PDA

View Full Version : USER INTERFACE Menu for 4:3 monitors?

Sianan
15th Oct 2013, 15:36
For me the font in the game menu is very small and pretty hard to read (i.e. not very smooth).

Does anyone else have this problem?

My screen resolution is 1280x1024.

Cirtaboy
15th Oct 2013, 15:46
Are you sure you are using the right resolution?

Sianan
15th Oct 2013, 16:02
Yes, I have two screens, each with 1280x1024 native resolution.

LOFO1993
8th Nov 2013, 16:06
Hi everyone, I joined the alpha today (thanks for the invitation BTW) so forgive me if you already talked about this and I don't know yet.

After installing the game and launching it, the first thing I noticed is the menu is displayed as if I had a 16:9 monitor, even though I have a 4:3 one and the game recognized my desktop resolution (1280x1024) correctly. I can't find any option in the option menu to set screen ratio.

The menu is set in the top part of the screen; the windows end at more or less 2/3 of the lenght of the video from the top of the screen, then the background image continues for a bit more and than fades to black, letting more or less 1/6 of the video at the bottom completely black.

The highest resolution it allows me to use is the one I have right now, 1280x1024. I tried all the others and they work, but the video is still displayed at 16:9 as before. A couple of them place the image in the middle of the screen, all the others at the top as I just explained.

I have no clue if it's just a bug or if this is how things are meant to be, but right now it's very difficult to read what's written in the menus because of how small the text is, and I don't even have a small monitor (18' diagonal) nor it is of low quality itself (professional LG monitor for graphic artists, max resolution supported 2048x1536).

Of course I have no way to know if the resolution sets correctly in-game until the next game session.

Syst3mzero
8th Nov 2013, 17:47
Hey.

My first thought was I wouldn't class a 18 inch monitor as very big at all, in fact its positively tiny then I realised you could consider it not a small monitor because that size would be quite large in the world of laptops (please dont take this as me being funny its just I don't know anyone with under 20 inch monitor and the smallest one I have in my house is 23 inch... and thats the smallest)

Now please don't think that I'm being condescending but I really don't know how much of a geek you are so I will keep this simple.
If it is a laptop then it's kind of doubtful it has much oompf when it comes to gaming. but knowing if its a laptop or desktop would make it easier to diagnose.

If I'm wrong and it is a desktop it would be a whole different set of rules. things such as your monitor may support a higher resolution that your graphics card so despite your monitor saying it can go that high its bottlenecking at the GFX card (or it could be you are reading GFX card resolution max aand thinking it means monitors max).
It could be bad graphics drivers. basically more info on GFX card, Machine type, current graphics driver would be useful.

Also I checked LG's current and discontinued models for an 18 inch screen and they didn't have one listed, they did have 18.5 tho, also they don't acknowledge any models current or discontinued with that resolution (in any size). it could be an oversight but a model number would make it much easier if you could.

LOFO1993
9th Nov 2013, 08:45
Thank you for the reply, but I don't think you got my point at all.

I don't have problems with my monitor, I never had. I played tons of games with it, I've been working on video editing and on 2D and 3D graphics with it, and it always worked perfectly. BTW, it's a Flatron F900P; I've found out it's classified as a 19'' monitor (whence why you couldn't find it probably); yesterday I just measured and it looked to me 18'' + something. I also have an Nvidia GTX 560 installed, and its drivers are up to date. The fact is that I know for sure I have a very good monitor, I said that just to emphatise that if I, with a good monitor, couldn't read a thing, I can't imagine people with worse and/or smaller 4:3 screens.

I KNOW the monitor and the PC displaying work well, the fact is the menu of this game is placed so wrong it gets really hard to see anything in it. If I just could upload an image of the menu it would be easier to understand what I mean, but of course I can't use any external site because of the NDA, and I don't think the forum has any internal library.

It's very simple, really. Imagine the menu as it would be on a 16:9 monitor, then take that image and place it on the top part of a 4:3 monitor: you just won't be able to see anything clearly because it will look so compressed, and at the same time it will stupidly not use a huge portion of the video on the bottom.

In the end, I was just saying they should definitely add an option for a 4:3 interface, and if they already did I'm informing it's not working or even visible in my copy of the game.

PS: a 4:3 monitor has a wider surface than a 16:9 one with a diagonal just as long. A 19'' diagonal 4:3 monitor has a total surface of 1,118 square cm, a 16:9 with the same diagonal of just 995 square cm. So, as for the surface, my monitor is slightly bigger than a 16:9, 20'' one. And, trust me, for the distance I'm looking at it from it's quite big and overall clear.

Syst3mzero
9th Nov 2013, 23:18
Cool, much easier to get you now I know you are geeky, its always hard to give advice to someone you don't know because you might be going right over their head or speaking to them like they have no clue.
There is a way to upload pics to the forum, they can host it, you are quite right that we cant use an external. Unfortunately I cant remember where I saw how you can upload it.

Looks like you have a good grasp on the issue and I doubt there is anything I can suggest, I would say its down to it being an Alpha (and only doing most common screen rez this early on) but I can't say for sure.

Best advice I can give you is pm hirukaru, he is compiling a big ass bug list and seems to be keeping track of things better than most beta testers. he may have already found an answer as I seem to recall reading someone had a similar problem and he may have seen it on his tidy up.
here is his profile
http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/member.php?u=26796

And I'm sure he could point you in the direction of the how to upload for the closed alpha thread.

Oh and one last thing, I admit I miss my 21 inch 4:3 screen was much bigger. only bought a 16:10 because it died, was quite happy with it apart from it didn't work lol.

LOFO1993
10th Nov 2013, 08:12
Ok, thank you for the advice, I'll write to him then.

hirukaru
10th Nov 2013, 17:07
It is indeed the second report about the Screen ratio issue.
This is the other topic:
http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=7669

I did put your link in also.
There is not a known fix for this yet. Because you are the second one I will try to put some effort in.

Resolution that I have (including the aspect ratio):in game
1920x1080 - 16:9
1024 x 768 - 4:3
1152 x 864 - 4:3
1280 x 720 - 16:9
1280 x 768 - 5:3
1280 x 800 -16:10
1366 x 768 - ~16:9
1440 x 900 - 16:10
1600 x 900 - 16:9

This also means that everyone got a specific suggestions in game and don't have a free choice in resoltions.

LOFO1993
10th Nov 2013, 19:18
Resolutions I have (they are listed in this order):

1024x768
1152x864
1280x720
1280x768
1280x800
1280x1024 (also marked as "native")

None of them is matched with and indication of the ratio, the two number are all that appears in every line.

1152x864 is the only one that actually doesn't use the whole video (there are portions at the sides of a deeper black, as I've already seen also in other games with particular resolutions), but every single one of them displays the menu graphics in a 16:9 space, some of them on the top and others in the middle.

Oh, I also realized the "is the resolution working? you have N second to choose "ok" before the former resolution is restored" window won't show up every single time I change the resolution, I've seen it only 2 times trying all of them. Could it be it's because it won't actually ask me about it for the resolution the game knows I've already set in the past (when I launched the game the first time I tried a couple of them)?

hirukaru
10th Nov 2013, 20:33
The resolution you posted are those the ones you see in game?

I have 2 check you point 2. Will do that later

LOFO1993
10th Nov 2013, 20:41
Yes, just these, nothing else. And no indication of corresponding ratio, if you have one.

hirukaru
10th Nov 2013, 21:50
No i also dont have ratio putted these in my self. I got a 16:9 screen. But lets wait for dev to reply

Toons
4th Dec 2013, 11:53
I also have this problem, it's very tough to read the text in chat, also the same for the info on my character/armory/abilities/shop etc.

My resolution is 1360 x 768. 42ins screen.

RainaAudron
4th Dec 2013, 12:03
Yeah, I agree, the font is really small on 1366x768

lucinvampire
4th Dec 2013, 12:06
I have a similar issue, the font size in the lobby chat seems ok now I’ve got used to it but it appeared very small to begin with. The text chat as you said is very small and very hard to read – sometimes I can’t even make it out. I think maybe if the font in the text chat was bold it might make it a bit clearer if the sizes can’t be amended.

I wonder if though it is because we’re using bigger screens, I run through my HD TV also so there is a bit of distance between me and the screen, whereas if on the laptop it might appear clearer because it’d be right in face…hmmm

Strike5150
4th Dec 2013, 13:14
+1 I'm also of the mind that text needs to be bigger.

hirukaru
4th Dec 2013, 20:23
:| Am I the only one that has no trouble with the fonts.

Lucky me :) (1920 x 1080 Full screen user) With I think pretty good eyes then.
Maby an option to change font size instead of perm increase?

Strike5150
4th Dec 2013, 21:56
Its not that we can't read it but that we barly notice while playing the game that someone typed something.

LauraOrganaSolo
23rd Jan 2014, 18:59
I have this problem as well and I'm running in 4:3 on a 19" monitor (View Sonic VA903b) and a GeForce GTX 460. Running Nosgoth in my native resolution of 1280 x 1024. No issues in any other games and no issues when I enter an actual match but it makes the menu look weird.

I (pointlessly) created an illustration just in case.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/lmh42/the-void-of-nosgoth_zps8ce2f507.png`

Oroibahazopi
23rd Jan 2014, 19:14
iirc UE doesn't officially support 4:3 res any more.

LOFO1993
24th Jan 2014, 07:55
I (pointlessly) created an illustration just in case.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/lmh42/the-void-of-nosgoth_zps8ce2f507.png`

That's exactly what I see.

iirc UE doesn't officially support 4:3 res any more.

Games do, actually. I have a bunch of recently released games and they all allow native 4:3 interface.

Oroibahazopi
24th Jan 2014, 08:04
UE games? I dunno what I'm thinking of then.

LOFO1993
24th Jan 2014, 08:19
4:3 has not "been abandoned" in the sense that nobody uses it ever anymore. They probably don't sell 4:3 monitors, that's true, but many TV channels (talking about Italy at least), games and other stuff still use it.

I think every single game I ever played on PC was native or settable for 4:3, the latest being Rome 2 (if there is ONE thing working in that game...) and War Thunder.

I imagine the developers of Nosgoth just didn't work on it yet, or maybe decided that the 16:9 menu would just be OK for 4:3 monitors too, which to be honest is not false at all, I can definitively play like this (and, BTW, the game itself sets interface and all for 4:3), but my thought was going to those that may have a smaller/****tier 4:3 monitor than mine, because then I can see some serious difficulties in reading the smallest pieces of text.

AbWill
24th Jan 2014, 08:28
Hi all, my apologies if this has been posted already. (I work 10/11 hours a day so don't have a lot of time to read the whole board). I'm running a GTX660ti sli rig with spanning across 3 screens, total resolution of 3480 x 1024. The main ui on first loading displays good height, but is sitting leftmost on the span and doesn't centralise. The initial loading logos and game logo centralise fine, after that the ui background seems to fit the span nicely, just the ui interface that's sat to the left.

LauraOrganaSolo
25th Jan 2014, 01:16
I imagine the developers of Nosgoth just didn't work on it yet, or maybe decided that the 16:9 menu would just be OK for 4:3 monitors too, which to be honest is not false at all, I can definitively play like this (and, BTW, the game itself sets interface and all for 4:3), but my thought was going to those that may have a smaller/****tier 4:3 monitor than mine, because then I can see some serious difficulties in reading the smallest pieces of text.

Yep. Definitely something for them to work on though. I don't think 4:3 is quite a minority just yet.

Angelos_Sanguinum
7th Mar 2014, 15:26
Font size is too small on 4:3 scale, its hard to read.
So I run game in 1152x864 resolution as usual, for better fps and you can see what I see in this file :
http://i33.fastpic.ru/big/2014/0307/cc/4e7a6393c41dbb3ac41f11e11a1db3cc.jpg (you can't see it without direct link)
I think devs can tweak font size to larger one, thanks.

Also 1280x1024 resolution is not present in my graphics menu and i can't set it to test 5:4 scale, but other games run in 1280x1024 just fine.

LauraOrganaSolo
8th Mar 2014, 06:17
I've been complaining about this since January. I realize 4:3 is a little dated but it seems a bit extreme to rule it out entirely. I can't even fit a 16x9 monitor on my desk and now isn't really a good time for me to buy new furniture just because one game doesn't support my slightly dated monitor's resolution.

Tlaugghicat
6th May 2014, 18:03
I use 1280x1024 resolution and all menus take only half of the screen. It makes text really hard to read, especially with new item tooltips. Ingame HUD is normal.
I tried to change resolutions, but it didn't help.

MrSWAT_ua
4th Jul 2014, 16:59
Terrible font in 1280*1024
Hello everyone! I have a problem with my resolution and text in the game. My poor eyes... Just look by yourself at the screenshots.

http://savepic.ru/5199461.png
http://savepic.ru/5237348.png
http://savepic.ru/5239396.png
http://savepic.ru/5228132.png
http://savepic.ru/5247283.png

Can you fix this? The game is good, but...

MrSWAT_ua
5th Jul 2014, 17:23
Any solution?..

FireWorks_
6th Jul 2014, 10:25
I dont see your problem on the screenshots tbh.

It looks all pretty similar to my 1920*1080.

Can you mark or specify your problem a bit?

MrSWAT_ua
6th Jul 2014, 15:44
So, that's a global problem.
The text is unreadble! Menu buttons, class description and other. It's too small and dark. Maybe there is a way to change it? With user mod or something.

Guys from Psyonix, are you here? Save our eyes, please.

Bazielim
6th Jul 2014, 16:35
Personally I'd have to say I'm with Fireworks - I don't see much of a problem - I can read all of the text on your screens and mine quite comfortably. I know the bottom line indicates that it's intended for a wider screen and that are some UI changes coming in soon, but not sure what effect those will have. Of course I'm only a mod so I can't tell you specifically what the devs have planned or whether they have a better handle on this issue.

MrSWAT_ua
7th Jul 2014, 12:11
Asked few people about subj, they confirm that the font is not enough comfortable to read, I hope devs will do simething with that issue, because I realy don't want to leave Nosgoth, but my eyes can't hold any more.

So, I found that in 1080p font looks perfect. The problem is in aspect ratio or/and in resolution. I hope devs will not forget about 4:3.

FireWorks_
7th Jul 2014, 14:11
Can you describe the problem again please, why is it unreadable? I really cant tell from your screenshots on my monitor. It would be nice if you can help me out a little so we can get this sorted together.

MrSWAT_ua
7th Jul 2014, 17:49
Ok, here is screenshot from 1080p monitor. Text looks great.
http://piccy.info/view3/6663178/d05b4a57098b53eea1a4160d10a9d450/orig/
On my resolution (1280*1024) the game uses some kind of downscaling, so text became small and unreadable.

The broblem is in aspect ratio and resolution, I think. The game is made to run on 16:9 monitors, pretty much with FHD resolution.

SanDiv
7th Aug 2014, 10:11
The tip window for the human daily perk (Deadeye) is not fully diplayed on the first screen of the game.
My screen is 1920x1080.
See here. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY9qEqo2dTo)

FireWorks_
7th Aug 2014, 10:38
Why not just post a screenshot?

DesolatedMaggot
8th Aug 2014, 01:40
Throwing my hat in here. Please fix this. Latest patch helped a lot with main menus and whatnot but it's still pretty bad. Lobby and in-game chat is totally unchanged. Reading text is literally a strain on the eyes and gives me a headache, not to mention sometimes damn near pure guess work since many letters often have absent pixels.

Edit: I'm running in 1024x768. Max and native resolution for my monitor. (I know its old but it runs perfectly, seems a real waste to toss it just because)