PDA

View Full Version : Vilcabamba: Real Life TR

Laura Croft
4th Jun 2007, 22:44
I hope I'm not the only one who didn't know this, otherwise I'm going to feel like such a fool. :o

I was watching a documentry earlier called Ancient Mysteries, which basically featured loads of historical myths and legends; Atlantis, the Oracle in Greece... anyway, one of the featured "mysteries" was a city called Vilcabamba. Apparently hidden somewhere in Peru and an explorer called... can't remember his name, he was American... thought he found it but he infact had discovered Macchu Picchu (sp?). Cool, huh? Story goes that that's where the last Incas/Aztecs (I'm sure it said Incas, but wasn't it the Aztecs attacked by the Spanish?) fled during the Spanish invasion and lived there until their untimely death. No ones knows if Vilcabamba exists but people are researching it.

I never knew Vilcabamba was a real place/legend/myth. This was a rather old looking documentry so I'm not sure when it was filmed, but I heard the name and though "Tomb Raider!" and found it pretty interesting.

Just thought I'd share. :)

Headshots4life
4th Jun 2007, 22:57
That's very interesting.

Rai
4th Jun 2007, 23:11
Vilcabamba does exist. It is a real place! I just googled it and here is a little snippet from a website. Quote:

Vilcabamba means Sacred Valley.The name comes from an Incan dialect called Quichua. It is composed of two words: Huilco meaning "sacred" or "God" and Bamba meaning "valley"; hence,"valley of God" or "Sacred Valley". Luis Fernando de la Vega first established Vilcabamba as a town on September 1st, 1756. Vilcabamba is located in the southeastern province of Ecuador called Loja, 42...unquote.

It has more information and a map giving it's location.

How interesting is that? :D

RaiderGirl#1
4th Jun 2007, 23:13
That is pretty interesting. Cool find!

Headshots4life
4th Jun 2007, 23:18
May I have the link please? I love reading (and watching) stuff like this :)

Rai
4th Jun 2007, 23:23
A couple of pics:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d92/rjhuntley/5927-the-actual-fountain-of-youth-v.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d92/rjhuntley/106824-in-vilcabamba-on-a-walk-outs.jpg

and a link to the page:

http://www.vilcabamba.org/

Headshots4life
4th Jun 2007, 23:27
Looks beautiful and thanks for the link :)

Laura Croft
4th Jun 2007, 23:38
Awww, I want to go to Vilcabamba. Looks lovely. Untouched.

MercuryRapids
5th Jun 2007, 06:39
but wasn't it the Aztecs attacked by the Spanish?

Both were attacked by the Spanish. The Aztecs were in Central America and the Incas were in South America.:)

Laura Croft
5th Jun 2007, 12:36
Ah right. Thanks for clearing that one up. ;)

Inn_Hevonn_Klann
5th Jun 2007, 12:45
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d92/rjhuntley/5927-the-actual-fountain-of-youth-v.jpg
Tihocan's tomb entrance :lmao:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d92/rjhuntley/106824-in-vilcabamba-on-a-walk-outs.jpg
The Lost Valley :lol:

Laura Croft
5th Jun 2007, 12:52
Ha ha!

(You meant Qualopec, right?) ;)

Grieyls
5th Jun 2007, 14:25
Don't break the illusion :p

Zoidberg
5th Jun 2007, 15:31
Vilcabamba does exist. It is a real place! I just googled it and here is a little snippet from a website. Quote:

Vilcabamba means Sacred Valley.The name comes from an Incan dialect called Quichua. It is composed of two words: Huilco meaning "sacred" or "God" and Bamba meaning "valley"; hence,"valley of God" or "Sacred Valley". Luis Fernando de la Vega first established Vilcabamba as a town on September 1st, 1756. Vilcabamba is located in the southeastern province of Ecuador called Loja, 42...unquote.

It has more information and a map giving it's location.

How interesting is that? :D

Unfortunately, you've stumbled across a bit of a red herring. The place described above is a proper town in Ecuador and not the lost city of Incan legend found in Tomb Raider.

The real Vilcabamba looks rather different and more information can be found here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vilcabamba,_Peru).

Toby Gard also mentions in the TRA commentaries that at the time of making Tomb Raider 1, Vilcabamba had not yet been discovered when infact it had many, many years before Tomb Raider 1 was made.

RaiderGirl#1
5th Jun 2007, 18:18
I'm wondering why you seem to trust a site that anybody can change?

rsdigi
5th Jun 2007, 18:26
They bring this up in the commentary.
Turns out when they made the first tomb raider Vilcabamba wasn't discovered yet. Since that time Vilcambamba was found, which is the reason they now have huts in tomb raider anniversary..they are based off the real huts.

Zoidberg
5th Jun 2007, 19:17
I'm wondering why you seem to trust a site that anybody can change?

...you've got to be kidding me?

Zoidberg
5th Jun 2007, 19:26
They bring this up in the commentary.
Turns out when they made the first tomb raider Vilcabamba wasn't discovered yet. Since that time Vilcambamba was found, which is the reason they now have huts in tomb raider anniversary..they are based off the real huts.

As stated, Vilcabamba had indeed been discovered when TR1 was made and Toby Gard is simply mistaken in his comment that it had not.

Vilcabamba as depicted in Tomb Raider is entirely ficticious in all but name and location. The huts in TRA are not based on real huts, nor does the commentary state they are based on real huts. They are simply more advanced representations of the ficticious and unrecognisable blocky huts in the original game. No such huts exist at the real Vilcabamba site which is largely barely definable wall ruins.

Sorry to burst the bubble but come on people, lets not start confusing historical fact with Tomb Raider fan-fiction, no matter how much we love the games.

rsdigi
5th Jun 2007, 19:42
As stated, Vilcabamba had indeed been discovered when TR1 was made and Toby Gard is simply mistaken in his comment that it had not.

Vilcabamba as depicted in Tomb Raider is entirely ficticious in all but name and location. The huts in TRA are not based on real huts, nor does the commentary state they are based on real huts. They are simply more advanced representations of the ficticious and unrecognisable blocky huts in the original game. No such huts exist at the real Vilcabamba site which is largely barely definable wall ruins.

Sorry to burst the bubble but come on people, lets not start confusing historical fact with Tomb Raider fan-fiction, no matter how much we love the games.
the huts are based on vilcabamba. my cousin pablo lives in one down there now.

ok buddy don't get your panties in a bunch. As I said, it was stated in the commentary. I have no idea nor do i care about the real vilcabamba. but it sure was cool in the game.

gsusfrk
5th Jun 2007, 20:12
A couple of pics:

and a link to the page:

http://www.vilcabamba.org/

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: OM GOODNESS
I JUMPED OFF THAT WATERFALL IN SOUTH AFRICA!!! :eek: :eek:

Zoidberg
5th Jun 2007, 20:20
the huts are based on vilcabamba. my cousin pablo lives in one down there now.

ok buddy don't get your panties in a bunch. As I said, it was stated in the commentary. I have no idea nor do i care about the real vilcabamba. but it sure was cool in the game.

Give my regards to Pablo, I'm sure he has a lovely hut ;)

Indeed, the Vilcabamba village in TRA looks gorgeous. However, you are mistaken in thinking that the commentary says it is based on the real location. Listen to it again.

The surprise expressed in the commentary is about there being a village with huts in TR1. Nobody recognised it as a village back in the 1996 game because the huts were very poorly modelled due to the grid based nature of the game and looked more like walls. TRA fixed that and it looks like a proper village now. This is what they discuss and Toby, when ad-libbing about the discovery of the real location, simply has his history wrong. After all, he's only human.

Regardless, the Vilcabamba Rai004 links to is not the Tomb Raider Vilcabamba. It's not even in the correct country for a start...

rsdigi
5th Jun 2007, 21:11

Indeed, the Vilcabamba village in TRA looks gorgeous. However, you are mistaken in thinking that the commentary says it is based on the real location. Listen to it again.

The surprise expressed in the commentary is about there being a village with huts in TR1. Nobody recognised it as a village back in the 1996 game because the huts were very poorly modelled due to the grid based nature of the game and looked more like walls. TRA fixed that and it looks like a proper village now. This is what they discuss and Toby, when ad-libbing about the discovery of the real location, simply has his history wrong. After all, he's only human.

Regardless, the Vilcabamba Rai004 links to is not the Tomb Raider Vilcabamba. It's not even in the correct country for a start...
my bad i only listened to it once and was running around doing stuff so I didnt pay much attention i guess.

5th Jun 2007, 21:25
Well, you learn something new everyday! :D

Rai
5th Jun 2007, 22:14

Exsquees me, let me explain something: The original poster says that she didn't even know that Vilcabamba was a real place. I didn't either so I googled the place and found the website I gave a link to and also some photo's. I have no idea if this 'real' Vilcabamba is in any way related to the fictional one from TRA/TR1. All I know is that there is such a place. I didn't before. Also the TRA/1 Vilcabamba is in Peru is it not? So is the one I've linked to. Here is a map to help us locate it. How many Vilcabambas can there be in the world?

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d92/rjhuntley/map.jpg This is Peru is it not? Or darn well close. I'm confused now myself :lol: . The one that is referred to seems fairly er modernish, perhaps this is a relatively new site next to an older 'lost' ancient site that has been discovered. Towns are sometimes like that aren't they? Built up close to the ancient original villages.

All I know is, I was just responding to the first post. I then wanted to see for myself. It's not my fault if it isn't the right one as depicted in TRA. :p

Undiscovered_Tomb
6th Jun 2007, 04:00
pretty much everything on tr is real but i dunno about natla and crap :rasp:

Zoidberg
6th Jun 2007, 15:23
Well to clear it up, there are at least 3 locations in South America alone by the name of 'Vilcabamba'.

There are two in the southern region of Peru (one of which is the Vilcabamba TR references) and one many hundreds of thousands of kilometers away in southern Equador (the one you posted a map of and linked to).

Of the two locations in Peru, one is known as 'Old Vilcabamba' and is now thought not to be the real Vilcabamba since around the 1960s. This location is known as Machu Picchu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machu_Picchu) and its quite stunning. Should instantly remind you of Tomb Raider when you see it.

The other Vilcabamba in Peru is located at EspĂ*ritu Pampa. This is thought to be the actual, real Lost City based on descriptions found in Spanish letters written when the attacking Spaniards found and burned Vilcabamba, ending the Incan Empire. It's just rubble now and not nearly as impressive as Machu Picchu (which is why EspĂ*ritu Pampa was initially dismissed).

The Vilcabamba in Ecuador (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vilcabamba,_Ecuador) is a picturesque town that happens to be called Vilcabamba. It is many hundreds of thousands of kilometers away from the Peru Vilcabamba locations. Mind you, they do play on that name in order to attact tourism as the location where the town is built does have Incan connections - it is thought to be a old retreat for Incan royalty that instills longer life. The town's tourist website is where you linked to.

Once again, I should add that all three of these locations were well known many years before Tomb Raider. None were undiscovered when TR was made.

Phew, anyway, a bit long winded but we got there in the end. Hope that helps clear up the confusion. So, if Lara wants to raid a lost civilisation, she knows where to go now. On the other hand, if she fancies a nice relaxing holiday to get away from it all... :D