PDA

View Full Version : How would you rate Tomb Raider Anniversary???

shurik
9th Jun 2007, 05:31
As everyone knows the new Tomb Raider Anniversary have been released ;) and here's a chance once again for everyone to vote and tell how you really liked the game according to all TR series.

The poll is from 1-10, from worst to best. For me, honestly this time it's 10+ all the way. :thumbsup: Well lets hear from you guys and girls!!!

Let me also say that Eidos & Crystal Dynamics have done an incredible job. :thumbsup: The Tomb Raider Legend came out as an excellent game, but for me this time Tomb Raider Anniversary is the winner of all time. This game brought memories, and the gaming experience I ever wanted. I was truly amazed how great and enjoyable the game was. And this time let me say...
...Very Well Done Eidos And Crystal Dynamics!!! :thumbsup:

Headshots4life
9th Jun 2007, 05:42
Excellent :thumbsup:

Kali84
9th Jun 2007, 06:34
7 - its better (than legend, but worse than tr1)

not a bad game, the only reason i have any complaints at all is because of all the hype from eidos and half of it turned out to be quite the stretch of the truth...

GeorgeMaciver
9th Jun 2007, 07:39
Excellent, superb, awesome and brilliant. I'm enjoying it more than I enjoyed TR1 http://209.85.48.11/3106/35/emo/%28%28bowj%28K9%29%29.gif

FallenxFromxLight
9th Jun 2007, 11:52
I've become sort of the "public defender" of Anniversary if you follow me on forums and it's because I realized something about 1/3 of the way through Anniversary that I never really got when playing AOD or the last Tomb Raiders, and that's the fact that Crystal Dynamics really loves Lara Croft.

From the careful attention they give to making her a respectable woman (notice the lack of revealing attire in this game and her new fleshed out personality), down to the painstaking details put into most if not all of Anniversary's locations, you get a company that really cares about the character they're portraying and the game they're creating.

Great work Crystal D, I feel more comfortable with you making Tomb Raider than I ever did with Core after Chronicles.

GeorgeMaciver
9th Jun 2007, 11:54
Good observations Fallenx :)

Rai
9th Jun 2007, 12:11
I'm with you on this one Fallenx. I totally agree with what you are saying. As I look around these forums, I feel a bit down-hearted with everyone's reactions

I love this game. If Crystal keep up the good work when working on Legend 2 then they will have a brilliant game for sure. They were heading in the right direction with Legend despite its shortness and now with TRA, they've really got the TR feel back - and more in my opinion. :D

I give a HUGE thumbs up to Eidos and Crystal Dynamics for their dedication Lara and Raiding. They put a lot of thought and effort to create a game that is both nostalgic and a new gaming experience. Keep it up!! :)

Phlip
9th Jun 2007, 15:03
It's good.

Mangar The Dark
9th Jun 2007, 15:09
Excellent. CD really nailed it with this one.

Also, I have to agree with FallenXFromXLight... CD seems to be making more of an effort than Core ever did to really make Lara into a fully developed character. She's no longer just a "tough chick in hot clothes," she now has some depth and different sides to her personality.

Vake Xeacons
9th Jun 2007, 15:42
Aside from the bugs, everything seems really great. There's times I have trouble with jumping and/or grabing ledges and I don't know if that's a design flaw or just a bug.

I love the puzzles. It's nostalgic and all together new at the same time. Some areas, like the puzzles in Palace Midas are only vaguely remenicent of TR1, but part of the puzzle is recognizing the area. As long as you remember TR1, that gives you a basic (just a basic) idea of how to go about it while figuring out what new twists they put on the classic puzzle.

The areas are certainly bigger, as far as sheer scale goes. The waterfalls are taller, the ledges are higher, and so on. Not to mention the extentions of all the puzzles.

The puzzles are back to just "Pull switch to open door" but since the game expanded extensively on climbing and overall navagation, where the focus mainly is, the puzzles aren't a problem.

And the plot explains so much more, and in a much better way, than it did in TR1. Lara, as we all agree, has one of the best personalities in TR:A than she's had in years (with the exeption of TR7, of course). Not only Lara, but Larson and Pierre as well. They're not the ditsy morons they were in TR5. Much more formidable enemies this time. The script is much better written, but keeps classic lines in there like "I only play for sport" and "Pierre, you litter-bug."

The only major problem I'm having is the bugs. It crashes on occation, Lara doesn't want to grab on to certain ledges (ledges she grabs moments earlier), and now I can't pick up ammo. And if you read the "Technical Problem forum" you know I'm not the only one having these, and many more, problems. Once the bugs get fixed, things should be going great.

PS Someone email Crystal D and tell them to fix the bugs for the Wii version. This is crucial.

L3ggy
9th Jun 2007, 16:40
It's exellent

shurik
9th Jun 2007, 17:48
I've become sort of the "public defender" of Anniversary if you follow me on forums and it's because I realized something about 1/3 of the way through Anniversary that I never really got when playing AOD or the last Tomb Raiders, and that's the fact that Crystal Dynamics really loves Lara Croft.

From the careful attention they give to making her a respectable woman (notice the lack of revealing attire in this game and her new fleshed out personality), down to the painstaking details put into most if not all of Anniversary's locations, you get a company that really cares about the character they're portraying and the game they're creating.

Great work Crystal D, I feel more comfortable with you making Tomb Raider than I ever did with Core after Chronicles.

I also agree with you on this one Fallen! I felt exactly the same when I only got to 1/3 of the game ;) It became my best Tomb Raider of all! :thumbsup: They are truly doing an excellent job with Tomb Raider and Lara herself, and showed us something we TR fans been looking forward all this time.
I really like and enjoy this Anniversary! :thumbsup:

shurik
10th Jun 2007, 16:46
Well let's keep this thread alive, I'm pretty sure there are more people who didn't vote cause they didn't finish the game yet. :)

Werner Von Croy
10th Jun 2007, 19:18
Excellent, superb, awesome and brilliant. I'm enjoying it more than I enjoyed TR1 http://209.85.48.11/3106/35/emo/%28%28bowj%28K9%29%29.gif

Yeah another Scot, well i love it, very challenging welcome back Lara, one critisism is In the Sanctury of The Scion level, when you have to get past the two stone traps, the first one got past no problems, the second one was virtually impossible, but did manage it after around 2 hours trying, managed to get past the second one on a pure glitch and nothing else.

gopher666
10th Jun 2007, 19:47
Indeed, the Scots are everywhere. What stone trap? Is it the one where you duck?

Werner Von Croy
10th Jun 2007, 20:02
Indeed, the Scots are everywhere. What stone trap? Is it the one where you duck?

The one on the right of the sphinx it's two traps eventually when you get past them (After around say 3 hours) you get to first room with the 4 obliesks and water at the bottom, where you have to solve the puzzle to get the Ankh key, the second ones easier though.

rabid metro
10th Jun 2007, 20:45
... Crystal Dynamics really loves Lara Croft ...

to legitimize their Lara love they got Toby Gard (creator for TR1 who walked away after TR1, in disgust at the direction that Core wanted to take Tomb Raider) and made him the Story Designer for all things Tomb Raider ...
Toby's continuing involvement with the game will be a good barometer of CD's commitment to get it right (this time).

BlueSkiesXXV
10th Jun 2007, 21:13
Most definitely EXCELLENT!!!

With this latest release, Crystal Dynamics have proven that they now have their finger on the pulse of all things 'Tomb Raider' & it puts them in a great position for Legend II.
We should all be very excited & thankful that Lara has retaken her rightful position in the gaming universe :)

I also have to add that it is great to see that both the majority of us raiders and the gaming press agree that this title is ace :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

CharlieTrace
10th Jun 2007, 21:19
10. My expectations were met and exceeded. There were areas in the game that I didn't even think they'd bother to remake, and there was definitely an understanding of what made the first game so enjoyable and eerie.

A great example of this is the music. It fits in perfectly with the music from TR1 and, more importantly, with the mood. Listen to the background music in Croft Manor and even as a new player, you're subtly being given the hint that this game takes place in a world where there is still magic and there are more than just artifacts to be found in those ruins; there's danger and horrifying things, and while Lara may be safe now, in her home, you still have that sense of vague unease. That's what the first three Tomb Raiders did so well. You always have this sense like something is sneaking up behind you, even when you know for a fact that you're safe, that nothing is coming.

shurik
11th Jun 2007, 03:17
10. My expectations were met and exceeded. There were areas in the game that I didn't even think they'd bother to remake, and there was definitely an understanding of what made the first game so enjoyable and eerie.

A great example of this is the music. It fits in perfectly with the music from TR1 and, more importantly, with the mood. Listen to the background music in Croft Manor and even as a new player, you're subtly being given the hint that this game takes place in a world where there is still magic and there are more than just artifacts to be found in those ruins; there's danger and horrifying things, and while Lara may be safe now, in her home, you still have that sense of vague unease. That's what the first three Tomb Raiders did so well. You always have this sense like something is sneaking up behind you, even when you know for a fact that you're safe, that nothing is coming.

^^^ also very agree with you on the MUSIC! It is what makes the game a big part of what it really is! ;) I just can't explain how great and perfect the music fits every background scene.

Bampire
11th Jun 2007, 05:12
I chose Very good, because it's not the best, because TR1 was the best out of all, even though TRA is a re-make, but still. It'll not beat Tomb raider 1.

shurik
11th Jun 2007, 14:47
I don't understand why would someone not be satisfied at all, or dislike this game? :confused:

Jorge22
11th Jun 2007, 18:21
I'm not even playing it ever. TR1 was ok but not excellent. TR2 and 3 were fantastic. TR4 was very good. TR5 was much better than everybody said. AoD was... well, AoD was not badly thought of but they did a horrid job with the commands. Then, they lost it to CD... I played Legend's demo and found it very uninteresting. I also thought that, contrarily to what I exepected, the commands weren't back on the right track and, yes, TRs commands was one of their biggest pluses. I also thought, from what I saw, that they'd made a game for kids and forgot all the die hard Tomb Raiders out there. I don't expect to find anything special in Anniversary, especially when I've seen more complaints about the commands. What the hell is a new gen engine for if they can't match the great commands TR always had up to 5? Thank God there are thousands of custom levels out there! Thank God their creators make them with love and taste, as you people say CD make this thing I'm not going to play. I've played hundreds and hundreds of TR games and I don't intend on spending my hard earned money in a lesser product for adolescents. Thank God that so many custom games are true master pieces which I'm absolutely sure CD will never be able to match. As they'll never be able to match TR 2 to 4. Simply because they can't make a decent engine at the same time that they con the buyers with oh-wow-landscapes that really mean nothing. Simply because they just don't understand what TR was all about. Ruins, ruins, ruins............... Isn't that a bit tiring? Or commercial? Because they heard people wanted ruins... Heck! Thank God for custom levels! And thank Core for the great job they did before AoD and before TR died! And now, don't shoot me. I'm only a messenger!

GeorgeMaciver
11th Jun 2007, 18:33
Jorge, I make custom levels, something you've never done, and I'll quite happily tell everyone here that Anniversary is far, far beyond anything the level editor is capable of and Anniversary is one fabulous game. You've not even tried the game so what makes you think you're an authority on the subject huh? :rasp:

est1856
11th Jun 2007, 18:39
I'm not even playing it ever. TR1 was ok but not excellent. TR2 and 3 were fantastic. TR4 was very good. TR5 was much better than everybody said. AoD was... well, AoD was not badly thought of but they did a horrid job with the commands. Then, they lost it to CD... I played Legend's demo and found it very uninteresting. I also thought that, contrarily to what I exepected, the commands weren't back on the right track and, yes, TRs commands was one of their biggest pluses. I also thought, from what I saw, that they'd made a game for kids and forgot all the die hard Tomb Raiders out there. I don't expect to find anything special in Anniversary, especially when I've seen more complaints about the commands. What the hell is a new gen engine for if they can't match the great commands TR always had up to 5? Thank God there are thousands of custom levels out there! Thank God their creators make them with love and taste, as you people say CD make this thing I'm not going to play. I've played hundreds and hundreds of TR games and I don't intend on spending my hard earned money in a lesser product for adolescents. Thank God that so many custom games are true master pieces which I'm absolutely sure CD will never be able to match. As they'll never be able to match TR 2 to 4. Simply because they can't make a decent engine at the same time that they con the buyers with oh-wow-landscapes that really mean nothing. Simply because they just don't understand what TR was all about. Ruins, ruins, ruins............... Isn't that a bit tiring? Or commercial? Because they heard people wanted ruins... Heck! Thank God for custom levels! And thank Core for the great job they did before AoD and before TR died! And now, don't shoot me. I'm only a messenger!

You are entitled to your opinion, never let anyone take that away, but having an open mind costs nothing, no, not even your time, because believe me TR Anniversary is worth spending time on. :)

BTW, what are custom levels?

Jorge22
11th Jun 2007, 18:40
I am a Tomb Raider authority and I know some things even when I don't see them. :rasp:

GeorgeMaciver
11th Jun 2007, 18:42
:lol: Go and read this thread, then go and buy not just the greatest Raid you've ever experienced, but probably one of the best video games ever made :thumbsup: :D

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=69200

And if that doesn't whet your appetite, try these screenshots from The Lost Valley!

http://www.skribblerz.com/tr/anniversary/tralostvalley.htm

est1856
11th Jun 2007, 18:45
I am a Tomb Raider authority :

:lol: sorry but that sounded so funny, perhaps it's the way you said it :lol:

Sorry Jorge22. :)

Jorge22
11th Jun 2007, 18:52
Anyway....................... est: get a level editor from Core (or buy TR5, it should come with it) and go here: www.trle.net. Then you'll get all the Tomb Raider you want and much, much more. Careful when you choose your games though... Some are amateurish. Some are way too hard (I know that cause I've been playing one of those and even with all my experience I find it damn tiring). Some are cheer master pieces.

est1856
11th Jun 2007, 19:48
Sounds interesting Jorge22, might just look into that. :)

Jorge22
11th Jun 2007, 19:53
:lol: Go and read this thread, then go and buy not just the greatest Raid you've ever experienced, but probably one of the best video games ever made :thumbsup: :D

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=69200

And if that doesn't whet your appetite, try these screenshots from The Lost Valley!

http://www.skribblerz.com/tr/anniversary/tralostvalley.htm

Ok, I'll admit the pics look good but I'm still not buying it. And the fact that it looks good doesn't say anything about the commands, for example. Plus, I'm not that much of a tombs and ruins fan. My next buy will be the latest Broken Sword which I haven't bought yet.

Jorge22
11th Jun 2007, 19:55
Sounds interesting Jorge22, might just look into that. :)

You do that. You won't regret it. :)

munchkin
11th Jun 2007, 19:56

Agree 100% i adore this game. I loved TRL and they have surpassed TRL by miles. It is frankly brilliant, well worth buying playing and adoreing.

And the TRex battle is much, much more exciting and scary than before, no hiding on ledge this time around :)

fab.

god knows what CD can improve for TR8 but knowing CD they will improve things we can't even think of. :)

beccaxx

sonia
11th Jun 2007, 20:22
:o Tomb Raider Anniversary Excellent i love her no mater they do i steel lovet
and i engoied and i Alowes search for her

Mangar The Dark
11th Jun 2007, 20:37
Ok, I'll admit the pics look good but I'm still not buying it.

Sadly, in your case, you're probably better off not buying it, I agree. You clearly have a very closed mind about the game, and if you did buy it, you would probably just be looking for faults in it, and would be determined not to enjoy it no matter how good it is. So yes, I agree with your decision not to buy it... you would not enjoy it. It's a shame though, because CD really did do a phenomenal job with it.

est1856
11th Jun 2007, 20:40
Sadly, in your case, you're probably better off not buying it, I agree. You clearly have a very closed mind about the game, and if you did buy it, you would probably just be looking for faults in it, and would be determined not to enjoy it no matter how good it is. So yes, I agree with your decision not to buy it... you would not enjoy it. It's a shame though, because CD really did do a phenomenal job with it.

LOL, it was really going well there till the last line :D You'd never make a psychologist. :lol:

Jorge22
11th Jun 2007, 20:49
Mangar, Mangar, Mangar... I'm not that close minded, you know. First of all, TR 1 never thrilled me that much, whereas TR 2 and 3, mostly 3, did. Secondly, the game seems especially made for consoles. I like PCs in my own right. Thirdly, I played Legend's demo and I found it uninspired, I didn't like the commands and the light signs when Lara fired seemed pointless. I suppose that this game must be more of the same even though it may look much better and even though it may get its inspiration from probably the most famous, albeit not for me, TR game. So, does that make me close minded? Or should we all applaud beecause it looks good? Many games look good and they're probably much better overall, namely Max Payne, Alice (and it does have bad commands for the PC), Mafia, Broken Sword (after it went 3D) and, dare I say it?, several custom games I'm not sure you've played. I love Tomb Raider. I just love a different Tomb Raider that also exists. Does that make me close minded? Should I just jump on the bandwagon just like that?

Natlagirl
11th Jun 2007, 21:01
:scratch: Why would someone play a game called erm "Tomb Raider" who isnt into tombs and ruins ?

:whistle:

munchkin
11th Jun 2007, 21:24
Hi Jorge, i also loved TR2 (still do) and i definatly prefer TR2 to the original TR (TR2 is imho an example of a perfect or as near as possible vid game, along with broken sword and onimusha 3.

I adore TRA it is everything TR1 wished it could be but didn't quite manage....

The controls for PC are not great and it is worth using a gamepad.... but look why not download the demo (its free) and see what you think....

honestly it is much, much better in the way you mean than TR1..... (not better than TR2 though, no game is that good save Onimusha 3)

beccaxx

Paul-uk
11th Jun 2007, 21:25
this remake is by far EVEN better than the first one.

Jorge22
12th Jun 2007, 02:35
:scratch: Why would someone play a game called erm "Tomb Raider" who isnt into tombs and ruins ?

:whistle:

Because a name isn't everything and because Tomb Raider has evolved a lot from its initial idea. I've seen this question before and all I can think is you don't really know Tomb Raider.

Jorge22
12th Jun 2007, 02:37
Hi Jorge, i also loved TR2 (still do) and i definatly prefer TR2 to the original TR (TR2 is imho an example of a perfect or as near as possible vid game, along with broken sword and onimusha 3.

I adore TRA it is everything TR1 wished it could be but didn't quite manage....

The controls for PC are not great and it is worth using a gamepad.... but look why not download the demo (its free) and see what you think....

honestly it is much, much better in the way you mean than TR1..... (not better than TR2 though, no game is that good save Onimusha 3)

beccaxx

You seem to understand my point. Well, I might just do that, download the demo, who knows?

Mangar The Dark
12th Jun 2007, 13:33
LOL, it was really going well there till the last line :D You'd never make a psychologist. :lol:

I wasn't trying to be a psychologist. I really just think Jorge might be shortchanging himself by not wanting to give TRA a fair chance. But on the other hand, I do kind of agree with his decision not to buy it since it seems like he would not approach it with the right attitude, and that would adversely affect his enjoyment of it.

Then again, who knows? I approached AOD expecting the worst, especially after reading the countless complaints about it here. Then I was pleasantly surprised and I still cannot figure out why people dislike the game so much. So sometimes it DOES help to approach a game with a negative attitude. Maybe Jorge will experience something similar, and will be pleasantly surprised if he does get around to playing TRA. Anything's possible.

NaughtyGirl
12th Jun 2007, 13:50
people didn't like AOD because it had sheer massive amounts of bugs
plus what was up with that "I feel stronger now" crap? :lol:

It would have been a very lovely game if not for all the bugs and Lara sounding like Paris Hilton.

KEKEKE
12th Jun 2007, 13:53
TR:A is excellent. 10 out of 10. No doubt :)

Mangar The Dark
12th Jun 2007, 14:10
people didn't like AOD because it had sheer massive amounts of bugs
plus what was up with that "I feel stronger now" crap? :lol:

It would have been a very lovely game if not for all the bugs and Lara sounding like Paris Hilton.

I agree that the "I feel stronger" thing was a bit silly, but really, in terms of gameplay it was just a variation of finding a key to get to a new place. Except, instead of finding a key, you needed to find the right block to pull (or whatever.)
As for the bugs, I really lucked out. I only experienced two bugs in the game-- a messed up texture in the cafe, and an invisible pit in the streets of Paris. Other than that, the game worked just fine.

munchkin
12th Jun 2007, 14:25
You seem to understand my point. Well, I might just do that, download the demo, who knows?

sort of for sure.... although nothing short of being very infirm can keep me away from a TR game ..... even AOD and i disliked many things about AOD...

hope you like TRA (i can't, persoanly understand how anyone can not like it....... )

beccaxx

gopher666
12th Jun 2007, 14:34
AOD quite soon after Lara was found in Egypt. I know from experience that severe situations like that where hunger, broken bones, thirst etc and even surgery can take years to fully recover from. That is why she was weak in the beginning and needed to get stronger. It was never gonna happen in games after that but it was just a one off to add to the puzzles/game.

Jorge, I mean no offence by this but since you have no intention on playing the game - Why are you here?

Jorge22
12th Jun 2007, 14:58
No offense taken. I'm here because I'm interested in TR related stuff. :)

Natlagirl
12th Jun 2007, 16:57
Because a name isn't everything and because Tomb Raider has evolved a lot from its initial idea. I've seen this question before and all I can think is you don't really know Tomb Raider.

Excuse me but I do know Tomb Raider, I noticed the TR's you like have little to do with tombs as 2 & 3 weren't about "ancient" sites but our more recent past. I also thought that the TR's you prefer were more about "shoot em ups" than puzzle solving. The puzzle solving is the part of TR that I love the most and I was perhaps wrong to assume that others thought the same. Legend and Anniversary is a welcome return to its roots IMO.:rasp:

Gamer4Lyfe
12th Jun 2007, 17:22
I gave it a 10 - Excellent....And I don't even own the game yet!!! :eek:

Here's the history...

Me & Lara go way back on the Sega Saturn. I was simply hooked & in awe on this amazing game. Absolutely loved Legend as well on the Xbox 360! Played the PC demo of TRA & was simply blown away. I know for sure, without evening owning the game, that CD did an awesome job!

Now, why I haven't bought this game yet? Believe me, it's hard, but I'm waiting for the simply uber awesome Xbox 360 version baby! :lmao: :lmao:

Thank you Eidos & Crystal Dynamics! You have my support with, Brand New Only, Tomb Raider Games!

TouchOfPink
12th Jun 2007, 17:41
I loved the game. Simple as that.

As far as Tomb Raider games go, this one ( by far !!! ) has the BEST sound effects, best graphics and playing this game I really felt as if I knew Lara. Her personality has been expressed alot more after Legend, so us, the players, can be playing more than just a polygoned based character.

Myself, I hated Tomb Raider I with a vengeance!!! :mad2: And when I saw this game come out, I had to get it.:D I'm a Tomb Raider fan through and through and I just had to know what it was like... And personally, I think it's awesome! I might actually go back and give Tomb Raider I another chance! ;)

Tomraider
13th Jun 2007, 00:59
i voted as very good because it was awsome..but the storyline was a bit off then the original...and a remake should be the same exact storyline only better....there was alot of ledges(which took that climbing atmosphere away) but it wasnt bad. And the characters were different(meaning attitudes,and features. But other then that , i thought the game is great!

shurik
13th Jun 2007, 22:26
Wow, did you guys notice so far how much better Anniversary is doing compare to TR Legend? I mean Legend was a great game and lots of people liked it, but by looking at TR:A poll there aren't that many people who are dissapointed/or disliking the game. :)

Sinorice
14th Jun 2007, 00:04

How could you have played hundreds of TR games? Are you just dumb or are you from the future. Dumb posts like these start fights. If your not gonna play the game ever, why did you make a forum account and why post on this thread.

Jorge22
14th Jun 2007, 01:08
Ignorance speaks very loudly and it's rude too. I've played hundreds of TR custom games. If you're a rookie and have no idea what I'm saying, I suggest that you should say nothing. Cheers.

Jorge22
14th Jun 2007, 01:13
Just one more thing: my account (as you can see on the left) goes back to 2002 and even before that, before the site was changed. I certainly didn't open an account so I could post on this thread. And whatever my opinion may be, it is my opinion in my own right, this is not the "forum for people who worship TRA and can't stand a different viewpoint". It is for everyone. Are you 6 years old or something?

Paulraider
14th Jun 2007, 02:08
anniverary worse than tr1?. well their not the same game for start. Look at the intro and a lot more detail. There is a lot more to anniversary.
They took the tr1 as inspiration, they didn't remake it and it's called anniversary because its ten years since the first one, otherwise they would have called it just simple tomb raider, or tomb raider - back in time or something,. so its not tr1

I a gree on crystal dynamics, outstanding work and it looks superb on PS3 as well ,which shocked me. They know what they are doing, just wish they had done angel of darkness, cos everyone was moaning about that.

tomb raider is a great fanchise, i'm glad another studio decided it was worth the business risk and it has a lot of history now

GeorgeMaciver
14th Jun 2007, 07:46
Sinorice, ignore Jorge, he's not had sex for a while and is rather temperatmental. He is, of course, referring to fan made custom TR levels built with the Level Editor, of which there are hundreds.

Jorge, why come here just to start trouble? Why not play the game and then come back and have an intelligent conversation about it? People who rant on about things they know nothing about, as you so rightly say, are ignorant and rude :)

bendinthewind
14th Jun 2007, 08:36
this could have been a good oportunity to iron out the bug of the next gen content for the pc version that legend experienced - BTW for legend make sure the game has next gen turned on then exit the game go startbutton-run-regedit-HKEY_CURRENT_USER-Software-Crystal Dynamics-Tomb Raider Legends-Graphics and then modify (by right clicking on) Useshader 2 mark as "1" for on and modify Useshader 3 to "0" for off - opens up most of the next gen effects and still runs smooth.

I was hoping to apply this trick to Anniversary but alas it has no next gen content for the pc version at all ????!!!!! The screen just turns white or black when attempting this - I am telling you if the xbox360 version has it i will be so Piiissssed as my computer outspecs the xbox360

Other then that yeah it looks like its going to be ace to play :) which lets face it is why we play games - but eye candy is good :)

I will post some comparison images for legends soon once i get my ftp up and running - changed providers and need to get it figured :s

http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x305/bendinthewind/?action=view&current=TombLegendExample_02_NGenOff.jpg

http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x305/bendinthewind/?action=view&current=TombLegendExample_02_NGenOn_shader3.jpg

Jorge22
14th Jun 2007, 10:20
Sinorice, ignore Jorge, he's not had sex for a while and is rather temperatmental. He is, of course, referring to fan made custom TR levels built with the Level Editor, of which there are hundreds.

Jorge, why come here just to start trouble? Why not play the game and then come back and have an intelligent conversation about it? People who rant on about things they know nothing about, as you so rightly say, are ignorant and rude :)

Thousands. Anyway, I'm less temperamental than you, George, and , yes, I admit to having had sex regularly. :D

I didn't come here to start trouble. Well, not exactly. Just to make a point and, ok, be a little provocative. But that's quite fair. The thing is I don't think TR after Core is still TR. It is TR based but not TR and I'm not that impressed by fancy graphics if there's something else that's lacking IMHO. I don't think I'm the only one who thinks that way but, of course, I understand that somebody who started playing TR now may think otherwise and that's ok.

Capkeez
14th Jun 2007, 10:38
i think a level editor in tr8 would be much appreciated.

GeorgeMaciver
14th Jun 2007, 11:00
Jorge, take it from me, Anniversary is Tomb Raider mate :) . Yeah, I came in here and complained when AOD came out, and rightly so, but at least I'd bought the game and played it! :D

CrisGer
14th Jun 2007, 19:17
I think TR Aniv is the best of the series so far, having played most of them, and studied the series, the game engine is much improved, graphics, locations and settings beautifully rendered and textured and works of art. I am enjoying it very much on my first play through and look. :) Great work team!:)

bedazzled
14th Jun 2007, 21:15
It's crap !!!
I reached Palace Midas and uninstalled the game due to sheer frustration with the crappy controls & camera.

Paulraider
14th Jun 2007, 22:34
thats what you get for buying a Pc verson, too much fiddling about, like someone said on another thread you have to buy another controler for about £18, whats the point

now consoles have caught up with PC's everyone goes for consoles. the only big upside the Pc games is online gaming cos its a rip off if you do it with a console

NizCroft
15th Jun 2007, 00:17
Tomb Raider feels alive and sparkling again in CD's hands, I think. Legend was the first Tomb Raider game to have intuitive and fluent gameplay. Anniversary combines that with the original feeling of the series, and is in many senses perfect. The difficulty could have used a bit more adjustment in some places, but aside from that it's one of the most playable games right off the shelf I've seen in a long time. Most games require patches before they can even run properly.

GeorgeMaciver
15th Jun 2007, 08:50
Never mind Bedazzled, he throws tantrums like this playing Space Invaders :rolleyes: :D Uninstalling games and saying they're crap is just his way of letting us know he isn't much good at PC games :D

shurik
15th Jun 2007, 20:54
Alright who didn't get the chance to vote yet? bump to the top :D

GeorgeMaciver
15th Jun 2007, 20:55
I think the vote says it all :D

shurik
15th Jun 2007, 21:03
I think the vote says it all :D

haha yeah I agree. Anniversary got a real good rating according to the poll. Seems like more people are happier with an Anniversary than with the Legend so far, and I can really see why. :) Legend is still great though, but not as good as this. I'm feeling the poll will rise even higher with great ratings!!! http://forums.maxima.org/images/smilies/chuckle.gif

http://forums.maxima.org/images/smilies/attention.gif so far 76.16% pretty much said they really liked Anniversary, and 60.19% said the same thing about Lenend. That's really good for an Anniversary cause the poll is not even half way through :D

Dark Lara
15th Jun 2007, 22:09
My veiw is as follows *ahem*

I was quite excited by this game, I couldn't wait for its release and when I got it I placed in into the PS2.
I was expecting to go straight into the first part of the game but obviously I had to navigate the outside to get in. Once in I loved the fact it was very much like orginal just a bit prettier, Lara moved as she did in Legend which made it go quicker (if I remember in the orginal it took a while to run to each bit) bit by bit I played the peru level cursed a bit if Idied...then, I fought the t-rex I was quite put out that you had to use the in game moves to beat the boss, although it is a challenge I found it took away the suspense of the rex attacking you. The orginal was jumpy just the screen moving as it appeared from the dark making you jump, it would have been good had it not been a boss and had been made as a shock tatic, one thing I miss a sudden bolder comming at you. You have a cut scene introducing a sudden move it spoilt it and altthough I found the controls a bit ropey it was too easy. Larson for example you had to shoot untill he just dropped I think it should have been that way for this one as that would have been very nostalgic.
Overall I think it lost its dark suspense, and I do like dark, it didn't make me jump or panic, the camera was possesed and the sudden dodge move got on my nerves. I think it should have been a choice thing, this is only my opion as I played the orginal and found it was so exciting and diffrent.
Lara will live on but I hope she does with that edgy suspense and being utterly alone, keep the graphics, keep the fluid moves, make more exploration and just keep that darn camera still!
Overall it gets an 8/10 it was good but I feel allot more should have been up to the players creativity.

Tans has spoken :)

Bioforge
16th Jun 2007, 05:06
I'd give it a 7 it's a good game but the analog controls on these games... Legend and anniversary are still too sensitive (twitchy) for me, jumping can be frustrating!! and I just hate the grapple!:mad2: My all time favorite is still TR2.

aussie500
16th Jun 2007, 07:11
l voted Very Good, l loved playing it, even the few frustrating bits that drove me nuts. l think every Tomb Raider game should have a little frustration. The graphics were great for a current gen game, music and especially the ambient sound effects were fantastic, interesting story that certainly got me hooked. The character development was good and the levels did remind me of the original. l thought the Keyboard mouse controls were better than Legend's either that or l am just getting used to the change.

l was slightly disappointed the Atlantis levels were not longer, and of course that the PC version did not have next gen graphics, hopefully the XBox360 version will come out on disc so l can finally enjoy this game as it should be seen. l also missed the Cistern level, there was more to it than just the main room, and some of those side rooms were quite challenging.

It is about time Eidos and Crystal Dynamics sorted out how they are going to rate the games as well. Initially we were told there would be a bit of blood included in the game, you make the blood on Lara's hands an important part of the story, and then remove the blood from all but the AOD outfit. This is after all rated 16+, teenagers are not going to have any serious trauma if they see a little bit of blood, or a few more realistic death animations when Lara dies.

shurik
17th Jun 2007, 22:05
I'd give it a 7 it's a good game but the analog controls on these games... Legend and anniversary are still too sensitive (twitchy) for me, jumping can be frustrating!! and I just hate the grapple!:mad2: My all time favorite is still TR2.

I kinda like the grapple, I actually love it! It makes the game much more challenging and much more interesting to raid. It is tricky sometimes if you're not sure of it's ability, it's a very precise tool.

Well l just can't explain how much I love this Anniversary game, I think it's the best and the most challenging TR that has come out. After a TR like this I really can't go back to PS1 Tomb Raiders. ;)

TRBeth
18th Jun 2007, 00:57
I haven't finished but I can say that I feel it started out excellent, and is ending "alright". The last 2 areas, Egypt and Atlantis, seem to be a booby trap of ledge/wall obstacles, and that part of it, just is not that fun for me. Having to repetitively perform difficult jumps over and over is monotanous and has detracted from the adventure and the exploration.

shurik
21st Jun 2007, 14:19
bump to the top, lets hear some more...

npomis
22nd Jun 2007, 11:30
Excelent!

Ricardo221
23rd Jun 2007, 04:54
TRA has the visuals to make any Xbox 360 and PS3 even slightly jealous. I am amazed that this game is running on a 7 year old system.

TRA was refreshing because everyone knew that TRLegend was "under new management" and so a lot of that freshness carried over to Anniversary. I loved all the new moves that were brought over from Legend.

However, I think the big dissapointment for most people is that everyone has different memories of their favorite game. For Crystal Dynamics to say "we've kept the most important aspects of the game intact" is the same as saying "Here is a list of the 25 all-time greatest horror movies ever made." With only 25 on the list, you know hundreds of people will shout out "what about... you forgot... where is...??"

So when people have fond memories of their favorite game, and expect to see these memories brought back to life, it can instill a feeling of being left out when you find that your favorite parts are not important enough to bring back to the game.

I will always go back to saying that TRA should not, under any circumstances, ever have been made shorter than the original. One less level and a lot less square mileage especially in levels like Atlantis and the Coliseum.

Anyhow... the point is, CD probably knew there was going to be backlash for deleting so much content from the original. They should have know there would be arguments and negative feedback.

One thing I noticed that is missing from TRA is the "claustrophobia" of TR1's extremely narrow passages, especially underwater when you can't see what is up ahead. TRA's water levels are so wide open. There is rarely a skinny little passage that Lara can barely fit it.

So... final word [for me]: if you want to play inventive and challenging levels with beautiful scenery and amazing visauls, then TRA is your game. If you want to be challenged in every logical way with a game that is very long, winding and complex in its exploration of puzzles with a lot more blocks, boulders, keys and switches... then TR1 is your game.

I am constantly amazed by the complexity of levels like The Cistern and Midas' Palace from TR1.

Good day!

::EDIT:: Oh, by the way I gave the game a "Good" rating.

disc
26th Jun 2007, 01:55
TRA is an excellent game but comparing it to TR1, I feel is a disappoinment.

TR1 has always been my favorite game and I was hoping for TRA the exact copy but with enchanced graphics and maybe a little extras added to it such as the grappling hook.

What I love about TR1 is the exploring, the hugh levels and the puzzles. In TRA, the levels aren't as big so there really isn't much exploring. Not to mention the game is too linear compare to the first. The first you can pretty much hang on and climb up to any flat surfaces you can reach, allowing you to have more freedom to exlpore and solve puzzles on your own. But in TRA, everything is set (similar to TRL) up so you know exactly where you can and can't go.

The puzzles in TRA also isn't as challenge as TR1. Pretty much every switch or key unlock something that's in the same room or just steps away, whereas in TR1, obtaining keys and hitting switches/levers can unlock places you have no idea where. You have to actually run around and look for what was unlocked.

Overall. I still love TRA but TR1 is still much better in terms of gameplay.

GeorgeMaciver
26th Jun 2007, 07:55
You know, the 3 folks who thought the game bad and were not satisfied compared to the 93 folks who thought the game good, very good or excellent, sure made a lot of noise in these forums voicing their discontent. Perhaps more of us excellent voters should make more noise about how much we loved the game :rasp: :thumbsup:

Lycantendencies
26th Jun 2007, 10:56
I went for very good.

I got the original in the first couple of weeks of release, and for some reason saw Lara as driven and intense, but very human, and saw the tombs themselves as much the star as the person who raided them.
With each new game that got less and less and the gameplay grew very stale to the point I stopped buying them.

Anniversary has brought all that back.

I feel like I'm playing someone who has a passion for raiding tombs, for unlocking their secrets, and I'm appreciating what I'm running around instead of just looking for the next thing to do.
The atmosphere is great, especially without two people twittering down my ear, and the fact it's just Lara gives it a genuine sense of her being in danger of being lost forever, oh, and the new moves improve atmosphere and gameplay.

It's not perfect; some levels feel like game levels with ledges and blocks being there soley to use instead of feeling like they're just there and Lara's adapting them for use, I miss a few bits from 1, there's a little less atmosphere in places, and the camera and PS2 controls both need improving.
But mostly, it's exactly what a sequel to 1 or Legend should be.

shurik
28th Jun 2007, 21:42
Ok, why not make this thread a sticky like in Legend?

Creativeflea
29th Jun 2007, 17:48
It has to be said - this is the best Tomb Raider on PS2 so far! Whether that's because the original game was a great story and you couldn't go wrong by re-making it or because Eidos have done a good job this time round is debatable.
The levels aren't as big as the original, but they are very gorgeous to behold. She moves well, the puzzles are good but not as difficult, the music is fab - loved the original tunes vamped up, and I definately want another game in this format.
It would be marvelous to have one the size of Revelations with more difficult puzzles - roll on the PS3 game - there will be no excuses when Eidos get that far! I look forward to playing a Tomb Raider game I haven't played before that looks and feels like this one.
Well done Eidos for listening to the original fans. X:

shurik
23rd Jul 2007, 16:13
bump to the top for more votes.
...seems like not a lot of people have voted compare to Legend, where is everybody?

BLOWHARD
24th Jul 2007, 02:02
I'd say it's just plain good. It's not great, but it's been fun, even with all the overly hard moves and nasty repetition of those hard moves.
I'm on the last level now and it's been good enough overall to keep me playing:D

Paddy
25th Jul 2007, 03:23
Excellent game.
I have played number 1 before and only disliked it and the other ps1 makes of the game because it didnt accommodate analog controls.