PDA

View Full Version : Are We Compromising Quality Gameplay For Better Graphics?

Lo
9th Jun 2007, 07:38
Hi Raiders,

It's a question that needs to be asked and probably already has - several times whilst I was not looking ;)

Is Tomb Raider losing it's identity, fluidity and overall enjoyability in favour of enhanced graphics?

For me certainly, as much as I drool over the improved look of the newer games, I find that the actual gameplay has become somewhat of a lower priority and has been overlooked somewhat.

More importantly perhaps, do the gaming industry per se think we will eventually tire of 'the same old control set-up' and 'the same old challenges'?

It seems as though the graphics are taking precedence over the quality of the gaming experience. Levels are becoming shorter as are the quantity of levels per game, largely speaking.

When I consulted walkthrough indexes for earlier TR games, all too often I was revelling in the realisation that I had been playing for what seemed like a lifetime and yet there were STILL oodles more levels yet to go. But with Legend, for example, although still not completed, I checked a walkthrough and was disappointed to discover I was over half-way through and yet I didn't feel I had even started!

I post this here in the Anniversary board because I have read and digested many disgruntled posts about the game. Here is a classic showcase example of a game that was presumably designed to reflect and commemorate the original Tomb Raider and yet for many reasons it doesn't measure up. I read that the levels are shorter, the gameplay is infinitely more difficult and that some of the original levels are not even included.

Of course, I would have to reserve judgement until I myself play Anniversary but I trust other seasoned Raiders when they give a fair critique and not one that is critical for the sake of it - a critique that basically oozes dissatisfaction and for seemingly bonafide reasons.

Given the choice, would folk prefer to compromise the graphics and artistic excellence in favour of a better quality of gameplay? Because it seems as though you can't have both :scratch:

Answers on an Eidos postcard please ;)

GeorgeMaciver
9th Jun 2007, 07:43
The gameplay in Anniversary is far beyond anything TR1 offered and I'm enjoying Anniversary more than I enjoyed TR1. And that's the truth. I played St Francis Folly last night and it took me 5 hours to get through and I loved every second (apart from that grapple backjump to the column) http://209.85.48.11/3106/35/emo/%28%28bowj%28K9%29%29.gif

Kali84
9th Jun 2007, 08:00
i agree they levels are shorter and less thought out, but more pretty and attention to detail.

to be quite honest i prefer the old graphics. something about the late 90s stuff just gets me, whereas the new stuff is almost... too nice?

Phlip
9th Jun 2007, 08:14
I always thought that graphics would just natraully want to be improved, they wouldn't want to worsen them would they? :D

I also always thought that developers just simply ran out of ideas for future games and don't want to use previous ideas and thus a shorter game. Mabe they need help?

Lo
9th Jun 2007, 08:15
i agree they levels are shorter and less thought out, but more pretty and attention to detail.

to be quite honest i prefer the old graphics. something about the late 90s stuff just gets me, whereas the new stuff is almost... too nice?

I see your point. I often wonder though how much more enjoyable it would be to have the nice graphics and yet retain the old movement format of Lara. She feels too sluggish, she shimmies like a monkey and swings like a skunk with a firework up it's rear end :p

Some graphics on the next gen games are cool but I also happen to think they appear dull at times. I like the bright colours and textures of the earlier games too :)

I always thought that graphics would just natraully want to be improved, they wouldn't want to worsen them would they? :D

I also always thought that developers just simply ran out of ideas for future games and don't want to use previous ideas and thus a shorter game. Mabe they need help?

I'm not at all opposed to graphics being improved. We have to 'go with the flow' as it were. But when it arguably starts to lessen the quality of the actual game, be that in terms of storylines, controls, shorter levels et al, then we have to examine just where the future of gaming as we KNEW it lies :rolleyes:

ColdBlueSun
9th Jun 2007, 10:14
In general I too feel that games these days are too short. Perhaps it's just warped perception of thinking an older game was longer when it wasn't. Or perhaps games really are getting shorter. But the graphics should never play a part in that (especially not for PC games). Perhaps then, we have the consoles to blame and their limited storage space which is being eaten up by bigger and better graphics leaving no room for actual content.

Perhaps it's just marketing and the fact that shorter games mean more chance of sequels to tell a story that used to fit in one game but can be spread out to two or more to bring in more cash!

In the case of this particular game, I feel the gameplay has improved in leaps and bounds over the originals. But they are too short and time trials etc. to "extend" gameplay don't really interest me. I play for story. And thus would love games to be very long to tell a full and complete story, instead of eeking out extra gameplay time with hunting for unlockables.

Rai
9th Jun 2007, 10:27
I don't think this should be in the Anniversary section of the forums. This is a general discussion on all games by the sounds of it. It certainly isn't based on your experience with Anniversary as you don't have that game yet (and may not even be getting it until Xmas :D ).

You do mention Legend as an example. And yes, this game is very short and although lovely to look at there isn't a lot about it that has the 'classic' TR feel. And of course, there's the new controls, but then I'm not bothered by the controls.

TRA uses the same controls as TRL, so get used to it. Lara is adaptable, so you can be. The camera is on occasion awkward and some of the new moves are near-on impossible to master. Again, I say to those who are complaining, Adapt and persevere. But as a game (I haven't finished) I'm totally loving it. It does have that classic TR feel and more. It looks and sounds stunning and this adds to the quality of the actual gaming. I seriously don't understand what everyone seems to be complaining about. Are they playing a different game to me? :confused:

Get the game, play it, get frustrated with it, get that feeling of immense achievement when you get past a difficult part and then come back here to let us know your opinions as I just know you will!

If Eidos and Crystal D can do with Legend 2 what they have done with TRA then they will have a winner on their hands.

As a final note (and I apologize for the longevity of this post) is this: TRA is a remake and so a lot of great memories from the classics come flooding back, which include how those games played (controls etc) and now gamers feel that because TRA doesn't have the same quality (over-bright colours and blocky movements) it hasn't lived up to expectations? IE: As a remake of TR1 it should have everything that game had in it, including the crappy controls. If you try to get passed the nostalgia and try to view TRA as a completely new gaming experience, you shouldn't have a problem and just love it. :D

Lo
9th Jun 2007, 10:44
I don't think this should be in the Anniversary section of the forums. This is a general discussion on all games by the sounds of it. It certainly isn't based on your experience with Anniversary as you don't have that game yet (and may not even be getting it until Xmas :D ).

I apologise for my misgivings :rolleyes:

Only I thought it was relevant/worthy of discussion in the current game board. Why? Because I have a sneaky feeling that all future games are going to go down the same route. The other games almost come under a different genre by comparison.

I don't have Anniversary, no. But I have read many a critique, as stated. I also know that the controls mirror Legend and therefore this thread is not so misplaced in it's intent on discussing future TR releases ;)

rabid metro
9th Jun 2007, 18:35
I apologise for my misgivings ... I don't have Anniversary, no. But I have read many a critique, as stated ...
Lo, dear heart, can i suggest that you have "vibed" with the critiques ...
there have been numerous wonderful comments made about TRA that don't seem to have resonated with you ...

the developers are more balanced (and far more judicious) in their perceptions of feedback from forums ...

i would also agree that this is a general discussion topic,
and that it is becoming disingenious for members to wedge a topic here just because TRA is popular ...
on the other hand, no one is forcing anyone to read ... topics like this. still ...

They say that Dolly Parton once said that you can't stuff 10 pounds of potatoes into a 5 pound sack.
They say that those that can't play, post!

L3ggy
9th Jun 2007, 18:44
The gameplay has been decreasing while the graphics has increasing.