PDA

View Full Version : L of K and philosophy

Sluagh
9th Nov 2013, 21:11
I've always thought LofK would be a thing to write some philosophy essays on, like what you find in the "Batman and Philosophy" series etc. In fact years ago I wrote something about it for one of my BA English Lit essays, as an aspect of wider culture. Anyway...there's quite a few themes in LofK that pop up that I'd like to get round to writing about. For instance:

- The Idea of Eternal Recurrence (present in Nietzsche and some oriental religions)
- The Idea of evolution/devolution (present in so many different sources, from Darwin particularly)
- The Idea of Pollution and Environmental Ethics (as in the smoke stacks. What would do you do if a form of life, or unlife existing saw the blocking out of the sun as a vital part of their expansion?)
- The Idea of power and Nietzschean will to power (there's a lot of Foucault and possibly Arendt bubbling away in LofK, particularly with power structures that cannot be understood or controlled by the participants).

If anybody's got an academic sources or useful references for this I'd really appreciate it! Doing a piece on environmental ethics this year at some point. Maybe I'll write about smokestacks! (and fail).

Monkeythumbz
15th Nov 2013, 15:08
I've always thought LofK would be a thing to write some philosophy essays on, like what you find in the "Batman and Philosophy" series etc. In fact years ago I wrote something about it for one of my BA English Lit essays, as an aspect of wider culture. Anyway...there's quite a few themes in LofK that pop up that I'd like to get round to writing about. For instance:

- The Idea of Eternal Recurrence (present in Nietzsche and some oriental religions)
- The Idea of evolution/devolution (present in so many different sources, from Darwin particularly)
- The Idea of Pollution and Environmental Ethics (as in the smoke stacks. What would do you do if a form of life, or unlife existing saw the blocking out of the sun as a vital part of their expansion?)
- The Idea of power and Nietzschean will to power (there's a lot of Foucault and possibly Arendt bubbling away in LofK, particularly with power structures that cannot be understood or controlled by the participants).

If anybody's got an academic sources or useful references for this I'd really appreciate it! Doing a piece on environmental ethics this year at some point. Maybe I'll write about smokestacks! (and fail).

I'm happy to ask if we could feature any essays you write about this on the Nosgoth blog, if you like?

Sluagh
16th Nov 2013, 14:39
Oh yes thanks that would be great :) Thank you kindly.

Disturbed1390
17th Nov 2013, 23:41

I am actually a philosophy major and I've often thought that there would be some interesting stuff in LoK to explore.

I haven't looked at Nietzsche in great detail, but I thought from his writings on eternal recurrence that it was more of an ethical claim "you should live your life as if you had to live it over again". His moral philosophy is likely to be quite relevant though, I would look at Human, all to Human, and Beyond Good and Evil, if you haven't already.

I think the word "evolution" is misused in LoK. Darwinian evolution is a gradual change in a population over vast periods of time, due to the forces of sexual and natural selection. I think the word metamorphosis would have been more accurate.

The ecological ethics idea seems really interesting. What do you do when the survival of one species depends on the eradication of another? How much should we change our world to suit our own purposes? How different are cities like New York and Tokyo to smokestakes anyway? I don't know of any philosophers who have done work in this area specifically, but Peter Singer wouldn't be a bad place to start. He is a Utilitarian who talks quite a bit about animal rights.

There is one thing that you've missed that I've always been interested in and that is the problem of free will vs. determinism. I believe it's one of the more important discussions happening in philosophy. Do we actually have a choice in what we do, or is free will an illusion? If we do have free will, how much and in what sense? And if not, are we responsible for our actions? Sam Harris has written a book called "free will" on the side of determinism, Daniel Dennett is a compatibilist I can't think of a book on the subject though, and for people arguing for free will this is a good link http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/incompatibilism-theories/

I hope you find some of that useful

Monkeythumbz
18th Nov 2013, 16:05
Oh yes thanks that would be great :) Thank you kindly.

No worries. Just drop me a PM if/when you have content to share. :)

Lord_Aevum
18th Nov 2013, 18:19
If anybody's got an academic sources or useful references for this I'd really appreciate it!

Here are a couple of bits and pieces which could be of help with this kind of study:

IGN – The Influence of Literature and Myth in Videogames (http://www.ign.com/articles/2006/05/18/the-influence-of-literature-and-myth-in-videogames) (entire LoK series)
Ye Olde Usenet – Denis Dyack, on allegory (https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.games.video.sony/s3XCMeXj-_4/66vOLre2sTIJ) (Blood Omen)
PSXnation – Denis Dyack, on influences (http://nosgoth.net/Blood_Omen/PSNinterview1.htm) (Blood Omen)
OPM – Amy Hennig, Funk Soul Brother (http://nosgoth.yuku.com/reply/50800/GLoK-Interviews-with-Amy-Hennig#reply-50800) (ultimate reference for Soul Reaver 2 influences)
GameSpot – Kyle Mannerberg, on Kain's character and influences (http://www.gamespot.com/articles/legacy-of-kain-defiance-designer-diary-3/1100-6078211/) (entire LoK series)
GameSpot – Richard Lemarchand, on Raziel's character and influences (http://www.gamespot.com/articles/legacy-of-kain-defiance-designer-diary-2/1100-6077965/) (Soul Reaver games)
DCabDesign – Daniel Cabuco, on what LoK is all about (http://www.dcabdesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=262#p262)

These are only the really broad links - there are all sorts of minutiae which you could also work in! If you want to justify anything specific, PM me any time and I can tell you if there's an official reference available to support it.

Liquid_speaker
21st Nov 2013, 00:00
I feel the direct spit in the eye of predestination was incredibly done. For one to have definitive proof that they are completely at the mercy of their own fate, that a coin can only land on one of two sides, and taking measures to create something that can defy this was real food for thought. Was Kain ever really making the choice to make Raziel what he became? We do see Kain with a Soul Reaver that can steal souls during the game Soul Reaver.

Sluagh
25th Nov 2013, 17:41
I feel the direct spit in the eye of predestination was incredibly done. For one to have definitive proof that they are completely at the mercy of their own fate, that a coin can only land on one of two sides, and taking measures to create something that can defy this was real food for thought. Was Kain ever really making the choice to make Raziel what he became? We do see Kain with a Soul Reaver that can steal souls during the game Soul Reaver.

Yeah I think that question and the action that results from it really make the game so special. It's got something of an opera about it Legacy of Kain, I started working on a libretto once for fun.

@Monkeythumbz Cheers once again.

@Disturbed 1390 - Thanks for the detailed response. Yes I somehow skirted over the freewill issue. Maybe because it so fundamental to the game storyline I somehow neglected it - the ecological smokestack stuff does sound very interesting. Thanks very much for that Daniel Dennett link :)

@Lord_Aevum Ta for all those great links - I'll have a read through them this evening and for the reference help :)