PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to CD and a little kick in the butt

Rudger
8th Jun 2007, 22:24
Well, 1996 I was 21 and played TR1 two or three times, so yes, it wasn't easy for me to recognize all the old locations and was happy about the "TR1vsTRA"-Screenshots the game itself provides. I played every TR game on PC till today and besides all that, english isn't my native language, so forgive me if my grammer or spelling isn't 100% correct. ,-)

First of all I must say that I really think the graphics and levels are pieces of great art. Its so incredible detailed I could imagine the level designers looking at their work again and again (over years) and adding a little detail here and there every time. Textures are crisp and extremly well done, so the overall lighting/illumination. In my opinion there are only very few games that show such impressive visuals. I had to grin while I was thinking of (missing) normal maps - a lot of stuff doesnt need those maps because they were already true 3D. And be honest: a lot of games doesn't nearly look as good as TRA WITH all the newest DX9 technology.
Often I was just looking around and felt I was staying in some kind of 3D canvas, especially the play with the light is very well done. Legend already showed some very good visuals but TRA has just blown me away. I just love it if I can feel the love and the passion of the designers/creators, CD seem to really put their hearts in this. Kudos for this, CD.

Because I can't fully remember the original level design Ive missed nothing special I must say. I had just a little feeling that something was missing in two or three cases, for example when Lara reaches the big dino area. It took longer to reach it in TR1 I believe, there was some distinctive wow-I-found-the-way-out-of-the-caves-effect in the original level. But perhaps my memories are wrong.

Lara Modell.
Well done, she looks like a younger version of herself compared to TRL. Actually Ive never understood all the talk about her sex appeal, her breasts and her attraction to men. I think it took a lot of imagination of some journalists (at the beginning) to make the old low poly Lara look like a woman of men's dreams. 1996 I was way more impressed from the game itself, the mystery and the locations than from a bunch of very edgy polygons.
Well, this changed a bit in 2007. Lara looks indeed very sexy now, the first hours I had little trouble to fully focus on getting further over the obstacles to the next level. ;o)
BTW: Did I say already that I just love the clear british accent of her voice? (Ive allways played TR with its original voice overs and I'm very thankful that I'm able to choose language)

Control.
I hadn't much problems controlling Lara except jumping off the wall while running on it. A few times she didn't grap the ledge or got stuck in some strange pose when I tried to let her fall over the edge. Since I'm a bit lazy and a little coward I turned auto grap NOT off - what I bewail now. One of the thrills in the original game was that Lara did NOT grap automatically. I remember that I lost gallons of water while doing crazy jumps over an dark abyss of death in TR1, the finger was pressing hard on the ctrl-key all the time and I was gasping for air.
I'll try this later in TRA again for sure.

Gameplay.
My only complains here are the great pyramid and two or three similiar situations where you try to get the (damn) artifact. Artifacts can be left behind if you just don't have the nerves to jump like a crazy moron over dozens of obstacles again, again and again to reach the place of the artifact just in time. But in the great pyramid there's no way to avoid it if you want to finish the game and this was definitely a moment I thought this is pretty frustrating and bad made game play. Running and jumping off the wall in the right direction is several times an annoying problem in this game and it becomes really, really frustrating in the pyramid. PLUS that you have to kill every time again and again these two -censored- -censored- -censored- ugly -censored- creatures of -censored- when you didn't make it.
The game is quite fair the most time (for my taste) but Im asking myself here if you (CD) just wanted to create some kind of the most terrible parcours of death a Jump'n'Run game has ever seen, hehe.

Rest.
The end of TR1 disappointed me a bit because of Atlantis beeing such a little part in the whole game. I mean - you found Atlantis!! One of the biggest mysterious legends ever told. And what is it? Some obstacles, some creatures, a fat guy without legs and a enraged Natla. Although it was quite cool that Natla herself was an ancient god which was a surprise 1996 but ... sheesh!
Same in TRA, compared with greece and egypt its far from beeing impressive as it should be. BTW those two other "gods" - where are they? Obviously at least one was awoken ... and Natla told Lara something about that this place is not the only one ... mmmh.

Another point: TRL told you a lot more while you where searching for the ancient secrets. The legend of King Arthur, all the clues and background info from Laras friends and and her opponents. That was great.
And this was something Ive missed before in TR1 as in TRA now, 1996 not so much like today though. For example: Midas? Not a tiny little word about him, I guess a lot of people just dont know (yet) why his hand(s) change anything to gold. Ive learned it at school but nevertheless it would have been great to listen to a little monologue from Lara from time to time (i.E. when she reads the foreign signs on the walls), last but not least to support the mysterious ambiance.
But speaking just for myself I simply can't get enought of the Indiana Jones style of archeology. ;o)

TRA is out now it is as it is. It was great to play, worth any penny. Very well done. Since Im almost 32 years old now Im feeling a bit strange still playing such games, but Lara has discovered a little place in my heart ten years ago. I guess Ill never be able to resist her charme, hehe.

regards

gopher666
8th Jun 2007, 23:08
example: Midas? Not a tiny little word about him, I guess a lot of people just dont know (yet) why his hand(s) change anything to gold. Ive learned it at school but nevertheless it would have been great to listen to a little monologue from Lara from time to time

I'm intrigued, could you perhaps tell me why his hands turn stuff to gold?

Notts Raider
8th Jun 2007, 23:31
I can hear a story about to follow :rolleyes:

gopher666
8th Jun 2007, 23:50
Thats what Im wanting. A nice story around a camp fire with toasted marshmallows (or beer)

rabid metro
9th Jun 2007, 16:53
be careful what you wish for ... :cool:

They say that a statue can make you remember someone fondly.
They say that only God can make a tree.

Leak
9th Jun 2007, 17:37
Wikipedia to the rescue... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Midas#Myth) :D

Atheist
9th Jun 2007, 18:10
If I remember correctly...

Midas was a greedy king, who wished for everything he touched to turn to gold. He got his wish, and his plates and cups and cutley and statues and chairs ect. all turned to gold when he touched them. But everything turned to gold, so he could'nt eat or drink because when he picked the food up it turned to gold. His son returned from a hunting trip, and ran to his father. And he turned to gold, or something. And they all lived not so happily ever after.

gopher666
9th Jun 2007, 18:48
If everything he touched turned to gold he should of learned to use a knife and fork

rabid metro
10th Jun 2007, 18:02
If everything he touched turned to gold he should of learned to use a knife and fork

the food still touched him and turned to gold ...
just like wearing (golden) gloves would have prevented him from touching loved ones but wouldn't have prevented them from touching him ...

in short, having his wish granted wasn't so much a blessing as it was a curse ...

They say that you should look before you leap, unless you don't care where you land.
They say that you should beware of leaping fools.