PDA

View Full Version : Saving options

est1856
6th Jun 2007, 10:42
Because of the save options I need to replay the best part of a level, having reached almost the end, and saving to play later. The save game puts me back at the begining, when I'd saved it near the end, WHY???? Why the hell can't I save at any point.

This has put me off playing the game because if I save at any point, it'll just put me back to a previous checkpoint. :mad2:

The original TR series had the option of saving anywhere, so why is it so difficult to impliment it in this game?

Signed: a very pissed off player. :rolleyes:

aussie500
6th Jun 2007, 10:46
You can save at any checkpoint till you complete the game. after that it will probably put you back at the start of the level, l forgot to check before restarting another game. l have no idea if you can save when replaying a level, l only do time trials that way. l can think of no level where the end of the level is that close to the first checkpoint.

munchkin
6th Jun 2007, 11:37
Because of the save options I need to replay the best part of a level, having reached almost the end, and saving to play later. The save game puts me back at the begining, when I'd saved it near the end, WHY???? Why the hell can't I save at any point.

This has put me off playing the game because if I save at any point, it'll just put me back to a previous checkpoint. :mad2:

The original TR series had the option of saving anywhere, so why is it so difficult to impliment it in this game?

Not ont he consoles they did not, the first TR on which TRA is based had save crystals placed throughout the level and it added something to the gameplay to eek laras health along till the next save crystal, one reason why to this day i prefer playing TR1 on playstation if possible rather than the too easy pc version, i mean really saving whenever one wishes where is the fun in that ;)

Seriously dude the original TR series for consoles had varying saveing methods indeed most games today have checkpoints or save points rather than a "save whenever" because it does add to the gameplay to be desperate to find a save/checkpoint area.

TR1 - save crystals (finite in number and you could only use them where they were placed)

TR2- save whereever you wished

TR3- collectable save crystals, still a finite number but you could use them where you felt best in a level.

TR4- save whereever.

can't recall the rest but i think TRC was a save whereever.

and imho those games with a save wherever lost an important aspect of the gameplay, even TR2 which is by far my personal fav TR game (to date)

i like the CP system if you pass a CP even without manual saving and then die you will be started back at that CP, but if you do manual save and put of before reaching another CP then you will go back to the last passed CP.

Again much like many other games both past and present, console or PC even.

beccaxx

aussie500
6th Jun 2007, 11:58
It is also possible the auto save was not recognised for some reason, when you go back to the start can you load the game you saved?

Rai
6th Jun 2007, 12:00
I don't understand. If you save the game after a checkpoint or anywhere really, when you reload you should be taken back to the last checkpoint before the save. I can't see why you would be taken back to the beginning.

Saving this way doesn't bother me too much. The checkpoints are spaced out better than they were in Legend but still not too far apart so you don't have to redo a bunch of stuff. I actually feel grateful for checkpoints during playing and I keep dying in the same spot.

aussie500
6th Jun 2007, 12:03
It should work that way, but there seem to be a few bugs that crop up now and then :(

ColdBlueSun
6th Jun 2007, 13:30
i mean really saving whenever one wishes where is the fun in that

Try playing checkpoint based games when you have a baby. Then you'll be cursing for save anywhere anytime.

Leak
6th Jun 2007, 14:42

Try playing checkpoint based games when you have a baby. Then you'll be cursing for save anywhere anytime.
Isn't that exactly what the standby/hibernate mode is for?

np: Von Südenfed - That Sound Wiped (Tromatic Reflexxions)

MrE26
6th Jun 2007, 15:01
The game has tons of checkpoints, there's no way you should be needing to replay much at all after you reload. I think they got the saving system just right actually.

ColdBlueSun
6th Jun 2007, 15:38
I don't use hibernate/standby mode. It can do horrible things to PCs. Besides that, it takes up far too much harddrive space. Not to mention that little fingers can tap the oh too sensitive power switch on my PC and bugger up my work. So no. Hibernate/standby is a no go. As is leaving the PC on for long periods of time with a graphics intensive game running. Temperatures in my part of world have a very bad effect on PCs too. Already lost one primary harddrive to a brutal summer - it literally melted. Not losing another one.

Deekman
6th Jun 2007, 16:34
...imho those games with a save wherever lost an important aspect of the gameplay...
I know exactly what you mean.
I've always played on a Mac, so I could save anywhere.
But it always makes me feel just a little guilty at the ease with which it takes to play in this fashion.
Later this summer, I'll be playing Anniversary on my first Playstation and I won't have that "save anywhere" option. I guess I'm in for a challenge!
And isn't that what it's all about?

LisaB1962
6th Jun 2007, 16:39
Depends on what you mean by challenge, you know? For some people, the challenge in Tomb Raider wasn't the doing, it was figuring out what to do. So saving anywhere doesn't ruin the challenge for them, it just keeps them from giving up and turning off the game in frustration.

Privateer1
7th Jun 2007, 09:38
It would be very handy, to have a quick save, I'm doing that double wall run in Egypt, I keep falling, if I could quick save after the first grapple and if I fall, hit quick load, instead I have to do a lot.

so I understand exactly why est1856. is pissed off.

in a walthrough,

"Use the two golden rings to reach the other side, by successively grappling on to them. This will either give you a lot of headaches, or you'll manage it on your first try. "

I forgot about this, the cheating console lets you use F7 and F8.

F7 - Save Position
--------------------------------------
As name says it, stop in a spot - let's say right before a tricky jump - and hit F7. Try to jump, and if you see you didn't make it through - half-way through, not when dead - hit F8 to get yourself back @ the saved position ;)

F8 - Load Position
--------------------------------------
Considering you saved at least one position, use this key to return Lara to it ;)

good luck.

http://******************************/tomb-raider-anniversary-cheats/trainer/

ColdBlueSun
7th Jun 2007, 13:32
That trainer rocks. Just for the save function (I'm one who sees the challenge in working out how to do a problem, not in dying 5000 times to actually do it). And it's the first trainer I've ever seen that works with the Steam version of game. So double yay!

Atheist
7th Jun 2007, 14:32
I agree. Please bring back the 'save whenever you wish' option. We've always had it with PC except with Legend and Anniversary. Checkpoints are a bad idea. Imagine fighting an incredibly hard monster, then jumping over to the next checkpoint, missing the jump, dying - and having to fight it all over again. That could all be avoided by being able to save after or in the middle of a fight.

Rai
7th Jun 2007, 15:28
I agree. Please bring back the 'save whenever you wish' option. We've always had it with PC except with Legend and Anniversary. Checkpoints are a bad idea. Imagine fighting an incredibly hard monster, then jumping over to the next checkpoint, missing the jump, dying - and having to fight it all over again. That could all be avoided by being able to save after or in the middle of a fight.

There doesn't appear to be a problem with that. Granted I've only completed two boss fights, The T Rex and the Centaurs, but after each of these there is a checkpoint as soon as you have finished, so no need to redo if you do die before the next checkpoint. And if you save straight away after the checkpoint, even better if you want to stop play altogether after the fight.

I don't have a problem with the checkpoints in this game - they come in handy. I haven't felt the need to save in-between each one. So the fact that If you save directly after the checkpoint, you don't have too much ground to cover on reloading. :)

Atheist
7th Jun 2007, 15:43
There doesn't appear to be a problem with that. Granted I've only completed two boss fights, The T Rex and the Centaurs, but after each of these there is a checkpoint as soon as you have finished, so no need to redo if you do die before the next checkpoint. And if you save straight away after the checkpoint, even better if you want to stop play altogether after the fight.

It was only example. Okay, well what about if (like I used to do in many TR games) you want to jump off a very high platform to a certain death, just for fun? You can't. Because if you die, you'll have to repeat everything from the last checkpoint again. If you could save (like we used to do) you could easily do this, reload, and carry on.

Privateer1
7th Jun 2007, 16:06
It was only example. Okay, well what about if (like I used to do in many TR games) you want to jump off a very high platform to a certain death, just for fun? You can't. Because if you die, you'll have to repeat everything from the last checkpoint again. If you could save (like we used to do) you could easily do this, reload, and carry on.

A very good argument, I think it should be looked at in a Patch.

est1856
7th Jun 2007, 17:06
Seriously dude

What? :rolleyes:

Where is the fun in having to keep replaying a long series of events in order to get one difficult jump right.

Thanks, thats helpful.

Depends on what you mean by challenge, you know? For some people, the challenge in Tomb Raider wasn't the doing, it was figuring out what to do. So saving anywhere doesn't ruin the challenge for them, it just keeps them from giving up and turning off the game in frustration.

Thankyou. :thumbsup:

It would be very handy, to have a quick save, I'm doing that double wall run in Egypt, I keep falling, if I could quick save after the first grapple and if I fall, hit quick load, instead I have to do a lot.

so I understand exactly why est1856. is pissed off.

Thankyou: :thumbsup:

Yeah, this happened in the fight with the T-Rex, I saved it near the end just incase I ran out of health packs. I did, and the save put me right back at the begining of the T-Rex fight.

Privateer1
7th Jun 2007, 17:51
use this for saving.

est1856
7th Jun 2007, 18:34
use this for saving.
Thanks, that is great. :thumbsup:
Which one though?

tra2_trn.zip (for the 4.58MB exe) - Also works with Steam version.
tras2_trn.zip (for the 19MB exe)

the EXE is 8.93mb

Privateer1
7th Jun 2007, 18:44
Thanks, that is great. :thumbsup:
Which one though?

tra2_trn.zip (for the 4.58MB exe) - Also works with Steam version.
tras2_trn.zip (for the 19MB exe)

the EXE is 8.93mb

I dunno, you'll have to ask their support, ****************************** team its good I got answered every-time.

ask here.
http://******************************/tomb-raider-anniversary-about/contact/

est1856
7th Jun 2007, 22:04
Ok tried both of them, none of them saved, or reloaded. :(

If someone just has a save of just before the last gate to open in Tomb of Qualopec, i'd be very grateful.

Sentience
8th Jun 2007, 02:19
Just to let you people know, there's a fly tool and a loader available for download at the same site. Recently added o_O. Have fun :D

ColdBlueSun
8th Jun 2007, 11:07
Originally Posted by ColdBlueSun

Actually, I didn't originally post that. I quoted it when adding my reply. As such,

Where is the fun in having to keep replaying a long series of events in order to get one difficult jump right.

I agree, there is no fun in that. And I never said there was. Just like there is no fun in doing all that, and then have your baby start crying - and while you go tend to her, the darn fuses blow out due to a thunder storm.

Let me tell you. That is not fun. And it's happened twice now. =/

L3ggy
8th Jun 2007, 11:12
I think this saving thingy is better than the save everywhere.

Privateer1
8th Jun 2007, 11:24
Just to let you people know, there's a fly tool and a loader available for download at the same site. Recently added o_O. Have fun :D

now I can finish the game using that, its very good, congrats to the team for the work they do, :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

munchkin
8th Jun 2007, 16:29
What? :rolleyes:

Well if you tried quoting the entire sentance then you'd know what wouldn't you? :p

So the full sentance is....
Seriously dude the original TR series for consoles had varying saveing methods indeed most games today have checkpoints or save points rather than a "save whenever" because it does add to the gameplay to be desperate to find a save/checkpoint area.

Which means something entirly different than if i'd only said ""Seriously dude..."

You did a similar thing to another poster one who was actually agreeing with you as well. Might be worth slowing down your replies and gettign the quotes right in future. :) cheers.

beccaxx

munchkin
8th Jun 2007, 16:42

And for most of us it is both the figuring out and the doing. I know many here try to make it into a issue of "either one lieks the doing or one likes the figuring it out ..... but honestly most gamers of adventure games such as TR like both and this is where checkpoints are good.

And frankly the checkpoints in TRA are so close together that in all honesty we do not need to be able to save whenever. Although as the guys above have piinted there are downloads for those playing on PCs (who seem to be the ones maoning about saving the most) to save whenever, so the choice is there.

beccaxx

LisaB1962
8th Jun 2007, 17:01
But downloads aren't your game, you know? It's their game--their pickups, relics, etc. So if you're looking to "do it yourself," downloading a save game is not a good option. I usually only see people ask for a save when they're completely frustrated by a particular part in the game.

With that said, I have made it more of a point to save every once and a while a certain checkpoints. I didn't do this in Legend, and I paid a high price. However, since the checkpoints are unmarked and only one way in some cases, you can get stuck redoing lots. I went all the way back for the shotgun, then died before hitting another checkpoint. Had to go all the way back again.

With that said, I think four save files is terribly low. Most games give you tons of slots for saves now.

est1856
8th Jun 2007, 17:40
Well if you tried quoting the entire sentance then you'd know what wouldn't you? :p

So the full sentance is....

Which means something entirly different than if i'd only said ""Seriously dude..."

You did a similar thing to another poster one who was actually agreeing with you as well. Might be worth slowing down your replies and gettign the quotes right in future. :) cheers.

beccaxx

No need to get self rightous, I was questioning your use of the word 'dude' which is not what I am. :rolleyes: cheers.

Sentience
8th Jun 2007, 19:25
Working on making the Load/Save skip the wall hits :D Will be up shortly...

munchkin
8th Jun 2007, 22:52
No need to get self rightous, I was questioning your use of the word 'dude' which is not what I am. :rolleyes: cheers.

Self righteous? :lol: :lol: :lol: dear do grow up, there is nothing self righteous about requesting someone to a) be clear in what they are quoting b) be clear the point they are making, especially when they are referencing someones post.

So how about just asking direct questions? Or is that too much to ask?

And in answer to the non-direct practically obscure question.....

Dude is a generic term used for males AND females in modern culture, ;)

bx

munchkin
8th Jun 2007, 23:12
But downloads aren't your game, you know? It's their game--their pickups, relics, etc. So if you're looking to "do it yourself," downloading a save game is not a good option. I usually only see people ask for a save when they're completely frustrated by a particular part in the game.

With that said, I have made it more of a point to save every once and a while a certain checkpoints. I didn't do this in Legend, and I paid a high price. However, since the checkpoints are unmarked and only one way in some cases, you can get stuck redoing lots. I went all the way back for the shotgun, then died before hitting another checkpoint. Had to go all the way back again.

With that said, I think four save files is terribly low. Most games give you tons of slots for saves now.

Well the four save slots is another matter entirly but even that is not unusual these days.

Thing is gamers all like different methods of saving, PC gamers and console gamers, and both. No-one is going to be 100% happy with anything the game developers do. Regular checkpoints combined with manual saves are a pretty good compromise and if you let it , it will add to your enjoyment of the game.

In many ways the save point system takes one back to the heady days of the Amiga adventures....

beccaxx

est1856
9th Jun 2007, 17:14
Self righteous? :lol: :lol: :lol: dear do grow up, there is nothing self righteous about requesting someone to a) be clear in what they are quoting b) be clear the point they are making, especially when they are referencing someones post.

So how about just asking direct questions? Or is that too much to ask?

And in answer to the non-direct practically obscure question.....

Dude is a generic term used for males AND females in modern culture, ;)

bx

I have no clue what you are talking about.

rabid metro
9th Jun 2007, 20:40
the save system only needs to be convenient ...
it doesn't need to conform to anyones strategy for playing the game,
nor should you be able to form strategies based on loopholes in the save system.

in TRA, the checkpoint system with four save slots works well
and avoids creating unintended advantages that clever players could exploit. :cool:

if this were to change, it would be because someone has taken the time to present an objective argument
using dis/advantages to the Tomb Raiding community as opposed to an argument
based on a specific players wants/needs/likes.

nothing beats a discussion forum when it comes to (mostly useless) "i'm right and you're wrong" talk ...
just my sheckles worth ...

They say that nobody wants to save the bad times.
They say that a save in time avoids stitches.

est1856
9th Jun 2007, 21:02
the save system only needs to be convenient ...
it doesn't need to conform to anyones strategy for playing the game,
nor should you be able to form strategies based on loopholes in the save system.

in TRA, the checkpoint system with four save slots works well
and avoids creating unintended advantages that clever players could exploit. :cool:

if this were to change, it would be because someone has taken the time to present an objective argument
using dis/advantages to the Tomb Raiding community as opposed to an argument
based on a specific players wants/needs/likes.

nothing beats a discussion forum when it comes to (mostly useless) "i'm right and you're wrong" talk ...
just my sheckles worth ...

They say that nobody wants to save the bad times.
They say that a save in time avoids stitches.

And quite a hum dinger of sheckles it is too. :thumbsup:

In all honesty, it seems that the save system works for some and not for others. Ain't that always the way.
And sometimes the board is just for letting off steam when one gets frustrated by a the game.
I thank everyone for their participation. ;)

munchkin
9th Jun 2007, 23:08
I have no clue what you are talking about.

nevermind obviously your better at being rude than recognising when to stop..... short version don't fling around accusations of self righteousness for perfectly reasoanble requests IE the request you quote properly and ask direct questions instead of trying to be rude.

And your issue with the use of the term "dude" in view of you i assume being female is a none starter as "dude" in net and modern usage can be male OR female.

for anymore i suggest you look up both dude and definatly you need to look up netiquette on google.

bx

Grieyls
10th Jun 2007, 00:01
Don't do that :eek: , you do realise the original meaning of the word right? :nut:

munchkin
10th Jun 2007, 00:12
The term "dude" is best known as a widely-used English slang word commonly used to informally address or refer to a person of the male sex. The word may also be used in the same manner when speaking to (or about) a person of the female sex.

above from wiki.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/dude

[Origin unknown.]
Our Living Language Cowboys and the Wild West are indelibly set in the minds of many as typical of Americaan association borne out by several common Modern English words that originated in the speech of the 19th-century western United States. One is dude, now perhaps most familiar as a slang term with a wide range of uses (including use as an all-purpose interjection for expressing approval: "Dude!"). Originally it was applied to fancy-dressed city folk who went out west on vacation. In this usage it first appears in the 1870s. The origin of the word is not known, but a number of other cowboy terms were borrowed by early settlers from American Spanish. These include buckaroo, corral, lasso, mustang, ranch, rodeo, and stampede. Buckaroo, interestingly, is an example of a word borrowed twice: it is an Americanized form of Spanish vaquero, which also made it into English as vaquero, a cowboy.

dude
1883, "fastidious man," New York City slang of unknown origin. The vogue word of 1883, originally used in ref. to the devotees of the "aesthetic" craze, later applied to city slickers, especially Easterners vacationing in the West (dude ranch first recorded 1921). Surfer slang application to any male is first recorded c.1970. Female form dudine (1883) has precedence over dudess (1885).

Possible main origin from German word for "fool" but this meaning has fallen out of usage even in the late 1800's and definatly out of regular usage in modern times and the term is now used as the quote from wiki suggests.

I can not beleive i am giving an impromtu etymology lesson in the days of "google" it is so easy to look this stuff up that if anyone feels offended at a word they can just look it up before responding. or just ask a simple question.

Ironic indeed one could say.

beccaxx

Grieyls
10th Jun 2007, 00:29
No, no... I meant the other meaning :p

Of course we do seem to be moving away from the topic of this thread :eek:

Sentience
10th Jun 2007, 01:28
You dudes and dudettes are sick. Try to chill down for a minute :D Plus, you're wayy off-topic by now....

L3ggy
10th Jun 2007, 01:34
So let's get to topic shall we dudes, and dudettes.

est1856
10th Jun 2007, 06:51
nevermind obviously your better at being rude than recognising when to stop.....

:lol: :lol: :lol: How entertaining. :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW I like your MySpace page, very cool. ;) cheers.

Bampire
10th Jun 2007, 07:13
Not ont he consoles they did not, the first TR on which TRA is based had save crystals placed throughout the level and it added something to the gameplay to eek laras health along till the next save crystal, one reason why to this day i prefer playing TR1 on playstation if possible rather than the too easy pc version, i mean really saving whenever one wishes where is the fun in that ;)

TR1 - save crystals (finite in number and you could only use them where they were placed)

TR2- save whereever you wished

TR3- collectable save crystals, still a finite number but you could use them where you felt best in a level.

TR4- save whereever.

can't recall the rest but i think TRC was a save whereever.

and imho those games with a save wherever lost an important aspect of the gameplay, even TR2 which is by far my personal fav TR game (to date)

i like the CP system if you pass a CP even without manual saving and then die you will be started back at that CP, but if you do manual save and put of before reaching another CP then you will go back to the last passed CP.

Again much like many other games both past and present, console or PC even.

beccaxx

TRC is save anywhere.

redfox45
10th Jun 2007, 10:23
I feel your pain

LisaB1962
11th Jun 2007, 04:18
Here is a very valid reason the checkpoint system works against you.

They're UNMARKED. Therefore you have no control over when your game is saved, and it can save it in very unhappy spots.

I'm in the first room in the Folly, and I missed a jump. I hit the ground taking huge health hit. No problem, I think, I got a checkpoint right before that jump in the constellation room. I'll just climb one of the columns and kill Lara, and return to a more healthy state.

Except of course, on the way across to the tall column, I hit a stealth checkpoint. Now I have to use a medipak or redo a lot from my last save. :mad2:

And four save files is horrible. I haven't played a console game with four save files in forever. Heck, I had thirty in Silent Hill 3! Of course, even I think that was overboard, but most games I play allow you many more than four.

L3ggy
11th Jun 2007, 05:02
THIRTY?!?!?!?! cool.

LisaB1962
11th Jun 2007, 05:17
Meh, I thought it was a bit of overkill, but Silent Hill is one of those series where choices affect gameplay, so I suppose it helps folks who like to keep their options open. :D

Josep
11th Jun 2007, 07:01
Thinks I do not like of Check Points:

1. If you like investigation, trying to find "secrets", often Lara dies or falls to a lower place (100 jumps far from the point). You must choose! Try and probably die and redo all again to try again, or just don't do it and look for the "safest" movement.

2. Scenario: Opening my mind and accepting the CP option. In this case the CP needs to be carefully placed. I remember a few times where there are really frustrating. Example: In the great pyramid, falling in sychronizing the timed movements results in the anoying need of figth again with the winged atlanteans. Which is the benefit of repeat not only the timed jumps? From my point of view this are two different tasks to complete! Repeat 60 times the jumps can be done in 30', repeat 60 times all takes much longer!

Suggestion: Let the player choose wich option prefers as we can choose the dificluty (easy, normal or dificult and classic).

L3ggy
11th Jun 2007, 07:04
I agree about the timed jumps.

LisaB1962
11th Jun 2007, 07:06
With the continuous format they're using now, I think the God of War save system would work well. You have unmarked checkpoints that can save you repetitive redoing, but official save points you can return to and save.

est1856
11th Jun 2007, 07:53
Suggestion: Let the player choose wich option prefers as we can choose the dificluty (easy, normal or dificult and classic).

I agree with you. Some players might prefer checkpoints, so why not give a choice to those who don't.

Werner Von Croy
11th Jun 2007, 14:44

The original TR didn't you had save crystals it was TR2, 4 and 5 you could save anywhere you wanted. I find them useful to be honest, if you're low on health save at checkpoint, reload and if like magic Lara has full health:o

est1856
11th Jun 2007, 18:23
The original TR didn't you had save crystals it was TR2, 4 and 5 you could save anywhere you wanted. I find them useful to be honest, if you're low on health save at checkpoint, reload and if like magic Lara has full health:o

Are you sure? I played it on the PC and certainly remember saving at any point. Has it been so long that i've simply forgot? I might just have to blow the dust off and see for myself. :D

munchkin
11th Jun 2007, 18:25
Crystals were for the PS1 (and i think saturn) the PCers were entering the era of spoiling for players and got the "save anywhere" option.

Thankfully games are starting to mix it up some more and return to save points and checkpoints a bit more, even for PCs.

;)

beccaxx

Werner Von Croy
11th Jun 2007, 18:28
Are you sure? I played it on the PC and certainly remember saving at any point. Has it been so long that i've simply forgot? I might just have to blow the dust off and see for myself. :D

My apologies i have only ever played it on saturn and Playstation, never played it on PC before, so didn't know :lmao:

est1856
11th Jun 2007, 18:29
My apologies i have only ever played it on saturn and Playstation, never played it on PC before, so didn't know :lmao:

Phew! thanks for the quick reply, I was just inserting it into the drive too. :lol:

11th Jun 2007, 18:30
Well count yourself lucky, if it was real life you'd only have ONE chance to make the jump :rasp: .

est1856
11th Jun 2007, 18:43
Well count yourself lucky, if it was real life you'd only have ONE chance to make the jump :rasp: .

Oh come on! if I didn't spend so much time redoing a series of jumps because I couldn't save at the point I wanted to, I could have spent that valuable time sifting through my junk mail. :mad2: