PDA

View Full Version : When did development of TR:A begin?

Digital Sith
8th Jun 2007, 11:06
Hi, just want to first say that I love the direction that Crystal Dynamics have taken the series. I have been a loyal fan since the first game. What I would like to know, and hopefully one of the developers would be kind enough to answer for me, is when did development on TR:A begin? Thanks in advance, and keep up the good work. Cant wait for Legend 2!

munchkin
8th Jun 2007, 16:47
hi digital sith :) welcome to the boards...

just to let you know your not alone there are many fans liek us who ahve loved the series from TR1 onwards who adore the new direction Crystal dynamics have taken the TR series :)

i think the development began midway(ish) through TRL development... no-doubt someone else will have the exact date and time to the second ;)

beccaxx

FallenxFromxLight
8th Jun 2007, 18:10
Development began in the middle of development for TR: Legend, so the game itself has had a total of about 3-4 years of work put into it which is why it's so darn good =).

Digital Sith
9th Jun 2007, 01:49
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I figured that the developement began either sometime during Legend, or just afterwards. However I am trying to locate the actual date, or as close to it as I can get. Thanks.

tidy_george
9th Jun 2007, 02:14
Development began in the middle of development for TR: Legend, so the game itself has had a total of about 3-4 years of work put into it which is why it's so darn good =).

long time for the game to be made .... lol half completed game in like 5 hours (63%) small levels and stupid uber traps that are impossable to figure =/ they should of made it a lil more and less time on how to create uber mechanisms :P my opinion ....

Digital Sith
10th Jun 2007, 05:50
long time for the game to be made .... lol half completed game in like 5 hours (63%) small levels and stupid uber traps that are impossable to figure =/ they should of made it a lil more and less time on how to create uber mechanisms :P my opinion ....

Im not sure you understood the point of this thread. I was asking about the date that the developers began work on Tomb Raider Anniversary.

Bampire
10th Jun 2007, 06:22
I think it was being developed when AOD was the new thing. Then when Legend came out, they re-did it all.

rabid metro
10th Jun 2007, 22:21
there's a bit out there somewhere that explains all this ...

this is what i remember (although the actual source would be more compelling)

2004- Eidos drops Core due to its fatal fumbling of the franchise and takes on CD (developers for Legacy of Kain).
--- CD immediately starts work on Legend (intended to resolve complaints about controls, difficulty, etc. and bring back the fans).

2005- while reviewing past TR games for Legend, CD realizes that it would be easy to re-imagine TR1 with the Legend engine.
--- they also realize that the fluid controls shrink the environment and play time.
--- Core had submitted a TRA proposal but it was rejected by Eidos. Core dissolves.

2006- TR Legend is released (eventually on everything except the mac) and goes on to record sales.
--- Anniversary is announced for release in 2007.
--- Legend II (TR8 and other working titles) is also hinted at as being in development and scheduled for release no earlier than 2008.

2007- TR Anniversary is released.
--- the future looks bright ... :cool:

LisaB1962
11th Jun 2007, 00:52
This actually is a fairly interesting read about the two Anniversaries development. Dates and links included. Curmudgeon Gamer (http://curmudgeongamer.com/2006/07/tomb-raider-controversy.html)

Digital Sith
11th Jun 2007, 17:42
Wow what a great article you found LisaB! Thank you so much for posting it here.