PDA

View Full Version : Battleships....

General
18th Jun 2007, 14:47
i hear the yamamoto is hard to take down im a right? after all it was the largest battleship ever built, but any way i'd like to hear wat stratagies and tactics have worked for you guys.

Scipio65
18th Jun 2007, 15:29
Make sure a new player that doesn't know how to use damage control is running it?

Seriously though. It isn't necessarily that hard. You just have to be patient to set up your attack and do as much damage as possible with planes and/or subs ahead of time, and then try to converge your BBs against it at the same time. Taking it on one US BB at a time on Samar is suicidal. Can work on Sibuyan if you are a better shot. But 2 BB v 1 BB is always going to be the better option. Throw in some combined air/pt boat/sub attacks while it is engaged in an artillery duel helps a lot too.

xgamerms999
18th Jun 2007, 17:46
i hear the yamamoto is hard to take down im a right? after all it was the largest battleship ever built, but any way i'd like to hear wat stratagies and tactics have worked for you guys.

First, it is called the Yamato, second, it is the largest BB ever built (not floating of course). Third, get a newb or be better than the "expert" useing it.

princecaspian4
19th Jun 2007, 03:34
Before it even gets to your ships, try to do as much damage as you can with planes and subs. when it gets to your BBs get everything you have to attack at once, and attack from different angles, that will overwhelm it. When your BBs are hitting it, get some dive bombers to fly in and aim for it's guns, a few well placed bombs will take out it's guns while your BB pounds if from long range, if you can, aim your BBs fire at it's guns, but that is harder from long range, while it fights your BB, see if you can sneak a DD in on it's other side and fill it with torps.

General
19th Jun 2007, 03:52
ok but i mean is it possible to use just one BB to take it down?

xgamerms999
19th Jun 2007, 04:38
One New York probubly couldn't but an Iowa could, if it had an "expert" captain.

Zaaaguy1
7th Jul 2007, 00:17
I have taken out the big Y and M's many times one on one with an Iowa Class. T-Bone her, take out her turrets, then pound her.

The Yamato
17th Jan 2008, 13:54
Yah if your skillful enough the Yamato should be easy to take down, but also never forget that your opponent might be skillful as well. I know that if you get a sub on the Yamato it takes 16 torps to take it down with the Yamato's damage control fully on water. Only a fool would take on a battleship with the Yamato with torps hitting the Yamato. The best tactic is to hit the Yamato with battleships and torps at the same time. With that you can take the Yamato down very quickly in a couple of waves. I think the Montana class would be better than the Iwoa class if it was in the game.

xgamerms999
18th Jan 2008, 02:28
They weren't even finished. Poor Montana, the only one of the Continental US not to have a BB/Capital ship named after it.

The Yamato
20th Jan 2008, 00:59
So lame I was playing today as the Yamato and my disc snapped from using it to much (play the game alot), I was right in a middle of a Iowa class Yamato class battle. I have to buy a new Battlestations Midway disc.

YUKIMURA300
20th Jan 2008, 11:12
The disc SNAPPED?

M0n3y
20th Jan 2008, 15:29
now THATS cool :D

well Yamato isn't that hard to beat

i can beat her easily with the Iowa...when i'm not under fire from the other BB :D

The Yamato
20th Jan 2008, 23:56
:scratch: Yah all the little scratches must of weakened the disc when it got hot and snapped inside the xbox360. Theres a straight crack all the way down.

xgamerms999
21st Jan 2008, 02:35
Mine broke on me too, a couple months ago, I had to buy a new one as well.

The Yamato
29th Jan 2008, 15:16
**** http://www.combinedfleet.com/yamato_c.htm

Check this out about the Iwoa vs Yamato thing, this site is ridiculous too many people overate the Iwoa class. Seriously I think these people on this website (link above) are delusional. I was really annoyed when I saw this site how you can rate in actuall digits the amour and other things out of 10, it is really inacurrate.

I haven't lost once on an Iwoa vs Yamato class battle apart from when my disc broke in the middle of the fight. It is much more easier to kill the Iwoa with the Yamato in the game.

In the real life Yamato if you look and search on the internet the actual statistics of the Yamato class far beats the Iwoa class statistics. Also the crew of the Yamato are far more experienced in naval warfare than that of the Iwoa crew.

If the Yamato got a full one barrage on the Iwoa in the game it would take about half the Iwoas health at the least. If no one beleives me that its possible, I will be happy to play them on a 1 on 1.;) By the way I am not directly refering the 2nd sentence in this post to members here (I am talking in general). So many people I talk to dont even know what the Yamato is. By the way I'm not japanese incase you were wondering. Examples of what people have said:

1. Is the the Yamato some kind of tomato (loads of people think it is).:rolleyes:
2. They always get the Yamato mixed with Yamamoto the japanese admiral of the the combined fleet of Imperial Japan.****
3. They haven't even heard of the Yamato and try to be funny and make jokes about the name Yamato when they dont know anything ( just makes them look dumb).:nut:

I forgot to tell you that I have got a new disc know so i'll be online on BM. All of this is not directed to any of you here but people I meet online and in real life (keep it in mind). You lot are cool people. :cool:

chupacabrasx
11th Feb 2008, 06:16
it seems like in the newest update for the battle of Samar, that the Yamato is not as powerfull as it once was.

I remember at first, the Yamato had no problem taking out a New York on it's own but lately, it seems that a single new york is doing enough damage to almost win the battle on its own, and can with the battle if the enemy carriers planes can do enough damage to it at the same time.

chupacabrasx
11th Feb 2008, 06:29

If the Yamato got a full one barrage on the Iwoa in the game it would take about half the Iwoas health at the least. If no one beleives me that its possible, I will be happy to play them on a 1 on 1.;) By the way I am not directly refering the 2nd sentence in this post to members here (I am talking in general). So many people I talk to dont even know what the Yamato is. By the way I'm not japanese incase you were wondering. Examples of what people have said:

1. Is the the Yamato some kind of tomato (loads of people think it is).:rolleyes:
2. They always get the Yamato mixed with Yamamoto the japanese admiral of the the combined fleet of Imperial Japan.****
3. They haven't even heard of the Yamato and try to be funny and make jokes about the name Yamato when they dont know anything ( just makes them look dumb).:nut:

I forgot to tell you that I have got a new disc know so i'll be online on BM. All of this is not directed to any of you here but people I meet online and in real life (keep it in mind). You lot are cool people. :cool:

Well, I have seen mixed results on the above statement. I suppose if you know how the shoot the Yamato and knwo where the Iowa's weak spot is (about 2/3 back towards the rear of the ship, right?), if the enemy has nothing set to damage control, and you get a full barrage off, yes, I suppose it is possible. This assumes of course that the IOWA player is stupid, that the Submarine commander is incompetent, and the enemy air commanders are either concentrating on the AirField or not paying attention to you.

Yes, I can think of times where the Yamato will completely outgun whatever the americans have. And I can think of times where the Yamoto went down suprisingly easy because the American's were able to hit the Yamoto with the Iowa and with TOrpoedo Bombers or the Submarines at the exact same moment

Jack459
28th Feb 2008, 23:24

Check this out about the Iwoa vs Yamato thing, this site is ridiculous too many people overate the Iwoa class. Seriously I think these people on this website (link above) are delusional. I was really annoyed when I saw this site how you can rate in actuall digits the amour and other things out of 10, it is really inacurrate.

I haven't lost once on an Iwoa vs Yamato class battle apart from when my disc broke in the middle of the fight. It is much more easier to kill the Iwoa with the Yamato in the game.

In the real life Yamato if you look and search on the internet the actual statistics of the Yamato class far beats the Iwoa class statistics. Also the crew of the Yamato are far more experienced in naval warfare than that of the Iwoa crew.

srry i had to post after i saw this.... the iowa had much a more advanced targeting system as well as its speed (over 33 knots) was over 7 knots faster than the yamato. The crew of the Yamato was infact not very experienced. The Yamato did have slightly stronger armor and the 18.1'' guns to boot but the shell did not have the velocity of one traveling from one of the Iowas 16''. Although ingame the Yamato owns the Iowa(i agree) if a real battle would have occured one on one (probably impossible anyways) the Iowa would easily have taken the Yamato

crazyhorse128
1st Apr 2008, 19:11
On sammar I took the yamato on 1v1 (me being in the NY) And I took her down, she got me to about 1/4 health. The secret was close her down but still keeping a broadside and when your close aim for the guns. For most the fight she only had her rear big guns.

David603
9th Apr 2008, 00:50
srry i had to post after i saw this.... the iowa had much a more advanced targeting system as well as its speed (over 33 knots) was over 7 knots faster than the yamato. The crew of the Yamato was infact not very experienced. The Yamato did have slightly stronger armor and the 18.1'' guns to boot but the shell did not have the velocity of one traveling from one of the Iowas 16''. Although ingame the Yamato owns the Iowa(i agree) if a real battle would have occured one on one (probably impossible anyways) the Iowa would easily have taken the Yamato

Let me educate you. The Iowas radar targeting system is better beyond 27,000 metres than the Yamatos but the Yamato can match the Iowa for accuracy within this range. The speeds for the Yamato and the Iowa are respectively 27 and 33 knots so the difference is 6 knots not "over 7". Crew don't come into this since we seem to be discussing the ships design but by the time that the Yamato was sunk she had a experienced crew which was however lacking in recent practice due to fuel being scarce. The Iowas crew is well trained but is also lacking in practice at anything more than shore bombardment or shooting down aircraft. The Yamato has substantialy more armour than the Iowa, to the extent that she can take a hit on her deck, turret or hull from any naval gun ever made at any range over 22,000 metres. This brings us to guns at which point you fall down again. The higher velocity and use of a super-heavy shell type do enable the Iowas guns to come close to the performance of the Yamatos 18.1in guns but do not exceed them so the Yamato has more powerful guns. And if you put these ships at 1.8 miles apart and both opened fire at the same moment then they would reduce each other to flaming wrecks with the first salvo and probably be unable to finish each other off due to damage to the gunnery systems, engines, turrets etc though the Yamato would have the advantage since her turrets have the only battleship armour in history to be able to take any shell from any range (even point blank) and you could get a 100% hit ratio at these ranges using the range finders mounted on the turrets themselves. So provided that the Iowa keeps further than 27,000 metres away from the Yamato then the Iowa has an accuracy advantage and her speed advantage lets her make a getaway if she starts taking major damage, but at any range under 27,000 metres the Yamato holds a gun and armour advantage and can use her own radar to match the Iowas accuracy. Hence the Iowa could not easily destroy the Yamato even at long ranges and at shorter ranges the Yamato holds most of the cards.

David603
9th Apr 2008, 01:06
On sammar I took the yamato on 1v1 (me being in the NY) And I took her down, she got me to about 1/4 health. The secret was close her down but still keeping a broadside and when your close aim for the guns. For most the fight she only had her rear big guns.
Easy enough to do if the other guy keeps coming and doesn't go broadside on to you. I have sunk the Yamato many times with the Pennsylvania doing this and a good trick is to group your destroyer so that it is close to the bow of your battleship, on the side closer to the Yamato. Since the guy in the Yamato is aiming at the bow wave/anchor, if you block this area from his view then his accuracy will be substantialy reduced as he will now be either aiming at the destroyer or aiming ahead and trying to guess exactly where you will be. Only thing, don't get in to close while using this trick or you will lose the destroyer and with it your cover.