PDA

View Full Version : The General *Disappointment* Thread

4th Jun 2007, 20:46
This thread is where you can post everything about Anniversary you are disappointed about, so that loads and loads of the same threads aren't posted over and over again.

Personally I'm disappointed with the shortness and the amount of things cut back of some of the levels, such as Palace Midas and the Collosseum (NOT Colisseum CD, learn to spell!!! :D :D )

cazzer
4th Jun 2007, 20:47
This is a bit early to post this seeming as it hasn't even come out yet in the US .
I doubt many would be disappointed , yet.:o

4th Jun 2007, 20:49
This is a bit early to post this seeming as it hasn't even come out yet in the US .
I doubt many would be disappointed , yet.:o

Well there's already about 20 pages alone with negative comments, and many UK gamers have a lot they want to share.

Notts Raider
4th Jun 2007, 20:52
I was disappointed when it had finished, I needed more http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/2959/arcadefreakof1.gif

Vernavoncroy
4th Jun 2007, 21:02
It wasnt as grand as promised however this the most minor problem.

TR-AOD
5th Jun 2007, 00:06
Ok up until now i have only played the peruvian levels, but 1 of the dissapointments for me is when being attacked by wolves they often get stuck :confused: and dont bother to attack, they just stand running in the same spot making them very easy to kill, or as catsuit&ponytail might prefer, to run away from :( this hasnt been a one off either, it happened in the wolves den in the first stage, the first wolf attack in the village and when the wolves attack at the bottom of the waterfall. playing this on the PC btw.

Rai
5th Jun 2007, 00:58
Hmm, I've noticed that too a little.

This isn't a gripe as such but: Those cut-scenes 1st with Larson at the end of Peru and 2nd, Pierre at the end of Greece. I was kinda hoping for more action, more shooting without the cut scene. Both fights are complete cut scenes with the teeniest amount of interaction (press the o button). I want to shoot the beggers. And with Pierre - she runs away! I won't say how he dies, it'll spoil the spoiler even more. But What?!?

MercuryRapids
5th Jun 2007, 06:44
My main gripe is in some of the puzzles when you spend ages getting to a certain point (jumping, climbing, jumping again, climbing again etc.), then you have to do one last jump (quickly, obviously, as the pole/switch/ladder etc. is descending and your target is rapidly becoming unreachable) and Lara decides to jump either the wrong way or not at all. Then you have to start all over again... Just find it annoying, that's all, but that's what the game's about, I suppose. :)

est1856
5th Jun 2007, 07:21
My main gripe is in some of the puzzles when you spend ages getting to a certain point (jumping, climbing, jumping again, climbing again etc.), then you have to do one last jump (quickly, obviously, as the pole/switch/ladder etc. is descending and your target is rapidly becoming unreachable) and Lara decides to jump either the wrong way or not at all. Then you have to start all over again... Just find it annoying, that's all, but that's what the game's about, I suppose. :)

I agree with that one, i'd rather be able to save at any point and then be able to load back that precise point and not back to a previous check point.

Another thing was the bad camera angles when fighting animals, sometimes I couldn't see what was going on.

And lastly, the constant shooting of a boss that takes so long, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang and so on. Surely theres another way. Perhaps to outsmart the boss instead of hundreds of bullets.

The plus side, was beautiful scenery, and I still enjoyed some of the game. Just not the niggly things above. :)

mercurydude
5th Jun 2007, 10:48
Personally I'm disappointed with the shortness and the amount of things cut back of some of the levels, such as Palace Midas and the Collosseum (NOT Colisseum CD, learn to spell!!! :D :D )Actually, it can be spelled as "colosseum" or "coliseum". Maybe you should check your own spelling before criticizing? ;) Peace.

CommanderZx2
5th Jun 2007, 10:59
I agree with that one, i'd rather be able to save at any point and then be able to load back that precise point and not back to a previous check point.

Another thing was the bad camera angles when fighting animals, sometimes I couldn't see what was going on.

And lastly, the constant shooting of a boss that takes so long, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang and so on. Surely theres another way. Perhaps to outsmart the boss instead of hundreds of bullets.

The plus side, was beautiful scenery, and I still enjoyed some of the game. Just not the niggly things above. :)
If you could save anywhere the game would be too easy. Uh, you don't have to shoot them to death that way, you're supposed to use the bullet time headshots.

Rai
5th Jun 2007, 11:09
Yes but that's still shooting at them isn't it. I think est1856's point was that it might be nice to maybe not to shoot all the time. Have some way to out-smart the boss in some way. You know like in the snake in Legend, (only not that as that was just lame) but a similar kind of thing.

est1856
5th Jun 2007, 11:14
Yes but that's still shooting at them isn't it. I think est1856's point was that it might be nice to maybe not to shoot all the time. Have some way to out-smart the boss in some way. You know like in the snake in Legend, (only not that as that was just lame) but a similar kind of thing.

Exactly. :)

And CommanderZx2, too easy? Why shouldn't I be able to save when and where I want to? The original TR's had that choice.

CommanderZx2
5th Jun 2007, 11:36
Exactly. :)

And CommanderZx2, too easy? Why shouldn't I be able to save when and where I want to? The original TR's had that choice.

If I recall correctly you had a limited number of save games.

Still, if you can save anywhere it becomes too easy. People will begin to save with every single jump, that's not a fun way to play it.

Grieyls
5th Jun 2007, 11:38
I'm dissapointed cause I don't have the game yet :p Although that shall be rectified by tomorrow :D

MercuryRapids
5th Jun 2007, 12:11
By the way, 'mercurydude' is in no way related to me... as far as I'm aware... lol :) Nor is it me under another name... and vice versa... :)

Laura Croft
5th Jun 2007, 12:47

I agree. I want the unlimited saves back where you don't have to restart at a checkpoint everytime, just where you last saved it. It'd make sequences like that far easier. I spent 1 hour in the room of Damocles (sp?) in St. Francis Folly because she wouldn't jump properly from the wall run. :mad2:

PARaider
5th Jun 2007, 13:08
I loved Legend and will probably will love Anniversary, but the checkpoint system really got to me. Maybe in future installments, CD could consider using an in-game "quicksave" that is only temporary until you finish the level, reach the next checkpoint, or until you quit the game. The option to quicksave would be optional and may provide a decent balance between the two systems.

As far as the original TR went, the console version used thost stupid save crystals :mad2: that were placed too far apart and you would have to complete a good percentage of the level if you died before the next game save crystal. The PC version allowed you to save at any point that you wanted. I have played both versions and felt the console version was too hard and the PC version was too easy.

A good system might be similiar to the console version of TR3 where you collected game save crystals throughout the game and you chose where and when to use them at any point. With such a system, you can save anywhere you want and then you could only have a limited amount of saves which was a good balance between the two difficultiies.

Mangar The Dark
5th Jun 2007, 13:36
Still, if you can save anywhere it becomes too easy. People will begin to save with every single jump, that's not a fun way to play it.

Um, if they're not finding it fun, they won't do it. But the point is, the old system gave us the freedom to play in the way that we found most enjoyable. For the sort of person who LIKES to save after every jump (yes, some of us do), the old system allowed them to do that. For someone like you, who doesn't find that fun, the old system certainly never forced you to save after every jump. It was completely up to the player's discretion to decide what was most the most fun. The new system simply tells you, "This is where you will save, whether you like it or not." I don't see how that's an improvement.

raidermaniac
5th Jun 2007, 13:41
I've now reached the half of the game (finished Peru and Greece levels), and I must to say this game isn't disappointing in every way....it's true, some locations have been reduced in dimension or lenght, but some other have been improved (like Lost Valley, St.Francis Folly or Mida's Palace), so, in my opinion this game is overall excellent, no less.
However, I hope that TR8 will be more complex, long and difficult than this one and the previous Legend, sorry but I'm a die-hard fan :)

starlight2006
5th Jun 2007, 13:45
[QUOTE=Mangar The Dark;654324] For the sort of person who LIKES to save after every jump (yes, some of us do), the old system allowed them to do that.QUOTE]

TRA is a remodelling of TR1, in which the only way to save was at the save crystals. I do agree that in the later versions being able to save at any point was a godsend, and although there are points in this game that are annoying, if it was purely based on the original TR1 and if you missed a saved crystal and then subsequently died, you'd have to do a hell of a lot more to get back to where you were. At least with checkpoints it is automatic and regardless of whether you save or not, you get put back there. ;)

Mangar The Dark
5th Jun 2007, 14:05
TRA is a remodelling of TR1, in which the only way to save was at the save crystals. I do agree that in the later versions being able to save at any point was a godsend, and although there are points in this game that are annoying, if it was purely based on the original TR1 and if you missed a saved crystal and then subsequently died, you'd have to do a hell of a lot more to get back to where you were. At least with checkpoints it is automatic and regardless of whether you save or not, you get put back there. ;)

The PC version of TR1 let you save anywhere, anytime. I never even heard of Save Crystals until I came to this forum.

redfox45
5th Jun 2007, 14:08
I dont like the fact that somtimes when you are attacked you are in an area so small (like a corridor) its impossable to run away or dodge, just stand there and get knocked on your a$$ it not cool.

But I suppose my biggest dissapointment was somthing I was expecting all along, how hard it is, I am in Obelisk of Khamoon right now on the verge of being driven to madness while in the knowledge that this game WILL get EVEN harder

I was happy with Greece, its was just the right difficulty for me, not too hard and not too easy but it has been totally shoved over the edge I am just not one of those people who enjoys hard, frustrating games, sorry:(

apart from that good game:p

LisaB1962
5th Jun 2007, 16:09
I haven't played Anniversary, but I don't remember any horrible moments redoing large sections in the original tomb RAider. The game was large, yes, but actually having to redo large chunks of difficult platforming, no. Actually, I think the platforming was easier in the original because of the precision and the ability to predict exactly where Lara would go. :scratch: (rope swinging aside.)

I agree plugging away with pistols forever seems lame, however, it is the way it was done in the original. Maybe they've made the enemies too hard to kill that way and thus it becomes boring? The one hit kill sounds interesting, but people shouldn't have to master a combat technique to finish a game. Heck, if people want to do it, make it difficulty mode---rage mode or something---where you can only kill enemies by one-hit kills.

Tomorrow I will be able to disagree or agree with your thoughts with more information! Yay!

DarkCrisis77
5th Jun 2007, 18:18
My only real gripe is what seems to me to be a lack of enemies to fight. In fact some of the more "interesting" fights are done via the interactive cut scene then the regular battle mode.

TR4ever
5th Jun 2007, 20:13
Actually, it can be spelled as "colosseum" or "coliseum". Maybe you should check your own spelling before criticizing? ;) Peace.

Yup, he did something similar with me in another post.
Just like you said to me 05013, for the next time think before gunning the first post that comes to your head.

5th Jun 2007, 21:11
Actually, it can be spelled as "colosseum" or "coliseum". Maybe you should check your own spelling before criticizing? ;) Peace.

Checked dictionary, we're both right in a way. Collosseum with two l's is the big-whoop one in Rome, and colosseum is a random one in general, so glad we cleared that up. Oh and I think coliseum must be an Americanised spelling.

5th Jun 2007, 21:12
Yup, he did something similar with me in another post.
Just like you said to me 05013, for the next time think before gunning the first post that comes to your head.

Don't bear grudges, they only lead to unnecessary tension. I'm sorry for snapping at you in the other post ;) .

rsdigi
5th Jun 2007, 21:13
Only one thing. Camera. It is almost always in too close, and unlike other games, you don't have complete control over it. As soon as you move it, it sweeps right back to where it was.

5th Jun 2007, 21:18
Only one thing. Camera. It is almost always in too close, and unlike other games, you don't have complete control over it. As soon as you move it, it sweeps right back to where it was.

Yeah that's happened to me on quite a few occasions. Frustrating, isn't it?

TR4ever
5th Jun 2007, 21:19
Don't bear grudges, they only lead to unnecessary tension. I'm sorry for snapping at you in the other post ;) .

Really thanks for your sorry, now we can be friends:D :)

TR4ever
5th Jun 2007, 21:21
Yeah that's happened to me on quite a few occasions. Frustrating, isn't it?

In legend a quick touch on the right analog. was enough, i was hoping it was going to be like that in TRA but...

5th Jun 2007, 21:21
Really thanks for your sorry, now we can be friends:D :)

Yay!! :D:thumbsup: :rasp:

NaughtyGirl
7th Jun 2007, 01:08
I miss the back jump and side jump and jumping with guns if not fighting

Deekman
7th Jun 2007, 02:50
This thread is where you can post everything about Anniversary you are disappointed about, so that loads and loads of the same threads aren't posted over and over again.

Personally I'm disappointed with the shortness and the amount of things cut back of some of the levels, such as Palace Midas and the Collosseum (NOT Colisseum CD, learn to spell!!! :D :D )

However it's spelt, I will be in the real one in about two weeks!

chris and chan
7th Jun 2007, 09:46
I was initially disappointed with the game, and I have to be honest, if I didn't have a trainer for 1 shot kills and unlimited breath, I would not be playing now.
For me, the controls (using an XBox 360 controller) to pull off near impossible moves for the 'Boss' levels was tedious in the extreme, as was the over complicated (compared to previous games) method of getting Lara to swim, (why they couldn't have one button to press to swim and the joystick button for all movement is beyong me!) I love the hard puzzles, and don't mind dying ad nausium figuring out how to get from one room to the next, or that impossible looking ledge to get to - I DO mind spending two hours of my time trying to figure out how I need to kill two Centures (sp?), using a 'dodge' command that I have yet to get to grips with. (I was so pleased when I implimented the one shot kill cheat, although, to me, it's not a cheat, it's ironing a major gameplay flaw, aimed at 12 year olds - boss levels - really! I play TR to explore tombs and figure out puzzles)
Now, with the worst, enjoyment killing elements taken care of, I have started to really enjoy this game - the mid-game graphics do look stunning, and certainly evokes the true feeling of a game with 'Tomb Raider' in the title.

I love it, albeit with two 'cheats' enabled - if I hadn't have searched for the trainer, the game would now be off my hard drive.

MercuryRapids
7th Jun 2007, 10:47
Without a doubt, the grappling hook is the worst feature of the game. I am in one of the Egypt levels where you have to wall run across to a handhold. For some bizarre reason, the grapple icon keeps vanishing and she refuses to jump. When it does work and she jumps and grapples, at the end of the swing, she keeps jumping outwards and not onto the ledge. I wouldn't mind, but I've done this bit before!

They should have left it alone and not have the grapple, in my opinion. Or at least not have it quite so overused, especially in the Egypt levels. Surely when they were testing the game, they would have noticed that it was often tricky to use and would reeeeeaaaaallly annoy many gamers. Okay, maybe not many gamers, but it annoys the hell out of me...lol. :)

Right, I'm going to say this... The original Tomb Raiders, while being less sophisticated and pretty with their grid-based system, at least allowed a learning curve. You knew what kind of jumps Lara could make and what kinds she couldn't. This allowed you to learn how to get through the game. With the new games (although I really like them), there's a certain element of chance. Will she make it across to that ledge? Will she jump in the right direction or go in a different direction to the one you're aiming at - AGAIN!? Personally, I don't like having to go through the same motions to get to a point in the game, where she dies and sends you to the last checkpoint over and over again. It kind of gets boring after the umpteenth time.

Rant over for now...

burt_ie
7th Jun 2007, 11:26
Well finally at 1.45am last night I completed anniversary.
What is my final opinion? I really enjoyed this game, for the first time in years it felt as if Lara and TR has gone back to its roots! However it wasn’t a perfect journey I felt the last half let the game down slightly, the levels didn’t seem as long as not as expansive. It seems the creators went out of their way on the first half to make it authentic and include and update the puzzles and locations that we remember and fell in love with, but the last half they seemed to have given up or run out of steam. It seemed to me that only the vary bare necessities of each level were included so they could finish the story and tie the game up, there didn’t seem to be any creativity or imagination to try and expand or build upon these levels which is a great disappointment in my opinion. There were a few minor bugs along the way, mainly with the wall run, and a few infuriating moments where I felt like giving up (and did several times) because of nasty unforgiving traps….but in the end they were overcome and a sense of achievement set in (something that has lacked from recent TR’s).

It’s not all negative though, this games oozes atmosphere from every nook and cranny. It’s visually stunning (to me) and has some really aw inspiring moments. One of my favorite parts has to be St Francis’s Folly, it was stunning and so exiting jumping around from platform to ledge, they nailed this level perfectly, probably due to the fact that they didn’t cut anything major form this level, they kept most of what was in the original and build upon it creating a near perfect TR experience for me, its just such a shame that they didn’t take this approach with later levels.

The story this time around didn’t make much sense to me, which is strange considering they were suppose to have “fleshed it out”. The original TR had mystery and sense of discovery; in TR1 it was slowly revealed over the game what the artifact was and where it originally came from but this time around Lara new what she was looking for and why even before the game starts! I remember getting exited in TR1 when Lara found out that the Scion was from Atlantis and this didn’t happen until the cut scene at the start of St Francis’s Folly, but now you find this out in the opening cut scene.

I was also disappointed with how much background story seemed to be given to Natla’s goons…especially Larson and Lara, I didn’t feel like it fitted in with TR at all, is this what they meant by fleshing out the story? And why was Lara so concerned about having Larson’s blood on her hands when he didn’t even bleed to start with?
It just seemed a little pointless when compared to the rest of the story. I didn’t like how Lara now feels guilty for killing someone, ok it might make her more human and more “realistic” but come on it’s a game! Where has her bad arse, take no bull, tough woman attitude gone?

Well I am not going to ramble on anymore! Overall I will give this game around 80-85%
It would have been a lot more if not for the shortness of some levels.
On the other hand this game is stunning and the music and ambience sound is superb!
There is plenty of running around and climbing to be done, and it sacred the life out of me on several occasions!
I am going to be replaying this one plenty of times.
A big improvement over Legend (I don’t think I will ever play that again after this)
Not perfect in every way but shines in many others.
On occasions it brought that classic TR feeling back an other occasions it didn’t.

Lo
7th Jun 2007, 11:56
Although I won't be buying the game for quite some time or suggesting it as a Christmas present (now I'm not so sure of that either reading through some of these posts :( ), I do agree about the save issues.

When you have unlimited saves, it doesn't necessitate that you save every five seconds, I think people are pretty good at self-governing and set themselves the challenge of completing a particular section without saving after every footstep ;) But the option to do so if the challenge really is so difficult it is marring one's enjoyment of the game is a nice option.

That is precisely why Legend went back on the shelf a few days after I got it last year and only came down again recently. Now I am a HUGE fan of TR but I refuse to compromise my sanity by allowing what I feel to be a floored game drive me to the brink!

Someone spoke of a series of jumps that were timed and rather difficult. These are the areas that frustrate me. Lara used to jump in accordance to her position on the screen. If we wanted her to go to our left then left she would go on pressing the left directional key. Now we have to either fiddle around with the mouse (where the K/M are used) to get behind her or if we want to her to go left and she is facing left then we have to actually walk/run her 'forward' as if we were actually her :rolleyes:

All this of course costs valuable time and yes, she sometimes does jump off at an angle if the camera isn't just so.

I think for me, if they just reverted the camera back to the way it always was before Legend then the other hurdles could be overcome. Having one annoyance is bad enough but when you have the additional annoyances of checkpoint-only saves and other things, the game loses its appeal for me.

I play my TR 1-6 games far more than Legend (which has been in the drive about three times total). One other point is that even if you do get past a particularly difficult and uber frustrating part of the game and eventually complete it, how likely are folk to want to return to it. Do die-hard Raiders play Legend, for example, as much as earlier TR games?

Kali84
7th Jun 2007, 19:59
im on the khamoon level right now

what i dont like from this game:

1) eidos lied to us
they said they made the levels much larger and more grand... lost valley was smaller, the folly was MUCH smaller, and palace midas was almost non existant. and the cistern and tomb of tihocan combined into 1 level? Are you serious?

2) most enemies are introduced in some sort of 'dramatic' entrance
please... we dont need this garbage in our games. its not suspenseful to watch the trex grab raptors while we sit watching, knowing we are not in any danger. walking into the miniature colloseum was a joke too. oh no, a monkey tossed a block at lara how scary. on with the gun fight please.
if eidos wanted suspense they should have actually copied tr1... animals jumping out of no where with super spooky music.

3) i think that cutscenes ruin the TR experience
we arent watching movies here, eidos. this game is all about the PLAYER exploring the world. When you jump to cut scenes everytime something cool happens it puts gameplay in the backseat.
you shouldnt have to try to envoke emotions in a video game through cutscenes, it should come as a result of the gamplay itself.

4) pace
this game's pace is at light speed compared to TR1. lara runs at about 20 miles per hour and has an endless amount of energy to scale the endless amount of ledges.
its the small things like lara's slower jog in tr1, the way she struggled everytime she pulled up on a ledge, or the way you had to stop and line up jumps EVERYTIME that slowed the pace down and gave the player a chance to be immersed into lara's world.

5) there was no fear
Never once was i scared to meet an enemy or make a jump. In TR1 every corner was potential for death, so it took me time just to build up the courage to continue.
Or how about when enemies came around. I just kept jumping around like an idiot because the new lara is so agile she can do backflips over giant apes like its no big deal.
I prefer the old lara where it was a struggle just to move, so it created a real sense of fear when enemies came near because you knew you had to act quickly and precisely to make it out alive.

6) ledges
wow... could you have possibly included anymore ledges in this game?
maybe some that... i dont know... lead to no where? were just there so that it wasnt so obvious where to go next...

finally... i hate the new controls. i have to say it. regardless of what everyone else thinks, i know what feels right in my own head.
the controls MADE the tomb raider games. they were a total pain in the butt, yes, but they were the reason TR felt like TR.
They made the game harder in every aspect simply by making controlling lara difficult.

If Eidoes truly feels that in order to get customers they have to dumb down thier games then I am sorry not for Eidos, but the people who buy the game. Just like everything else in this world (or at least America), TR has become a wimpy, user-friendly version of itself.

[edit]
and before everyone jumps on me... i DID enjoy this game. it was A LOT of fun. way better than legend, and probably a "step in the right direction"
i cant wait to finish. (which is actually the only positive... i put TR1 down so many times it took me months to finish it)
however, looking back on many things in my life i have come to realize something: the harder something is to complete, the more rewarding the completion is.

MercuryRapids
7th Jun 2007, 21:14

Just wait till you get to the Great Pyramid... I'm pulling my hair out!:mad2:

NaughtyGirl
7th Jun 2007, 21:23
I am not generally disappointed.......just...
I like the original :rasp:

I do NOT like the "focused attack" :mad2:

And I really miss the back and side jumps!!!!!!!! If I wanted to turn around I would....all this fluidity and now I can't jump properly anymore:mad2:

Otherwise....I love it:D

Paulraider
7th Jun 2007, 22:33
ive started playing it, no got any gripes over it, i'm just glad that crystal dynamics saw sense in the fact that it was worth carrying on with tomb raider.

Its a redo version of the original tomb raider, it loks stunning even on a Ps2 and just be thankful they put it on the Ps2, with all the most powerful consoles around, woorah

ellymelly
8th Jun 2007, 02:54
Firstly, I am loving this game. The graphics are insaine and they have mangaged to capture that really creepy 'alone' feeling that the first Tomb Raider had.

My only annoyance is that we still have these awkard controls. I'm on a Playstation 2 but I must admit, the best control system Tomb Raider has ever had was either 1, 2, or 3. After that they just got over complicated and irritating. I'd rather line myself up to an edge on the walk button and then make the jump myself rather then bet all my time and energy on the game fluking the jump. Also, what happened to our backflips and sideflips? Am i the only one who misses these?

I know they're trying to update lara for the new consol but honestly, the thing that made lara so much BETTER than all the other games was its control system. Sure it was hard to master, but once you did, it was really simple and intuitive. Even now if I get panicked I still try and press X to shoot things - I die... naturally.

Please Please PLEASE ignore the other games on the market and bring back Lara's control. Please... Or at the very least, make sure she can backflip herself out of the way and jump between ledges properly! :mad2:

pinkangel07
8th Jun 2007, 03:25
I knew one of these would show up sooner or later. ;)

Well, I haven't a lot of complaints... but one is that I just finished TR Mansion... like, beat it. Not TOTALLY, but.... ya know if you've played what I mean. Kinda disappointing. And... I haven't unlocked any outfits! :( Hahaha, this is due to my own lack of searching ever nook and cranny.

And I must say... the checkpoints have a love-hate relationship with me. Love, like, when I die during a puzzle I didn't know was coming... that way, I start conveniently at the beginning! Hate... Like, when I'm almost done with a sequence of jumps/swings/slides, and I die. And I start WAY. BACK. AT. THE. BEGINNING.

EXAMPLES- St. Francis' Folly, Colisseum (when you are in the balcony and jumping to the other balcony, near the end of the VERY short level), and King Midas...after the pillar falls and you have to jump around like a monkey looking for where to go next... I got a checkpoint up high... but then I fell, NEAR ENOUGH SO I DIDN'T DIE, and I had to start ALL OVER! grr... this happened at least twice...

Checkpoints do not like "Leap before you Look" people.

Trueform
8th Jun 2007, 09:29
I am at natlas mines now so I'm not finished but there are some disappointing aspects.
As someone mentioned, the shortness of levels. cistern is gone, collosseum is one smaller room.
a lot of those small jumping are gone. tr1 had lots of areas where you had to find ledges in boxed rooms and holes to climb up and it had lots more jumpsolving. annivesary skipped that mostly and just added a room with a lever.
Not really sure if I make sense there, kinda hard to explain :)

Too few enemies. All enemy encounters seem to be arenaencounters.
There's not many random enemies appearing at places you would'nt expect.

No blood! I want squishy back! Those blueyellow dots when you hit enemies don't do it for me. Heck they even appear when you hit walls. It was different in old tr games when you shot at walls.

There's way too many long and empty corridors. Anyone noticed this?
You just run run run and run. At some points there comes an enemy at the end of the corridor at the beginning of a new room. Sometimes there are traps.
They could have added just a little more meat in the corridors. simply putting 3 rats or bats or an enemy would be fun taking down while running through them.

I'm done. For now :) Other than that the game is cruelly cool. and at places really beautiful. imagine TR in 10 years or more when they could add tons of stuff in one room (treasure chamber, lots of gold and other stuff.)

handsomepete
8th Jun 2007, 15:53
I'm minorly dissapointed in the way they seem to have smashed levels together or just halved them. I was on peru and i remembered playing more boards. To me they squished the city level up and the one with the waterfall before the valley level. I remember going back and forth and a secret room that is not there anymore. Ok it's not 100% TR1 i know that, just would have been nice to see the old boards with the new look on them. Makes me scared what they did with the folly levels. They had to be the best looking boards in the original series. I'm really annoyned about Bosses, the original did not have them why did they go that route? if you didn't want to kill the t-rex you didn't have to. I liked being able to dodge him and hide in a cave. The original had that explore me feel to it. This one has the hurry up shoot the stuff, grab the loot and get out presence.

NaughtyGirl
8th Jun 2007, 16:40
finally....a rolling boulder squished me!:nut:
I was missing those :p

Trueform
8th Jun 2007, 17:20
Oh. And you never get to fight the humans...

Mangar The Dark
8th Jun 2007, 18:14
I prefer the old lara where it was a struggle just to move

Wow.... ok, now I've heard everything! :lol:

LegendLost
8th Jun 2007, 18:40
What happened to Palace Midas?!?! one of the longest levels became like, a mini level. Oh well. Fire room was awesome though.

&Jack
9th Jun 2007, 02:50
brought this game .........and started to play ........... well i am hardcore tomb raider player and i played all from 1 to this one .......... and i must say that sadly ...apart from good graphics this game is a big dissapointment .... at least on PC .........controls are pointles ............ cameras dont folow Lara from behind .......... iff u turn back the camera remain fixed behind lara and need to make mouse adjustments to get back the shoulder up behind view ... the turn run is very blocky i feel like i play 7 years old resident evil game ....... this game feel like a bad orted console game on PC ....... and old tomb raider players know what i mean ......old tomb raider engine doo the job much better ............ at this new tomb raider game u even cannot sprint .. cannot jump high enough ...... swim is a pain in the ass ....... ......in fact all this new tomb raider game is a pain in the ass ........ except the good graphics ..... but good graphics without smooth controls and game play is nothing ........... Shame on Cristal Dinamics............:(

kollosson
9th Jun 2007, 09:45
i agree with everyone about the controls, it just seems that the controls
( which i think are clumsy anyway ) get worse at a crucial moment.
The original game gave us much more freedom as you could grab any edge you could reach, in this version you can only grab what your supposed to grab thus most of the enviroment becomes untouchable and therefor less real
and basically puts the game on rails. Saying all that, i think the graphics are fantastic and the game was enjoyable but i missed the original music and i missed not being able to REALLY explore. They did some levels justice, most of Egypt was very good infact i don't think they missed a section that was present in original but apart from the oblisk and the underwater room below the sphinx all the levels were scaled down in size and content. One level i was looking forward to was Sactuary of the Scion, one of my faves from original, i was so dissapointed, the sphinx in the original was twice the size as was the whole chamber, it was the same with the Collusium, it had shrunk in size...i was expecting the opposite. Lets face it, there was no way they were going to better the original or equal it for that matter. All in all i enjoyed playing it but the point of playing this game was just to see what the levels looked like compared to original.

Trueform
9th Jun 2007, 10:14
I have no problems with the controls.

&Jack
9th Jun 2007, 10:49
i dunno why i have the impression that this game is unfinished and unpolished ................... this new tomb raider game feels like a a bad ported PS2 game on PC..controls are crapp cameras the same and this 2 ruin a game wich should be good in the older tomb raider games lara run in the field and cameras folow her from behind at this ''bad joke'' TR game feel like lara stand and the field move around her not her on the field.......the run and turns are very brutal ..pointless..........and the game play very linear ...the rooms and areas are very small...........i remember another brilliant game wich was ruined this way exactly .......... iff someone remember Deus Ex the first game was a masterpiece ............. the continuation was a crapp just like this tomb raider game cos bad awkward controls and cameras ...here out on the internet are manny custom levels 1000 x better ones like this new TR game .............very sad .......:(

yaya
9th Jun 2007, 15:26
Lets be thankful Eidos remade the game, thats better then nothing, but yes TRA is not the remake fans were hoping for. Its a scaled down, no brainer targeted at the masses (so more money for them).

It would have been pretty simple to just use the same structuring of the old levels but with today's graphics and new moves. That would have made it a true remake. What they have done here is take the most impressive rooms of TR1 and stick then together one after the other. In TR1 you have to fight your way through gloomy rooms, corridors and traps in order to eventually get to the amazing room with a temple or massive statue and it felt much more satisfying.

The game starts great, as Peru is very well done, for sure they have cut back on a few rooms and passages, but overall its just as long and challenging. My grudge begins with Greece. St Francis' Folly is a great remake but then when I got to the Colosseum I could not believe my eyes! This level is just one room! Then the Citern and Tomb Of Tihocan are just 2 rooms combined? What was CD thinking? Trying to cut corners and save time and money? I think so! At least you could have avoided lying to the fans by saying there was going to be every level as the original... shame on you! I just started Egypt so can't say for the rest but I dont expect much improvement.

Another grudge is the enemies. They are quite frequent in Peru but in the entire Greece I met up with maybe 3 crocodiles, 5 or 6 lions, 5 or 6 mini rats and 10 gorrillas... I remember the original having like 5 times that number! The the red target when you shoot then is just lame and the camera is awful so its really hard to have any fun during battles, which are just messy.

CD promised the story would be cleared up, actually its the other way around, as the story becomes totally ridiculous and confusing after Greece, more so than the original.

I have to say hats off for the beautiful graphics and the new moves, but thats about it honestly. Clearly CD have not understood a 100% what TR1 was all about. They have created something for the new generation of less demanding gamers that want instant gratification.

Leak
9th Jun 2007, 17:24
Clearly CD have not understood a 100% what TR1 was all about.
Maybe, just maybe you should consider it's just you who has not understood what TRA is all about. Me, I gave up on Tomb Raider after TR4 and was very happy to see the improvements in TRL and TRA.

And yes, I've played TR1 through on the PayStation when it was released. It's just that my glasses aren't rose tinted nowadays and the "good, old times" regarding TR1 are mostly old now, but hardly good...

np: Porn Sword Tobacco - Giftwrap Yourself, Slowly (New Exclusive Olympic Heights)

Kali84
9th Jun 2007, 19:12
I have to say hats off for the beautiful graphics and the new moves, but thats about it honestly. Clearly CD have not understood a 100% what TR1 was all about. They have created something for the new generation of less demanding gamers that want instant gratification.

Thats a pretty fair summary of TRA.

Everytime the control scheme or level design is mentioned, the word 'easy' usually works it way into the conversation. The new controls are supposedly 'easier'. The worlds are 'easier' to navigate...

It is true that Legend and TRA are dumbed down versions of TR. I honestly don't think any of you could say that Legend or TRA was a hard game. So if part of TR1's success came by way of being incredibly difficult to play... doesn't that make it part of the feel of the game?

Trueform
9th Jun 2007, 22:01
I'm done with the game and I found everything. On my own. First time ever I do that.

The cowboy is missing...........................

&Jack
10th Jun 2007, 03:16
cmon guy lets just tell is stright ............. at this TRA . Lara even cannot run in stright line ......... cannot jump higher than 30 cm from the ground cannot sprint ....cannot make fine turns ........... this kinda controls was trendy at 1998 but not at 2007 !!! the exploration is cutted off .....swim is pain in the ass ........this game dont worth more than 1 $........ only TR game controls was much smother ....... apart from than here is a few movements like side and up jumping from ledge to ledge wich is useless...gameplay is linear only the graphics worth to be mentionated the rest is a big fiasco.......

Bampire
10th Jun 2007, 03:22
I miss the classic look, in Atlantis.. .Where it feels like you're inside a body, with the pulsing walls.

Another thing I miss are the other Cistern levels, either way.. I'm glad that they put that level into the game.. When I was playing the Colosseum I thought they took off that level, only the others... =/

CharlieTrace
10th Jun 2007, 04:11
I only have one real complaint with the game: most of my time was spent shimmying. That's what you do more than anything and it's just not that fun.

Otherwise, though, I think it's an improvement over Legend and a step in the right direction for the series. If Legend has level designs at all similar to the relatively complex ones from TR1/TRA, we're in for a treat.

&Jack
10th Jun 2007, 12:18
with this new Tomb Raider series Eidos screw it off........good graphics without good smooth and intuitive controls are nothing........and the official series get worse and worse wich every new releases .. ......and i quess even the reason why ........look ....... all famous designers wich make the first TR series was left the ship..........Eidos get worry to not loose the big money source from the moust famous and succesful game in the history and give the development at a studio wich canot handle the jobb from simply motive that never make such imerssive complex game before...............the result is what we all see ........... A BIG FIASCO....and the future is not bright at all .... i think the guys from Cristal Dinamics never played the old famous series cos the controls are insane pointles and clumsy..........another brilliant game die.. hopeful for all us are here alot of great custom TR game builders wich make brilliant games and keep alive the TR fame and history forever......

Leak
10th Jun 2007, 12:27
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
You know, people would take you a lot more seriously if you'd write coherent sentences (that might even end somewhere, with a period.) and make proper use of paragraphs.

As it stands, I (and I guess I'm not alone there) can't even bring myself to read what you post.

np: The Black Dog - Virtual (Book Of Dogma)

MercuryRapids
10th Jun 2007, 13:15
I would still like a version of the original game that will play properly on a modern PC, like TR2 onwards... :rolleyes: (*prepares for flood of Glidos recommendations* ;) )

rabid metro
10th Jun 2007, 18:58
... A BIG FIASCO ...
&Jack - got it. You think TRA is a big fiasco.
now you are free to add other, new and creative thoughts to future messages.
you do not have to repeat this thought, even if this is the disappointment thread ...

i can only agree with half of what you say. that is, TRA is big ...:)

They say that like happiness, disappointment comes from within.

CharlieTrace
10th Jun 2007, 21:40
You know, I've just finished the game and I have one more dissapointment: I'm dissapointed that they won't be remaking any of the other early games. This was such a fantastic experience, I would love to see how they would have improved upon two and three.

But hey, now we can look forward to Legend 2, and who knows what'll happen in that one. :)

I haven't been this optimistic for the Tomb Raider franchise in a long time. It really feels like they've hit their stride with the series and we're in for even more great games. It's very exciting.

Bampire
10th Jun 2007, 22:16
Agreed, with the one before my post.

All I can say, is that TR8 is going to be about her finding her way into Avalon and whilst in Avalon she finds her mother, and runs into Natla once again.

TR8 AKA Mists of Avalon. >.> I'm very excited for this one.

* Oh.. My disappointment.. That'd just be that they didn't put "Unfinished Business" into it, like a bonus four levels.. Either way I'm just glad to have the game now.. And currently thinking about playing it.. Again.

&Jack
11th Jun 2007, 02:03
i dont want to repeat myself ...... but who say that the controls and gameplay is ok ..well this person i think never played the old TR series to could make the difference .... the controls is like a bad ported Console game for PC ......... whatever ..........

Joana Croft
11th Jun 2007, 02:05
there was one little glitch that was i was disappointed with.
I saw that in croft manor, on the training room, where she was swinging on a horizontal pole, her hands wouldnt grab the pole all the time. a shame =/

&Jack
11th Jun 2007, 02:05
. i must ask u hardcore TR players like me ...... why the old TR team not join Cristal Dinamics and cooperate for making the new series ?? ............ cos all see that the engine wich Cristal Dinamics make is not adapted to gameplay wich need to shine TR like at old good times .i could enumerate alot off games wich was brilliant at first and get crapp after development team changed ....... - Hitman 1 was a masterpiece all continuations a bad joke / Deus Ex 1 was brilliant ......... continuation ?? crapp and manny more .......... iff the next TR games will be maked from the same team - Cristal Dinamics - nothing good to expect in the future ....... in this new TR game when u move u feel like u stay at place and the areea turn around u ........cos the rotation axis was build around Lara not like the old but good engine - in wich lara move on the field- not the field turn with Lara ............ well this is it ... we will still could be happy to play alot off good custom levels from builders wich are 1000 x better than the ones at Cristal Dinamics wich make this bad joke new TR game

Joana Croft
11th Jun 2007, 02:11
well i have no problem with the controls, but yeah they are totally changed, but lets all be realistic, this is the new generation of games, 3D controls, should Lara get behind? I dont think so

Bampire
11th Jun 2007, 02:31
I'm sorry, but can you guys please use less periods.. Yes, two or three are the proper amount, but you don't need more than that. e.e

&Jack
11th Jun 2007, 02:39
Joana croft ?? did u play the old TR series ?? 3d controls ?? what u mean with ??clumsy pointles controls u name 3 d ??:lmao:

Qbert
11th Jun 2007, 02:54
brought this game .........and started to play ........... well i am hardcore tomb raider player and i played all from 1 to this one .......... and i must say that sadly ...apart from good graphics this game is a big dissapointment .... at least on PC .........controls are pointles ............ cameras dont folow Lara from behind .......... iff u turn back the camera remain fixed behind lara and need to make mouse adjustments to get back the shoulder up behind view ... the turn run is very blocky i feel like i play 7 years old resident evil game ....... this game feel like a bad orted console game on PC ....... and old tomb raider players know what i mean ......old tomb raider engine doo the job much better ............ at this new tomb raider game u even cannot sprint .. cannot jump high enough ...... swim is a pain in the ass ....... ......in fact all this new tomb raider game is a pain in the ass ........ except the good graphics ..... but good graphics without smooth controls and game play is nothing ........... Shame on Cristal Dinamics............:(

http://www.angelfire.com/mn/mastercartman/images/frankenstein23.jpg

TheRidster
11th Jun 2007, 03:02
Joana croft ?? did u play the old TR series ?? 3d controls ?? what u mean with ??clumsy pointles controls u name 3 d ??:lmao:

The new controls beat the old ones hands down imo. I've played all Tomb raider games. I consider myself a big fan. Playing legend on my xbox 360 was like a breath of freash air, finally Lara was easy to control. Thats way I play TR:A with my 360 contol pad. Your entitled to your opinion naturally but every review I've seen of this game have been excellent, most people seem to be happy with the game. Granted, the game is not perfect but what game is? Also in retrospect to the people from the old team being involved in making TR:A well Toby Gard, the most important man behing Tomb raider 1 was involved in making TR:A as an advisor.:o

Joana Croft
11th Jun 2007, 03:48

3D controls is that kind of control where you press left and she actually moves left, doesnt turn, thats the past. and yes i've played the tomb raider since the very first.
We all have our opinions really and I think its pointless if we all keep saying "it has good controls" "no it doesnt" we'll just waste the time we should be playing it :p

&Jack
11th Jun 2007, 08:45
''THERidster'' we speack here of the PC version of TRA not the xbox or ps2 version......at consoles may work this controls ......... but at PC without gamepad is very crapp to play it when i get close at a ledge to jump up and grabb it lara turn at side without no reason, when want to turn 45 degree Lara turn 180 to get view from back i need to adjust all the time the camera wich go crazy ,,, Lara jump so high like a broken legged 80years old man .... run like a drunk woman ........ swim like a woman without leggs in the water ....... and so ....:lmao: :lmao:

TheRidster
11th Jun 2007, 16:03
''THERidster'' we speack here of the PC version of TRA not the xbox or ps2 version......at consoles may work this controls ......... but at PC without gamepad is very crapp to play it when i get close at a ledge to jump up and grabb it lara turn at side without no reason, when want to turn 45 degree Lara turn 180 to get view from back i need to adjust all the time the camera wich go crazy ,,, Lara jump so high like a broken legged 80years old man .... run like a drunk woman ........ swim like a woman without leggs in the water ....... and so ....:lmao: :lmao:

I'm talking about the PC version! With the old Tomb raiders I was a keyboard guy and I agree with you about controlling Lara with the keyboard and mouse as it was something I could not do very well. With a gamepad however I find Legend/Anniversary the easiest Lara to control out of all the games. My suggestion is: have you tried a dual analog stick gamepad. You contol Lara with the left stick and the camera with the right stick. It may just change your experiance of the game.:)

LaraCroftLuver
11th Jun 2007, 17:52
I think it was realy hard.

traider28
11th Jun 2007, 19:40
Generally, I liked the game. But whats with the block textures everywhere! It is not like TR1 where you had to find your way. This one is like OH LOOK, I go that way! Very unrealistic. Someone must have just layed that block in the side of that rock!! Also, the size of the levels. Everything else seems to be ok!

jhonka
11th Jun 2007, 20:19
I heard about the tomb raider anniversary after it had come out in us, so it had to be ordered from there... But the game was a disappointment. First, it had no places to go, where i did not need to be. Second it had these f*ng signs appearing every time i would actually have to do something. And the third thing that i did not understand is WHY IN THE NAME OF ZEUS' BUTTHOLE *every* damn thing that i could grapple was marked with white line(and everything that hadn't marked, would be unclimbable)???????????

The game basically was robbed(to me, at least) of all it's magic. The key thing(to me) has always been the moment *I* found out how to get to that switch or climb that wall. Now everything had been ruined with too much help from the game itself. Why i did not need to find out the reason for lara turning into a golden statue and why they had robbed me the joy of finding the ledge to climb onto????? WHY????:mad2:

One more thing. Every time i had to shoot something, i felt sorry. The reason is the damn auto aim. Manually aiming worked great with max payne, so why wouldn't it work with Lara Croft?? Besides, apart from the 2 horses, every gunfight was way too easy, even with the camera showing laras frontal attributes in full screen half the timw. Love the wet shirt thing :D

Btw, the game was fairly good even with all the mistakes. The money was not wasted.

Ruz
11th Jun 2007, 22:14
Well I am kind of enjoying it as a game i its own right. My main bugbear is the fluidity of laras movement. The animations from the original game were quite simply superb and when you pressed the jump key , lara responded instantly
in a really fluid way. It was actually fun to run around as the old lara.
I don't think i have actually seen a better set of anims in a game than in the original series

She currently moves in a very imprecise ungraceful manner and its a very important aspect of the game to get right, 'cause it gradually gets more annoying as you go through the game.
The running/standing jump jump is too low ,making you think she is not very fit or sluggish.
Also notice when she turns left and right, she almost falls over,as if the animation blending is overcompensating. Very basic stuff for seasoned pros to put right
My second major beef is the amount of ledges you have to jump/shimmy across. Its just not much fun to do this. Running and jumping to grab ledges or climbing manually up steep slopes was much more fun to do, you know guessing which ledges you could actually jump on.
The bizarre way she can jump vertically straight up from is plainly quite odd looking also

Swimming is better , but still a pain in the butt. Why not just let her movements in the water match the direction she is aiming and get rid of the shift/space combo. She is not a submarine:)

The colosseum was the biggest disappointment for me. Too short and missed so many of the original puzzles.
Currently playing the midas level. Again the original was a masterpiece in level design. This one is not too bad, but contains no surprises for me. Nice looking though.
Overall good fun and gripping me , but too many bugs and minor annoyances to make me want to play this a second time.
I think the reason that you can't explore as much as with modern game engines is that you have to define collision meshes for geometry , so you can interact with scenery, hence there will be a lot of dead space that you can't interact with as it would take too long to make the extra collision meshes( just guessing here)

yeah overall , not too bad, but still room for improvement.

I am still a bit wary of about remaking such a classic game as if there was something wrong with the oriiginal. Slightly cheeky perhaps?

NaughtyGirl
12th Jun 2007, 00:53
ok I still overall like the game but do have some issues:

I hate the focus attack...seriously, I would rather just shoot for myself. Since I just got thru the centaurs and hate how whenever it would set up for attack...either I would get rushed or they would start with the green eye beams. Just irritating!

I think all I have really done is run thru long boring corridors (no boulders, no breakaway floors, no traps), shimmy, and grapple.

Backward grapple sucks. I just did a jump where she grappled to a ledge on the wall, which meant I grappled, ran left, waited until she turned right and then jumped behind to grad the ledge on the left. WTF? Now that is some flexibility there....except she can't jump a foot upward to grab a ledge LOL.

Swimming underwater is a crapshoot.:mad2:

I've got the no ammo bug...so I haven't been able to pick up ammo for about 2/3 of the game now.

I cannot stand the expressions on her face....Lara looks scared a lot now. Before she was all rough and hardcore. I can't believe in a scared Lara.

Well anyway...the graphics are awesome and there is some fun to playing this game...as long as it doesn't suck like AOD I'll play it!

&Jack
12th Jun 2007, 05:02
RUZ i am totaly agree with u ...........this game feels unfinished and unpolished ....... i think Cristal Dinamics engine dont match this kinda imersive complex gameplay..........apart from graphics anything else is a total crapp (movement/gameplay/ puzzles/swim ):eek:

Ruz
12th Jun 2007, 10:27
well i would n't say it was crap jack. i am enjoying it on the whole and there are some pretty good levels. The cistern is ace as was st francis folly. I was just posting the bits i did n't like because I am nit picky and want to see TR even better.
In fact if they only went as far as improving her movement I would be happy.

Leak
12th Jun 2007, 10:37
I've got the no ammo bug...so I haven't been able to pick up ammo for about 2/3 of the game now.
What no ammo bug? There's simply a limit to how much ammo you can carry; if you really need to pick up every last piece of ammo just take out the weapon it's for, shoot once and waste the pickup...

NaughtyGirl
12th Jun 2007, 11:19
What no ammo bug? There's simply a limit to how much ammo you can carry; if you really need to pick up every last piece of ammo just take out the weapon it's for, shoot once and waste the pickup...

if it was that simple then I would have done that...but when I have 25 shotgun bullets and she doesn't pick up shotgun bullets then something is wrong :scratch:

DUH!****

what it really appears to be is if you are full in one ammo, she won't pick up ANY new ammo of any type.

Naga
12th Jun 2007, 12:34
About the Legend engine. The controls are payable, but do not give the player complete control. In the originals I had confidence in all my actions, I knew exactly what I was going to do (ropes aside). Swimming is still a step back from what we originally had. Despite what others have been saying, I think the grapple was a good addition. It eliminates the random yet conveniently placed ropes that littered the tombs of yesterday. Its much like Indiana Jones’ whip.

The level format was better than Legend, but still not what we use to have. I only backtracked once. Everything is laid out for you, its like following a script. A whole lot more ledges and grapple rings need to be placed in the levels, to throw the player off. Eliminate the white lines, make us search for the next ledge; don’t put a flag on it.

Overall game play was good. It felt a whole lot more like a Tomb Raider game compared to Legend. The game play problems were minor, and I can live with them. The biggest problem I had with the game is the complete character change.

Crystal Dynamics killed Lara Croft. I can live with the whole “searching in memory of your dead parents” deal (despite the fact that originally her parents disapproved of her profession and disowned her, being her one character flaw and creating the tough independent Lara that doesn’t need to fit societies image). I cannot accept a Lara Croft who hesitates and questions herself when it comes to killing a lowlife thug. The quest for the Scion was NOT Lara’s first adventure, according to both Core’s Lara timeline and Crystal’s character bios. Larson was not the first person shes ever shot. Lara kills Larson and Pierre, Lara kills the cowboy, the bald man and the kid. Shes killed Yakuza gangsters, mercenaries and security guards at corporate buildings. Shes not an indiscriminate killer, but she deals with the people that get in her way in a timely fashion. She doesn’t look at the non existent blood on here hands.

This will be the last Tomb Raider game I will buy.

L3ggy
12th Jun 2007, 12:36
My disappointment of TRA was: it was too bloody easy.

shane297
12th Jun 2007, 13:18
i think TRA is her best one off all the only thing is the centours and the grappling midas palace was totally diffirent then the first tomb raider st francis folly was just awseme it was a lot easier then the first one st francis folly that is the only thing about st francis folly in TRA was the blades on the floor and the blades that come down from the ceiling other then that it was easy then the first tomb raider

Kali84
13th Jun 2007, 01:51
I cannot stand the expressions on her face....Lara looks scared a lot now. Before she was all rough and hardcore. I can't believe in a scared Lara.

Whoa! Good point, and something just dawned on me:

Remember the teaser trailer of the lost valley at the very end when the T-Rex appeared?

What was Lara's expression? Determined.

What was Lara's expression in the game upon seeing the T-Rex? Frightened!

What the heck happened the fearless Lara Croft, Eidos?

[edit]
furthermore... i think a lot of stretching of the truth was done by eidos' marketing of TRA. a lot of the things they claimed about TRA turned out simply to not be true. the biggest thing that angered me about eidos' false advertising is the level size. i remember one video interview in particular where a TRA rep claimed the levels were expanded and the scale was increased to make the worlds feel truely gigantic. I think he specifically mentioned the lost valley and st. francis folly. The lost valley was at best the same size (if you include all of the 'useless' space in the original I would say the original was bigger). The folly was similar in size, but it appeared much larger in the original as you couldnt even see the bottom in TR1! Be it restrictions on the graphics at the time or not... that made the level feel a whole lot bigger. And of course some of the major dissapointments shared by all were the miniature sized Colloseum and Palace Midas. :(

Capkeez
13th Jun 2007, 02:21
Everyone has a different skill level. What difficulty were you guys playing on? Easy? In order to produce a quality product for the consumers, Crystal Dynamics had to balance the game a little. Not too difficult for beginners, not too easy for seasoned gamers. Hence it is in-between. Personally, i found TRA More than sufficiently challenging but I can proudly say that I am no pushover n00b. My friend, whom i introduced the game to does not play games that often, yet he finished it 100% withn 3 days. I have played for 1 week and I JUST reached the lava pyramid area thing. Perhaps it was because I was taking my time. But both my friend and I felt that the puzzles were ingenious, and the replayability factor is certainly much more than other games I own, such as Half-life 2 which is a wonderful game as well.
Oh and btw, remember that this is a remake of the very first game. I don't THINK that she had killed anyone before that, and she was not as experienced at the time. I suppose it's acceptable that she is scared for doing something new like killing a person. I think you would be a little nervous too if you were going to fight a T-rex.
This is what i feel. No flaming please.

Kali84
13th Jun 2007, 02:46
I wont flame you at all Cap, everyone has thier own opinion on the matter.

I wont comment on the killing Larson part... Im not sure if she has killed anyone or not prior to this adventure.

Of course any one of us would be nervous to encounter a T-Rex, but then again, Im pretty sure we would all be too scared to single handedly enter a tomb that has never been opened and then go scaling walls, etc. Get my drift? If Lara's expressions/actions are supposed to closely mirror reality, this game wouldn't even exist :cool: Lara has always been a hard-assed, fearless explorer. To see fear on her face is kind of contradictory to her character. In the original you dont see a lot of facial expressions so you assume she is just as willing to face the T-rex as to climb up the next ledge. In TRA you see fear, and for me, it kind of killed the moment. Fear is the emotion the gamer is supposed to feel. Seeing Lara get scared didnt do anything for me at all, emotionally. In retrospect... it kind of annoys me.

I am playing on Hard by the way, and I agree this game is easy. But no where near as easy as Legend, so I guess I cant complain too much.

Perhaps the 'easy' gripes we see on this board come mainly from seasoned vets that have encountered similar puzzles before. Or at least understand the thinking that is necessary to solve these types of puzzles quickly.

I can honestly say that some puzzles which are supposed to be incredibly difficult click for me instantly and I dont even stop to look. Others stop me in my tracks and keep me guessing.

Capkeez
13th Jun 2007, 02:50
lol. experience? maybe they should invent new ideas for puzzles.
Find The square root of 8.932737451X10^17!:D

*edit* Like, holy crap. this post is the number 1,337th post on the TRA forums. woot!
http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/6780/1337ek5.th.jpg (http://img394.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1337ek5.jpg)

Kali84
13th Jun 2007, 03:04
l33t!

but im not sure what youre talking about with the square root thing. are you being sarcastic?

you know... the original had puzzles with ground-breaking ideas behind them. have game designers exhausted every possible new idea for puzzles already?

Capkeez
13th Jun 2007, 03:11
l33t!

but im not sure what youre talking about with the square root thing. are you being sarcastic?

you know... the original had puzzles with ground-breaking ideas behind them. have game designers exhausted every possible new idea for puzzles already?

Yeah of course i was kidding lol. and whoops, is thread number, not post number:( but anyways 1337 is still a lucky number. perhaps they could play around with the physics engine. that would make some very interesting puzzles. More stuff like the tesla cannon in TRL? That one was interesting...

Tomb Radar
13th Jun 2007, 07:39
I did the TRex battle last night. I took a single hit, and that was only because my joypad was acting, which can happen on any game. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the battle, but I was expecting more of Teddy Rex. :(

schmutly
13th Jun 2007, 10:23
Well.....i remember playing TR1 with a 4mb Matrox Mystique Video card and the visuals were, still today, untouchable. I awe gasped when i saw Egypt levels and they were the most memorable for me in the whole game.

And reason for my post. Where the heck are the colors?????
Anyone looked at some Egyptian books lately? The scenery looks bland and dull and quite a disappointment :(

Wheres the rich gold and blue tones which really made the Egypt level stand out??
Man...i saw some screen shots b4 release and hoped the monitor i was looking at was in need of gamma heaven...but alas, i wont be playing this again as the visuals in the Egyptians levels are lacking any AWE inspiring COLORS.....um there's that word again....COLORS.

Lastly....Toby...your a genius; the TR1 willl remain my greatest game...it was very immersive,colorful,fun,great movement and the first game i couldnt put down. Glad you haven't got your FULL name to this product. I hope note?!!!

ElectroBoy
13th Jun 2007, 12:04
The whole game was a dissapointment.

The Coliseum was the worst. For some reason, I really enjoyed the Coliseum in the first game.

Yeah. I'm strange.

Oh, and all the levels were way too short. I thought this game would have been more challenging than the first one. How wrong was I?

And the enemies were easy to kill. The T-Rex, Natla, that thing at the beginning of the last level. All too easy.

Rant over.

NaughtyGirl
13th Jun 2007, 12:23
Oh and btw, remember that this is a remake of the very first game. I don't THINK that she had killed anyone before that, and she was not as experienced at the time. I suppose it's acceptable that she is scared for doing something new like killing a person. I think you would be a little nervous too if you were going to fight a T-rex.
This is what i feel. No flaming please.

This was not her first adventure....**** . That's why Natla hired her...because she had a reputation. And no I don't expect Lara to be scared...she's a crazy wench. She smiles and gets off on the adrenaline rush! this version has Lara looking like a punk...

And like my friend told me when he was showing me how to shoot....you don't carry guns if you don't plan to use then :p

Mangar The Dark
13th Jun 2007, 12:44
The whole game was a dissapointment.

And the enemies were easy to kill. The T-Rex, Natla, that thing at the beginning of the last level. All too easy.

Rant over.

If you though the t-rex was too easy to kill in this one, you must have absolutely despised the t-rex in the original, considering how much easier it was back then.

And like my friend told me when he was showing me how to shoot....you don't carry guns if you don't plan to use then

That doesn't mean you have to ENJOY using them. Police officers carry guns, but plenty of them don't get a rush out of shooting people, and many are actually deeply bothered when they HAVE to use them. Soldiers carry guns, but some get traumatized over actually having to kill someone at close range. In fact, I think anyone who can look someone in the eye and kill them without feeling anything is a bit deranged.

I like the fact that Lara seems to have a conscience these days. In the old games, she was almost as bad as the villains. Breaking into museums and shooting the security guards? Killing construction workers in the Chunnel? Breaking into Von Croy's building and killing his employees so she could steal from him? It became harder and harder to see Lara as the protagonist.

I also like the fact that she's scared when encountering the t-rex. It's a fricken T-REX! She ought to be scared. Remember Indiana Jones looked pretty damn scared when the boulder came after him in Raiders. That's what makes a hero brave-- dealing with situations that make them scared. If they have no fear about anything, they're not really being brave by doing what they do. (besides, we don't know if Lara was scared in TR1 when facing the T-Rex because we never got to see her face.)

ElectroBoy
13th Jun 2007, 14:23
Actually, I found the T-Rex easier to kill in this one, rather than the original.

Capkeez
13th Jun 2007, 14:26
but it's still a big fricken dinosaur. a carnivorous one.

LisaB1962
13th Jun 2007, 17:06
I agree seeing a giant Trex in flesh 65 million years after (we've been told) they all died out would be a maalox moment for anyone.

As for Lara getting all misty about killing a person, I haven't seen the scene. I don't like knowing too much about Lara though. They've fleshed her out too much in the newer games. I preferred the enigma Lara who was really a loose cannon and played by her own rules. Don't get me wrong--I didn't really like Lara invading government installations and killing government employees doing their jobs; I do think that's a bit OOC for what I think Lara is all about. On the other hand, it's just a game and you have shoot enemies in a TR game. Just one of the game's gimmicks.

But neither do I think a woman who is as skilled and packs as much weaponry as Lara would get too broken up over killing a guy who would have killed her (or worse.)

Even if you inject all the new "touchy-feely" stuff into Lara, the truth is she plays a rough game with rough individuals. She lives on the edge of an unregulated and very competitive "industry." She knows she's not the only person out there looking for these one of a kind items, and she's as desperate and determined to get her hands on them as the other guy is. They all know the score, and they all take the risk. It's a high stakes game where winners takes all and losers take a dirt bath.

Kali84
13th Jun 2007, 18:41
the trex battle would have to be a tie in toughness.
in the original you are totally unprepared for it and when the trex rounds the corner you have no where to run. upon your first entry into the lost world, you most likely end up battling the trex outside. lara is too slow to not take damage from the trex. if you manage to discover the cavern entrance and get inside then its fairly easy, its just a matter of making him appear on your screen. that is of course taking the easy way out-- at least there was a choice!
in TRA the trex battle is impossible to win without using the adrenaline dodge move. considering moves like that are designed so that everyone will be able to use them, they are simple to learn and execute. the only way you can die against the trex in TRA is by your own error of not pressing the correct keys. lara is certainly fast enough to out maneuver the trex.

i prefer to not have cutscenes introducing bosses, and i certainly didnt like the confined arena setup.

boss fights to me are boring and worthless. there is a pre-determined way to kill them, and once you figure that out it becomes a repetitive boring sequence. of course, leading up to the "ah-ha" moment is incredibly infuriating as you can shoot as many bullets as lara carries and still not do any damage! silly IMO. more empty gameplay that took designers hours upon hours to think up. kind of similar to all of the ledges.

NaughtyGirl
13th Jun 2007, 18:49
I killed the T Rex the SAME way on TR1

back when I could do my own side jumps and dodging :rasp:

didn't need no fancy schmancy focus hocus pocus attacks:eek:

13th Jun 2007, 18:52
Did anyone notice, that during the interactive T-Rex cutscene, you run back in the direction of the way you entered the lost valley, but after it you pop up outside a temple the other end of the valley?

Taurus
13th Jun 2007, 18:54
My Disappointment is them copying in "Speedkill" idea from prince of persia 3, which takes the skill away.
And few levels like TR: Legends.

NaughtyGirl
14th Jun 2007, 03:09
this game is frustrating as all get out...I don't know if it's good or bad anymore. Fighting to get to the top of the pyramid, and the camera angles and the will she/nill she grapple, and the stupid checkpoint system are just irking me to no end.

I miss whatever game it was you could save whenever so when I finished fighting something I could save and then focus on my next move instead of having to fight it over and over again because the following moves lead to death until you know what you need to do....

And having to constantly refocus the camera, while jumping to avoid enemies, while having to press the fire button constantly instead of just being able to auto fire is really bugging...why do I have to press so many buttons at one time?

:mad2:

LisaB1962
14th Jun 2007, 05:43
I agree the button mashing has been overdone in this game.

Tomb Radar
18th Jun 2007, 08:14
I got to Egypt last night. The only disappointment I've had so far is that the Temple of Midas ended. That level was pure genius.

davyrocket
18th Jun 2007, 12:59

I have to agree with you there. The main problem is resetting the camera to position it behind her again. WHY? What ever happened to the "fixed" camera like it use to be when Core Designs was making the TR games. I am so sick and tired of having to load/reload 10 to 15 times because of the "new" camera views. Like when you have to make a backwards jump. the camera is now in front of Lara, Your sliding down, you have to 1st press "J" button to turn the camera behind her again, then press space to jump and hope like HEL* you make it. Thats CRAZY! I think there needs to be an "option" (meaning if you want that feature or not) to have the fixed camera, and yes even a quick save. I like a challenge, but not like this. I have to stop playing for awhile because this game pisses me off so much. Just my opinion though.
So far I have to give this game about a 2 out of a 10 review. :mad: Also. Why can't they leave Lara alone? I mean she looked awesome in Legends. Now she has boobs like Pam Anderson. **** She is a Tomb raider not a Life Guard at Bay watch. If I want to see big boobs, I will watch Bay watch. :eek: Again just my opinion.

Bioforge
18th Jun 2007, 21:39
Yes I also found the camera angles pretty bad,they really must do something about this in the next game. I personally didn't like the grapple or the adrenalin dodge, I found that these skills we're more trouble than they're worth. I could live with the grapple, simply because it worked most of the time but the adrenalin dodge was a pure pain to pull off :mad2: and for me, not really worth the aggravation! (I say get rid of it for the next installment) other than that..... it's a good game.

Rai
18th Jun 2007, 21:48
I'm disappointed that so many peeps are disappointed. :(

davyrocket
18th Jun 2007, 22:23
Well I have to honestly say that I have been a long time loyal TR fan. Up until TRL, That one was not as bad as this one. I was upset about the free look camera view in that one, but not as difficult as TRA. If CD is going to continue making TR games this way. I won't be a TR fan any longer let alone buy them anymore. I actually liked TR: AOD, I know alot that did not. I know Core Designs was not going in the direction Eidos liked, but they could have discussed it alittle longer. I take that 2 back..Make it a 1 or 0. This game and any other game for that matter is suppose to be fun...HA HA, its done nothing but piss alot of people off from what I've read so far. I really hope Edios or CD actually reads they're own forums, and listens. If you do...Word of advice to you. It is suppose to be about making the customer happy, and your not doing that. You might just lose your customers! That is all.

TheRidster
18th Jun 2007, 23:04
Well I have to honestly say that I have been a long time loyal TR fan. Up until TRL, That one was not as bad as this one. I was upset about the free look camera view in that one, but not as difficult as TRA. If CD is going to continue making TR games this way. I won't be a TR fan any longer let alone buy them anymore. I actually liked TR: AOD, I know alot that did not. I know Core Designs was not going in the direction Eidos liked, but they could have discussed it alittle longer. I take that 2 back..Make it a 1 or 0. This game and any other game for that matter is suppose to be fun...HA HA, its done nothing but piss alot of people off from what I've read so far. I really hope Edios or CD actually reads they're own forums, and listens. If you do...Word of advice to you. It is suppose to be about making the customer happy, and your not doing that. You might just lose your customers! That is all.

The game is not perfect and I have my own problems with some aspects of the game. But overall I feel it is a great game and so do alot of people. They are not going to lose their customers because the amount of people who are really unhappy with the game seem to be a small minority.

TRBeth
19th Jun 2007, 00:23
There's so much good that can be said about this game, but since this is a "bad" topic, I''ll chime in with the many others about the repetitive ledge/wall/slamming walls/jumping obstacles. Obviously jumping and ledges are an integral aspect of Tomb Raider, but the difficulty of just manoeuvring some of the physical obstacle/jumps was way over the top. If a maneuver requires more than a few tries by many people, then something is very wrong. And when these obstacles follow one after the other, after the other, etc., etc., then the game becomes a chore rather than a joy. The goal is to entertain not torture gamers.

Now, obviously there are some that enjoy this level of difficulty and that is why there should be a HARD setting for gameplay. Easy, should mean that you can maneuver with relative ease through the game, and Medium means some difficulty, but its not a friggin B(Word) to get through.

Likewise with adredline dodges. If the gamer likes, turn the option on. But it should be an option, not a mandatory manuever. Some, if not most, like to take down our Rex and and Horseys the old fashion way.

Frankly Peru and the Grecko Roman levels were near perfect. Egypt, things started to go way too difficult and monotounes to be enjoyable by many.

You have it in your CD. You proved yourself with Peru and Greece Levels.

TRBeth
19th Jun 2007, 00:29
There's so much good that can be said about this game, but since this is a "bad" topic, I''ll chime in with the many others about the repetitive ledge/wall/slamming doors/jumping obstacles. Obviously jumping and ledges are an integral aspect of Tomb Raider, but the difficulty of just manoeuvring some of the physical obstacle/jumps was way over the top. If a maneuver requires more than a few tries by many people, then something is very wrong. And when these obstacles follow one after the other, after the other, etc., etc., then the game becomes a chore rather than a joy. The goal is to entertain not torture gamers.

Now, obviously there are some that enjoy this level of difficulty and that is why there should be a HARD setting for gameplay. Easy, should mean that you can maneuver with relative ease through the game, and Medium means some difficulty, but its not a friggin B(Word) to get through.

Likewise with adrenaline dodges. If the gamer likes this, turn the option on. But it should be an option, not a mandatory maneuver. Some, if not most, like to take down our Rex and and Horsies the old fashion way--guns blazing using agility and killer instinct wits.

Frankly, Peru and the Greco Roman levels were near perfect. Egypt, things started to go way too difficult and monotonous to be enjoyable by many.

You have it in your CD. You proved yourself with Peru and Greece Levels.

Demarest
19th Jun 2007, 02:29
I'm disappointed that so many peeps are disappointed. :(Amen. I realize this is the complaint thread, but...

I'm seeing a few posts saying Eidos lied to them. WAY back before Jurassic Park was even in theaters, you could get Jurassic Park cups at Burger King. It was then that I realized that too much hype is just going to take away from the experience. I knew nothing about this game going into it except that it was meant to be a kinda sorta not really remake of the first. I LOVE the first, so I was interested. I played Croft Manor first (as always) and the complexity, visuals, and methods of puzzle solving had me giggling. I knew I was in for a real treat. More on that in a moment...

In the early days, the rigid, mathematical style of Lara's movements was what put the most people off. I am logical by nature, so I adored the predictability of her motion. I can't think of a single other game that delivers in this manner. As time marched on and technology evolved, I knew the day would come for Lara to be mouse controllable. I honestly had no idea how they were going to pull it off. Despite controls being the #1 gripe in this thread, I thought they did a fantastic job. And since I had not played Legend, the movements available to me and the complexity of Croft Manor let me know I was in for a real treat. This was hype based on experience, not words from a producer that's going to say good words because he's selling a product.

I am a long time Tomb Raider fan. I even have a lesser PC that I keep JUST because TR requires an ISA sound card. Starting with 2, we got more into cityscapes and fighting people. It's not what TR was about and it didn't make it fun. Still, the ability to flip under water, the Grenade Launcher... It was a good game. 3's ability to hope worlds was innovative. I can't say that I much cared for it though since again, more cityscapes and fighting people. LR (4) was a breath of fresh air. A major return to TOMB raiding. The ability to move in and out of worlds was innovative but actually made the game feel more labor-intensive than is enjoyable. Chronicles was alright. Small, but that's all it was supposed to be. AOD... this is where the series lost me. I never finished the game and not because I got stuck somewhere. The challenge was there, and I like the presumed bad girl avoiding multiple groups premise. But city scapes again! I never played Legend. The trailers were magnificent, but I couldn't justify picking it up having never finished AOD. BTW, I did play the Golds as well.

A little more history into myself if I may. As I probably gave away with my Jurassic Park in theaters comment, I'm older. I used to have an Atari 2600. I had a NES and a SMS where games HAD to have good gameplay to survive because they could not sell themselves on the graphics front. As the technology got better, I saw more and more games getting worse because they were relying too much on visuals. What do we have here? Remarkably stunning game... that is shorter than the original. BUT, Anniversary wasn't at all lacking in the gameplay department. Yes, how to proceed was frequently obvious, and this is to its detriment. Still, some of the puzzles were hard climbing the chute to the third Scion left me frequently taking breathers after segments because they were just that exhilirating. Thinking back to how long and complex TR's levels were, this one could've been more elaborate. Still, as its own game and as a remake, this game wasn't at all disappointing.

In fact, one of my complaints about the TR series was that the games weren't that replayable. Once you knew the puzzles, it was mostly busy work with the nostalgia being the only source of enjoyment. With unlockables, a time trial mode, varying difficulties... Anniversary has more replay value than the rest of the series combined. I'm looking forward to that, and in a stunning setting.

Notice lots of complaints about the camera too. My only complaint there is that 20 is max mouse sensitivity. The mouse feels like it has a delay, so 20 was really just where it started to become pallatable. That said, there were only two times the camera disappointed me. The first being ANY time I was on a ledge and some critter was just beneath me and I was shooting them. Not that I HAD to look down, but if I wanted to, I had to keep moving my mouse up. By nature, you can only move a mouse so far ;) I don't want to have to keep picking it up to watch the animal I'm shooting. The other time was in Natla's mines, climbing down the ladder towards the blue circuit. I hadn't been down there yet, so I wanted to see what I was approaching. The confined chute meant I wasn't able to see at all.

Since I seem to have only good things to say about the game, what are me complaints? The first may seem silly to others, but it matters to me. The PC game MUST be played in 32-bit graphics. I keep my desktop at 16 bit because HOMM3 requires that to be able to play in windowed mode. As such, I run all my games in 16-bit so that alt+tabbing in and out of the game doesn't wear out my monitor by switching modes and also doesn't keep me waiting. Not true here. My other complaint is that some of the menus ingame REQUIRE the Enter key to be pressed. Not what you have set for Fire or Interact or just any old button (like when you find new items). The ENTER button only. Well with my left hand on WASD and my right on the mouse, this isn't at all useful to me. Sure I could just sweep with the mouse but... that delay again. Neither of these detract from gameplay though, so no biggie just the same.

Sometimes the puzzles stumped me. Othertimes, my path seemed a little on the easy side. I too found most all artifacts/relics my first time through, which is disappointing and a direct price for fairly linear level paths. Sometimes the enemies seemed scarce, sometimes sparse. At the end of the day, you just have to accept that this is a new game whether it resembles an old one or not. Being that I"ve played TR many times over the years, I felt the game had a good mix of familiar areas and new ones. But I think if every poster in this thread never knew a thing about the game until they were playing it and kept an open mind that this IS a new game, almost all of the complaints would be wiped out. Yes, I sometimes jumped forward off a wall run when I tried to jump backwards. Yes I sometimes found myself overrunning or underjumping some ledge to ledge. With all the improvements and for the first time since TR actually adhering to the TOMB RAIDER aspect of the game, I think all is forgiven and then some.

Lastly, I just wanted to comment on the complaints about killing Larson and Lara's conscience struggle. As somebody pointed out, nobody's happy to take a human life. I've been in self-defense situations where just having to decide whether or not to pull a gun on somebody (that was begging for it!) left me queezy for three days. Liberals tell us to fear guns, Hollywood overglorifies guns, which only make the sheep fear them worse. I was very happy to see Lara portrayed as somebody who spelunkered for sport and wasn't looking to kill another human being. The only part about that that was wrong is that he was going to kill her, so it wasn't like she murdered him. But the story reflected this, which is a refreshing change of pace. The video game industry takes a lot of heat for such things and while I think they should continue on just to piss off all the right people, it's a nice alternative that showed that her guns were tools of survival, not weapons of mass destruction.

Oh, and call me crazy, but I was very happy to see Stella's name in the credits. Being that this was an hommage to the series and the players, this was just the right thing to do.

I hope that TR8 will be more complexAnniversary IS the eighth Tomb Raider.

Ghostwolfalpha
19th Jun 2007, 08:20
for PC version of TR:A

I got to the Palace of Midas level and I tried the famous "golden touch death" on Lara but I'm disappointed with the results.

1. Back in TR1 when Lara noticed she was getting transformed she started to struggle and moan and screams in pain, in TRA Lara the gold transformation is way too fast and apparently there no struggle attempt nor even a whimper.

2. Graphics glitches: Lara's long ponytail, pistols and shotguns and parts of her fingers can be seen unaffected by the transformation, come on fix this bug.

3. Low polygon Lara model: The gold Lara model reveals just how low quality its polygon counts once the original texture and bump maps are replaced with gold maps, it looked as if the blocky TR1 Lara model has returned, oh my. Crystal Dynamics TR design team should have used better gold texture and bump maps, and might want even consider boost some more polygons into Lara to improve model quality.

I'm running the game at max settings, effects all on and antialiasing at 4X, display resolution at 1280X800 so I don't somehow think this may anyway be hardware limitations or problems.

CPU: Pentium Dual-Core (T2060) clocking at 1.6 GHz
RAM: 2 Gb
Graphics device: nVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 with 256 Mb VRAM

&Jack
27th Jun 2007, 02:19
i read all the threads and i respect everybody opinion .but Lara movement are no more so natural and predictable like was untill CD take the charge.......this is not a shooter game to need mouse...... this is adventure game..... cameras dont folow lara how sould.....swiming is a pain in the ass......jumping wich need precision is pain in the ass too grappling is a bad joke cos pointles movement....jumping up is a joke too cos lara jump so high like my grandma after broke she's legg........levels are short and moustly strightforward..............total sadness ......

Lara Cruz
27th Jun 2007, 03:05
Cistern: ONE boooooooooooring puzzle, i mean come on?
Colloseum: That was... short and easy and.. .Dissapointing
Whole atlantis: I cant believe they changed the awsome platform jumping -diffrerent puzzle's to platform wall run over and over again. And final conflict wasnt tense at all, where was the shaking? The sound of collapsing? I felt i could take my time on my way out of the exploding pyramid..
Palace Midas: Where was the swirch puzzle? They didnt even replace it.. They just removed it. And where is the fourth lead bar? Or right.. its allready inside and turned into gold.. It was the most complicated and fun one to get:(
Tomb of Tihocan: Dosent count as a level. After the cistern you jump in some water, swim, pull a switch, fight a boss and your done.. I know the cistern and ToT was combined, but they were short..

I thought this game was going to be 'bigger' they cut down something in every level. Blerh!

However, i LOVE the game ;) I just hate those things, and possibly more, but cant think of more ATM.

Blind Intentions
28th Jun 2007, 08:11
I’m surprised that more people aren't upset about the City of Vilcabamba level. It was beautiful I must admit, but everything had been downsized and scrunched together.

I’m not forgiving Crystal for the atrocious mansion anytime soon. Once again we are ripped off of her beautiful estate. Now that Winston has lost all his weight he can out run Lara and beat her to every room of the house? Creepy...

Other than that...absolutely loved it. :)

28th Jun 2007, 08:22
And where is the fourth lead bar? Or right.. its allready inside and turned into gold.. It was the most complicated and fun one to get:(

There only ever were THREE gold bars.

Lara Cruz
28th Jun 2007, 10:31
There only ever were THREE gold bars.

Yes your right, my bad. But what I ment was that the long passage route was replaced by something FAR shorter, wich was the most exploring and fun bar to find...
(A little embarresed:o)

Ricardo221
28th Jun 2007, 14:43
Yes your right, my bad. But what I ment was that the long passage route was replaced by something FAR shorter, wich was the most exploring and fun bar to find...
(A little embarresed:o)

She means this [pasted from another post]:

The single most amazing experience for me in TR1: The sheer size of Midas's Palace, especially getting that last lead bar: go in the room downstairs, pull the block which knocks down the ceiling, climb around the sandy destruction, get to the top with the alligator pool, jump across the huge chasm onto the tiny ledge, shimmy to a small cave, make your way around the upper perimeter of the level, pass through the ape garden, climb up and jump onto the palace roof, and finally get that lead bar!

TRA's version: grapple 3 rings on the column support, pull them down, the column falls and - plink plonk - there's the lead bar!

NaughtyGirl
28th Jun 2007, 15:16
TRA's version: grapple 3 rings on the column support, pull them down, the column falls and - plink plonk - there's the lead bar!

it was so simple...I tried to make it more complicated-I thought I had to go back up and try to jump through the column area to get the bar :lol: :lol: it took me 15 minutes and then I realized the bar was right there LOL.

this is why I need a walkthrough!

I

Demarest
28th Jun 2007, 16:11

The single most amazing experience for me in TR1: The sheer size of Midas's Palace, especially getting that last lead bar: go in the room downstairs, pull the block which knocks down the ceiling, climb around the sandy destruction, get to the top with the alligator pool, jump across the huge chasm onto the tiny ledge, shimmy to a small cave, make your way around the upper perimeter of the level, pass through the ape garden, climb up and jump onto the palace roof, and finally get that lead bar!

Be fair. That might've been all you had to do for that bar, but you omitted the part where you had to do all the tricky manuevering in the room above just to open the next section altogether. :whistle:

28th Jun 2007, 19:26

Oh I see what you mean!

Ricardo221
28th Jun 2007, 19:43
Be fair. That might've been all you had to do for that bar, but you omitted the part where you had to do all the tricky manuevering in the room above just to open the next section altogether. :whistle:

I know... but it still just leads back to the main room with Midas. Still lots of "nook and cranny" exploration left out of the original.

As for "be fair" - there are 4 levels that I can never be fair with. Midas, Coliseum, Cistern, and Atlantis.

Now that I think about it... why did Greece get the Royal Shaft? Peru was pretty innovative, and Egypt was just damn beautiful, so why did most of the shortcuts and omissions come from Greece? They even removed the man-porn murals with 8 naked guys standing behind each other LOL. They must have thought it was a ****

Mangar The Dark
28th Jun 2007, 19:56
Now that I think about it... why did Greece get the Royal Shaft?

Interesting question.
I enjoyed all of it, but you're right, Greece did seem to be severely cut.
Well, St. Francis Folly was awesome, and better than the original by far, so no complaints there. I liked The Coliseum a lot as its own level, but compared to the TR1 version, this did feel very short. The Cistern, I thought, was "okay", but the Tomb Of Tihocan was practically non-existant (odd, since they actually named the level "Tomb Of Tihocan," but most of the time is spent in the Cistern.)

To be fair to Palace Midas, okay, it was severely cut, but at least the fire pillar room in this version obliterates the fire pillars in the original.

I wonder if the Greece levels were done last? Maybe they were running out of time?
As I said, judged on their own, they were good levels, but after getting used to how they were in TR1, these felt so tiny in comparison.

boots
28th Jun 2007, 20:06
Now that I think about it... why did Greece get the Royal Shaft? Peru was pretty innovative, and Egypt was just damn beautiful, so why did most of the shortcuts and omissions come from Greece? They even removed the man-porn murals with 8 naked guys behind each other LOL. They must have thought it was a ****

Man, I don't remember that mural. :scratch: They should have left those in!

You're right though. I haven't played the original in a while, but my better memories of it are of the ridiculously huge rooms in Greece - probably too big to qualify as rooms, maybe I should call them caverns. Just entering them made you feel so tiny. I was really looking forward to exploring them in the new engine, only to find that they weren't there. :( Egypt seems to have ended up with all the large intimidating rooms, that's hardly fair.

I wasn't looking forward to the fire room since that was one of the most annoying parts for me, but I actually enjoyed it in TRA. Go figure. I also liked having the main cistern puzzle all in one room so you knew what the heck you were doing, but the fact that just the one room comprised most of a level that was basically that and a boss fight isn't so good.

Dirty Little Secret
28th Jun 2007, 21:35
When I first heard that Eidos was going to redo the first TR with new gen graphics, I was very excited. How very wrong I was, this game has been a huge disappointment for me. Don't get me wrong, the graphics and scenery are gorgeous, the game is a joy to look at, but it is ruined by an awful control system. The "wall run" element is HORRIBLE!! I've never played Prince of Persia, and based on my experience with TR:A, I never will. I've stopped playing at the Great Pyramid level, I've grown too frustrated to continue. One of the great things about earlier TR games was the "replay" value, finishing the game felt like an accomplishment, but I always wanted to go back and play again from the beginning. I've given up and walked out on this one like a bad movie. Games are supposed to be FUN, not so frustrating that you want to throw the controller out the window. My next 30 dollars, I'll go downtown and have a homeless man punch me in the face, it'll be more enjoyable then to play the game for 10 seconds, die, and watch that darn loading screen for 30 seconds, die, loading screen, die, loading screen, die, bite myself I'm so angry, loading screen, die....
So, in short, the great memories I have of past tomb raiding will have to remain in the past, I'm done with Eidos and Crystal Dynamics.

Ricardo221
28th Jun 2007, 22:44
Man, I don't remember that mural. :scratch: They should have left those in!

The man-porn in TR1 was found mostly in the Colosseum along the inner walls of the arena. I think there was also more of them in the Midas room with the 5 switches.

They weren't "naked" of course, but if you blurred your vision just enough... like trying to see that stupid 3D image within a collage of nonsense posters.

LisaB1962
2nd Jul 2007, 17:05
The "wall run" element is HORRIBLE!! I've never played Prince of Persia, and based on my experience with TR:A, I never will.

POP controls nothing like Lara. You WILL enjoy the platforming in POP. Best platforming EVA, IMO.

Cyber Mantis
4th Jul 2007, 04:32
Over all im pleased most of the things I didnt like with Legend where fixed.

My one Gripe is the boss battles like the T-Rex for example I would have much prefered a straight up battle that early on like in TR1. Pump a butt load of bullets into him to bring him down rather then the make him crash into spiked logs thing. I would even liked it if there were two ways to kill him a harder pump him full of lead way and a easier make him run into logs way, that way on replay I could offer more of a challenge.

He was almost too easy once you figured out how to kill him.

boots
4th Jul 2007, 05:01
My one Gripe is the boss battles like the T-Rex for example I would have much prefered a straight up battle that early on like in TR1. Pump a butt load of bullets into him to bring him down rather then the make him crash into spiked logs thing. I would even liked it if there were two ways to kill him a harder pump him full of lead way and a easier make him run into logs way, that way on replay I could offer more of a challenge.

He was almost too easy once you figured out how to kill him.

It is possible to kill him just by shooting him. I invariably miss 2 of the 3 spike logs, so most of the time I just shoot the heck out of him, use AD, and hope I position myself right (I don't.)

Plenty of people have done it even without using adrenaline dodge. There's a challenge, but I don't think I'd have the patience for it. :rolleyes:

Cyber Mantis
4th Jul 2007, 05:21
Oh didnt even know you can kill him without making him crash into the spikes, always seemed like his health didnt move no matter how many bullets I pumped into him.

I have to try that though

ladylinnycroft
4th Jul 2007, 19:51
i have to say i find the jumps a little frustrating to say the least...there simply is no margin for error,and this leads to putting the game away for me as i cannot be bothered with it anymore...the smashing walls with the pole jumps are a joke..timing is obviously critical,but when lara won't even stand upright on the last pole before the door, and you have to press the darn triangle button to steady her but you don't have the time before she gets squished, it's frustrating....i must have tried 20 times or more without any success...
I am a very loyal Tr fan but Anniversary has had me swearing on more than one occasion, why do some of the tasks have to be so hard...the good points about anniversary are the beautiful environments....they are absolutely stunning and the attention to detail is amazing...i find myself wanting to explore everything within that level because the scenery is sooo gorgeous

carlitoo
11th Jul 2007, 17:29

1) eidos lied to us
they said they made the levels much larger and more grand... lost valley was smaller, the folly was MUCH smaller, and palace midas was almost non existant. and the cistern and tomb of tihocan combined into 1 level? Are you serious?

please... we dont need this garbage in our games. its not suspenseful to watch the trex grab raptors while we sit watching, knowing we are not in any danger. walking into the miniature colloseum was a joke too. oh no, a monkey tossed a block at lara how scary. on with the gun fight please.
if eidos wanted suspense they should have actually copied tr1... animals jumping out of no where with super spooky music.

we arent watching movies here, eidos. this game is all about the PLAYER exploring the world. When you jump to cut scenes everytime something cool happens it puts gameplay in the backseat.
you shouldnt have to try to envoke emotions in a video game through cutscenes, it should come as a result of the gamplay itself.

4) pace
this game's pace is at light speed compared to TR1. lara runs at about 20 miles per hour and has an endless amount of energy to scale the endless amount of ledges.
its the small things like lara's slower jog in tr1, the way she struggled everytime she pulled up on a ledge, or the way you had to stop and line up jumps EVERYTIME that slowed the pace down and gave the player a chance to be immersed into lara's world.

5) there was no fear
Never once was i scared to meet an enemy or make a jump. In TR1 every corner was potential for death, so it took me time just to build up the courage to continue.
Or how about when enemies came around. I just kept jumping around like an idiot because the new lara is so agile she can do backflips over giant apes like its no big deal.
I prefer the old lara where it was a struggle just to move, so it created a real sense of fear when enemies came near because you knew you had to act quickly and precisely to make it out alive.

6) ledges
maybe some that... i dont know... lead to no where? were just there so that it wasnt so obvious where to go next...

finally... i hate the new controls. i have to say it. regardless of what everyone else thinks, i know what feels right in my own head.
the controls MADE the tomb raider games. they were a total pain in the butt, yes, but they were the reason TR felt like TR.
They made the game harder in every aspect simply by making controlling lara difficult.

If Eidoes truly feels that in order to get customers they have to dumb down thier games then I am sorry not for Eidos, but the people who buy the game. Just like everything else in this world (or at least America), TR has become a wimpy, user-friendly version of itself.

[edit]
and before everyone jumps on me... i DID enjoy this game. it was A LOT of fun. way better than legend, and probably a "step in the right direction"
i cant wait to finish. (which is actually the only positive... i put TR1 down so many times it took me months to finish it)
however, looking back on many things in my life i have come to realize something: the harder something is to complete, the more rewarding the completion is.

Was going to write something but this post sums it up for me. Completely agree with everything said here.

Psyclone
11th Jul 2007, 17:46
A couple of complaints.
1. The camera angles SUCK at times and will get you killed when you try to AD when the camera angle is not postioned correctly to your key pressing.

...and setting reality aside(I realize this is a video game but..), one human against a T-Rex in an arena roughly the size of a football field!?

2. Putting me in an EFFing arena with a T-Rex. WTF!? The only thing missing was a cheering crowd!
Just before the cut scene you had a few places to run and hide when you were battling the raptors. The T-Rex comes out and another cut scene later you're in the opposite part of the map (from where you couldn't get to before) just like magic.
Stupid!
No sense.
The WHOLE map (as small as it seemed compaired to TR1) should have been open to run around but you're magically put into an arena.
Keeping the whole map open would have made for a more interesting solution instead of 'transporting' you to another previously inaccessable (and then inescapable) area.

There was a reason for this area though (as it was scripted) as the T-Rex has to fall and destroy a portion of a ledge for you to continue. Which seemed very weird as I had killed the beast ("all but" because of the cut scene) on the other side of the arena!!?
I just thought this portion was ridiculous and seemed very retro in it's execution and conclusion.
Should have kept it more like the original without an 'absolute' place to stay or hide to just 'pick off' with your weapon. Just enough to give you a breather. Hell, I couldn't even run around the backside of the spiked wheels because of an invisible barrier. Oi!!! Invisible barriers blocking my path to a reasonable area is my pet peeve with games.

LisaB1962
11th Jul 2007, 18:06
This really epitomizes my complaint about Lara's changing abilities. There's lots of places in the Lost Valley she can't climb, yet in other levels she can easily climb that high. Lara's abilities should be consistent. One of the things that was great about the original games is that knowing what Lara can and can't do was part of the solutions. Here, you're programmed out of solutions and forced to solve puzzles in (sometimes) stupid ways.

Jezyk
11th Jul 2007, 18:40
Yeah it got me wondering too. When the T-rex appears she starts running in the direction Lara came from, doesn't she??? But the fight takes place on the other side of the valley.
The main valley part was the only major disappointment for me, it was my favourite level in TR1 and I was curious how it'll look like, with all those hiding places, pools to dive, secrets to find etc... and all there was left were some medpacks and ammo in the shrubs if you bothered to go down and get it..:/

Demarest
12th Jul 2007, 03:15
the controls don't react the way they say they are supposed to

In order for Adrenaline Dodge to work, you HAVE TO have your weapons drawn. Also, try switching your combat mode to Advanced Toggle so you don't have to bother with holding aim too.

TR4ever
12th Jul 2007, 19:22

1) eidos lied to us

4) pace

5) there was no fear

6) ledges

[edit]

Agree with you in every single word about the cutcenes and totaly agree with you in the last part "the harder something is to complete, the more rewarding the completion is" i really would like to be playing with Lara for months like i used to do but now a week is more than enough.

Randy 54
12th Jul 2007, 23:33
Thanks for the info, I hope it works because I'm really bummed.

rabid metro
14th Jul 2007, 05:28
... urmmmm, i know that this is the "disappointment" thread, and all, but i have to say that the adrenaline dodge/head shot combo is great fun.

the keystrokes are well-documented, both in the game via the tutorial screens and in the (PS2) game manual.

however, the documentation doesn't tell you how to control your heartrate or maintain your poise!!!
that, to me, is the key to the AD/HS combo working or not working ...

sure the monsters get enraged and try to rush you (with obvious clues given so that you know that this is happening),
but the AD is an evasive manuever, and except for rare circumstances you can usually dodge/evade the attack.

being calmly aware of my surroundings, i can typically dodge by sliding under, rolling away from, or jumping over an attack.
even if i miss the headshot, i'm now usually in position to avoid damage and deliver plenty.
the trickiest parts in all of this were three things:

(1) positional strategy - you need to calmly consider where you are, where the monster is and then where do you want to be when the monster attacks (and you dodge). once the monster is enraged, stop shooting, and focus on positioning yourself to maintain separation, and, if necessary, distance from other monsters. usually, moving at right angles to the line of sight to the monster is an effective strategy. flipping backwards is a close second to flipping/rolling sideways. sometimes, standing still is smart.

(2) the camera - in the pre-enraged phase, avoid furiously shooting at the monster, as this prevents you from having complete camera mobility. it took me a number of hours to learn how to shoot just enough to get a monster enraged and still maintain good defensive positioning and environmental awareness. this is crucial because if you lose "control", the situation spirals down badly if you get attacked. it helped me that i spent time just practising evasive manuevers without ever firing my guns. you can last a long time (with minimal damage) just running/hopping/rolling around avoiding the monsters. i've learned how to smoothly transition from moving without aiming to moving while aiming, which can jerk you around 180 degrees if you're running towards the camera and then decide to aim suddenly ...

(3) the headshot - at first i used to fire too soon due to a general panic about the situation. you've really got to maintain your evasive move and just wait for the beep. now when i occasionally miss a shot its usually because i'm too efficiently anticipating the beep.

my point: this is a feature that can be mastered with practice. it reminded me of how smug i used to feel when i mastered the old (god-awful) controls so that lara appeared to move smoothly instead of the herky-jerky, stop-start movement inherent to the grid.

here's hoping that all the old (a/o young) dogs learn new tricks ...

SPOILER ALERT
okay, here's a disappointment: i'm only in the Greece level but that's because i intentionally replay levels until the action looks cool and appears to be logical (i.e. zero or minimal damage to lara and meaningful camera moves that predicate lara's actions, etc.), as if i were making/directing a movie. this is different than the time trials which i also do until i'm easily beating the trial by more than a minute. when i'm not doing time trials, i collect all artifacts and relics (without spoilers). also, unfortunately, i don't play everyday or for more than an hour or two when i can play. the disappointment is that i'd almost given up on finding three artifacts, which i logically deduced where they where but the game didn't seem to let me make the right move to get there. for example, there's this one swinging thing that should have a noticeable hitch in it at 45 degrees, as sort of a clue that there are different phases to the swing. there's another place where you have to jump beyond a slope but the slope seems to have tremendous gravity, giving me the impression that it was impossible to jump beyond it. i sort of accidentally discovered the enabling moves only due to my persistence and what i consider blind luck ... :( ... it didn't feel right.

still, for me, this is the greatest tomb raider ever.
i'm sure that this greatness will be eclipsed by the goodness in the return to the Legend series (some call it TR8, some say Legend II. i'm going with L2 since i don't think it makes sense to compare/contrast, too much, the games from the two different developers).

... nuff said ...

Raid On!

Randy 54
14th Jul 2007, 13:09
I'll agree that this is a fine looking game and the puzzles are somewhat challenging, but I don't feel that I should have to put the whole gameplay on the back burner so I can learn a new trick. I can get to the slow motion part but everything after that happens too fast to the point where I don't even see the gray targets come together. This move should have been an option to gain extra relics or something and from what I read here, I'm not the only one who feels this way. Anyway, I have started the game over at the easy level and when I get to the T rex, I'll have to practice the move there because the battle isn't as intense as the centaurs.

carlitoo
15th Jul 2007, 17:00
Temple of Khamoon wall run:mad2:

carlitoo
15th Jul 2007, 19:55
staircase in the Obelisk Of Khamoon wall run :mad2:

Let's just say with the new controls and camera moving, wall runs and having to jump away from the wall is THE worst thing ever invented.

exmachinad
20th Jul 2007, 23:25
Im' disappointed by the amount of frustation the game gave me. Some timed- trial-and-error-arcade-like-death-traps parts (notably the stupid Great Pyramid) are just so insanely hard that I almost gave up playing the game.

Really CD, there is a line between a chalenging game and a maddening one.. and sometimes Anniversary cross this line. A game must be entertaining above all else, and angering and frustrating a player is not a nice way to do it.

Towel
20th Jul 2007, 23:26
Im Not Dissapointed At all:D