PDA

View Full Version : Windowed Mode

Ainsley3389
11th Jun 2007, 11:47
Okay first of all Im not trying to start a big argument about why people want to play a game in a window. Some people just want to! So please, don't take this as me being rude, but please don't answer me with things like "just alt+tab between programs." That is not what i need.

Is there any possible way a programmer could make tomb raider anniversary (and legend) playable in a window? Such as editing some script file or something. I remember when i played Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines, there was only one solution to go into window mode. It was so complicating, I believe it was something like this:

To enable or disable window mode, bring up your start menu and choose RUN...
Type in REGEDIT and then press OK.

Click on HKEY_CURRENT_USER then

> SOFTWARE

> TROIKA

> VAMPIRE

> SETTINGS

double click on the ScreenWindowed file and change the Value data to 1 if you
want to enable window mode or 0 to disable it.

Is this possible to do with tomb raider anniversary? If not, I know -w, -windowed doesnt work. So hopefully some programmer out there can edit something to make this game play in a window...i mean it cant be impossible right?

P.S. Didnt mean to sound rude in beginning of post, I just am really tired of seeing fifty million posts where people ask about windowed mode, and get no REAL answers. I just want some real answers =(

Leak
11th Jun 2007, 13:05
Is there any possible way a programmer could make tomb raider anniversary (and legend) playable in a window?
Yes.

That programmer would be the same team that wrote the game, and nobody else. You can't just graft something resembling windowed mode onto an existing program without changing the source code, which is behind lock and key at Eidos/Crystal Dynamics.

If there's no option for it yet - don't hold your breath.

Ainsley3389
11th Jun 2007, 13:34
Thank you :) thats what i needed to know...if it was possible to do it outside of the game with a seperate program or something, but thank you for clearing it up for me. Just hopefully it will be something they dont forget to implement in the next tomb raider game. ;)

Xcom
11th Jun 2007, 13:53
There is a free, little program called DxWnd that allows you to run DirectX games in windowed mode. I don't have a link, but you can google for it.

Leak
11th Jun 2007, 15:42
There is a free, little program called DxWnd that allows you to run DirectX games in windowed mode. I don't have a link, but you can google for it.
Ummm... make that DirectDraw games - you know, the other part of DirectX that's for 2D... I really doubt it'll work for 3D games...

*tests it*

Heh, it doesn't even get past the copy protection since SecuROM gets all uppity due to the kernel function hooking DxWnd has to do...

In other words: no go.

np: Robert Babicz - Neoreplicator (A Cheerful Temper)

Xcom
11th Jun 2007, 15:56
I didn't test it extensively, but it works for me... (and by that I mean I can start with no problem).

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/8691/dxwndro5.th.jpg (http://img116.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dxwndro5.jpg)