PDA

View Full Version : T-Rex boss, worst boss and control scheme ever!

markbowman
8th Jun 2007, 22:00
The Trex boss is dumbest thing I've every played in 20 years of gaming. It's almost impossible to line him up because you have to keep firing and running while the entire time your getting knocked on your a**. If you do manage to get him "enraged" then the dodging doesn't even seem to work. How very very lame that I have to put down the game and stop playing because of one sucky badly designed level. What a waste of my money. I hope I can return the game as defective.

Treeble
8th Jun 2007, 22:02
Yeah, good luck finding a perfect game for you if you can't manage to get past level 3.

L3ggy
8th Jun 2007, 22:04
What do you mean with one sucky level, that level is like the easiest.

CommanderZx2
8th Jun 2007, 22:06
Get some distance between you and it... keep firing as you do this and then it when it starts running at you/maxed adrenalin shoot slower. Then as soon as the symbol appears, press roll plus left or right. Then just wait for the circles to line up and turn red. It's simple.

gopher666
8th Jun 2007, 22:06
Here, here Treeble. Like they say, you can't teach an old dog new tricks or an old gamer how to learn how to stay away from the pointy end of a Tyranasaurus Rex.

Honestly, his first post and all he can do with the momentous occasion of joining this grand forum is complain

Phlip
8th Jun 2007, 22:08
Well what I did was run shooting him WHILE turning the camera.

I thought that T-rex fight was quite fun.

What do you mean with one sucky level, that level is like the easiest.
Actually level 1 is. :p

L3ggy
8th Jun 2007, 22:14
I said like

Treeble
8th Jun 2007, 22:15
Well gopher, I wouldn't mind explaining him how it works, but since he's sooo peeved at playing this game, maybe it's best he leaves it behind. At least this way, we won't listen more complains later on, when the game gets more difficult. ;)

Headshots4life
8th Jun 2007, 22:45
T-Rex was easy, I took an in game pic after I killed it (using FRAPS) and i'm using it as my wallpaper :D

Here's (http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/1107/tombraideranniversaryinfn2.jpg) the pic.

Rai
8th Jun 2007, 23:10
Firstly, can I just say: Can you people give this guy a break? He's stuck and frustrated as are a lot of people it seems who are posting such threads to complain. Once he's worked out what to do, he may change his mind about the game. It's true you shouldn't diss the game before you've even tried it properly but he's not the only one on these forums. He and others seem to have a low tolerance rate and seem to vent their frustration on the threads before trying more of the game. I'm worried now that not enough people like it and Eidos will think they wasted their time creating this beautiful remake. I wouldn't want them to rethink making anymore games if this is the reception TRA is getting. :(

Secondly: Rexy was hard! Well I thought so anyways. It took me ages to figure out how to pull off the adrenaline dodge properly. Let's just help this guy get over the hurdle and maybe when he finishes the battle he'll (like me) be so chuffed he'll give the game another chance.

Right, The Fight: You've worked out that you need to use the dodge. Shoot the big guy until his rage bar is full. Stop shooting but keep the guns out. The best way is to choose Advanced Toggle and press the L1 button (or pc equivalent) to draw guns. When the screen goes blurry and Rex charges press and hold the roll button and directions. When the grey circles go red, fire! You will have to do this 4-5 times maybe, but when he is finally done, you will need to complete the interactive cut-scene before he's down for good.

Then keep on playing. It is worth it, I promise.

L3ggy
8th Jun 2007, 23:14
Actually it's 4-6

Rai
8th Jun 2007, 23:17
Actually it's 4-6

You just had to be picky! :rasp:

munchkin
8th Jun 2007, 23:23
If your playing on PC try changing and using a gamepad, it will make controlling it easier.

Try taking a break from the game, and letting your frustration levels lower, then come back to it prepared, fresher and calmer.

and rember the old adage nothing worth doing is that easy .... imagine the sense of acheivment when you do kill the beast? ;)

**To Rai004, i wouldn't worry the dissing thread, the TRL dissing threads we had and still have far outnumber the praise threads, but one thing not many notice is after a while most of them are taken up by either noobs who are not really being honest and are just out for controversy, or the same old members who dislike change and will hate anything CD do simply because they are not Core design.

True fans may moan here and there but as a whole will love a good game, and as CD have taken TR in a fabulous new direction which is proving very popular with customers and critics alike ... :)

beccaxx

tidy_george
9th Jun 2007, 02:17
The Trex boss is dumbest thing I've every played in 20 years of gaming. It's almost impossible to line him up because you have to keep firing and running while the entire time your getting knocked on your a**. If you do manage to get him "enraged" then the dodging doesn't even seem to work. How very very lame that I have to put down the game and stop playing because of one sucky badly designed level. What a waste of my money. I hope I can return the game as defective.

Lol i found the t-rex fun :D was more of a challenge than TR1 where u stood under a bridge shooting it hiding lol.... wait till u get to the boss with 2 shields you will hate it haha that was even more challenging (Rage plus headshot FTW!)

Natla
9th Jun 2007, 06:12
I shot the T Rex!
Go Natla! Go Natla!
That'll teach it's scaley ass to roar at me!

redfox45
9th Jun 2007, 08:42
Yeah, good luck finding a perfect game for you if you can't manage to get past level 3.

Ouch:eek:

Inn_Hevonn_Klann
9th Jun 2007, 08:52
Nah! The T-Rex part was the worst part for me in TR1 due to the controls. Not very fluid.

But now that has gotta be my favorite one! Man she's so fluid controls, and my dodges! WOW! I'm bacaming a master. My only problem is when sometimes I miss, but OK.

I've passed yesterday the Centaurs. I died a few times till I understand I had to unlock the centaurs as targets so they couldn't hit me with their light thing:nut: . Now I've passed it and I'm on Obelisk of Khamoon.
The thing is killing the boss is incredibly esay:thumbsup: . You just need to calm down:cool: and react fast but not press buttons crazily and failing all the time!

Also your problem seems to be the controls. Actually it's your fault. You bought the PC version now you get to live with it. Don't you learn, the PC version controls are more difficult cuz you gotta have your hands in your keyboard and mouse at the same time. Like you don't have 3 and 4 hands, it's more difficult!

FallenxFromxLight
9th Jun 2007, 11:16
I beat the T-Rex on the first try before I got a gamepad, and had to use my mouse and keyboard. I don't get why people keep complaining about the controls in that scene and it's actually kind of funny because I had no issue.

Mangar The Dark
9th Jun 2007, 15:15
The t-rex was kind of tough. It took me two attempts to beat it. The first time, I lost because I used the TR1 approach of "shoot shoot shoot shoot...." Then I tried again, using a bit more strategy, and I succeeded with sustaining too much damage (I think I needed to use one or two small medpacs.)

est1856
9th Jun 2007, 17:01
I'm with markbowman on this, but I did finally get past it. I suppose it's just that some of us are so used to the control in the original game that we find it difficult.

It's a shame some of those who can do it with no problem, can't give advice like CommanderZx2 instead of being sarcastic. :rolleyes:

L3ggy
9th Jun 2007, 17:09
You just had to be picky! :rasp:

It's what i do :P

Rai
9th Jun 2007, 17:15
I'm with markbowman on this, but I did finally get past it. I suppose it's just that some of us are so used to the control in the original game that we find it difficult.

It's a shame some of those who can do it with no problem, can't give advice like CommanderZx2 instead of being sarcastic. :rolleyes:

:eek: I gave advice too! *pouts that esty didn't give her a mention* :D

L3ggy
9th Jun 2007, 17:41

I've given advice to different gamers on this forum BUT on the t-rex?!

Treeble
9th Jun 2007, 17:44
It's a shame some of those who can do it with no problem, can't give advice instead of being sarcastic. :rolleyes:

Maybe I missed the point, but as far as I can see he's not looking for advice, he's just dissing the game altogether. By now he's probably returned the game as 'defective' and is enjoying something else.

L3ggy
9th Jun 2007, 17:46
Probably.

The Real Tommy V
10th Jun 2007, 00:02
I got it on hard. I wasn't able to use the spike pillars because I could never get him lined up right. Beating him was just a matter of distance. Stay far away enough from him so that when he charges you have more than enough to to move out of his big dumb way.:D It took me like 4 tries and when I succeeded it was like a seven minute dogfight that darn near used up all my health packs but I beat the big b-word.:D

Grieyls
10th Jun 2007, 01:11
I find the trick to best him/her is to keep your distance then as he/she charges you run a little towards him/her then move to the side and impliment the adrenalin dodge. This way you're always a fair distance from him/her. ;)

And why was I indicating that the T-Rex was either a him or a her? Cause to be frank we don't know do we :nut:

L3ggy
10th Jun 2007, 01:44
True but Females are more aggressive in territory things.

est1856
10th Jun 2007, 07:01
Maybe I missed the point, but as far as I can see he's not looking for advice, he's just dissing the game altogether. By now he's probably returned the game as 'defective' and is enjoying something else.

I think a lot say that when they get frustrated with a game. The person obviously wants us to share in his frustration, but if you never felt frustrated about any part of the game, then I suppose it would be difficult for you to understand and would indeed miss the point. ;)

Treeble
10th Jun 2007, 12:37
you never felt frustrated about any part of the game, then I suppose it would be difficult for you to understand and would indeed miss the point.

That's definitely the case. :)

Lara Croft Wanna Be
10th Jun 2007, 17:51
Defective!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im disgusted :(

This game is far from defective!

Headshots4life
10th Jun 2007, 18:59
I agree, I beat the T-Rex on medium on my first try (could be because I was using my wireless 360 controller :D ) this game is NOT defective ****

rabid metro
10th Jun 2007, 20:30
The Trex boss is dumbest thing I've every played in 20 years of gaming...

okay, i've read enough to know where this thread is going ...
@markbowman- in the process of returning your defective game could you also take back this simply hate intended thread (edit, delete, delete ... flush)

catbazza
10th Jun 2007, 21:09

Don't give up, i'm 75 years old & I did it first time. Don't know if I hit a bug but after a bit of dashing about I went under the spiky thingumibobs & T Rex was just stood over by the Temple so I started blasting the beast with my pistols & it just moved it's head up & down occaisionally, but after about 10 mins of rattling the fire button it was deaded.:) :eek:

TanaisRahn
10th Jun 2007, 21:16
I admit, I go to this level and was screaming - I couldnt do it BUT that was only because I couldnt do the adrenaline Dodge, as soon as I mastered that...

...Night night T-Rex :D

ITs a ***** at first but as soon as ya got it, your sorted

RAZMAT
10th Jun 2007, 21:18
i'm having difficulty also.i been fighting this rex for half a day now.i think i got the adrenaline dodge to work for a brief second maybe once.it's like the rage bar goes maximum and flashes and thats all i see.the screen don't blur or anything,he just charges at me and i press a direction and roll(in this case, it's left shift and A),and she just crouches down or rolls in a direction.the one time i got it to work briefly,i may have got a shot or two off but it did'nt seem like it did much damage anyway.

Werner Von Croy
10th Jun 2007, 21:25

Like the original TR try dodging? by rolling and jumping out it's way

RAZMAT
10th Jun 2007, 21:47
well,just after posting my last reply about 5 minutes ago , i went back in and figured it out and now rexy boy is dead.it was like once it flashes,you have to wait until he starts charging and then press one of the directions and roll/crouch right after.when you do the dodge ,you always end up in a great position behind him and can do it again.once you get it ,it's easy to do everytime.the trick is just to wait until after he growls and starts to charge you,then press a direction, then roll/crouch while shooting.

_Lam
10th Jun 2007, 22:13
WHAT !?
You give up like, each time you are not able ! Come on, it's level 3. What is so complicated, I beat it the first time, you need to LOCK your target and run back while shooting, I hope for you that this is, so far, not too complicated. Than, he do his rage attack, run back while he roar to keep you distance, when the screen get blured, you push (on PS2) the left analogue stick left or right AND THEN you push o... Not o and than the stick...

I find SO STUPID people who are like : I spend my money for a bad game... Because I can't do this thing so I blame the level design... Yeah of course... :rolleyes:

Treeble
10th Jun 2007, 22:19
No, no no _Lam! You got it all wrong!

It's not bad level design or lack of skills to control Lara: IT'S SIMPLY A DEFECTIVE GAME!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RAZMAT
10th Jun 2007, 23:48
i got it by waiting for him to charge before doing anything.i never see a blur screen.i wonder if you have to have full screen effects on to see it.

NightRain'06
11th Jun 2007, 03:50
The first several times I tried to defeat him by just shooting at him and that was pointless since it didn't drain much of his energy. Then after 15 times of trying to beat Dino, I realized the only way to do that was to use bullet time. Struggling to get the hang of it, I never gave up and eventually became accustomed to doing the move and, you know, he was down.

Yes, it was insanely frustrating but now that I'm past the level, it's actually fun thinking back. It was intense and had me on the edge of my seat trying to beat him ! :D I'm playing on PS2.

Leak
11th Jun 2007, 07:14
i wonder if you have to have full screen effects on to see it.
Well, what do you think the whole screen going blurry is? :whistle:

Rusty_DK
11th Jun 2007, 10:19
lol i have to agree....if you cant get passed this level then hand the game back...its only level three...

npomis
11th Jun 2007, 13:14
It's an easy boss. I did it in my second try. I didn't even sweat...
When enraged, wait until the screen goes blurry, then press left or right and THEN press roll. I had no problem with leading the rex into the spikes. When he was close to become enraged, I stood right in front of the spikes. Then I kept shooting until he charged towards me and performed the adrenalin dodge. I killed him with just three adrenalin shots. Each time he run into the spikes.

LovinLostValley
12th Jun 2007, 16:36
I got it on my 2nd try also... and that was because the first time i didnt bother with the adrenaline dodge lol

gsusfrk
13th Jun 2007, 14:38
Get some distance between you and it... keep firing as you do this and then it when it starts running at you/maxed adrenalin shoot slower. Then as soon as the symbol appears, press roll plus left or right. Then just wait for the circles to line up and turn red. It's simple.

i think hold is a better word...that works for me on the gamepad...but i dunno if it work for the keyboard

katT
29th Jun 2007, 02:25

here...go to then bottom of the page. it has a savegame file, which brings you to the next checkpoint.
http://www.tombraiders.net/stella/walks/TRAwalk/03lostvalley.html

CaninD
29th Jun 2007, 20:33
Rai004 - You made all the difference...holding in L1 makes it work!
Thanks
Ken

Lectrician
29th Jun 2007, 20:48
I play on easy because I didn't buy the game for the fighting which is the only place difficulty makes a difference as i understand it.

Part of the problem might be that this is the first beast I recall in the game where you NEED to use adrenaline dodge, so nobody needs to have it figured out until here.

It really makes a difference and helps you the rest of the game.

Keep trying and get the timing of adrenaline dodge figured out and you will love the rest of the game.

Annie12345
24th Jul 2007, 03:19
Okay, I tried and tried and was unable to ever do the Adrenaline Dodge. Two left hands perhaps? I can do other things, but just not that! Anyway, I was about to give up. (once again) and thought maybe I'd get my husband (who has a lot more coordination and guts and stick-to-it ness than I have) to do it for me, and then I found the MAGIC PLACE where a person can stand and shoot the TREX! There is a boulder between the two Logs with Spikes. I ran around a bit, then found the place and much to my surprise once I was on that boulder he didn't hurt me. I could shoot and shoot and shoot and finally he up and died. When he rages he MIGHT be able to get you, but if you just don't let him get past the boiling point you can shoot away at him until he dies. However... warning... the amount of shooting required is phenomenal and you are probably risking carpal tunnel and for sure excessive boredom, but it DOES work!

Annie on a PC

rabid metro
24th Jul 2007, 04:32
...There is a boulder between the two Logs with Spikes...

more evidence that the TR world was created by intelligent design ...

@Annie- i wanted to applaud you for your patience in finding this "safespot". i also want to encourage you to use patience in mastering the Adrenaline Dodge. initially, IMO, the biggest hurdle is avoiding the hysteria that sents in because there's a 7-ton meat-eating dinosaur that has, unfortunately, taken a liking to you ...

or maybe your problem is with the jumps and rolls needed to manuever around the T-Rex.

try this, just for kicks ... see how long you can survive without firing a single shot at the T-Rex (however, do keep your guns aimed at the T-Rex). you'll eventually die ... but the point is that you'll feel different when you realize that you can play with the beast for several minutes without taking damage! then add-in deliberate shooting and position yourself so that when Rexy gets mad you're not standing next to him. the next part requires that you are absolutely calm, that's why you practiced/played with Rexy before. when he gets mad (visually signalled by an aura) stop shooting and wait for his rush (audibly preceded by a roar and then visual blurring). with weapons aimed the whole time, calmly maintain avoidance and then initiate the roll/dodge (sideways is generally good but other directions work also). stay calm (no button mashing) and the game will reward your successful dodge with an opportunity to try a Head Shot. wait for it, waitttt for it, ... and then when the targetting circles merge, beep, fire a single shot. the HS will significantly stun Rexy and you can boost the damage if you get him to stumble into the thorny logs that you hid between.

its too bad that there aren't any real practice areas before this where you can perfect the AD/HS. still, having said that, you can use any bear that you meet before this as AD practice. don't forget to play with the bear (i.e. see how long you can dance around it without getting seriously hurt).

so Annie, get your gun ... OK ...

Towel
24th Jul 2007, 05:24
Well what I did was run shooting him WHILE turning the camera.

I thought that T-rex fight was quite fun.

Actually level 1 is. :p

LOL Phlip u dont have full version do u??? its lvl 3 lvl 1 on demo

:lol: :lol:

Resy
24th Jul 2007, 06:10
all I can say is you better learn/master the dodge because there is one boss battle that can only be won by using it.

boots
24th Jul 2007, 06:26
all I can say is you better learn/master the dodge because there is one boss battle that can only be won by using it.

Actually, I'm pretty sure every boss battle after the t-rex requires the dodge to be used. So, yes, it's probably a good idea to learn it, sorry! :D

d'oh, but congratulations on beating him anyway, Annie. :thumbsup: Did you use the pistols?

Demarest
24th Jul 2007, 15:01
Okay, I tried and tried and was unable to ever do the Adrenaline Dodge. Two left hands perhaps?

It's a matter of pressing AND HOLDING a direction first and then Crouch/Roll. With two buttons, it shouldn't take long to master. Using Advanced Toggle as your Combat Mode will make it easier. If when you press Crouch/Roll on Advanced Toggle, reticules do not appear, you've done it too soon. If it worked but you still get trampled, you've done it too late. Both the visuals and the audibles are meant to help you time it correctly. As a failsafe, you could always make your dodge direction back (down).

The buttons are very easy (especially on Advanced Toggle). The timing is the only challenging part. Using the guide above, you should know whether you're too early or too late. And as with everything else in this game, the calmer you are, the more likely she is to do what you want her to.

fung0
25th Jul 2007, 04:43
I'm afraid I'm in total agreement with the player who started this thread. The T-Rex battle totally spoils this game for me. Sure, I could spend the next ten hours acquiring the arbitrary skills required to execute the ridiculously complex sequence of moves described, but, y'know what? That's not the game I signed up for. I have a life, and don't need to spend a big chunk of it getting past a tediously difficult, totally boring obstacle in order to enjoy whatever minimal amount of actual clever puzzle-solving, ruin-exploring, action-adventure gameplay the developers have been bothered to create.

I play on a PC, and I've played a LOT of very tough games... but I do NOT enjoy the console-style time-wasting exercise of being forced to jump through split-second hoops for no particular pay-off. I've been circle-strafing for decades, and I waltzed through the original TR (even before I had the 3Dfx hardware to show it off properly), as well as through most of the sequels, without ever being subjected to such a moronically mindless level. I had no trouble with the wall-swings and pole-jumps of the Croft Manor section... these were interesting, and fair, challenges. The T-Rex doesn't follow from anything else in the game, and can't be beaten using anything you've learned up to that point, nor even by standard 3D-action techniques. Even if I do go back and beat it, it will give me zero satisfaction.

Worst of all, every time I re-try the level, the game freezes at an absolutely key moment to tell me, for the ten-thousandth time, what the rage bar is for. I often die right there. Thanks for the tip, developers. I guess, in your brilliance, there's no way you could have had the game remember I've already seen that message?

Several posts have said that the adrenaline dodge skills are vitally important later on. This discourages me from even wanting to bother with the T-Rex. It's becoming pretty obvious that this is simply not the intelligent, well-paced Tomb Raider game I've been waiting for. If I'd known I was picking up Dino-Battles XII for the PS2, instead of Tomb Raider for the PC, I could have saved myself the annoyance.

To those of you who want to feel superior about it, go right ahead. If you had the skills to beat the T-Rex in 5 minutes, you clearly enjoy a different type of game than I do. But just try to stretch what's left of your mind for a moment, and imagine the disappointment and, yes, rage, of players who naively stepped in expecting a modernized version of the original Tomb Raider. This isn't it, and it's NOT going to make them happy.

Paddy
25th Jul 2007, 14:01
I hated doing that t-rex boss until I worked out the best way is to get him to run into the spikes :p
Id been just trying to get him to hit the cliff walls which took only a margin of health off

chris and chan
25th Jul 2007, 14:14
I'm afraid I'm in total agreement with the player who started this thread. The T-Rex battle totally spoils this game for me. Sure, I could spend the next ten hours acquiring the arbitrary skills required to execute the ridiculously complex sequence of moves described, but, y'know what? That's not the game I signed up for. I have a life, and don't need to spend a big chunk of it getting past a tediously difficult, totally boring obstacle in order to enjoy whatever minimal amount of actual clever puzzle-solving, ruin-exploring, action-adventure gameplay the developers have been bothered to create.

I play on a PC, and I've played a LOT of very tough games... but I do NOT enjoy the console-style time-wasting exercise of being forced to jump through split-second hoops for no particular pay-off. I've been circle-strafing for decades, and I waltzed through the original TR (even before I had the 3Dfx hardware to show it off properly), as well as through most of the sequels, without ever being subjected to such a moronically mindless level. I had no trouble with the wall-swings and pole-jumps of the Croft Manor section... these were interesting, and fair, challenges. The T-Rex doesn't follow from anything else in the game, and can't be beaten using anything you've learned up to that point, nor even by standard 3D-action techniques. Even if I do go back and beat it, it will give me zero satisfaction.

Worst of all, every time I re-try the level, the game freezes at an absolutely key moment to tell me, for the ten-thousandth time, what the rage bar is for. I often die right there. Thanks for the tip, developers. I guess, in your brilliance, there's no way you could have had the game remember I've already seen that message?

Several posts have said that the adrenaline dodge skills are vitally important later on. This discourages me from even wanting to bother with the T-Rex. It's becoming pretty obvious that this is simply not the intelligent, well-paced Tomb Raider game I've been waiting for. If I'd known I was picking up Dino-Battles XII for the PS2, instead of Tomb Raider for the PC, I could have saved myself the annoyance.

To those of you who want to feel superior about it, go right ahead. If you had the skills to beat the T-Rex in 5 minutes, you clearly enjoy a different type of game than I do. But just try to stretch what's left of your mind for a moment, and imagine the disappointment and, yes, rage, of players who naively stepped in expecting a modernized version of the original Tomb Raider. This isn't it, and it's NOT going to make them happy.

My feeling exact, regarding this game. The only upside to buying the game is re-kindling my interest with the original, which I have now got to play perfectly with updated skins and an Xbox 360 controller, plus all original music score and sounds on our modern PC. It is more, much more enjoyable than the latest incarnation - so much so that I haven't touched TRA at all since installing the original - once you get over the age of 12, silly 'boss battles' and ever moving camera angles for critical jumps are no longer fun, just tedious in the extreme.

Demarest
25th Jul 2007, 14:52
Sure, I could spend the next ten hours acquiring the arbitrary skills required to execute the ridiculously complex sequence of moves describedOR you could NOT tell yourself that this molehill is Mt. Everest, realize that the pressing of two buttons in a particular order is NOT a "complex sequence of moves" and actually have a chance when you try.

The rest of this post seemed like hostility towards others for your own lack of ability or determination. We could sit here and call the developers of Super Mario Brothers stupid for not allowing us to backtrack in a level. Don't they know we'd want to go back? How stupid can they be? Well that's a feature of the game and knowing it means you can adjust your plan of attack accordingly. Not whine that the box never mentioned anything about not being able to go back.

Video games aren't meant to be push a button to get a food pellet. It's any number of tasks that require intellect, skill, or other merits in order to achieve progression or elements that will aid in progression. Been that way for the last 26 years or so that I've been playing games.

TheRidster
25th Jul 2007, 15:28
A lot of us found the learning curve for the Adrenaline dodge and the Wall Run to be a little steeper than it should. The problem for me was getting the timing right. Games should be challenging but not overly frustrating, game developers should strike a balence. Once I mastered these moves I did start to enjoy them.

Mangar The Dark
25th Jul 2007, 15:50
I play on a PC, and I've played a LOT of very tough games... but I do NOT enjoy the console-style time-wasting exercise of being forced to jump through split-second hoops for no particular pay-off.

I'm honestly surprised by your post. I freely admit to being very bad at games requiring complex moves. I even gave up on Prince Of Persia because I found the combat system infuriating. But I beat the T-Rex on my second attempt, and have not struggled with it since then.
I really do think you're having trouble because you're approaching it with the wrong attitude. The key to the adrenaline dodge, as many people have mentioned, is to just remain calm. If you're playing it in a pissed off mood, you're more likely to make mistakes. I assume you're playing on the hardest difficulty level, so why not just turn it down to the EASY mode? That's how I played it, and I experienced none of the frustration you're having. In EASY mode, you'll see exactly when you can do the adrenaline dodge, so it simply becomes a matter of pressing two buttons when you see a little icon appear on screen. Nothing complex.

As for saying there's "no particular pay-off," well, I have to disagree. The pay-off is getting to play the rest of a very good game. You won't need to use the adrenaline dodge except when fighting boss battles, and again, if you play on easy mode, it's never going to be too difficult. I beat the centaurs on my first attempt, and I beat the torso thing after dying maybe two times.

ElevenTR
25th Jul 2007, 16:16

I agree... :rolleyes:

LisaB1962
25th Jul 2007, 16:45
Well, I don't know if I'm a fence sitter because I can see both sides. The learning curve for the AD is too steep. There really should have been a way to train for it in the mansion.

As combat moves go in video games, it's really quite simple. You get far more time and cues than in most games. Pay attention and execute the button presses when cued. Not too bad really. A lot more simple than the Onimusha 2 weapons "secrets" that are 3 or four button presses, and no matter how hard I try, Jubei only does them one out of five tries. (Watch my ten year old do them everytime though. >.<) Spend some time watching DMC vids of jump canceling. Talk about too much free time to master complicated moves. :D Trust me--the AD is not a very complex thing.

However, I honestly believe the horrid camera makes this move far more frustrating than it should be. It compounds the frustration because you spend too much time swirling it around looking for something to shoot---yay! I found it---only to get pwned by an offscreen enemy. So you're trying to do it, you think you've got it set up to make a real try this time, then you get b****-slapped because you don't get a fair view of what's going on. Couple that with the fact that it's pretty much thrown at you in game and under pressure, well, for folks who were expecting a fun adventure game with a few enemies to shoot, it equals NOT FUN. :(

I agree with Mangar though, that the key is to remain calm. Once the enemy is enraged, wait for your cues. Blur=dodge. Red reticule=shoot. Yes, you will get pwned by something off-screen occasionally. Sorry. There's no cure for that with the crappy camera view. Your best defense is against that is distance---if it's an option.

Maybe if I hadn't had tougher fights in other video games I might have given up as well. I have to say though, that those were action games where hard combat was expected. Tomb Raider was never about combat, so I can understand why folks find the mandatory mastery of a particular combat technique frustrating.

Mangar The Dark
25th Jul 2007, 16:59
Yes, you will get pwned by something off-screen occasionally. Sorry. There's no cure for that with the crappy camera view.

Well, my only cure for that is to simply NOT use the adrenaline dodge during regular combat. It's not really needed, anyway, and it's annoying when facing multiple enemies, so why bother?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Legend 2 will bring back the bullet-time mode found in Legend. That was so much more useful, fun and satisfying than adrenaline dodge. Adrenaline dodge is fine against bosses, but that's about it. I can appreciate that the designers wanted to try something new, but if they take a look at the feedback they're getting here, I think they'll see that most people (even those of us who did not find it very complex) could live happily without seeing it again in future TR games (plus, it made the boss battles a bit predictable. You pretty KNEW that the key to beating each boss was going to be by using some variation of moves with the AD. At least in Legend, the boss battles had more variety in tactics.)
I still think Anniversary is a better game than Legend, don't get me wrong, but certain elements of Legend worked better.

LisaB1962
25th Jul 2007, 17:28
Bullet time looked cool, but I never noticed it really giving me an advantage. Also, bullet time required human enemies, something that I prefer not to have in Tomb Raider---at least not to the extent to make bullet time useful. I liked bullet-time for what it was--a cool move--but I'd easily sacrifice it to not have the endless mercs again.

When I was replaying Lost Valley (before I realized I was replaying in vain,) I was able to do the adrenaline dodge with multiple enemies fairly regularly. If Lara was a little quicker and auto-aimed like she used to, it could be even easier to pull off. If we got a decent view of the playing field, it could be hella easy. :D The move itself isn't hard. It's the lack of a decent view that makes it more difficult.

Mangar The Dark
25th Jul 2007, 18:30
Bullet time looked cool, but I never noticed it really giving me an advantage. Also, bullet time required human enemies, something that I prefer not to have in Tomb Raider---at least not to the extent to make bullet time useful. I liked bullet-time for what it was--a cool move--but I'd easily sacrifice it to not have the endless mercs again.

Good point... I got tired of the endless Mercs, too. It wasn't nearly as bad as it was in TR2 (thank goodness!), but it was still a bit much. Still, maybe they could find a way to make bullet time work against animals.

JKCarrier
25th Jul 2007, 23:13
OR you could NOT tell yourself that this molehill is Mt. Everest, realize that the pressing of two buttons in a particular order is NOT a "complex sequence of moves" and actually have a chance when you try.

Y'know, it won't kill you to let frustrated players vent a little. Just because you find it easy doesn't mean that it's easy for everyone. I understand that you're a regular around here, and you're probably sick of seeing this topic brought up constantly. But the fact that it does come up so much should give you an indication that, yes, it's a genuine struggle for a lot of people. And getting all condescending and judgemental on them is not particularly helpful.

Heck, I'm worse than most; I can't even get to the point of "pushing two buttons in order". Whenever I get the rage meter up and the screen goes blurry, the T-Rex is suddenly on top of me and Lara is knocked on her rear before I can make a move. I wouldn't even know what the "overlapping crosshairs" looked like if I hadn't watched a couple of videos, because I've never been able to keep locked on that long.

Yes, I realize that this means I suck, so no need to point that out. :rolleyes:

Demarest
26th Jul 2007, 00:08
Just because you find it easy doesn't mean that it's easy for everyone.

Look again. It has nothing to do with how I find, but rather the gross misstatements made.

Randy 54
26th Jul 2007, 00:28
I totally understand where Mark Bowman is coming from, I was the same way.
I started playing this game thinking that it was like the old ones that I learned on, it's not. My problem was that I jumped into the water before I could swim. I got jammed by the centaurs so I started the game over on the easy level and thanks to you all, I learned that adrenaline dodge and I beat that T Rex. The centaurs will be coming up again just around the corner and that will be another story.

JKCarrier
26th Jul 2007, 01:25
Look again. It has nothing to do with how I find, but rather the gross misstatements made.

I don't see any misstatements in fung0's post. I see a lot of opinions, which are subjective by nature, but not anything that's factually untrue. He says the adrenaline dodge is "ridiculously complex", and for him (and me, and some other folks) that's exactly what it is. I'm not sure why you're so offended by the idea that there are other gamers out there who aren't as skilled as you are. I would've thought that would be flattering. :scratch:

Ok, back on topic: ARRRGH! THIS T-REX IS DRIVING ME NUTS!!!! :mad2:

exmachinad
26th Jul 2007, 01:53

Yeah, the Trex fight is quite irritating the first time around. But it is piece of cake compared to the Centaurs bosses battle. Now that's is smg badly designed. :cool:

Anyway, this "adrenaline dodge" and the stupid need to use it against every boss is smg very, very annoying that I truly hope CD will get rid of for the next TR.

boots
26th Jul 2007, 02:21
JKCarrier, if you're having that problem with the t-rex (I do still sometimes, with other enemies) it sounds like you need to get more distance between you and it before you try to dodge. It's not actually that difficult, since he moves so slowly. Just jump and roll to the opposite end of the arena (keep an eye on him! Face him, so you don't have to turn around) and strafe around him, which you can do with the guns out. If you shoot him continuously then he should be plenty enraged in no time, and you'll have plenty of room to dodge out of the way.

The best time to get the distance is at the very beginning of the battle and whenever he's distracted (like as he's doing his enraged dance or after you pull off an AD, he'll stomp around for a bit afterwards and you can get away pretty easily.) Also, try switching to a different combat mode, if you haven't yet. That might help. :)

As for what fung0 said, I completely understand getting frustrated, although I would point out that I was one of those players that simply expected a modern update to the original. Not having played Legend, I was neither used to, expecting or interested in fancy new combat moves - in fact, I hate convulted battle systems/moves, and I'm terrible at them to boot. I was disappointed and sure I'd never pull it off, but I was also determined to try to anyway, and now I've gotten to the point where I can successfully complete a fight with two, sometimes three enemies using the dodge. I hope that doesn't sound like bragging :o I'm just saying that it isn't completely impossible once you break down the steps, even for a clumsy player like me. It's important not to let yourself get overwhelmed by the apparent complexity, IMO.

The "help" messages are absurd, though, and I often get tripped up when they show up too, causing me to utterly fail at whatever they're trying to help me with. Gee, thanks. :rolleyes:

And for Randy, good luck with the centaurs. :D

JKCarrier
26th Jul 2007, 03:07
Thanks, boots... I'll keep at it. I'm trying to keep my distance, but as soon as the screen blurs, BOOM he's on me. It's like he's jet-propelled or something. I know it's just because I'm not fast enough on the trigger, but it's weird.

What's really funny though is that I can kill the T-Rex "normally" without much trouble... I can avoid him pretty well, the only time he really nails me is when I'm trying to do the adrenaline dodge. I keep replaying the battle because I know I'll need to be able to do the dodge later. So I'm shooting him, and trying to do the dodge, and failing, shooting and trying to dodge and failing, and the next thing I know he's dead anyway. Oops, time to reload... :o

Yeah, having to do a brand new key-combo just for the boss battles is kind of goofy. It's like you're suddenly playing a completely different game (Marvel Ultimate Alliance did a similar thing; hated it there too). I wish it were optional, like the bullet-time in TR Legend: If you're good enough to pull off the combo, congratulations! You do big bonus damage! But if not, you can muddle through normally. Ah well.

Do they talk about the Adrenaline Dodge thing at all in the commentaries? I'd be really interested in hearing what the idea behind it was, and what kind of reactions it got during playtesting...

boots
26th Jul 2007, 03:37
Do they talk about the Adrenaline Dodge thing at all in the commentaries? I'd be really interested in hearing what the idea behind it was, and what kind of reactions it got during playtesting...

They don't, no, but they do mention for the t-rex battle commentary that they wanted to "big up" (in Toby Gard's words) the combat for the boss battles, since in TR1 it was basically just a lot of jumping and shooting due to the time constraints. What he was actually talking about was the added use of the environment for defeating the bosses, but I assume the AD was implied since you require it to do that. I wish they did talk about some of the moves, though, like that and the wall run. I'm very curious about it. But they don't mention it directly.

Anyway, if you can find a single enemy running around anywhere (or two+ and bump the rest off) you might be able to practice the dodge on its own without having to redo that one battle, although that early in the game most enemies might be too weak to get as far as enraging them even if you stick to the pistols. It still works with the raptors, though. I used them for that very effectively. :)

Out of curiosity, do you stop when he approaches you after the slow motion for the dodge is initiated, or do you keep moving?

JKCarrier
26th Jul 2007, 04:39
Out of curiosity, do you stop when he approaches you after the slow motion for the dodge is initiated, or do you keep moving?

I'm trying to keep moving, although once everything slows down it's kind of hard to tell... I may be unconsciously hesitating or something.

I've actually played on past this point, everything up to the Centaurs (which I obviously can't get past yet), and nothing else in the game gives me anywhere near this much trouble (other than the wall-jumping, and even that I can usually get eventually, if only through repetition and dumb luck). I suspect I'll end up resorting to save games to get past the bosses just so I can enjoy the rest of it. Wouldn't be the first time, although I don't think I've ever had to cheat in a TR game before... :mad:

JKCarrier
27th Jul 2007, 19:54
:mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:
Please, please, please, Crystal Dynamics, do NOT put this Adrenaline Dodge stuff in the next TR game. I'm begging you.
:mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

MsKat
31st Jul 2007, 07:26
Okay, I tried and tried and was unable to ever do the Adrenaline Dodge. Two left hands perhaps? I can do other things, but just not that! Anyway, I was about to give up. (once again) and thought maybe I'd get my husband (who has a lot more coordination and guts and stick-to-it ness than I have) to do it for me, and then I found the MAGIC PLACE where a person can stand and shoot the TREX! There is a boulder between the two Logs with Spikes. I ran around a bit, then found the place and much to my surprise once I was on that boulder he didn't hurt me. I could shoot and shoot and shoot and finally he up and died. When he rages he MIGHT be able to get you, but if you just don't let him get past the boiling point you can shoot away at him until he dies. However... warning... the amount of shooting required is phenomenal and you are probably risking carpal tunnel and for sure excessive boredom, but it DOES work!

Annie on a PC

yes i found that! its the way i managed to kill him, dont know if its a glitch but im glad mine not the only copy of the game with it on.