PDA

View Full Version : Great Pyramid - too hard! I give up [merged]

arnoschaefer
6th Jun 2007, 18:13
Hi,

am I just incompetent, or is the jumping puzzle in the great pyramid much too hard?

I am at the stage where I have to shoot some gizmo to release two flying mutants, then do some intricate jumping puzzle, while a timer goes down.

I am pretty experienced with action adventures and jumping puzzles, and so far in the game, I had no great difficulty, but this is just near impossible.
I am maybe at my 100th try. First there are these mutants shooting exploding fireballs at me, which throw me off the ledge more often than not. I have the submachine guns and the shotgun, but I still end up falling off the ledge into the lava most of the time.

Once I have disposed of the mutants, there is what must be one of the hardest jumping puzzles I have ever come across in any game. Make the slightest mistake, the timer runs off and you need to start over. All that wouldn't be so bad if the controls where more precise, but nine times out of ten Lara just does not do what I want her to do.

Couldn't they at least have made a checkpoint after killing the mutants?

Eidos, if you are reading this: TRA is awesome, but it is enormously frustrating to have come through three quarters of the game and then be stuck for hours on end on a single puzzle :(

BTW I just tried killing the mutants first, then going back to an earlier checkpoint, just to get them off my back - guess what: now the checkpoint on the ledge has disappeared, so I don't have to deal with the mutants anymore, but I have to do three jumping puzzles in a row without falling down. I wonder if that's any better. Still trying...

Notts Raider
6th Jun 2007, 18:21
I'd be interested to know if it is easier http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/2959/arcadefreakof1.gif

CommanderZx2
6th Jun 2007, 18:24
Are you refering to the one with the polls sticking out the walls that disappear when the timer runs out?

There is a tiny ledge that you can jump onto after the first wall run. Then manually aim at the timer and put it back to full time before attempting the last wall run.

sophie22
6th Jun 2007, 18:52
yes, i feel your pain, see my anger http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=68980

magalina
6th Jun 2007, 19:13
Ok, being a TR fan from the beginning I absolutely loved this game so far even though there were some frustrating moments, but the part in this level where you have to make the timed jump with the poles and the wall runs is definitely a game stopper for me. The combination of bad camera angles, difficult keyboard sequences and the checkpoint before you kill the 2 mutants makes me wanna throw my comp out of the window. This is the hardest jumping part I ever encountered in a game, and believe me, I've played a lot. Anyway, I'm getting utterly frustrated but I do want to finish this game, so is there anybody out there who's willing to send me a saved game right after this jump?
Thanks

i_am2young4this
6th Jun 2007, 19:22
You have to kill the mutants first and after that shoot that thing again and when mutants throw fireballs at you wait till you see them with it in their hand and then dodge it!!

Xcom
6th Jun 2007, 19:26
Anyway, I'm getting utterly frustrated but I do want to finish this game, so is there anybody out there who's willing to send me a saved game right after this jump?

I feel your pain. It's horrible, horrible spot in the game, especially for keyboard and mouse. I am not sure a savegame from different profile will work, but you can try...

Notts Raider
6th Jun 2007, 19:29
Even on my 4th time around it still invoked the near fatality of my HDTV screen, but I do bless the makers for not constructing TRA as an easy game.

gopher666
6th Jun 2007, 20:00
lol.... Just wait till you try that sequence when your doing the time trial :lol: :lol: :lol: :rasp: :lol: :lol: :lol:

redfox45
6th Jun 2007, 21:28
It was hard but once I knew what to do I managed it:D the bit just before the natla fight was just too much though!

magalina
6th Jun 2007, 21:43
Xcom, I tried your saved game, but I get the message it's damaged when I try to load it.
Well, guess that's it then, no more TRA for me.

redfox45
6th Jun 2007, 21:45
Its probably best to kill the mutants with the uzis as its faster and not as sloppy, unlike tr1 you dont need a gatling gun to kill the torso boss.

once your past that bit its not too bad.

the worst bit is getting lara to aim at the mutants and not at the god damn button!

GrrrboyMC
6th Jun 2007, 22:01
but very possible.

I_amtooyoungfor this is correct. You have to
- shoot button
- kill beasties (while avoiding shooting the button and not falling off ledge)
- shoot button again
- panic trying to use the grappling controls and jumping at wierd camera angles

Easy!

(I dread trying to do it on Time Trial)

MrE26
6th Jun 2007, 22:19
Wow, i've flown past this sequence twice now with no trouble at all. Mind you, i'd not even consider trying it with a keyboard.

Xcom
6th Jun 2007, 23:08
Xcom, I tried your saved game, but I get the message it's damaged when I try to load it.
Well, guess that's it then, no more TRA for me.

Pity. I suspected as much. :(

I am curious though, people who are claiming this is easy, are you playing with controllers? It's possible that analogue stick may be irreplaceable here. With WASD setup, this whole thing just seems to be a matter of pure luck (given camera movements).

ten76
7th Jun 2007, 04:54
I think this is the place where I'm stuck too. I can usually make it to the first wall run. I noticed I could skip the poles that come out of the wall by jumping directly from the ledge and use the grapple to the first wallrun. This works for me maybe 50% of the times I try and saves alot of time. My problem is that I cant make it from the 1st wallrun to the 2nd. Whenever I try I shoot the grapple, Lara screams and takes a really hot bath and I'm back to square 1. Well ledge 1 in this case. Last night I wasted 90minutes trying to complete this sequence.

sophie22
7th Jun 2007, 07:23
Pity. I suspected as much. :(

I am curious though, people who are claiming this is easy, are you playing with controllers? It's possible that analogue stick may be irreplaceable here. With WASD setup, this whole thing just seems to be a matter of pure luck (given camera movements).

i played it with controller and it was still a pain in the...
in the end i got somwbody else to deo it and it still took them a trillion tries

aussie500
7th Jun 2007, 08:10
l played it with the keyboard, l did try the controller after failing for about the 30th time, but the camera was actually worse with my controller. It took a lot of goes with the keyboard and l dread ever doing it again. l am going to try the PS2 version on the weekend, which l suspect will have a much better behaved camera. There is no way l could do the time trial for that section on the PC :(

The Xbox360 controller is probably the best to use, unfortunately the only one l can borrow is the wireless one, l do not have an adapter so it is keyboard for me. If l manage to survive this section on my second attempt l will save a game at this checkpoint and the one after, which is slightly easier to pass.

MrE26
7th Jun 2007, 08:31
Yeah, 360 wired controller here. It's definitely a tricky section, but far from the anuerism inducing experience i've heard it described as. I can imagine it being nigh on impossible without a decent analogue stick though.

Xcom
7th Jun 2007, 10:25
I noticed I could skip the poles that come out of the wall by jumping directly from the ledge and use the grapple to the first wallrun. This works for me maybe 50% of the times I try and saves alot of time.

Dude, you're a genius. It hasn't even occurred to me to try a direct jump to the ring. :o :o It, indeed, saves 2/3rd's of the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0OxsU6DQzA

Skip the freaking poles!!! That's the secret.

Martin C
7th Jun 2007, 10:43
Dude, you're a genius. It hasn't even occurred to me to try a direct jump to the ring. :o :o It, indeed, saves 2/3rd's of the time.

Skip the freaking poles!!! That's the secret.

Thanks for linking that mate, going to be of great help to me when I do the time trial for that level. :D

Martin C x

gopher666
7th Jun 2007, 10:56
Oh I know its easier once you know how but every time you fail you have to kill the two flyers again and it really eats into your time

Xcom
7th Jun 2007, 10:58
Oh I know its easier once you know how but every time you fail you have to kill the two flyers again and it really eats into your time

What are you talking about? Just shoot the button after you kill them to reset the timer.

npomis
7th Jun 2007, 11:01
Hi! I did it on my fifth try. I found it wasn't that hard. I looked around a lot, memorizing the jumps. Only then, I did it and I had time to spare.
I recommend memorizing all the jumps before doing them. That way it was easier. And I'm playing with mouse and keyboard.

Grieyls
8th Jun 2007, 02:51
Ok, I am really getting frustrated with the great shaft. I have made it all the way to last platform ie: 5. Where all I need do is wall walk twice from one wall to the other. Jumping off slidey slopes. Dang nabit but keyboard controls for this just aren't good enough. No sooner does the grapple snag the hook then do I stop dead centre and not move. By the time I get momentum up again its too late. I've spent the last 40 odd hours (not all at once), trying to succeed in this and I'm ready to pack it all in. This level has to be totally insane. Crikeys its hard enough doing this dang thing when you don't have a time limit, but 15sec is just not long enough.

Anybody got a save point just after this they can get to me? Cause I can't seem to do it. Managed the other ones don't know why this one is proving impossible. :confused:

ten76
8th Jun 2007, 14:18
Have you tried landing on the tiny ledge above the slope between the 2 wallruns? Lara can stand there and you can use manual aim on the target to reset the clock before you slide down the slope. If you do this then you will have enough time to make Lara start swinging again even if she comes to a dead stop. This is how I finally got past the 2nd wallrun.

The tricky part is to land on that tiny ledge. What worked for me was that I climb a little shorter than in in this video

And when I swing left and jump I landed on the ledge. I did not use savegames while playing so I do not have a save before I did this so I cant go back and test this at the moment to see if it was luck that landed me on the ledge.

Xcom
8th Jun 2007, 14:28
Have you tried landing on the tiny ledge above the slope between the 2 wallruns?

Actually, I have. It is possible, but I just don't see the point any more. Skipping the poles gives you more than enough time to complete the whole thing in one go. You can also skip this ledge altogether, just do a backwards wall jump from the 1st ring to the 2nd ring.

btw, somebody claimed it is also possible to jump to the 2nd ring directly from the platform. I tried that about a dozen times, so far w/o success. Even if it's possible, it must require extremely precise timing of jumping and grappling (and hence it is as annoying as doing it "normal" way). Going for the 1st ring works nearly always.

Grieyls
8th Jun 2007, 16:53
Yeah I managed to get past that one which is the second platform. I'm stuck on the last platform before you reach the top. You jump to the sloped edge slide, jump and grapple the ring, wall run over to the next slope and slide then jump again, grapple the next ring and wall run over to the ledge which you catch. Then you haul Lara up onto the very top platform. I've tried this a zillion times but for some reason can't get it to work. I blame the camera angle cause as soon as I get to the first grapple Lara swings to a dead stop and I can't get her momentum up again to even get to the second slope. :(

munchkin
8th Jun 2007, 16:59
hi guys, its true the keyboard controls are a ngithmare for the trickier jumping puzzles, i do recomend getting a gamepad or ana dapter touse your xbox/360 or PS3 controllers, it really makes one heck of a massive difference in game enjoyment.

beccaxx

Grieyls
8th Jun 2007, 17:52
Yeah I tried it using a game pad but it was worse. Too used to keyboard/mouse set up now.

Cherry Hardy
9th Jun 2007, 02:47
It was hard for me to but, I like it. This just shows you that that old Tomb Raider feeling is back. I love TRA game and I hop it stays this hard for Legend II. Tomb Raider is finally back. Don't worry keep on trying and you will make it. This is how hard Tomb Raider games should be no easier no hard but just like TRA hardness level. I love this game. And don't give up keep on trying it took me all night but I made it past that part.:)

Grieyls
9th Jun 2007, 03:35
Finally did it, took me ages but I finally did it. Dang but that was frustrating. As for how hard it was, never again. Don't get me wrong I like hard puzzles that make you think. The solving of it will always give me a buzz. But when a puzzle is easy to understand but down right difficult to achieve then yeah I hate it. Games should be fun not frustrating. So apart from that central shaft in the great pyramid Anniversary was great.

redfox45
9th Jun 2007, 08:45
It was hard for me to but, I like it. This just shows you that that old Tomb Raider feeling is back. I love TRA game and I hop it stays this hard for Legend II. Tomb Raider is finally back. Don't worry keep on trying and you will make it. This is how hard Tomb Raider games should be no easier no hard but just like TRA hardness level. I love this game. And don't give up keep on trying it took me all night but I made it past that part.:)

it only took me a few tries to get it right, that last one was a b1tch.

Trueform
9th Jun 2007, 10:15
I had no problems with it :)
The only annoying thing is that the lock on locks to the things in the wall when you want it to lock onto the flying monsters.