PDA

View Full Version : The "How I Acquired TRA" Thread

Mertz523
6th Jun 2007, 19:53
If you have an interesting story on how you acquired the fabled artifact known as Tomb Raider: Anniversary, share it! I went store-trotting around all the major stores in my area on the quest to discover it.

It all started right after work. I canceled my pre-order at GameCrazy yesterday when they called me and I decided I was going to give GameStop (EB Games) a chance since I pre-ordered it there, too. I knew it would be at Best Buy for $20 rather than $30, but I was going to buy it at the place that received it first.

So, I go to Best Buy at about 10:30 today and see that it hasn't been put on the shelf yet. I ask an associate if it arrived yet, and she had no idea what I was talking about. Two more associates later, I am told it hasn't arrived yet and to check back around 1 or 2. I reluctantly leave.

So I had 3 hours to kill. I live 20 minutes south of this town so going home wasn't an option for me. So I went to Wal-Mart just to see if they had it in. They had the guide, but no game. It hadn't arrived yet either.

I drove to Toys R Us and I had to keep from punching this chick. I went in, asked if they got it in, and she said: "I don't know what that is, but we did get our games today and it wan't there. They will be on the shelf in about an hour. Is this game a major release? Cuz if it is, then it will probably still come today, but more than likely, it will be here Friday."

I WALKED out of there, past my car, and walked across 3 parking lots and 6 lanes of traffic to the mall. I needed air, as she really irked me.

I went into GameStop (or EB) and asked if they had received it yet. They said they didn't, but it would be there...HOPEFULLY. I walked out after shooting the breeze with the employees just to annoy them, and walked out. The strategy guide for TRA caught my eye whilst on my way out. Keep that in mind.

So I walked back to my car after killing 30 minutes at the mall, made a phone call, did some clothes shopping, and returned to Best Buy. It was about 1pm, and I decided to go in and see if they had put it out yet. They hadn't, but for once someone asked me if I needed help and I asked this guy if the shipment came in. He said it came in FIVE MINUTES AGO!! He went to the back and came back an agonizing 7 minutes later and there it was! IN MY HAND!

So, I went back to GameStop and as soon as they saw me, the guy pretty much yelled it wasn't here yet. Surprised by his tone, I slipped into a nervous demeanor and asked: "What's the policy in cancelling a pre-order? I went to Best Buy and they had just put it out and it was $20, not $30." They stared at me with open mouthed silence for about 5 seconds before the dude glared at me and blurted out "You can't." The one girl replied in a slightly irritated tone and said I could. "But was there anything else you wanted?" I said, "Could I put my pre-order money towards the strategy guide?" The dude stormed off, and the girl rung me up and started explaining how a cancelled pre-order really screws up their inventory and what-not. I pretended to care, grabbed my guide, said "Have a nice day" and was answered back with....nothing.

Oh well. I got my game, guide, and the awesome poster that comes with the guide. The poster is the first wallpaper image: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=651988&postcount=1

I was going to post more details, as the whole 3 hour hunt was irksome, yet fun, but I'm gonna start playing now after I get some grub.

What's everyone else's story? Share it!

:D :cool:

Qbert
6th Jun 2007, 20:03
I'm gonna look around today and try my luck. If it's at best buy like you said, I'll go there first.

gopher666
6th Jun 2007, 20:09
Well since all I hear about on this site is delays and grief I thought my story.

I went into town on June 1st and went into the Game and had a look at the new releases shelf. There they were, 5 collectors edition in a row, I picked the middle one and went to the counter. I then proceeded to pay for the game then jumped into my car and drove home to play it.

Thank you for listening. :D

Mertz523
6th Jun 2007, 20:25
Well since all I hear about on this site is delays and grief I thought my story.

I went into town on June 1st and went into the Game and had a look at the new releases shelf. There they were, 5 collectors edition in a row, I picked the middle one and went to the counter. I then proceeded to pay for the game then jumped into my car and drove home to play it.

MUST'VE BEEN NICE!

;)

Captain Mazda
6th Jun 2007, 20:48
Nice story, nice to see you're all set.

I still have no copy. Even called Best Buy's customer service and spoke to them about this "pre-order". So I was basically wrestling with this man who spoke broken English and no matter how many times I told him the pre-order was placed May 29th and that the game was released nationwide yesterday and also the fact that their site listed Tomb Raider Anniversary as "Released June 5th" (note the released in past tense), he kept answering with "it is out-of-stock, it is out-of-stock."

On top of that, turns out this nice Panasonic PV-GS39 DV Cam that I recently acquired is a complete waste of money. It doesn't even come with a firewire for uploading clips into my PC and even if I did go out and buy one, according to thousands of customer reviews, the firewire doesn't even work with XP.

Beautiful day...really.

I'm resisting the urge to drive down to EB Games in Etobicoke. This is ridiculous.

Mertz523
6th Jun 2007, 20:59
That sucks, Captain. :(

When you do get it, you will have to post all the major details here, though. I cannot play it yet. Not only am I eating a really big bowl of chocolate ice cream, but I just realized my older brother still has my PS2 controllers. He gets off work at 6, so I will go get them when he gets home.

It is a...glorious, beautiful, RAINY day, now aint it?

:whistle:

:mad2:

redfox45
6th Jun 2007, 21:23
I baught TRA with a PS3 and got a free copy of spiderman 3 :D

as natla says, that day really made my wallet rumble (what an odd thing that is to say:scratch: )

rsdigi
6th Jun 2007, 21:33
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=69047

RaiderGirl#1
6th Jun 2007, 21:42
I actually just got my copy!! I'm so excited.
Yesterday I had a parent go to Gamestop to see if it was there. The man said it hadn't arrived yet (although on their site it said it should have been out.)
So this morning I went to Circuit City since on their site it said it would be out. I go up to the guy and he tells me they don't have it. I ask when he thinks they will have it. He says next week.
Then I call my parent and ask if the guy told him when they would get it. So he calls Gamestop back and finds out that they get today and are going to put it on the shelves ASAP.
Then my parent calls back and reserves the last copy!
I am very lucky and very happy!!

Mertz523
6th Jun 2007, 21:53
:( :(

I can't get my controllers from my bro 'til tomorrow. I can't play it yet.

:mad2: :( :mad2: :(

ziad
7th Jun 2007, 00:22
i went with a couple of friends to buy it at around 1:00

just as i was about to go home some chav ran out (he lives a couple of houses down) and tries to grab my game bag.... well actually he managed to... AND MY PHONE AND WALLET WAS IN THERE.... i was like HELL NO.... (seriously i was relieved that my wait was over for the bloody game... i wasn't about to let it get stolen)... so my friends and i literelly went on some massive chase... lasted about 10 minutes... he soon dropped it, it's amazing how quickly people give up...(if your going to rob me, do it right) lol.. so yeah... that was it... i arrived at my house dripping with sweat...i was so pissed off, i actually didn't enjoy the game untill about yesterday when i played it through again

Captain Mazda
7th Jun 2007, 03:25
lol, chavs are pathetic. I have enough UK buddies to know everything about them.

Mertz523
7th Jun 2007, 03:26
Pardon my ignorance, but...

what the french toast is a chav?

aussie500
7th Jun 2007, 04:59
l brought the Game UK PC Collectors Edition on line, but decided to buy my PS2 CE locally. l rang the EB store where l had pre-ordered the normal version (since the CE was not on the system), they only got the normal version. l rang the other two EB stores and they both got the Collectors Edition, cancelled my pre-order, got one of the other stores to put a copy aside for me yesterday. Today when it was released l started of at 7.30am for a 2 hr trip down there to pick it up, l spent more than half the day getting it. Next time l will just order both versions from overseas and save myself the hassle.

Captain Mazda
7th Jun 2007, 05:45
Pardon my ignorance, but...

what the french toast is a chav?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a382/CaptainMazda/Smilies/lol.gif

MercuryRapids
7th Jun 2007, 06:46
It was a difficult quest, fighting through hordes of cat mummies and centaurs, leaping and swinging across deep ravines and perilous gorges, lined with deadly traps and fiendish puzzles, but I finally reached my goal. Sitting atop a dusty, ancient dais of elaborate masonry, glinting in the amber shafts of sunlight that penetrated the musty chamber, Tomb Raider: Anniversary was within my grasp. I gripped the precious artifact in my aching fingers and fled the suddenly-collapsing temple, tired and weary, but satisfied that my task was complete...

Nah, I ordered it from GAME.... :)

npomis
7th Jun 2007, 12:05
Easy, I asked a friend, who has a friend in the UK. She sent it to me...
A little expensive for me though (1 euro is worth 4 pesos here, plus delivery...). I guess I won't eat for a couple of days. But having the game is priceless!

Lo
8th Jun 2007, 00:23
I stole it from Mertz when she finally fell asleep on the keyboard and replaced it with a gooey pancake :D

What am I saying? :eek: It was all just a dream and I awoke to find I still haven't got it! (But the pancake has gone :scratch: ) Hmmm wait until tomorrow night :p ;)

Headshots4life
8th Jun 2007, 00:54
I called every store I could think of (Best Buy, Wal Mart, EB Games etc.) and none had it so I bought it through Steam :D downloading as I type this.

TRNoob
8th Jun 2007, 01:29
I think Eidos really dropped the ball on distributing this title. Today is the 7th. It was supposed to be out on the 5th. But still no stores in my area have it. Most do the Scooby Doo impression when asked about it.

So I downloaded Legend from D2D (I won't buy anything through Steam, ever -- I HATE Valve for forcing me to have an Internet connection to install my _DVD_ version of HalfLife 2).

It's probably just as well I couldn't find Anniversary, yet (on disc). I'm very frustrated with TR Legend. I'd probably be more frustrated with Anniversary.

Anyone know why they quit putting the anytime save in Legend and Anniversary? Is it because it's a port from the consoles?

Lo
8th Jun 2007, 01:34
They did it to be awkward :p

Joshorty
8th Jun 2007, 03:24
Great stories :D! I'm enjoying this:p

Well mine began with a morning where I woke up and say to myself:

Today is the day where the saga begins
But DARN! Although I preordered it, I still don't have the amount of money to cover the rest so I asked my mom if she had at least $10 and she said yes:D!

So yaddiyada, went to school, get dropped off. I was in full work mode that I totally forgot about the game (not really but easily focused on my studies..) THEN the bell rang (at 2:40)!

WOOT! But before that, I'd have to drop my stuff off at my locker and at the same time, try to get a chance in getting this girl I like to talk to me or even say "Later Josh!"...sad...*sigh*..seeing her smile was enough...

SO!

I walked to Square one - er -the mall that had the game and in the middle of the walk, I called my mom in figuring out how I can be picked up later on the day around 6:30. My dad also said EB Games called saying that the Collector's edition is reserved for me, which got me excited:D!

So I killed my time to go visit my one and only garden that closely resembles those in Japan - Kariya garden
*sigh* too bad the cherry blossoms are gone. I missed it. Sat there, enjoyed the scenery, looking down at the pond where I reflect to myself saying:[/I]

Just what am I going to do with this girl I like?
After an hour, went to the mall, went browsing around. Check other stores and compared prices and yaddiyada and finally picked my copy up at EB Games. HA! They've mistaken me for preordering 2 copies of Anniversary, for the other was the PSP version, which is soon to be released.

Sadly, it wasn't the Collector's edition..sigh...

O well that's my story:D!

Mertz523
8th Jun 2007, 04:22
I stole it from Mertz when she finally fell asleep on the keyboard and replaced it with a gooey pancake :D

You mean when HE fell asleep at the keyboard, right, Lo?

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=628415&postcount=75

;)

rabid metro
8th Jun 2007, 07:06
i pre-ordered at GameStop ($5 down).
i'm a long time customer at this store with over $100 on my card ...
june 6, i walked into the store and dropped the Best Buy ad on the counter.
Kojak (the storekeeper) says "no problem" ... (cha-ching, store discount, $10 off). :cool:

i vaguely remember using the grapple to get home (avoiding traffic)...
... everything has been pretty much a blur since then ...

btw, i've challenged myself to only go as far as 2 small medi-packs will take me ...
AND explore every nook and cranny along the way ...
it'll be late fall before i finish TRA. no walkthroughs, etc. sweet!!!

They say that "get a life" didn't always mean "play Second Life".
They say that when you raid, longer is definitely better.

Lo
8th Jun 2007, 09:01
You mean when HE fell asleep at the keyboard, right, Lo?

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=628415&postcount=75

;)

Hehehe sorry Mertz - I always thought you were a 'He' previously then I was sure I had seen you write that you were female on a thread and I remember being surprised! I did have to think for a few minutes before writing 'She' and I got it horribly wrong LOL :o

*Replaces gooey doughnut with man-size burger* :D

Mertz523
10th Jun 2007, 21:46
*Replaces gooey doughnut with man-size burger* :D

You mean the gooey pancake, right? Hehe. :p

Rabid, you're lucky. No store in my area honors the competition's ad anymore. They only gave it you probably because you are a loyal cutomer of theirs. I'm never visiting my GameStop ever again.

rabid metro
10th Jun 2007, 21:54
yep, the discount was from customer loyalty and long discussions with the storekeep about gaming trends, etc.

TRA has the potential to be as great as any TR title, all time ...
i think the lower price helps!

Raid On!

Rascalius
10th Jun 2007, 22:55
I aquired my copy two days before the release date (thanks to Amazon uk) but... I'm 38 so my 'old' fingers needed a two day head-start on you younger gamers. :D Finished it now though - Awesome game!! :thumbsup:

ggctuk
11th Jun 2007, 10:33

Two weeks from now, that'll be my story (Save for the jumping in the car - I walk there and back)

Capkeez
11th Jun 2007, 10:43
I traveled on train 12km to my destination JUST to buy TRA. it sold out in every major games store. i was just about to give up when i checked a small store hiding in a corner out of desparation. i found 20 copies of TRA there. i snatched it off the shelf and took a taxi home.