PDA

View Full Version : USER INTERFACE Graphics settings range

LOFO1993
13th Nov 2013, 00:34
So, this is most likely ok, and it's certainly a good thing, but as long as we're here to try to find every small problem I'm gonna ask anyway.

Today I launched the game. The graphics was set to "higher" ("highest"? can't remember the name exactly, but it's the best one), filters on, wide field of view, everything to max settings. I played a whole match like that; it was more than playable, but the game kept on frameskipping a bit too much (in a strange way actually; I didn't really have a low framerate, it was like a 60/70 fps constant stream losing two or three frames every 10 or so).

Anyway, I quit and set everything to the lowest setting, took out all the heavy filters and left only dynamic lights and the other basic stuff. From then on the game played perfectly, I haven't seen a single frame getting lost since, which is great.

The point is: I didn't really see quite a difference between the lowest and the highest settings. On the contrary, if I were showed the two videos I would have thought only the blur and the flare effects were gone, but the texture quality didn't change at all.

The fact is I can't just go in and check of course, so what I ask is: should I see a huge difference between "low" and "higher" main graphical settings or not? Because I can't rule out the possibility that they actually didn't change at all even when I tried to, and that taking away the other effects was enough to get a better performance.

Psyonix_Eric
13th Nov 2013, 02:47
So, this is most likely ok, and it's certainly a good thing, but as long as we're here to try to find every small problem I'm gonna ask anyway.

Today I launched the game. The graphics was set to "higher" ("highest"? can't remember the name exactly, but it's the best one), filters on, wide field of view, everything to max settings. I played a whole match like that; it was more than playable, but the game kept on frameskipping a bit too much (in a strange way actually; I didn't really have a low framerate, it was like a 60/70 fps constant stream losing two or three frames every 10 or so).

Anyway, I quit and set everything to the lowest setting, took out all the heavy filters and left only dynamic lights and the other basic stuff. From then on the game played perfectly, I haven't seen a single frame getting lost since, which is great.

The point is: I didn't really see quite a difference between the lowest and the highest settings. On the contrary, if I were showed the two videos I would have thought only the blur and the flare effects were gone, but the texture quality didn't change at all.

The fact is I can't just go in and check of course, so what I ask is: should I see a huge difference between "low" and "higher" main graphical settings or not? Because I can't rule out the possibility that they actually didn't change at all even when I tried to, and that taking away the other effects was enough to get a better performance.

I'm actually going to accept this as a major win, lol. We had a bug at one point during development that the detail settings didn't do anything, but they actually do. We've gone to great lengths to make sure that we made as best use of textures as we can, so the main difference in what you'll see between High and Low are particles. There are moths flying around lights, fog sheets in some areas, that kind of stuff that slower PCs can't always handle (it's a lot of transparency). I've seen the memory comparisons on it and the Low settings use quite a bit less texture memory, the overdraw (transparency drawing overtop of itself from particles) is much less, and character textures aren't as high, but otherwise they're pretty close.

People with crazy good PCs will benefit from the small touches we've put in, but people with slower PCs won't have a totally destroyed experience with PS1-era textures. So this is intentional, and I'm super happy that someone outside of the art department noticed. :)

LOFO1993
13th Nov 2013, 12:04
Yes, the game with the lowest graphic settings still looks damn good and plays incredibly smooth, which I guess is a major win for a free to play (also still in alpha). Good job guys.

Crusader_bin
14th Nov 2013, 20:19
That made me want to crank the game even further with the nvidia inspector and see what would happen :) Not that I could report any of that here, besides general talk and comparison, since it's not supported. Well, next Monday I guess :) Because the best use for the PC, is to fry eggs on it ;)

hirukaru
15th Nov 2013, 19:39
@Eric,
I did not see any options for DX11 support yet (Tessellation etc.) Will there be any later on when the full release comes close?
Cause I do expect a bit more graphic power in full release but on high it runs now smoother then it did before the latest patch.

Crusader_bin
21st Nov 2013, 15:18
@Eric,
I did not see any options for DX11 support yet (Tessellation etc.) Will there be any later on when the full release comes close?
Cause I do expect a bit more graphic power in full release but on high it runs now smoother then it did before the latest patch.

Go to:
C:\Users\USER ACCOUNT\Documents\my games\Nosgoth\BCMPGame\Config

BCMPSystemSettings

And you can crank that up ;) Might also do some driver tweaks with nvidia inspector or similiar apps for other gpu's.
UE has some pretty nice stuff in those configs, never seen a game that gives you the power to tweak all of them :P

hirukaru
22nd Nov 2013, 15:18
Go to:
C:\Users\USER ACCOUNT\Documents\my games\Nosgoth\BCMPGame\Config

BCMPSystemSettings

And you can crank that up ;) Might also do some driver tweaks with nvidia inspector or similiar apps for other gpu's.
UE has some pretty nice stuff in those configs, never seen a game that gives you the power to tweak all of them :P

I can indeed turn it on that way, but that does not mean the game supports it. Rather have it implemented.

Psyonix_Eric
22nd Nov 2013, 17:45
@Eric,
We don't currently have any plans for DX11 features like tesselation.

hirukaru
22nd Nov 2013, 20:16
We don't currently have any plans for DX11 features like tesselation.

Oké thanks for letting me know Eric.

"Still not banned"

Zeholipael
12th Aug 2014, 19:02
People with crazy good PCs will benefit from the small touches we've put in, but people with slower PCs won't have a totally destroyed experience with PS1-era textures. So this is intentional, and I'm super happy that someone outside of the art department noticed. :)

You... What? I'm having trouble with the game precisely BECAUSE of the textures! Are you seriously saying the game won't have different texture qualities? Do you not realize how utterly backwards that is and how many people you're going to be leaving out in the cold? Would it be impossible to have texture quality as a separate setting?