PDA

View Full Version : Pronounciation of "Scion"

Nefarian
9th Jun 2007, 12:51
Hm... just a small thought...

Did the word "Scion" Really pronounced as "Skeeoon" ?
In fact, in other game which has this word, Legacy Of Kain by Crystal Dynamic itself, they pronounce "Saaiion".

And this website too:

http://www.lexiconer.com/es.php?snd=18k02/iscion.mp3&play=true

Bantam
9th Jun 2007, 12:54
When i played tr1 i called it a 'see-on', but not with tra i just go with the flow and call it the 'skee-on'

i doesnt really make much difference to the game

TR-AOD
9th Jun 2007, 12:57
i had always pronounced it sigh-on :o

Nefarian
9th Jun 2007, 13:07
Ha of course this doesn't really make the game any difference. Just a thought :p Anyway I prefer it to be "Saaaion"

Shrensh
9th Jun 2007, 13:24
In Tomb Raider 1 it was pronounced "skee-on", so in Anniversary it's pronounced that way too.

I prefer to pronounce it "sigh-on" myself.

Atheist
9th Jun 2007, 13:33
It's 'skee-on' but I always pronouced it 'sigh-on' :o

I like 'sigh-on' better though. I always thought 'sci' was pronouced 'sigh' as in 'sci-fi'.

LarasBFF
9th Jun 2007, 14:13
i had always pronounced it sigh-on :o

Me too TR-AOD!

9th Jun 2007, 14:26
It's 'skee-on' but I always pronouced it 'sigh-on' :o

I like 'sigh-on' better though. I always thought 'sci' was pronouced 'sigh' as in 'sci-fi'.

Exactly my opinion.

Phlip
9th Jun 2007, 14:27
I think it's pronounced as: Skee-on.

est1856
9th Jun 2007, 15:06
In the cutscene it's pronounced 'Skee on'

Phlip
9th Jun 2007, 15:09
In the cutscene it's pronounced 'Skee on'
Exactly so what's the point of this thread if we could give a link from a TR1 cutscene were someone says Scion?

Vake Xeacons
9th Jun 2007, 15:12
Originally, I thought that was just bad script writing. The word, in English, is pronounced "Si-on", like the car. It means "decendant"

Now as for the artifact here, the voice actors are still pronouncing it
"Ske-on" like in the original TR1. So, I guess that's how we'll pronounce it too.

By the way, what about "Xian"? In TR2, they never mentioned the name in the dialogue. Is it "Zi-an" or "Shzee-on"?

Lo
9th Jun 2007, 15:17
This is a little like the dilemma over TRII's pronounciation of 'Xian' as in both the temple and the dagger.

I have it on good authority that it pronounced 'Shen' :)

LaraCroftLuver
9th Jun 2007, 15:19
I go with whatever Lara says it is for she is the perfessional

Vake Xeacons
9th Jun 2007, 15:29
I FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!

All the books around Lara's mansion in TR:A!!! There's one (I think in the hall to the music room, or library, or somewhere) that talks of the Dagger!!!!

Lara pronounced it "Zi-an"

So, we have the Atlantean "Skee-on" and the Dagger of "Zi-an"

Phlip
9th Jun 2007, 15:38
I'll have to find that one. I always knew that it might have been called Ze-an but I always called it exan. The same for Eidos, I always used to call it Edios and then someone told me it was pronounced I-dos. :o

Atheist
9th Jun 2007, 16:04
I pronouced 'Xion', 'ex-i-on' :lol:
But I know that's not right, that's me being lazy and not thinking of how to say it porperly :D

Atheist
9th Jun 2007, 16:05
I always used to call it Edios and then someone told me it was pronounced I-dos. :o

Same! I always pronouced it 'Ee-dee-os' then I heard a documentary that said, 'I-dos' and I was like, :o...oops :rolleyes::lol:

I spelt it 'Edios', too! :lol: It used to take me 20 mins to get to this page :p

LarasBFF
9th Jun 2007, 16:49
Originally, I thought that was just bad script writing. The word, in English, is pronounced "Si-on", like the car. It means "decendant"

Well done!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Now as for the artifact here, the voice actors are still pronouncing it
"Ske-on" like in the original TR1. So, I guess that's how we'll pronounce it too.

By the way, what about "Xian"? In TR2, they never mentioned the name in the dialogue. Is it "Zi-an" or "Shzee-on"?

They pronounce it "Zeye-on"

L3ggy
9th Jun 2007, 17:02
I pronounce it "skee-on".

Nefarian
9th Jun 2007, 17:33
Should be "Saaee-on"

Always prefer how Kain pronounce it~~

As for Eidos, Last time I pronounce it as "aeedos" :lol:

Sorin
9th Jun 2007, 20:08
I find it really, really bizzare the way they are pronouncing it. I've always said that word the same you say the name of the car company. Which is "Sci" as in Sci-Fi, and then "on".

Lo
10th Jun 2007, 09:35
OK I've looked it up. I said earlier that Xian it is pronounced 'Shen' and I'm not far off:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/xian

Here's the link for 'Scion':

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/scion

SarahC
10th Jun 2007, 16:43
I think both cases are simple mispronunciations from the voice actors. Honestly, I always thought "Scion" was pronounced "sigh-on" and that Larson just mangled it with his Texas accent when he was talking to Lara in that cut-scene from the first game: "Yeah, an' that drivelin' piece uh the skee-on, you want tuh keep it so bad..."

"Xian" on the other hand is romanized Chinese - Xi in Chinese is pronounced like "she", not "ze". This is almost certainly a blantant error in pronunciation as opposed to a deliberate choice, since voice actors and actresses have to muddle through with their best when confronted with words in unfamiliar languages.

But I suppose only Vicky Arnold knows for sure. :)

*huggles*
Sarah

Shrensh
10th Jun 2007, 17:08
I think both cases are simple mispronunciations from the voice actors. Honestly, I always thought "Scion" was pronounced "sigh-on" and that Larson just mangled it with his Texas accent when he was talking to Lara in that cut-scene from the first game: "Yeah, an' that drivelin' piece uh the skee-on, you want tuh keep it so bad..."
I also thought that Larson was mangling the pronunciation in TR1, until one day I realised that it is also pronounced "skee-on" in the FMV just before St Francis Folly where Lara breaks into Natla's building.

Mangar The Dark
10th Jun 2007, 17:40
The actual English word "scion" is correcntly pronounced "Sigh-on", but the word has nothing to do with an Atlantian artifact. It basically means "student."

The artifact in Tomb Raider is pronounced "Skee-on." It shares the same spelling as the English word "scion," but has a totally different meaning, so I guess it's okay to pronounce it differently.

It's like Coruscant in Star Wars. The actual English word "coruscant" (meaning glittering, shining), is pronounced "cor-US-cant." The name of the planet in Star Wars, though, shares the same spelling but is pronounced "COR-a-sahnt"

TR-AOD
10th Jun 2007, 23:03
i just blame the yanks for there bad pronunctuation of english :whistle: i mean come on have you heard how americans pronounce aluminium :eek:

< runs away whistling star spangled banner >

Bampire
10th Jun 2007, 23:04
I pronounce it "see-on"

LisaB1962
11th Jun 2007, 00:26
I think it was mis-pronounced in the first game, and they've merely perpetuated the error.

A scion is an heir or descendant. I don't think word was originally intended to refer to the artifact itself, merely the game's plot (Altantis's last survivor and her "progeny." )

I don't think the artifact is referred to as the scion in the original game. Could be wrong though. Been a while. ;)

Vlad-II
11th Jun 2007, 01:53
I always thought it was "Sky-on" and then I realized in this game that it was "Ski-on", lol. :)

Joana Croft
11th Jun 2007, 02:00
seems we all have some touble about the sound of the words :P. My bf also found it strange the scion being menitoned as 'skee-on' being 'sghi-on' the "correct" way in a british accent, but i just though, did eidos wanted to make a english frendly name for a non englihs artifact? like to make it sound more... real maybe, thats my opinion :o

ggctuk
11th Jun 2007, 10:29
Well, I always called it "skee-on." Always.

tomb_raiding
11th Jun 2007, 13:34
I used to pronouce it sayyon before TRA was released.

Raziel_Requiem
8th Jul 2007, 23:03
The word Scion is technically pronounced: sī'on
However, if Eidos or whoever state that it is pronounced in another way, then for the purposes of the game and the artifact within the game's name's pronunciation, then they are correct.

Undiscovered_Tomb
8th Jul 2007, 23:06
i use to think it was called sina kon lmao

Faye
8th Jul 2007, 23:29
That reminds me, something I need to pull myself up on...

I'm always pronouncing Qualopec as "qual-OH-pec" rather than "QUAL-oh-pec" even though I know full well that the latter is the correct pronunciation! No idea why lol!

Strangely, it is the same with Tihocan. I am always pronouncing it "TIE-hocan" rather than "TEE-hocan". Need to correct myself on that! :lol:

Below Zero
9th Jul 2007, 02:30
I use to say see-on too, but it is skee-on.

Demarest
9th Jul 2007, 02:53
I always referred to it as PSI-on, not SKEE-on. No biggie either way.

ChOnyD
9th Jul 2007, 03:21
A very interesting thread. I have always called it "Ski-on" and never thought of the possibility of it being "Sigh-on".

Well, in my opinion, I think that "Ski-on" sounds more like an Atlantean Artifact, but thats just my opinion.:D

Tiri Li
9th Jul 2007, 08:08
I've always pronounced it si-on, basically with a silent c and an emphasised I. When the Natha pronounced skion, I suprised, to be honest.

Mertz523
9th Jul 2007, 19:45
Nice thread. I love pronunciation, because I can usually figure it out.

Not in the 3 cases that have been borugh up, though, :lol:

I thought Scion was, like many, sigh-on. Skee-on makes sense, though.

I think Xian was supposed be pronounced as Zhahn, but Lara prononounced it as Zi an in the TRA mansion. (I still hope that's a sign we will be getting a TR2: Anniversary for the 15th Anniversary or something for TR) My older brother called it ex-ee-an.

As for Eidos, I thought it was I-dose. It wasn't until the TRA documentaries online that I heard it as I-dos. My older brother called it I-E-Dose

Tirinka
10th Jul 2007, 02:11
I bring up my old motto:
'It's all spelled the same, so why care about the pronunciation?'

I pronounced it 'Sch-e-on' or 'Ski-on'
Xian, I pronounced 'Z... Z... Uh... That thing, ya know...' :nut:

boots
10th Jul 2007, 02:57
"Zion."

It's Zian, isn't it? I can't help it. I say "sigh-on" too, until I remember that for TR purposes that's not correct (and I never have the opportunity to talk about scions outside of TR purposes, so there's no real reason for that!) Hmm, actually now that I think about it, I pronounce them both the same way. I also always say I-dos, although at first I thought it was ee-dee-os. Oh well.

Does anyone mispronounce Lara's name? :D They pronounce it in the game the same way I do ("Lar-ah"), but I have learned that having that name means you really have at least five different ones that no one can agree on. :lol: I wonder if she always gets asked "do you pronounce it lar-a or lair-a?" too. :rolleyes:

Squishy
10th Jul 2007, 06:15
I say Ski-on :cool:

The_Hylden
10th Jul 2007, 10:32
The actual English word "scion" is correcntly pronounced "Sigh-on", but the word has nothing to do with an Atlantian artifact. It basically means "student."

The artifact in Tomb Raider is pronounced "Skee-on." It shares the same spelling as the English word "scion," but has a totally different meaning, so I guess it's okay to pronounce it differently.

It's like Coruscant in Star Wars. The actual English word "coruscant" (meaning glittering, shining), is pronounced "cor-US-cant." The name of the planet in Star Wars, though, shares the same spelling but is pronounced "COR-a-sahnt"

Not so, exactly. The word basically means a descendant, or one that is prophesied to carry on. It has synonyms of prodigy and child, but only in the most simplistic way.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
scion /'sa??n/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[sahy-uhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a descendant.
2. Also, cion. a shoot or twig, esp. one cut for grafting or planting; a cutting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1275–1325; ME shoot, twig < OF cion < Frankish *ki- (cf. OE cinan, OS kinan, OHG chinan to sprout, OE cith, OS kith sprout) + OF -on n. suffix]

That fits totally with the meaning of Lara in this, if you pay attention to it. She is crafted to be a descendant of the Atlantian Gods, or why else would Natalia find her so interesting and allow her to get the scion for her? It's Laura's prize; she is the scion that wields the artifact. As Nefarian brought up in this discussion originally (if you can call it that), it's completely similar to Legacy of Kain where Kain is said to be the Scion of Balance. The decedent of the Ancient race that built the Pillars that will restore the original intent of them, or the will of them, to carry on their legacy. Laura was also fitted to be this but makes her choice at the end. It's no wonder that Crystal Dynamics makes so many references to their game series in this -- Legacy of Kain -- as there are many parallels to the fundamental storyline. LoK being far more complex, obviously, but still...

The correct pronunciation is Sie-on. The "C" is silent.

If you don't pronounce Science fiction Skeyence Fiction, then you should apply the same pronunciation to this. As has been stated over and over, it's only Skey-on in the game because that's the way it was in the first Tomb Raider. They made some mistakes, just like the mistake of the Ancient Greek god of water being Neptune, which is the Roman God of Water, in the original Tomb Raider that this is based off of, instead of Poseidon. Poseidon is the true Greek god and they explain that in the commentaries. They should also have explained the mispronunciation of this word as well, but oh well...

Speaking of having things in common with Legacy of Kain: LoK also started out with a mispronunciation, that of the Latin phrase Vae victus: “Suffering (Woe) to the Conquered.” It would really have been Wae Wictus, I believe, in pronunciation. But, that happens.

Of course, mispronouncing English is a little worse than Latin, a dead language:p Heh

DayLightX
10th Jul 2007, 11:36
I prefer reading it as "Sigh-on" over "ski-on" :D

i just blame the yanks for there bad pronunctuation of english :whistle: i mean come on have you heard how americans pronounce aluminium :eek:

< runs away whistling star spangled banner >

:lol: they actually spell that word differently too. In America, it's spelt as "Aluminum" (Ah-Lu-Me-Num) instead of
"Aluminium" (Ah-Lu-Mini-Um) (notice how the American version is missing an "i" ?)

Then there's the whole
"Toe-may-toe" vs "Toe-maaaaa-toe"

or
"Day-ta" vs "Daa-ta"

Mangar The Dark
10th Jul 2007, 13:44
The correct pronunciation is Sie-on. The "C" is silent.

Again, though, that's only the correct pronunciation of the word that means "descendant," or "heir" (sorry for saying it meant "student" in my previous post... I was mistaken.) The word "Scion" in TR, however, is referring to a fictional artifact, and therefore can be pronounced differently. Sure, both words share the same spelling, but they're different words, nonetheless. Ultimately, since Core created the artifact, they could name it whatever they wanted to name it, and they can spell it however they want.