PDA

View Full Version : Explain these graphics glitches

Zerith
5th Jun 2007, 14:52
Hey guys,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/Zerith/Whatsgoingon3.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/Zerith/Whatsgoingon2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/Zerith/Whatsgoingon-1.jpg

Look, I don't what is going on but I seem to get these graphics glitches all the time.
It does not directly affect gameplay (eg: I walk through them and it does not cause slow down)
but as you can see they make the game very irritating and difficult to play.

I've tried the following:

(1) Updating Graphics Card Drivers (using GeForce 7900 GT)
(2) Updating Direct X (Have 9 and latest)
(3) Making sure all connections to my HD TV are firm
(4) Changing all graphics and resolution details to the minimum

All of these attempts have not fixed the problem.
As you can tell, I really want to play this game but with these glitches it's pretty much impossible to enjoy.
Any suggestions at this stage would be very much appreciated!

~Zerith~

Leak
5th Jun 2007, 15:11
All of these attempts have not fixed the problem.
As you can tell, I really want to play this game but with these glitches it's pretty much impossible to enjoy.
Any suggestions at this stage would be very much appreciated!
That (bogus geometry) usually happens when the graphics RAM gets pushed too much/too hot.

Try to lower the memory clock of your card and see if it fixes things.

np: Anders Ilar - Ludwijka 9 (Ludwijka Extended Visit)

Zerith
5th Jun 2007, 15:17
Try to lower the memory clock of your card and see if it fixes things.

Any hints on how to do that. I'm quite computer literate but dont often fiddle with those kind of settings.

Thanks again for the reply by the way. Anything to fix this. I've discovered its doing the same with another game. but not as bad as it is on TR.

mikeysg
5th Jun 2007, 15:53
I thought little white spots are indications of RAM overheating, at least, that holds true for 3DMarks. Triangular artifacts like this is an indication of the core overheating. I'd suggest you remove you side-panel, take out the vid card and see if the fan's clogged up with dustbunnies. If it is, it's preventing the cooling fan from effectively cooling the core. Clear it and insert it back into its slot and see if this artifacting goes the way of the Dodo.;)

Zerith
5th Jun 2007, 16:08
Another great suggestion, I'll give that one a try seeing as I actually know how to do that! :nut:

Thanks Mikey. :thumbsup:

Will report the results shortly.

Zerith
5th Jun 2007, 17:25
Aaaaaaaaaaand no such luck.
Opened up the PC, dusted carefully, gave it a wee bit of keyhole surgery! :lol:

left it off to cool down for little over an hour. started Tomb Raider up and bam, problem persists.

Any other suggestions? (Please don't come out with the "buy a new system" reply as my PC is still in top form)

It's funny though, because Tomb Raider: Legand works perfect on my PC and I wouldn't say Anniversary was any more advanced.

~Zerith~

mikeysg
5th Jun 2007, 18:32
Aaaaaaaaaaand no such luck.
Opened up the PC, dusted carefully, gave it a wee bit of keyhole surgery! :lol:

left it off to cool down for little over an hour. started Tomb Raider up and bam, problem persists.

Any other suggestions? (Please don't come out with the "buy a new system" reply as my PC is still in top form)

It's funny though, because Tomb Raider: Legand works perfect on my PC and I wouldn't say Anniversary was any more advanced.

~Zerith~Have you checked with others who are using nVidia cards like yours? Barring an overheating core, it sounds like a driver issue then......have you tried another driver?:confused: Sometimes, a driver works well with one game but totally sucked for another.

Zerith
5th Jun 2007, 18:42
have you tried another driver

Well thing is, all my other games are fine bar Tomb Raider: Anniversary and one other. Even then, the problem hardly rises on the other game. I've been playing Anniversary trying to ignore it but you should have seen the T-rex fight... It was like shooting at a prehistoric jig-saw! :mad2:

I'd rather not muck around with my current configuration simply because I don't want anything else to mess up and i'm not that confident with drivers/command configs etc. I'll just try play through it and perhaps hope that this problem is address in some future patch. (IF it is graphics card related.)

Thanks for you help though Mike, you been a great help! :thumbsup:

mikeysg
5th Jun 2007, 18:51
You're welcome, bro! Always looking out for a fellow gamer......and from my past experience, I can only guess that it's a driver issue. Sorta like when I played FEAR with my 7950 GX2 (FW158.18, 32bit VISTA), I get screwed up shadows and such, I swapped driver a few times but the issue persisted. With my HD 2900XTs, it's absolutely perfect!!! I'll load TRA into my 2nd rig - AM2 X2 4200+/2GB DDR2 667/MSI K9N4 Ultra/XFX 7950 GX2 520M/32bit VISTA - and let you know if I see any glitch with that setup.;) What driver version are you on? Also, do you see these visual glitches everywhere? Or under certain conditions only? Need to know so I can keep a look out for them....

Zerith
5th Jun 2007, 19:28
The Glitches occour at any point at any time. Especially around areas with lots of models like erm, forests for example. Even during Cinematic Sequences like when Lara takes the Scion.
I find that turning the camera a certain direction makes them disappear but when i turn back to face them they appear again!

Sometimes when I alt+tab then sit on desktop for a short while, then go back into the game - theyre all gone. but 20 seconds later BAM theyre back!

(-) I'm using a GeForce 7900 GT with latest driver (not sure of the version but the filename of the driver i got says "94.24" if thats any help)
(-) I have 2GB of RAM
(-) AMD Athlon 3500+
(-) 2.21GHz

I know its not the FASTEST Rig, processor wise, but it handles everything i've fired at it. Vanguard included.

I thought maybe it had something to do with my High Def but then the question remains, Why only this game and not others of it's ilk. Tomb Raider: Legand for example, works great!
:scratch:

(Another Example)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/Zerith/Whatsgoingon4.jpg

tr1xp
5th Jun 2007, 22:05
The only time I have ever seen those kind of glitches was when my video card was fried (either the GPU itself or the memory on it). I've had 3 of them go bad over the years and they did exactly that. In my case it got worse and worse until there was no doubt it was fried within a day or 2 though. The whole screen would be filled with those artifacts after a while.

I've heard overheating can look like that too, but I have always had plenty of airflow in my rigs so, never had that issue. I assume you are not overclocking? I never overclock because all it does is burn out your card sooner for very little gain.

A couple things just as food for thought:

AGP Fast Writes = on or off? Try off if it's on.
Things running in the background? Could be anything from a virus scanner, to custom clock or part of a printer's software.
My gut tells me your video card is toast though.

Zerith
5th Jun 2007, 22:19
My gut tells me your video card is toast though.

Haha! I hope not!
Yeah MY PC is on a lot, but not anymore than every other gamer. Besides, My PC doesn't even get that hot. Got some good fans going plus I have a gaping hole where a CD-Drive used to be.

Still its only Anniversary that has the problem to this extent. I've got other top-range games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R for example and that runs amazingly with full graphics. As I also mentioned, Tomb Raider Legands has no problem running and it shares the same Graphics requirements as Anniversary.

I'm putting it down to A Driver problem as it stands, or maybe a guff instal. I havent tried Uninstalling and Re-installing yet. But i'm still open to suggestions. Yours, Trixp, has been noted but I hope your wrong or Zerith's gonna cry. :(

tr1xp
5th Jun 2007, 23:05
Yeah, I guess if TRL and Stalker do not do this then it is not fried. Assuming you have tested them since this started to confirm they still do not artifact like this.

Discordia666
5th Jun 2007, 23:21
I have to say that it LOOKS like an overheating graphics card. Though these are just static images so it's hard to tell. Do the glitches flicker and move about? When testing graphics overclocking using 3Dmark and the like, lines like this start to appear when you have gone too far and the card is overheating. When you back off the overclock, they go away. However, the lines you get under such cicumstances usually flicker about the screen and often look like they are radiating from the centre.
My girlfriend got a similar effect playing Serious Sam 2. It only happened on that one game. All others were fine. I slowed the card down and it stopped. Then I took the card out and removed her pet cat from the fan. Then she could clock it back up again without getting the glitches.
If the lines are static, I would think it less likely a hardware fault and more likely a driver issue. Those drivers are pretty new (31/05/07) and could have undiscovered bugs. You could try uninstalling them and installing an earlier version. She is currently running 93.71 with no problems and I found 91.47 very good previously. Both these are still available in nVidia's driver archive : http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/winxp-2k_archive_uk.html
Also there is a later version 101.17 This will have the 'new' nVidia control panel, which is horrible, though you can still enable the old panel in these I think.

tr1xp
5th Jun 2007, 23:48
Those drivers are pretty new (31/05/07) and could have undiscovered bugs.

I am also using the 9424's on my 7800GS and they are flawless for me. They even perform better than the other recent versions (8456, 160.03).

Zerith
6th Jun 2007, 00:10
Thanks for all the feedback gents!

Looks like the most common answer is overheating.

now for an important question!

How do I prevent overclocking? How do I change my settings to lower the stress on my system? (Ie: do I access this option through "My Computer" or do I need to instal some crummy 3rd party program to do it?)

*Heading off for the night just now but flood me with suggestions and i'll try em all in the morning! Thanks again, you guys have all been a great help :thumbsup: *

tr1xp
6th Jun 2007, 00:23
Well, if you didn't overclock it yourself, it is not overclocked. Overclocking is a mindless craze that it seems has become almost normal to people these days where you run software (like Riva Tuner), or make settings in your motherboard's BIOS to run hardware (CPUs, RAM, and video cards mainly) at faster clock speeds than intended. Usually it only gives you a tiny, little gain in performance but is almost guaranteed to shorten the life of your hardware, make it less stable, or outright fry it.

I simply don't do it. I mean nvidia is competing hard core with ATI, and AMD with Intel to have the highest clocked, fastest hardware out there. Do you people really think they left any room for safely over clocking this stuff? No. It's not worth getting 78 frames per second in some game instead of 75 when you toast a video card that would have lasted 5 years in 8 months (if you don't burn it up instantly).

Hell, my first Geforce 6800GT could not even handle its default clock speed! I got artifacts in Far Cry unless I actually underclocked it...I RMA'ed that turkey of course, but you see my point? It was not really "broken" and probably would have lasted ages if I ran it slightly below the stock clock speed. It just behaved like an overclocked card at stock clocks.

Discordia666
6th Jun 2007, 01:04
Hmmm. I would not necessarily agree with all of what tr1xp just said. I would not unreservedly recommend overclocking and, indeed, on some devices, the gain is marginal.
I have, however, achieved some very significant gains by overclocking. Some cards are sold close to their limits and you find you can only get them to go very slightly faster. In those cases, it's not worth it. But, contrary to what you just read, the manufacturers often build in quite substantial safety margins. They can't test every card they make to see what its limits are, so they test a statistical sample and set the clocks at speeds where they know that (nearly) all the cards are guaranteed to work. If you get lucky and buy a card with chips at the top end of the batch, you can get them to go a LOT faster. Vendors like XFX and BFG rely on this for their product. They buy up hand picked chips from the manufacturers at a premium and build cards that far exceed the original specification. I know. I've got one. Not only did it come clocked quite a bit higher than standard but, when I tried it, it went even faster. I get substantially higher frame rates than a standard card. I do take your point about shortening the life of the card, but I don't run the clocks right at the limits and I keep the card very cool. Trust me, this thing is fast. It was not, however, cheap!
With the rate at which PC games are advancing, I reckon to replace my graphics card about every 18 months anyway, so what do I care if it doesn't last 5 years. If you can't afford to do this, then DON'T overclock your card! :D

tr1xp
6th Jun 2007, 01:57
The 6800GT I mentioned not handling stock speeds...was a BFG 6800GT OC. Overclocked form the factory (which I don't consider overclocked because the slight OC was "stock" on that card). So even those "hand picked" chips can't handle it sometimes.

My current card is a BFG 7800GS, which came when I RMA'ed the 6800GT. It is also factory overclocked. I would not dream of pushing it any farther, even if it appears to be able to handle it. I think this whole overclocking craze is just nuts. It has to drive up the costs of video cards after so many people overclock them, burn them up, then RMA them. I wish the manufacturers would just hard lock all that stuff.

stx
6th Jun 2007, 02:00
I'm seeing exactly the same problem with TRA.

I have a very similar hardware setup as the OP:

GeForce 7900 GT
Athlon 3500+
DirectX 9.0c
Win XP SP2

I've tried the 94.24 and 93.71 nvidia drivers and the problem is the same with both.

TR Legend and Oblivion are still both working fine with no issues on my system.

Discordia666
6th Jun 2007, 05:28
2 of you with the same card have the same problem with one game but no others? Beginning to look like a problem specific to Anniversary on some cards. I know that sounds unlikely but it wouldn't be the first time.

For example, if you check the known issues published on nVidia's site (and they're not easy to find) you can discover that you can't play the Spearhead and Breakthrough expansions for Medal Of Honour on Geforce 7900 and 7950 graphics cards. The games crash on startup. The original game (which you have to have installed to play these expansions) and the Pacific Assault expansion work fine and the 2 that don't run on those cards run fine on any other card, even the 7800s, apparently. How weird is that? There must be some routine implemented on just those 2 cards that is incompatible with those 2 games. Fortunately, I had other cards I could run those games on.

Still not convinced, though. I can run this game on a 7900 GTX I have, which is only a 7900GT with more memory, after all. Though that could be the answer right there. Actually, a GT is a GTX with less memory. Maybe the GPU on the GT is trying to address memory that isn't there? Getting a bit far-fetched?

Discordia666
6th Jun 2007, 05:50
Sorry, Zerith.
To answer your earlier question,
How do I prevent overclocking? How do I change my settings to lower the stress on my system? (Ie: do I access this option through "My Computer" or do I need to instal some crummy 3rd party program to do it?)underclocking is done in exactly the same way as overclocking, but without the risk, of course!

As you have XP drivers that, I think, still support the 'old' control panel, the best way to do this would be to use nVidia's own overclocking utility.
Set the drivers to use the 'Classic' contol panel and then use the age-old 'CoolBits' registry setting to enable the overclocking utility in the drivers and then use it to underclock the card. You can find out how to add the CoolBits setting very easily. Just use your search engine. I would go for CoolBits = 3 as that will add only the overclocker and not a load of other advanced settings, too.

Otherwise, use RivaTuner, which is a '3rd party program' but is not 'crummy' ;)

stx
6th Jun 2007, 07:01
Sorry, Zerith.
To answer your earlier question, underclocking is done in exactly the same way as overclocking, but without the risk, of course!

Perfect, this seems to have done the trick! Thanks. I had never considered underclocking the card to solve this. :)

Via good ol' coolbits I changed the memory clock freq on my 7900 GT from 790 MHz (the default) to 680. (I just picked the lower number at random.)

After that, TRA seems to be running fine at maxed settings. I was finally able to turn fullscreen effects and AA back on; I had them off since the graphics didn't seem so quick to corrupt as long as those two settings were disabled.

I was only able to test it for about 10 minutes, so it'll take some more experimenting later to decide if it's fixed for good, but I think this has done it.

Xcom
6th Jun 2007, 07:41
2 of you with the same card have the same problem with one game but no others?

I also have 7900GT and have not experienced these glitches. My mem clock. is at 750Mhz, and I am using 84.56 drivers.

GoranAgar
6th Jun 2007, 08:49
I have that in Second Life and Titan Quest. But not Tomb Raider. I just changed the gpu fan and gave the memory heat sinks. Did not really fix the problem.

Zerith
6th Jun 2007, 18:13
okay! i'm back!!

Lots of great posts here!
Okay I used Coolbits to change the Overclocking options. I Reduced the "Memory Clock Frequency" to as low as 600 MHz yet this proved fruitless.
I tried Tomb Raider but within 5 mins of gameplay the Terrain started spiking out again.

I can confirm however:

(-) These "Spikes" do not spawn from the centre of the screen. They pop out anywhere and have no logic behind their appearance. Completely random.
(-) They do not flicker. They are static and only disappear when i move the camera a certain direction.
(-) The other game I spoke of has since had a patch, this has fixed the problem with that game and it no longer warps like this.

My only thought is that there is a compatability issue with Tomb Raider Anniversary and my System. Perhaps, as I say, this can be fixed with a future patch.

Just glad to see im not the only one with the same problem, even on other games.

Thanks again for all the mature responses! :)

Jurjen
6th Jun 2007, 19:41
Did you try updating drivers?

tr1xp
6th Jun 2007, 22:24
Perfect, this seems to have done the trick! Thanks. I had never considered underclocking the card to solve this. :)

Via good ol' coolbits I changed the memory clock freq on my 7900 GT from 790 MHz (the default) to 680. (I just picked the lower number at random.)

After that, TRA seems to be running fine at maxed settings.

RMA that card! If underclocking fixes ANY problem, the card is defective and can not handle stock speeds, just like the one I mentioned.

Another test is to use Coolbits to run tests so it tells you your optimal clock speeds. After, see if the numbers it gives you are even as high as the cards default. If they're not at least a little bit over default....RMA THE CARD! MY 7800GS stock is 400/1.25 and show optimal at 469/1.38 for example.

Here's a stripped down version of Coolbits that I use for you guys (a little late but still) if you're interested. Most of the ones I've seen add way too many things for my liking. This adds the over/under clock settings, an extra information screen, and one to adjust the "max frames to render ahead" which reduces mouse lag in some games if reduced from 3 to 2 or 1. Just copy and paste into a text file and name it "whateveryouwant.reg", then double clicking adds it to the registry.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]
"CoolBits"=dword:00000003
"NvCplEnableAdditionalInfoPage"=dword:00000001
"NvCplEnableAGPSettingsPage"=dword:00000001

Discordia666
6th Jun 2007, 22:46
Zerith,

did you try underclocking the core? I would try using the button to detect 'optimal settings' as suggested by tr1xp. If it fixes the problem, I would definitely send it back if it is still under warranty. This suggestion was only an attempt to diagnose the cause and certainly not intended as a permanent solution.

Zerith
6th Jun 2007, 23:48
Yeah I tested my optimal clocking and it came out with a Memory Clock Frequency of some 780! Thats like 2 bars from the top.

I tried lowering the Core but got one of those threatening warenty "ohhh if you change this you will die in 7 days" sort of messages so I left it.
I'd like to play Tomb Raider sure, but I don't want to destroy my PC through tampering.

I've checked other forums for people with similar problems and all signs point to a dying Graphics card which is a shame, coz ive only had it a year. Not sure If I have a warrenty on it or not. the store I got it from was miles away too.

Also, can somebody tell me if this is Good, Acceptable or Bad.

I have Tomb Raider running in background to check these forums and i've checked the temperature of my GFX card. it reads between 60 and 65 degrees.

~Zerith~

tr1xp
7th Jun 2007, 00:07
Yeah I tested my optimal clocking and it came out with a Memory Clock Frequency of some 780! Thats like 2 bars from the top.

....but what is the default? If it's 790, and the optimal test said 780, that is BAD! Meaning, it is supposed to run at 790(?) but testing shows it can only handle 780? BAD! Also that test is not real accurate, but it is a nice way to get a feel for if your card is working as advertised or not. Try running it a few times for a better feel. I had one GF4 TI4600 card that reported an insanely high optimal clock. I didn't trust that test at all.

I've checked other forums for people with similar problems and all signs point to a dying Graphics card which is a shame, coz ive only had it a year. Not sure If I have a warrenty on it or not. the store I got it from was miles away too.

Contact the manufacturer's support site for an RMA (Return merchandise authorization) if you can't return it at the store. It sucks because you have to mail it to them and wait for the replacement card to arrive (sometimes just as defective as the one you shipped them in my experience) but it's worth it if you want a good card. Some will take a credit card deposit and then ship the new one first so you have no down time if you're lucky. That 6800GT I been talking about was bad from day one. It was just a bad chip on it. It's pretty common unfortunately. I RMA'ed it got another 6800GT...then about a year later that one died and I RMA'ed it again and got a 7800GS in it's place.

Also, can somebody tell me if this is Good, Acceptable or Bad.

60-65c seems ok if Tomb Raider is running at the time. For reference:
My 7800GS idles at 44c and 52c running newer games.
My 6800GT (hotter normally) idled at 53c and 68c running games.

Zerith
7th Jun 2007, 00:23
Okay,

The Default memory Clocking is 660 but when I test it, it goes up to 780.
I've currently lowered it to 500 for testing sake and have not noticed a difference.
My Core is currently sitting (By Default) at 450MHz.

Also, my Graphics card is 7900GT and it had Anniversary and Internet explorer open (on these forums) when I saw the temperature at about 60-65 Degrees.

The Temperature just now is 56 degrees and all I have going are these forums.

I'll check out the Manufacturer and see if I can RMA it. In your Experience Tr1xp how long did it take to have a replacement sent? I know Shipping times varies based on country etc.

~Zerith~

PS. Do I sound desperate or what? :whistle:

tr1xp
7th Jun 2007, 01:45
Then your memory seems fine (put it back to default). Try underclocking your GPU to 400 for a bit? It will warn you and threaten you with death any time you mess with those settings, but underclocking really can't do any harm...just lets you know if your GPU is bad at stock speeds if reducing it suddenly stops the problem. Maybe your card is not bad and there is no need to RMA it. Maybe it is a 7900GT vs Tomb Raider Anniversary specific thing as someone mentioned?

I'd hate to tell you to RMA it unless we know it is a defective/bad card. What does that "optimal speeds test" tell you for your GPU? I would think it should say 460+ if the stock speed is 450. I would NEVER try clocking at what coolbits says is optimal by the way. it's just a really rough estimate kind of test.

I'm not familiar enough with 7900GT's to be sure but that temperature seems fine to me.

In my experience with ATI, and BFG technologies, an RMA takes about 1 week after they get it from you. So, if you sent it on a Monday (weekends add time), I'd say you'll get your replacement card about the next Tuesday - Friday. But make damned sure the card is bad first. When you RMA a card, they just send you someone else's RMA'ed card back. Hopefully after they repaired it (but I seriously don't think they even check them), or it was never defective to begin with and someone just falsely blamed the card for some other problem (this is why I think they pump the same cards right back out).

ATI sent me 2 bad RMA Radeon 9800 Pro cards before finally sending me a new (meaning brand new, never used or RMA'ed before) card on the 3rd time that was good. So I had to pay for shipping twice before I finally called them and said, "Ok, this is getting really old..." and they sent me a brand new card, that still works to this day.

BFG sent me a good replacement for my first bad 6800GT (white dot artifacts all over in Far Cry fixed by underclocking) because I called them and insisted on a brand new replacement because my brand new one was defective from day one and was only like 2 weeks old at the time. I was not about to accept some other jerks RMA'ed used card.

When that 6800GT went bad (totally corrupted screen at all times, started with minor stretching like yours and became worse within a day or 2) about a year later I RMA'ed it. BFG sent me another card, or maybe even the same one I just sent in, with the exact same problem. You could not even read the text while the PC booted up. It was ALL a corrupted mass of colors. I called them, told them the situation and requested they pay the shipping for the next RMA. They agreed and said they would send me a prepaid shipping label, then they never did. I paid the shipping again and sent defective crap back to them. They then sent me a used/repaired 7800GS that is now working fine in my second PC. In the meantime I had already purchased another 7800GS new, so now I have 2.

Summary: So the 3 times I RMA'ed video cards with 2 different companies, I was sent broken junk cards 2 out of 3 times. Sometimes repeatedly. 1 out of 3 times I was sent a decent, working product. The first BFG 6800GT that was defective on day one, when brand new. Every other time, I had to fight them for a working card and pay shipping (like $7-14) multiple times. I hope your card is not defective or you have better luck with an RMA than me.

None of these cards were ever overclocked and were always run nice and cool in a well ventilated case. Defective cards are very common in my experience the last few years. My old cards like TNT2 Ultras and Geforce 2-4 cards never needed RMA and are still working to this day. It's these newer cards that are junk. This is why I absolutely despise overclocking. All these overclock fanatics are the ones causing me to get sent these fried POS cards when I do have to RMA one myself. That and the utterly non-existant quality control at the factory where they RMA them and just assume the majority of guys who sent them in are just idiots, and it's cheaper to just pump the same cards back out and hope the angry customer will just go away, then actually bother testing them first.

mikeysg
7th Jun 2007, 04:12
I've had only 2 cards die on me over the years -
Abit FX 5900 OTES - RMA'd it and sold it off after it got back from RMA (went back to my trusty PC 9800Pro)
Sometimes a new driver may reveal hardware deficiencies in a card and cause it to malfunction, take my recent experience for example -
Was running 2x HD 2900XT in CF mode just nicely (was using Cat 7.3 and then, 7.4). When the shiny new Cat 7.5 was released, I jumped on it. When I enabled CF mode, I got a BSOD......couldn't get to desktop after repeated reboots. Removing my 2nd card helped somewhat, but the driver refused to stick and a 'No ATi driver installed, or not functioning properly" (something like that).....had to go thru the tedious process of reinstalling 64bit VISTA all over again (I can't begin to tell you how much 'fun' this was!:rolleyes: ) Only after the reinstall was I able to get the driver to stick, so now I'm 'limping' along with just a single HD 2900XT.:rasp: When I swapped my primary card for my secondary card, no joy! No signal to my monitor at all! After two restarts and getting the same result, it dawned on me that my 2nd card, god bless its soul:nut: , has gone to hardware heaven......I'm awaiting a replacement from RMA as I type this.:whistle:

Discordia666
7th Jun 2007, 05:43
Man, you guys have been unlucky. You must have a lot of static in you. I have been building PCs for about 17 years now and have never had a graphics card fail. And, remember, I overclock mine.
In fact, I have only ever returned one item of computer hardware and that was a cheap motherboard I bought for a customer and not because it was faulty, but because it was crap!
I had a motherboard once with a faulty DIMM slot, but that was in the days when you got 4 slots, so I couldn't even be arsed to return it! Oh, and I had some hard drives that whined badly. But, again, they weren't faulty, just noisy.
Of course, I've killed a couple of items myself by physically abusing them. Hmmm. I killed a graphics card once by sticking heat sinks to the memory chips. But, when I removed them, it started working again and is still working today. That's how fragile they aren't.
And you can't blame the customers because the vendors choose to send you busted cards. Come on. If they are replacing a faulty card, they should send you a brand new, fully tested replacement. Not something someone already returned as faulty. That's not the overclockers' fault, that's just poor customer service. Which is the world we live in.

tr1xp
7th Jun 2007, 06:13
Oh yeah, and all those cards fried while running off of one of these bad boys for power, which is overkill for my one little old PC, speaking of static. There are a LOT of defective units being sold these days is all. Actually getting a good one is a stroke of pure luck.

http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/CPS1250AVR.asp

Xcom
7th Jun 2007, 08:34
Man, you guys have been unlucky. You must have a lot of static in you.

Maybe it's you who have been exceptionally lucky. :p

I actually had to RMA my first 7900GT as well, but that was almost a year ago, when they were relatively new on the market. Fortunately, it was obvious that the card was faulty - during pc boot-up, I got weird lines and dots (artifacts) all over the screen. I later found out that a whole shipment of eVGA 7900GTs cards had been released with a flaw in their RAM (there was obscenely long thread in their forums about it.. LoL).

Discordia666
7th Jun 2007, 11:42
Well, that makes about 4 of you. Of course it's annoying (and sometimes expensive) when you buy a faulty item. It's happened to me, just not with graphics cards.
But just because a few people have had problems, doesn't mean that every card sent out is faulty. The manufacturers sell 100s of 1000s of these things and most of them are fine. And to try to blame other customers for the poor service of the vendors is just sour grapes. I've had many graphics cards in my time, I've overclocked every one of them and haven't fried one yet. And I paid for them, so I can do what I like with them. I certainly wouldn't send one back if I did kill it by overclocking. Though I'll admit that many people would!! **** :D

GeorgeMaciver
7th Jun 2007, 12:04
I had this problem playing Americas Army with a Geforce 7. The fix was to untick Enable Write Combining. Worth a try!

http://209.85.48.10/8878/198/upload/p8517530.jpg

Zerith
7th Jun 2007, 14:01
I already have that button ticked George, but thanks for the suggestion!

Hey Tr1xp,

I checked, i've had my 7900GT for over 1 year now meaning im out of my warrenty, PLUS to add another spanner in the works, I don't have my reciept!

Ach well, and oh you were right. I tried S.T.A.L.K.E.R lastnight and played for about 10 minutes. All was well and just as I was punching the air in tirumph, a Spike of bad graphics impaled me from a building in the distance... :mad2:

Looks like the Graphics Card is getting old, i'll be pumping Apple sauce to it through a tube shortly...

God damn! 1 year isn't very long. These sort of troubles usually happen about 3-4 years after purchase. Finding a good cheap PC Hardware store here in Scotland is difficult. I know a few but theyre miles away. I refuse to buy online either because I don't trust the "gentle" hand of postmen. Haha!

Och aye...

GeorgeMaciver
7th Jun 2007, 14:10
The fix was to UNtick it :D

tr1xp
7th Jun 2007, 20:46
Did we already mention Fastwrites? Some rigs run ok with Fastwrites on and some have to have it off. You have to disable it in the bios, or via coolbits (I think) preferably in the BIOS.

Yes, it is ultimately the manufaturers who are just wrong by shipping out RMA'ed cards to replace the next guys RMA without even testing them at all. I'm just saying a lot of people O/C too high and fry them in the first place, causing a much higher than normal RMA rate so to speak, and increasing the likelihood you will get a fried card right back when you do have to RMA one yourself.

Zerith
7th Jun 2007, 22:07
The fix was to UNtick it :D

Oh UNtick! Sorry read you wrong. I'll give that a wee try.
Apologies!

EDIT

Tried it Georgie but sadly it never fixed it. I'm just fighting a losing battle with this computer. GFX card is on the way out. But then i'll want to get a better one next time... but then i'll need a new Processor.... then maybe a new motherboard... Oh how I hate the chain reaction of upgrading!!

GeorgeMaciver
7th Jun 2007, 22:54
Yeah, know the feeling. I'll be upgrading my whole system later this year. Mind you, the one I have has done well and I can't complain about it really :)

Merick
9th Jun 2007, 17:24
I've been playing TRA (through Gametap) for a couple days now without any problems. However, today I got to the room in the Temple of Khamoon where you pick up the eye of horus, and I started to see this. So far, it's only happened in this room, and only when I have the camera pointed to a specific point. Do you think this is similar gfx card problem, or is it something else?

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/4485/tragfxbugqo6.th.png (http://img526.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tragfxbugqo6.png)http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/2636/tragfxbug2xo3.th.png (http://img526.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tragfxbug2xo3.png)http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/6770/tragfxbug3nl7.th.png (http://img509.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tragfxbug3nl7.png)

My system:

WinXP
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (2.0ghz)
ATI Radeon X1300 with 256 mb memory
2 gigs ram

Raidr
10th Jun 2007, 09:51
I've tried the following:

(1) Updating Graphics Card Drivers (using GeForce 7900 GT)
(2) Updating Direct X (Have 9 and latest)
(3) Making sure all connections to my HD TV are firm
(4) Changing all graphics and resolution details to the minimum

-snipped

Zerith,
I have nearly the identical card and system you do only mines a GeForce 7900 GT(X) and Intel 4600 Dual Core and I was running into the the same problem. The difference is, I was recently having the same graphics glitch problem appear with Obivilion AND Tomb Raider Legends. I tried many fixes by I've yet to see one that 100% works. I've contacted NVidia on this issue already and they have a patch located on their forums that seems to work on some games but not others. For example, WoW and Everquest 2 work like a dream now. (I don't have a link atm, it was months ago when I saw it)

But, this is about TR:Anniversary. Here's what I did to mostly fix my problem
I downloaded the latest graphic drivers *which you did* and then I downloaded the very latest Direct X version last, then installed it. I restarted, changed these settings on the NVIDIA control panel.
3D SETTINGS/Manage 3D Settings/Gobal Settings (Tab)
Right now it will probably be on [Custom]. I changed mine to Tomb Raider: Legends, hit apply and I went through about 3 hours before I saw even the smallest graphic glitch in TR:Anniversary.

I tried this on my sister computer with the same graphics card GeForce 7900 GT (because I used to two box EQ2 last year) but only it has an AMD 3800 processor with 2 gigs of memory. The same trick worked so its a temporary fix until the patch comes out.

Let me know if this worked. For the record, this batch of bad video cards was only a rumor but there does seem to be a graphics bug that effects all GeForce 7900 video cards from GE, GT and GTX models. NVIDIA is aware of it but they won't publicially aknowledge it.

Zerith
10th Jun 2007, 17:46
That looks like the same problem as me merik but mine is not as extreme as that and the "Spikes" or "Artifacts" that come out of the ground are the same texture and colour as the terrain they come out of. Yours are all pink n' stuff.

But looks like the same problem.

I've already tried your suggestion Raidr, about updating all drivers and lowering graphical setting but it doesn't change anything.
I just hope your right about it being something that is fixable by a patch and that my Graphics card hasnt over-heated and caused permanent damage.

As always, thanks for all the feedback and for bringing good suggestions and reasons here. I get a much better response from people here than any other forum i've ever asked a question on :thumbsup: :D

despised7
20th Jun 2007, 14:54
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x118/despised7/tra2007-06-1820-05-48-26-1.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x118/despised7/tra2007-06-1820-07-30-69.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x118/despised7/tra2007-06-1820-07-40-83.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x118/despised7/tra2007-06-1919-30-20-64.jpg

This is a problem with certain cards and the tomb raider anniversary game. These horrid looking glitches are on a geforce 6800 ultra. Everything else i have runs fine from world of warcraft....tomb raider legend...call of duty 2....half life 2....oblivion...etc I can play anything else for hours with no problem. I have all the latest drivers and my card is not overheating while playing any game, and my system is clean with nothing else having any problems whatsoever. These screenshots were taken within 5 minutes of play and constantly happen no matter what settings I use.
I have tried everything and wish they would fix it as I see others with the same problem:(

GEORGE W SA GAMER
22nd Jun 2007, 05:13
:rasp:
I have that in Second Life and Titan Quest. But not Tomb Raider. I just changed the gpu fan and gave the memory heat sinks. Did not really fix the problem.

Hi there this maybe a little bite late , I found the same graphics problem when playing Prince of Persia (the two thrones) for me it’s more a OS problem because after uninstalling Windows XP service packed 2 The problem with the graphics was solved . No under-clocking the card

kind regards
George

GEORGE W SA GAMER
22nd Jun 2007, 05:16
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x118/despised7/tra2007-06-1820-05-48-26-1.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x118/despised7/tra2007-06-1820-07-30-69.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x118/despised7/tra2007-06-1820-07-40-83.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x118/despised7/tra2007-06-1919-30-20-64.jpg

This is a problem with certain cards and the tomb raider anniversary game. These horrid looking glitches are on a geforce 6800 ultra. Everything else i have runs fine from world of warcraft....tomb raider legend...call of duty 2....half life 2....oblivion...etc I can play anything else for hours with no problem. I have all the latest drivers and my card is not overheating while playing any game, and my system is clean with nothing else having any problems whatsoever. These screenshots were taken within 5 minutes of play and constantly happen no matter what settings I use.
I have tried everything and wish they would fix it as I see others with the same problem:(

Hi there this maybe a little bite late , I found the same graphics problem when playing Prince of Persia (the two thrones) for me it’s more a OS problem because after uninstalling Windows XP service packed 2 The problem with the graphics was solved . No under-clocking the card

kind regards
George

Sam Fisher
22nd Jun 2007, 07:57
I also had this problem but under Windows Vista.It happened very often though.Now that I have windows xp pro sp2 again it works fine and i didn't have those glitches anymore