PDA

View Full Version : Need simple video card advice!

Lynden
14th Jun 2007, 10:38
My computer recently had to be rebuilt - P4, duo core, Geforce 7900GS video card. I eventually got TG and T2 to (sort of) work but T2 looks pretty awful - rotten sky, colours washed out And lots of crashes.

So I bought a secondhand Dell, P3 1G, 512mg and had W98 installed, just for decent Thief play. I got a Geforce FX 5200 128Mb AGP thinking it would do, but it won't run T2 at all (don't know why). I'm using the Soldout T2 as my old T2 discs died, and the specs only say "3D Hardware Accelerator with a minimum of 4Mb, 16Mb recommended".

I know some of the more demanding FMs need a good card, though I never got that far with the Dell. I have read all the discussions here and on TTLG about video cards, and I am totally confused. I remember having a Radeon ages ago with the Rage3D fog tweak, and it looked good. But I don't remember which one it was.

Please, can anyone suggest a cheap (new/eBay) card that would play T1&2 FMs well? It won't have to run anything else. Definitely not T3 - I went through all the upgrade hassles for that and it wasn't worth the expense!

There has to be an affordable solution. Suggestions?

Komag
14th Jun 2007, 11:23
The 5200 is fine, so the problem is something else, perhaps the driver.

Lynden
14th Jun 2007, 12:04
Thanks.