward to playing this remake of my most beloved games of all time.

I forgot to mention my OS when I posted my systme specs, I'm running a retail copy (all updated) of 32-bit Windows Vista. Also My sound card is a Creative labs Xi-Fi Platinum with the latest drivers installed (and working great).

afborro
5th Aug 2007, 17:30
Interesting result :) becuase I started a new game/profile and when I play through that level the first time it is fine. For me it has only happened when I use the replay level option. To me this stinks of the same problem, game saves and profiles are screwed and don't save correctly what happened, items that been pikped up etc. So may be if the profile game saves issue get resolved issues like this might be resolved with it. Not sure though. I will report it.

Just a thought, without using the fly hack, and I haven't tried this, but seeing that the grating above the wooded board is already removed it may be that it will come to the surface when you fill it up with water again, so as long as you don't walk over the switch that causes the problem, you may get by in that case.

As an aside. I did get a little further with Eidos support and finally managed to get an address to write to Eidos to raise any complaints you people may have. I have a good feeling what I going to write in any case. While it will be to the point and some ways not too kind it has to remain constructive, but clearly the fact we have to raise tickets for issues that might otherwise not get resolved, some of these tech people that are involved with the game should be going through a board like this, pick out what they are think are relevant bugs and bring them back to the development Team. Perhaps someone is already doing that but for sure I will want to find out, there are simply too many bugs to a level that are unacceptable IMHO, I wager that anyone one on PC might not even be able to complete the game a second time round with the replay level option. Certainly I can't unless you use a hack as suggested. first time play through is OK though.

But the moral of the story is, EIDOS, stop taking people Kudos and expect to get away with it without getting some form abuse for your actions, because if that's what they call game testing, it is totally inadequate. (They'll probably blame Nixes software if most bugs are PC related; Serves them right for outsourcing it :D) But the people that are responsible for setting deadlines need a good kicking, (usually publishers, marketting and sales types). Some these bugs I am sure would have been known at the time of release. Perhaps not quite as bad bugswise as TRAOD but not far off. It's a shame becuase I think it is an otherwise great game, can't put it down in spite of these bugs.

Lets hope for a finished TRA, not a bugridden one after the patch.

Duane
8th Aug 2007, 04:58
Just a thought, without using the fly hack, and I haven't tried this, but seeing that the grating above the wooded board is already removed it may be that it will come to the surface when you fill it up with water again, so as long as you don't walk over the switch that causes the problem, you may get by in that case.

I actually tried that before my first posting. It did not work however. I tried for what seemed to be dozens of times to fill the cistern but the little raft remained under as though the gate was closed. Odly enough I was able to grab it with the grapple and move it (slide it slightly). Then I'd refill the cistern with no luck.

This is definitely only happening with me on the first time through. I've not yet replayed a level. I looked forward to playing this game and it frustrates me that I'm unable to pass certain levels without cheating.

afborro
10th Aug 2007, 15:32
I have reported it, plus some other things. I sympathise with you frustration.
These kind of bugs are just extreme. This game (The PC version) has lack of testing written all over it. either that, or the testers don't know how to do their jobs or weren't given enough time to do their jobs properly.

For sure the support desk is pathetic. It's a shambles I have go out of my way to report these things as there is no confidence in knowing what bugs they know about if they simply ignore these boards.

I'll wait for the patch, but if some of these bugs remain I will come down with a sledge hammer on EIdos and write in (luckily I have some contacts with one the PC gaming mags) to get something out to the public about this fiasco and their way of doing things :D

If they don't resolve these issues their reputation deserves to be tarnished. Unfortunately I care enough about this game I want to see these things fixed. Normally I would just bin the game, ask for a refund.

Duane
10th Aug 2007, 16:00
OMG! why did I not think of this sooner?

My wife is playing this game on my PC also, She is ahead of me in the game and is having no problems (it's her first time through). I'm guessing that even though it's my first time through on a separate profile, they are related, kinda like a "level replay".

I'm also reminded of the time I passed through the area in the begining of the game, the one were the bridge collapses and you fall into the wolf pit... yea well it did not collapse for me. My wife asked me why it didn't collapse and I boldly told her "it's not supposed too", She grinninly told me "yup, uhuh, sure was" :). I then jumped into the pit and the wolfs came out, I shot them then noticed a rope coming from the centre of the first bridge (strange huh?).

Today I deleted both our profiles (backed them up) and started playing again this time the bridge collapsed as it was supposed too (as it did for her). I'm going to continue playing through and i'll report back on what happens once I reach the cistern. I'm guessing there is going to be no prob.

A very strange problem indeed! I was looking forward to the second play through as I was interested in the commentary's (which are only available after you've played through the game once)

afborro
10th Aug 2007, 16:08
To me it all stinks of the same problem related gamesaves/profile corruption problem.

Luckily that in most cases with these kind of glitches if you delete you profiles each time you play, create a new one but back up your saves and restore under a new profile a lot of these problems will not occur.

I experience that problem with the wolves too but again only under an existing profile I downloaded. :)

The crap profile implementation is the root of all evil in this game. I begin to believe it accounts for a lot of the bugs. Even people that can reuse their profile each time they load up ( I can't may be for the better :) ) I reckon a large percentage of people experience some kind of corruption when the profile gets written by the game, hence the glitches. On some system it is such the profile can be reloaded, but has corrupted or wrong data inside the file. In my case, even more severe, the profile cannot be read in.

So if they sort out those game save/profile glitches, it all will look after itself. Still we can't be a 100% sure of that, so I felt it was needed to report it
anyway.

Now I wonder if techsupport are clever enough to at least tell me if it is related or know it is. I think it would put a lot of poeple at ease about getting a lot of these things fixed, but I doubt they will tell me that.