PDA

View Full Version : Cannot use the grapple successfully !!!

curlersareus
5th Jun 2007, 21:28
Hi all I have played almost every Tomb raider game on the PC & enjoyed the lot. I have come across a problem for me in Anniversary which is in the initial stages of the game I have great difficulty with using the Grapple to swing over the void . The grapple does not stick to the metal ring & falls back most of the time to Lara & she goes over the edge . I managed it once & went on to the bit above the big wooden doors with the guide underneath & I cannot get the Grapple to work. Very frustrating .. Can anyone please tell me of the precise way of using the Grapple on the PC as help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ............

5th Jun 2007, 21:31
The grapple has loads of problems on PS2 too :mad2: . The best advice to give you is not to press the grapple button as soon as you jump, but time it so as she starts to fall you shoot the grapple. Good luck :thumbsup: !

curlersareus
5th Jun 2007, 21:45
Hi Thanks for the reply & the advice. I will give it a try .........

5th Jun 2007, 21:46
Hope it works out well for you!

sophie22
5th Jun 2007, 21:49
oddly enough i havent had much of a problem with using the grapple in its basic form of just swinging back and forth (not side to side) , i must just have the knack for it, except sometimes it doesnt respond to pressing square, although i swear i did

Rai
5th Jun 2007, 22:23
I'm mostly okay with the basic grapple. It's those pesky wall runs I have a problem with or if you have to quickly let go and grapple to another ring in quick succession. This is frustrating:mad2:

curlersareus
6th Jun 2007, 21:33
Hi All thanks for the comments which are appreciated as the problem is very frustrating especially at the beginning of the game. I will keep trying & I see I'm not alone with this problem as ...mlabdscatz ...also reported today in this forum.
Moderator XCom of the technical forum where you closed my thread as you said it was not a technical problem -- I can understand you comments but I did not know if it was a technical problem or not when I posted the original threads which is why I posted it in both forums as I felt there would be someone somewhereto help with this frustration. As I have said above, other players are having similar problems with this !!!
thanks anyway...

Notts Raider
6th Jun 2007, 21:39
Hi All thanks for the comments which are appreciated as the problem is very frustrating especially at the beginning of the game. I will keep trying & I see I'm not alone with this problem as ...mlabdscatz ...also reported today in this forum.

Believe me when I say, "You're not alone" http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/1454/bruceh4hxd3.gif Many have the same problem, it really boils down to the timing and dexterity of those little digits you have on the end of your arms. http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/2959/arcadefreakof1.gif

CommanderZx2
6th Jun 2007, 21:43
Run, jump, hold down grapple key for a few moments for it to grab on and then press jump key when you wish to release to grab the other side.

Ruz
6th Nov 2007, 15:20
hmm I am jumping then pressing q to grapple to catch a wall ring. I am using the keyboard. Now look at where the q is on the keyboard.
Did anyone not just stop to think for 1 second that this was the wrong place ot put it ie a football field diatance away form the directional keys.
My left hand has to 'leap' this vast distance then zoom back again avoaid messing up.
I ahve tried configuring other keys to do this but none seem too easy. middle mouse button would e good if i didn't have a mouse wheel.:mad2:

Spong
6th Nov 2007, 17:22
Hi curlersareus :)

If you're playing the PC version of Anniversary, try just pressing jump twice. The first press makes Lara jump, the second press actually throws out the grapple, but ONLY if there's an available grapple point nearby. ;)

Hope that helps.

tiger
6th Nov 2007, 18:42
Combination Moves at Stella's (Grapple is down a bit) (http://www.tombraiders.net/stella/walks/controls/TRAcontrols.html#combo)

My "answer" to TRA flaky key-combos was to take an AHK "crowbar" to it.
(See my AutoHotKey message, below.) :cool:
And in my AHK code, I am still priming the grapple before the final throw?