PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider Anniversary no 5.1 surround on x-fi

hwoarang5
19th Jun 2007, 18:17
The pc version does have surround support on my xi-fi card.... is there any patch or fix for it? i hate gaming in stereo~~:nut:

Mangar The Dark
19th Jun 2007, 18:46
I'm having trouble with X-Fi, too. Actually, I can't get surround sound at ALL with X-Fi, regardless of which game/application I'm using. Creative's website has some updated drivers which may help (I haven't tried them yet, but I plan to install them tonight.)

CommanderZx2
19th Jun 2007, 18:57
Got vista? M$ decided to kill EAX in vista via removing sound hardware acceleration and sticking in openal, which nothing supports.

hwoarang5
19th Jun 2007, 20:11
i got both vista ans xp, but i game mostly on xp pro.

my card works flawlessly on other games in xp pro, only TR:A doesnt have surround support... i think its disable ingame, legend seems to work out fine,

can anyone point me on how to edit it or enabled it manually?

Verios
19th Jun 2007, 20:46
Turn on CMSS 3D on your X-FI. It's not true 5.1 but it tries to fake it and sounds better than stereo *chuckles*.

hwoarang5
20th Jun 2007, 10:38
yeah only choice is cmss, which is lame, why on earth a game for this age of time, have no surround support? which the previous one have, its just dissappointing....

i guess they rush it for the shelf without proper testing...:(

DeaDLocK
20th Jun 2007, 18:38
Thank goodness I'm not alone!

Same issue here - I only get stereo through my X-Fi.

I've searched everywhere for a fix (am surprised to see this isn't reported more) but have ran into a blank.

I refuse to play the game until this is fixed - the sound is so important to the level of immersion and enjoyment, and I want my money's worth!

And just to confirm, TR:A DOES have surround sound support in-game, so it's an X-Fi compatibility. Folks running other audio chipsets get full surround.

hwoarang5
27th Jun 2007, 06:22
no not really, those using realtek chipset have something like cmss , its not true 5.1 surround plug in rather virtual from stereo channel..

even using cmss u feel its like surround , but its not.

maybe i'm too sensative on this issues, but having invested so much on my hd theare system and pc ,i feel its rather dissapointing purchase such buggy game for this amount of cash, i got my game about USD59.99 IN MY COUNTRY~!!!!

i gonna sell this copy and get the xbox 360 version when its available for download instead. atleast microsoft will keep them(eidos crap) on QC for minimum surround audio requirement for 360 game.

Xcom
27th Jun 2007, 18:22
Admin's this is a valid problem and deleting threads/posts wont make it go away...

We know it seems a valid problem to you, but saying stuff "you suck, f this and f that" and then asking for support isn't exactly constructive way of communicating. You made your point, and there is no need to spam the forum with rude posts in order to bump the thread. Continuing to do so will only get you banned, and won't accomplish much of anything else. I hope I am being sufficiently clear on the matter.

Captain Mazda
27th Jun 2007, 23:25
Do you expect that attitude to take you anywhere in life? You might want to clean up your act and relax if you fancy asking for help.

hwoarang5
28th Jun 2007, 01:38
where is the help as suggested in the box cover and readme.txt, posting here seems to be left in deaf ears.... i dont see a single action being taken nor an official patch being annouched , then just didnt acknowledge that this problems exist, not even mention in thier official faqs.

IMHO , its violation consumer rights and conning the customer by printing surround 7.1 support on the site and box.

Captain Mazda
28th Jun 2007, 02:27
Obviously it doesn't seem to be an isolated issue, so just give CD a chance to patch it.

GoranAgar
28th Jun 2007, 14:53
As a paying customer I am entiteled to air my grievence and should be able to do so without fear of senorship...

Says who? :scratch:

Ah my bad, I forgot yanks are a bit sensetive to even a hint of a suggestion of a swear word.... :lmao:
"f.....g" is not a hint, mate.

And CD is Crystal Dynamics.

hwoarang5
28th Jun 2007, 16:34
i dont think this is getting anywhere, is there a way the officials, or CD or wat ever gives us some or little reply on this matter?

should we all just return the game? or start boycotting eidos/CD games?

GoranAgar
28th Jun 2007, 16:37
I am not sure if anyone from CD is checking this forum. But if someone contacts Eidos support they will forward this problem to CD. And if more than one person contacts Eidos support with that problem, even better.

bikerdude
28th Jun 2007, 18:20
I see posting this problem in this section is a complete and utter waste of time.....

hwoarang5
29th Jun 2007, 10:47
i have created a ticket on this problem on eidos support.

ticket no:
SMM-785161

i suggest u guys do so too.... i gonna spam them one complain every single day till they make a solution for it.

GoranAgar
29th Jun 2007, 14:21
I see posting this problem in this section is a complete and utter waste of time.....
Depends on the problem.

afborro
1st Jul 2007, 19:27
I am not sure if anyone from CD is checking this forum. But if someone contacts Eidos support they will forward this problem to CD. And if more than one person contacts Eidos support with that problem, even better.

You got an EIDOS logo in your avatar. So are in any way associated with them ? Wounldn't it be proactive if you automatically forward problems to devs or third line support if relevant, or raise a ticket on their behalf ? how are the devs going to find of half of the problems otherwise unless someone raises a ticket. I am sure a lot of people simply wouldn't bother so the game could be missing out on bug fixes if and whenever a patch comes out.

While someone pointed out it is an utter waste of time is perhaps blunt, doesn't he have a point to some degree ?

Xcom
1st Jul 2007, 22:23
Nobody actually said they aren't aware of the problem. It's just that people expect a patch/fix the next day after they post a complaint. Sure, there are problems that can be fixed right away, but some can't. Devs usually must process and address most commonly occurring issues that have been reported so far, and then manufacture a patch. It takes time.

GoranAgar
2nd Jul 2007, 07:02
You got an EIDOS logo in your avatar. So are in any way associated with them ? Wounldn't it be proactive if you automatically forward problems to devs or third line support if relevant, or raise a ticket on their behalf ? how are the devs going to find of half of the problems otherwise unless someone raises a ticket. I am sure a lot of people simply wouldn't bother so the game could be missing out on bug fixes if and whenever a patch comes out.

While someone pointed out it is an utter waste of time is perhaps blunt, doesn't he have a point to some degree ?
There are problems with workarounds or solutions. People with that kind of problems find the workaround or the solution here. This is the majority of cases in this forum.

There are problems with no workarounds or solutions (yet). People won't find help here, exept for the advice to contact Eidos support.

And if you know anything about troubleshooting you should realize, with the content/information of this thread I could never open a useful problem ticket.

afborro
2nd Jul 2007, 12:09
Well, that's not answering most of my question, but never mind, and for the record, fore sure I know about trouble shooting, and you would know that if this process was a bit more proactive you could certainly get that info by asking. What is more amusing that others from the actual outside community seem to come up with most of the solutions/workarounds.

Sorry to be harsh about it, but I have been involved in numerous support of game titles and this is certainly one of the more lame ones to say the least.

Where is the passion that went into the development after such a a great game. I don't see it in the support.

I've just had it with with games /publishers who take you money buying a game and showing no respect towards the customers who buy it, or helping them out if it has a bug or problem. The " We'll take you money thank you very much, don't give a ^75$ after that" attitude is written all over it.

GoranAgar
2nd Jul 2007, 13:50
I keep this forum clean and happy in my spare time. I do not open tickets, sorry. I look at the things that come in, if I have an idea, I throw it in. :)

"one of the more lame ones"? How many issues that make that game unplayable do we actually have? I do not see the hordes of people crushing in on our forum, or any of the other TR forum I go to that complain about not being able to load their profile at all or not having surround sound on an X-Fi.

I really hope most of the CD staff is already working on the next TR game.

bratboy
3rd Jul 2007, 15:31
The X-Fi no EAX issue bothers me as well but unfortunatly isn't a "bug" I fear but simply wasn't used. I got my version via steam but based on the total lack of any comments on the website or ads that actually claim EAX is in TRA that leads me to think this.

I would still like a patch to enable it myself but if they don't advertise the game as having EAX then all we can do is hope.

bikerdude
5th Jul 2007, 21:06
I keep this forum clean and happy in my spare time. I do not open tickets, sorry. I look at the things that come in, if I have an idea, I throw it in. :) "one of the more lame ones"? How many issues that make that game unplayable do we actually have? I do not see the hordes of people crushing in on our forum, or any of the other TR forum I go to that complain about not being able to load their profile at all or not having surround sound on an X-Fi. I really hope most of the CD staff is already working on the next TR game.

Im sure it is appreciated that you look after this forum in your spare time. But what I and other are trying to say here is, that Eidos havent had had the common curtisy to acknoweledge this problem, or if they have this hasent been feed back to this forum - plain and simple!!!

There hasent been a single mention that Eidos/CD have been contacted or are even aware of this problem. As mod's on the freeken official Eidos forum surely you have slightly better lines of communication that the general public..?

And to date, UK Eidos customer care has not bothered to confirm my initial call that I logged several weeks ago. All it would take is a small email just to say - "sorry for not getting back to you sooner, we are looking into the problem and will email you back with any developments" But they cant even manage that...

So the above inaffectual attiude from Eidos Customer care and the lack of any real help from the moderators (be their hands tied by eidos) just serves to infuriate and enrage customers, ie. us!

If you or Xcom can actually get some sort of anwser from eidos Im sure it would be appreciated....but if Im brutally be honest Im not gonna hold my breath...

bratboy
5th Jul 2007, 21:38
Sadly I think the very concept of CS is going the way of the Dodo. Not singling Edios on this tho. Anymore you get great service from many places & companies till you actually buy the product and then POOF CS & TS seem to just vanish as soon as they get your coin. Latest release of Lavasoft's Ad-Aware comes to mind.

But getting back to this game and a lack of official response about EAX maybe if we make it easy, all they have to do is select one of the below:
__ 1) We are looking into it
__ 2) We never said it had EAX
__ 3) We already have your money so don't care
__ 4) We are working on a patch to add EAX

In otherwords tell us something, anything!!! Its the total lack of any response at all that has many fustraited

afborro
6th Jul 2007, 03:27
@ GoranAgar Fair enough you are doing it in your spare time than it is a different matter, sorry on my part but you didn't say that. In that case of course any help is appreciated, but it then makes we wonder if this is an official Eidos forum, for all we/you know they don't even read it :scratch:
net effect not much use compared to other NON eidos forums I found where they is a lot more useful info, but also for the game developers it would appear they only look at issues for which tickets are opened, and a lot of people simply wouldn't bother opening tickets. After the patch a lot of other bugs could remain.

As for getting a reply from eidos, keep hassling them, I have had replies recently but at the same time nothing concrete about a patch, or for that matter whether there is one coming. But they did say they are looking into the issues so we would expect one.

I certainly hope not that they already working on the next game, lets finish/fix this one.

I never said that the game was lame as a whole effort. I like it myself, but some of the bugs that people are clearly experiencing do make it unplayable,
For me the game play is rock solid on my system, never had crash. I only have that profile loading problem. I'd class that as a critical bug though, even if it only happens on a few systems. I certainly hope that they are not even considering not making a patch ****

The suppport for this game however (not referring to the forum this time) is lame, when it comes to communicating after opening tickets obviously a lot of people are left in the dark which doesn't give a lot of confidence what they are up to.

bratboy
13th Jul 2007, 14:16
Just a lil bump in desparation

Well its now been almost a month since this thread was started and still no official response. Thats whats fustraiting some of us, or at least me hehe. I mean really how much time would it take for an Edios Tech to post something either saying its a bug or not and/or if they plan to patch it. I really don't think its asking too much for that to happen

afborro
13th Jul 2007, 17:02
With you there mate. It's ludricous and rude.

mikeysg
13th Jul 2007, 19:32
Have any of you guys with X-Fi DL'd and installed ALchemy?:confused: FEAR, FEARXP and OB doesn't have EAX and 5.1 till I'd installed this and transmuted Directsound calls to OpenAL (which VISTA recognizes), now these games can be run with all their audio glory.
http://www.soundblaster.com/alchemy/

BTW, just tried TRA and I find the 5.1 sound working......on a 64bit VISTA HP at that!

hwoarang5
15th Jul 2007, 16:39
alchemy is only for vista, most of us are using winxp...

mikeysg
15th Jul 2007, 17:32
alchemy is only for vista, most of us are using winxp...Actually, the point of ALchemy is for EAX to work in VISTA simply becoz DirectSound API (needed for hardware acceleration) has been removed from VISTA (WinXP has it) so Alchemy is needed to change Directsound calls to OpenAL. WinXP doesn't need ALchemy for EAX/5.1 sound to work. I'm using 64bit VISTA (support for 64bit is the worst among the various OS) with an X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS + Alchemy and I'm surprised to find my 5.1 working, whereas WinXP users can't get it to work. Really weird....:scratch:

bratboy
24th Jul 2007, 13:13
Another week goes by and not even a "Get Stuffed" type mssg from Eidos tech. Now I know why , as a rule, I've stayed away from Edios in the past

afborro
29th Jul 2007, 18:56
Indeed. I gave Them a good grilling in the last email I sent about the whole support proocess, this website not being visited by official Eidos staff that might be able to provide real information. Just looks like they are not interested. Standard replies you know, sorry, not my responsiblity etc, don't have that info,website is run from US not our call, excuse after excuse. I mean how much does it take to pick up a phone or email to get clarification on something.

The insfrstructure must just way too layered, bearocratic and the like. sound like the devs have no channels or communication with support at all.

I did request if my thread of emails could be forwarded about the original ticket I have open with them to some form of managment to investigate so they see what is going on, how the whole support process operates. Of course they will never do that, but if we are keep hassling them something is bound to leak through sooner or later.

Probably I would think a patch will appear but support don't seem no know anything about it. It is clear form their non-commital replies. So even if the devs are committed to develping a patch with best of intentions the message to the consumer is not working.

End rant :D

bratboy
2nd Aug 2007, 13:02
Well I wondered if they were going to use a "We never said it could" excuse. Sounds like total BS and an attempt to pass the buck to CL. Was TRL for PC only or was it also avail for PS2? I can't recall off hand but if it was for both platforms then its an obvious lie. Guess this will be my last Edios game, shame.****

GoranAgar
3rd Aug 2007, 08:01
nd moderators...... DELETE MY PROFILE, USERNAME ETC, I SHALL NEVER WASTE MY TIME WITH EIDOS OR ITS FORUM AGAIN, PERIOD.
If I did that all your replies would vanish too. And then everybody else would scream "Censorship!! Censorship!! Freedom of speech!!" :rolleyes:

Sorry, can't do that.

So, you people stopped playing the game because the surround sound does not work? :scratch:

afborro
25th Aug 2007, 18:40
Stopped playing it, deleted it, exchanged it.

Will use the exchange credit to buy a contempory game that actually uses the X-fi card that I paid good money for...!!!

Eidos can stick the game up their As

biker

Great game though, not one to be missed IMHO, that kind of issue is not the end of the world. I play with normal stereo enhanced headphones and sounds great.

But I agree EIDOS need something shoved up their ^%$ or other for lack of communication with the develepors doing the fixes. But they just don't seem to give a damn and not prepared to find out properly, it's a lot of standard sorry this that and other responses.

Don't you just love the world of IT. Perfect setup for blame culture so you can't actually get at the poeple who know something useful, they have made sure of that. like you say, they got your money.

Still the game is good but the need to sort out bugs. I've played it through twice now waiting that may be in 2010 we might get a patch. These dumb asses answering your emails know nothing or very little about what is actually happening, that's clear.

one thing they do a great job though is pissing people off with their lame replies, although I would say that with this sound issue they not are wrong, it just the game was made, it is not a bug.

May be one day people reading this at Crystal dynamics or Nixes software will see what a pathetic job EIDOS are doing on behalf of this game. Lets hope future title move onto somone else. but to be fair Nixxes and CD may be as much responsible for this setup of the communications channel. Still, Paul K could do more than a lot of the lame replies he gives. He should get off his lazy backside and moan to them on our behalf if need be. :(

I have a nice surprise waiting for them if the patch doens't fix certain things :rasp: probably wont change anything but at least a bit of publicity that will tell the world how they opertate and the shambles of it.