PDA

View Full Version : PC version leaps and bounds over PS2 version

rsdigi
7th Jun 2007, 12:24
Having beat the PC version, I picked it up for PS2 hoping for tighter controls and a different playing experience. Man was I wrong. This game is almost unplayable after beating the near perfect PC version.

First off the lighting is way overdone. I have tried and tried to play with not only the games brightness and contrast, but also tried to adjust them on my tv. No luck. Lara looks like shes glowing with radioactivity almost all the time. The game is very muddy and blurry. I'm not a fan of the depth of field option, and turned it off on the PC. I found this fixed the "glowing" problem. No such option here, you have to deal with it.

One of the big reasons I got it for PS2 was for the rumble feature. But on the PS2 it just feels like an after thought. There is no vibration when she fires her guns, no vibration when the TREX comes stomping round the corner (both were previously said to happen in other posts B.S.) It only happens randomly, and in no way adds to the experience.

Also, is it just me or is this version way buggier then the PC. Lara seems to have trouble while actually raiding. Many a time I have fallen to my death simply because Lara didnt automatically grap a ledge in plain site. The same with when i run off a cliff, she should automatically grab it by turning around. I have also experienced alot of "floating". This happens when you jump for a ledge etc. and lara just raises her arms, as if in mid jump, and slowly floats in a direction for a little while.

If you have a PC that can handle TRA, stay away from the PS2 version. This was the first TR I played on a PC first, wish I had known how much better the experience was in the past.

But dont' get me wrong, if your only option is for the PS2, it's still a good game. The PC version just outshines it by a mile. And it's a steal at $30.
3/5

Gamer4Lyfe
7th Jun 2007, 12:33
I'll be waiting for the 360 version! 1st I'll download some levels via Xbox Live cause I can't wait, then I'll buy the special Legend w/Anniversary bundle for the 360!! Thank you Eidos!!!!! :D

http://www.xboxic.com/news/3022

Now, the official announcement please? We already know! :nut:

rsdigi
7th Jun 2007, 12:44
I hope no one gets the wrong impression, I f**king love this game to death, but after playing the PC version first, it's like having filet mignon for dinner one night, then steak umms the next.

Of course this is expected on PS2 vs. PC, I was just amazed at the difference.

Rusty_DK
7th Jun 2007, 14:04
are you sure you're pressing the X button after you have corrected the brightness and contrast?

I had the same problem but i wasnt SAVING the changes...it looks fine now

rumble feature works fine on mine too...dont know what the deal is with urs?

CommanderZx2
7th Jun 2007, 14:16
If you really want to play with a controller you can buy a really cheap one and plug it into a PC. I'm sure you'd get rubble with it as well.

I bought a dual shock usb gamepad for my PC 5 years ago for £5 and I still use it for racing games.

However I prefer to use keyboard and mouse for this game.

Gamer4Lyfe
7th Jun 2007, 15:06
Just buy the USB 360 Controller. It's all preset for you & rumble works too.

Captain Mazda
7th Jun 2007, 15:50
Keyboard and mouse > gamepad.

Headshots4life
7th Jun 2007, 18:07
Just buy the USB 360 Controller. It's all preset for you & rumble works too.
That's what I'm using except it the wireless 360 controller :D

Joshorty
7th Jun 2007, 19:40
The vibration are all on time - I didn't have any problems:confused:
For sure, PC beats in graphics but it still looks great. And did you play it on progressive scan? That might help out with the HD quality.

Lara Croft Wanna Be
7th Jun 2007, 19:57
opinions are opinions . . . .

Just like i cant stand the PC version

hate the controls - and i dont think it looks much better than the ps2 version!

Rydell
7th Jun 2007, 21:12
Okay what is progressive scan. I have a HDTV but when my Ps2 is hooked up all my games look horrible. Is progressive scan a option in the PS2 Anniversary display options? Or do you have to do it seperately. I'm going to Circuit City, Walmart and EB hoping at least one has the anniversary collectors edition. So can someone explain progressive scan and how to use it?

Joshorty
7th Jun 2007, 21:57
wow I thought you'd know by now!:eek:
I don't have an HD TV but I believe it is meant for HD in 480p or was it i or whatever and it will enhance the graphics. Take a look at this page (http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=7701667&publicUserId=5785525) for details on how some games look between standard and progressive.

To really capture the quality, you're gonna have to do it yourself on the HD TV. Get a good read from that page. If you need help, then others who knows how will give you a lending hand;) You're gonna need the right cables too - not hte regular red white and red ones. I belive they mentioned it on the link I provided.

Qbert
7th Jun 2007, 22:18
http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pRS1C-3036574_rshalt1_dt.jpg

Paulraider
7th Jun 2007, 22:27
playing a clear graphical tomb raider on the Pc would look a hell of alot better then o na PS2,. that flamin obvious, althought depends what ya Pc spek is

Ps2 will never be the samw quality in new game territory, althought i have a PS2 cos its always costs a lot more to keep upgrading a Pc cos every other game you have to do that. that why there is a PS3, and believe me a PS3 on a HD matches a PC

Joshorty
8th Jun 2007, 02:19
And I also heard you can enhance the PS2 graphics with the Ps3 right? Or more like anti-aliase it? And I also heard it looks great when you do progressive scan on Ps3 with Ps2 games:D

thomaswest8t
8th Jun 2007, 08:37
i bought it on ps2, becuase i cannot play it on a keyboard to save my life! and on ps2 lara's movements are flowing and graceful which cannot be done on the pc without a special game pad (and i am not paying for one of those) .

Do the math
Ps2 collectors edition with dvd and soundtrack £30
Pc version £18 (no dvd or soundtrack:( ) plus around £20-£30 for the controller.

Gamer4Lyfe
8th Jun 2007, 10:24
Okay what is progressive scan. I have a HDTV but when my Ps2 is hooked up all my games look horrible. Is progressive scan a option in the PS2 Anniversary display options? Or do you have to do it seperately. I'm going to Circuit City, Walmart and EB hoping at least one has the anniversary collectors edition. So can someone explain progressive scan and how to use it?1st get Component Cables for your PS2.

Notts Raider
8th Jun 2007, 10:29
Do the math
Ps2 collectors edition with dvd and soundtrack £30
Pc version £18 (no dvd or soundtrack:( ) plus around £20-£30 for the controller.

Hmmm, not sure about your logic there, you seem to forget the cost of your PS2, which is much more than buying a gamepad. Also you can get the Collectors Edition for the PC. http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/162/jester2vppt1.gif

Leak
8th Jun 2007, 16:49
Hmmm, not sure about your logic there, you seem to forget the cost of your PS2, which is much more than buying a gamepad.
Not to mention that said joypad will work with *other games* as well, imagine that... :D

Paulraider
8th Jun 2007, 17:38
well the reason i've always prefered consoles over PC's is that you dont have to constantly piss about with the things above, which ia perfect example.

The only upside with Pc's of course is online gaming cos console online gaming is a ripoff, cost, cost and yeah and more cost

Notts Raider
8th Jun 2007, 21:23
well the reason i've always prefered consoles over PC's is that you dont have to constantly piss about with the things above, which ia perfect example.

The only upside with Pc's of course is online gaming cos console online gaming is a ripoff, cost, cost and yeah and more cost
mapping the keys on a gamepad aint to much of a task http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/7103/wink2xo8.gif After all, you still have to set it up on a PS2, to your liking.