PDA

View Full Version : USER INTERFACE Outlined Characters?

Syst3mzero
8th Nov 2013, 01:44
I played in the November 7th Alpha test and I couldn't really figure out what the coloured outlines mean,
I had assumed that the outlines meant friend (green) and foe (red) but then sometimes when allies were getting attacked they went red and sometimes enemies for no apparent reason were green.
I couldn't figure out if I had somehow missed the point of what the outlines were signalling or if it was a bug?

I assume I was meant to see them from great distances and through buildings as I always saw my own team and I could see enemy outlines if they were spotted by one of my allies.

As everyone had inconsistent outline colours it did become a bit of a pain when I was in the mid distance (close enough to get there but far enough that I couldn't make a definitive full visual check of what I was running at.

I hope it gets fixed if its a bug and if it is just overly complex can it be simplified to something like green allies, red enemies and white allies in distress?

Apart from the outline issue my testing was smooth, no connection problems other than the server issue that everyone had (the one that you extended the test because of), I didn't get stuck on anything, no log in problems, no walking through walls.

Compared to other Alphas I have played this game is far more finished, and overall I found it enjoyable.
Looking forward to the next test :)

SushiViking
8th Nov 2013, 01:58
Green = Healthy allies
Red = Heavily injured allies
Yellow = Marked enemies (for example, enemies inside reavers smokebomb).

I think this is it, I'm not entirely sure it's 100% correct though.

Syst3mzero
8th Nov 2013, 02:04
I saw no yellow though, and spotted enemies were mostly coming up red and occasionally green, allies were coming up mostly green and occasionally red, very confusing!

SushiViking
8th Nov 2013, 02:14
Are you sure? That does sound very weird. I'm fairly certain enemies should never light up in red, and especially not green.

Psyonix_Corey
8th Nov 2013, 02:27
Allies are green when full health and red when low.

We've had feedback before that this was confusing, though this is exactly how Left 4 Dead's outlines work (you see an ally outlined in Red and know they need protection). So we'll discuss adjusting it.

Syst3mzero
8th Nov 2013, 03:03
so are you saying I shouldn't have been seeing enemies with close proximity to allies in red then? because I was definitely seeing enemies in red through buildings if they were being attacked by or attacking allies, the reason I'm so sure they were enemies that I could see outlines for was that they were very obvious Tyrant outlines and I was human. plus one tyrant lit up with a green aura came charging round a corner at me, he was paces away from me so I could clearly see him and the green aura was still round him when he made me into a pavement pizza.

Sounds like I probably experienced a bug then.

I have to say I would prefer non red allies , a better indicator would be green for healthy fading to white for near dead that way you could link colour saturation to the aura.

SushiViking
8th Nov 2013, 10:02
Allies are green when full health and red when low.

We've had feedback before that this was confusing, though this is exactly how Left 4 Dead's outlines work (you see an ally outlined in Red and know they need protection). So we'll discuss adjusting it.
I think it's great as it is. As you said, that way you know an ally needs cover while he's running for a health station or who needs to feed the most. It makes pubbing much easier since there's less time for communication. If people have trouble understanding how it works, perhaps all that's needed is clarification somewhere what every colour means.

Strike5150
8th Nov 2013, 13:44
I'm pretty happy with it, once I figured out what they mean I was very happy to have them. If you look carefully you can tell the outline is friendly by its silhouette and animations.

Syst3mzero
8th Nov 2013, 17:14
I'm pretty happy with it, once I figured out what they mean I was very happy to have them. If you look carefully you can tell the outline is friendly by its silhouette and animations.

Yeah no offence and I'm not trying to be funny with you but you skimmed what I said. I gave an example that while I was playing as HUMAN a TYRANT lit up in GREEN stormed round a corner and stood in front of me so I could CLEARLY see he was a TYRANT which is a VAMPIRE that is obviously on the OTHER TEAM, As he KILLED me he was still LIT UP green.

You both seem to be insinuating that I'm having a hard time understanding the silhouettes or just not comprehending what they mean and its quite simple, you make it sound like I'm not paying attention.
Obviously if you read my actual descriptions and compare it to what Psyonix_Corey clarified the auras to mean then you can see why I'm confused as I was obviously seeing the Auras of both teams due to a bug.

hirukaru
8th Nov 2013, 22:52
Syst3m I have to say that it looks like you are offended.

Next time you see the aura of the enemy please press F12 screenshot (steam).
Put thuis on tour HDD and send to the upload page found in my known bug list.

Cause you now consider it a bug i will post it also in known list. Thanks for reporting.

Syst3mzero
8th Nov 2013, 23:47
No problem, will do if it happens again next test.

:)

Strike5150
9th Nov 2013, 15:05
Yeah no offence and I'm not trying to be funny with you but you skimmed what I said. I gave an example that while I was playing as HUMAN a TYRANT lit up in GREEN stormed round a corner and stood in front of me so I could CLEARLY see he was a TYRANT which is a VAMPIRE that is obviously on the OTHER TEAM, As he KILLED me he was still LIT UP green.

You both seem to be insinuating that I'm having a hard time understanding the silhouettes or just not comprehending what they mean and its quite simple, you make it sound like I'm not paying attention.
Obviously if you read my actual descriptions and compare it to what Psyonix_Corey clarified the auras to mean then you can see why I'm confused as I was obviously seeing the Auras of both teams due to a bug.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I would have quoted you if I was speaking directly about your post. I was more or less commenting on the system in general. Letting Psyonix know that I liked the system as is and didn't see the need for a change at the moment.

Syst3mzero
9th Nov 2013, 22:38
Sorry for the misunderstanding, I would have quoted you if I was speaking directly about your post. I was more or less commenting on the system in general. Letting Psyonix know that I liked the system as is and didn't see the need for a change at the moment.

My bad, sorry was feeling a bit irritable at the time so I blew it out of proportion.
Been a bit ill this week but should have known I was being too tetchy and taking offence really easy.

:( sorry

Syst3mzero
14th Nov 2013, 00:10
Well good news, in the 12/11 play I saw no outlines for the enemy and red green were working like they should for allies. I'm guessing I should have been able to see enemy health bars when they were in combat with my allies? I didn't get that on the 7/11 games so I just want to check.