PDA

View Full Version : Will TRA Run Well With This??

Tomb_Raider346
3rd Jun 2007, 21:14
Hey Everyone.

I have been trying to get TR running well for ages now on my PC.

So tommorow i am going to buy a PC Base Unit Here Are The Things It Comes With....

Name: ACER T180 3000+

Processor speed: 1.6 GHz Processor: AMD Sempron Memory (RAM): 512 MB Storage (hard drive): 80 GB Operating system: Windows Vista Home Basic Shared graphics: Nvidia GF6100 256MB

So will TRA run good with this or not?

Thanks

Leak
3rd Jun 2007, 22:07
Or not.

512 MB RAM, which is pretty much the minimum today + a shared memory graphics card that gobbles up part of that RAM and has weak performance because of not having dedicated video RAM + quite weak CPU + Windows Vista which will needlessly eat even more of that RAM = bad user experience.

What you're listing up there is pretty much an office PC, plain and simple.

np: Tied & Tickled Trio - Aelita 1 (Aelita)

Tomb_Raider346
3rd Jun 2007, 22:14
What about if i upgrade ny PC Base Unit with a 512 Dedicated Graphic Card (Think Its called an ATI Graphic Card) And double my memory to 1,000 & 24 Memory Would that work?

MrE26
3rd Jun 2007, 22:56
Your best bet is to download the demo & see for yourself exactly how the game will run on your system.

Leak
4th Jun 2007, 00:21
What about if i upgrade ny PC Base Unit with a 512 Dedicated Graphic Card (Think Its called an ATI Graphic Card) And double my memory to 1,000 & 24 Memory Would that work?
Well, a better graphics card would surely do wonders, as would extra RAM, but I've got the feeling that the weak CPU would still keep things slow.

But all this is quite academic, anyway - how about you download the demo and see for yourself how well it'll run on your machine?

np: Tied & Tickled Trio - You Said Tomorrow Yesterday (Aelita)

Rydell
4th Jun 2007, 01:16
That's not going to help him MrE26. He wants to know before he buys the PC. I'm not much of a techie guy so I can't help you out. Just hope someone with computer knowledge comes. However it runs fine on my laptop which I might add I'm not on. So I wouldn't beable to tell you what it is. But in the meantime let's hope someone pops into this thread and can tell you.:)

tr1xp
4th Jun 2007, 02:11
(RAM): 512 MB + Operating system: Windows Vista Home Basic

Vista is a bit of a resource hog...personally I would go with Windows XP on that rig so it wouldn't eat up so much of it's limited resources. From the look of it, TRA should run pretty good on that though. You may want to turn a few things off like Antialiasing for sure and shadows.

mikeysg
4th Jun 2007, 03:08
Hey Everyone.

I have been trying to get TR running well for ages now on my PC.

So tommorow i am going to buy a PC Base Unit Here Are The Things It Comes With....

Name: ACER T180 3000+

Processor speed: 1.6 GHz Processor: AMD Sempron Memory (RAM): 512 MB Storage (hard drive): 80 GB Operating system: Windows Vista Home Basic Shared graphics: Nvidia GF6100 256MB

ThanksHighly unlikely that it'd run well (if at all) even if you tone down ingame setting to mostly low. It's running VISTA which, as tr1xp has pointed out, is a resource hog and would chew up most of the 512mb of RAM (for example, I run 64bit VISTA HP, and with PC-Cillin Internet Security and other stuff running in the background, 1.3GB of RAM is chewed up, that's why I need 4GB for smooth FRs). And to make matters worse, it has integrated graphics processor (IGP) which can't handle games well at all, and although the GF6100 is DX9 capable, it's among the weakest 6 series gfx processor around (next to its even weaker sibling - the GF Go 6 series which are found on laptops/notebooks). I have a laptop - AMD Turion64 X2 @1.6ghz, GF Go 6150, 2GB DDR2 667, WinXP SP2 - and I have a better chance of running TRA than the Acer that you have in mind.......only weak point is the IGP GF Go6150, but the proc @1.6ghz and RAM give me the advantage).The CPU looks to be passable for TRA as it's a Sempron @1.6ghz, which puts it at about an AXP @1.5ghz (which is the min requirement). If you have 1GB of RAM, it might run, but don't expect scorching FRs (frame rates) and nice PQ (picture quality).....sorry to be the bearer of bad news.:o

Edit - My advice to you is to save up and go for a better model. Or, build a DIY set yourself where you can pick and choose the parts you want. I'd only started building my own rigs about 4 years back, it's quite easy actually and you can stand proud knowing that you've put together the rig yourself.;) Below are 2 example of the gaming rigs I've built for myself and am using right now.....enjoy (I'll remove the pics after a day, I don't wanna suck up bandwidth on this forum)-
*pics removed as promised*

Build your own, there's a learning curve, but there's great satisfaction when you hit the power button and your new system gets to POST (power on self test).:cool:

rsdigi
4th Jun 2007, 03:11
Well I have the following:
2 GHZ Pentium 4 with 1GB Ram.
I also have a radeon 128MB video card.

With all the options on it chugs in certain spots, usally when the "checkpoint" sign comes up. But if i turn some stuff off it runs a little smoother. I also always have it at 1280 resolution.

Basically i beat the game and didnt have too many problems, i got alot of enjoyment out of it. I'll be getting the ps2 version as well, to enjoy it with no hiccups (but less graphical candy) I was surprised it ran as good as it did on this 4 yr. old pos.

Liyah
4th Jun 2007, 09:35
I think Windows XP is better because Vista just takes a lot more of resources in your PC...
I have Windows XP 2,8GHz, 512mb RAM, 80GB hard disk and I have to turn off all the features to play better and normal (i have to buy more memory)
That's it, for better results: 1gb RAM and Pentium 4, oh yes, and a good graphics card... mine is 128mb, it's normal i guess...
good luck :)

Headshots4life
4th Jun 2007, 11:35
Here's what I have:

Intel Celeron M processor 1.73 GHz
1 gig RAM
80 gig hard drive
and an integrated intel video card (i'm on a notebook PC)

The game runs great when I have everything turned off (shadows, fullscreen effects etc.) I do experience framerate drops here and there but it's usually only for a few seconds.

Edit: mikeysg how hard is it to build a custom PC? I was thinking about building a gaming PC but I don't want to waste the money for parts if I'm going to mess it up.

Gamer4Lyfe
4th Jun 2007, 12:04
Here's my stats:

Vista Home Premium
Athlon XP @ 2GHZ
1 GB of DDR RAM
160 GB HD
ATI Radeon 9600 - 2006 Edition

And.....the Tomb Raider Anniversary demo ran pretty good. I had everything on except anti-aliasing because enabling that caused massive framerate problems because my PC can't handle it. I did have a few hiccups here & there so I decided to shut off some programs running in the background in Vista. That helped alot since Vista is a memory stealing hog!

With that being said, integrated graphics cards suck. Your system memory is shared with it & running Vista w/512 MB of RAM will be a joke. Your gonna have some problems running TRA with some of the features that make the game sweet graphically turned on.

In my opinion, that rig sucks. Don't buy it. Unless you plan to upgrade it for TRA. If you do buy, immediately upgrade the RAM & max it up to whatever the mobo supports & buy a new video card that will run TRA nicely.

I'm heavily in a debate right now myself. PC or PS2? I'm gonna wait a couple of months to see if a PS360 port is announced. If not, I just might upgrade my video card & buy the PC version.

mikeysg
4th Jun 2007, 12:33
Edit: mikeysg how hard is it to build a custom PC? I was thinking about building a gaming PC but I don't want to waste the money for parts if I'm going to mess it up.It's not that difficult actually. The tough part is trying to decide on what to get based on your expectation and budget. Don't build a rig based on just a single game, rather, base it on more graphically intensive games like....FEAR for example. If you build a rig that can run FEAR decently, games like TRA presents less of a challenge graphically and would thus run well......I'm talking about doing 1680x1050, max detail, 4xAA/4xAF. Even w/o next gen setting, TRA looks pretty good to me and I'm somewhat of a graphics hoe.:nut: When building a gaming rig, these are important considerations -

1. CPU - C2D or AM2 X2 (at the very least). The CPU is important as some games use up some CPU cycles for AI (Artificial Intelligence) and physics calculations. Some games are CPU intensive like Counter Strike Source and Unreal Tournament 2003/2004.
2. GPU - Basically the vid card, discrete vid cards perform much better than their integrated siblings. A 7600GT or X1900GT should have no problem doing TRA at full setting. Examples of games that are GPU intensive are Oblivion and FEAR.
3. RAM - Since 32bit OS recognize 2GB only (with some tweaking, perhaps around 3.5GB can be attained) and 64bit OS easily recognize 4GB or higher right outta the box, the amount of RAM one intends to get depends greatly on one's OS and budget. That isn't much of a problem these days as DDR2 RAM prices are just plain nuts and is just about at an all time low.....this is the best time to buy such RAM imho. I'd recommend at least 2GB of RAM for any new system build, regardless of OS used.
4. PSU - Power Supply Unit, most buy a PSU almost as an afterthought and don't put much thought into PSU choices. This is a mistake, the PSU is the heart of the system, and as such, it is the single most important hardware in a system. When a generic no brand PSU fails, it can take out some or all component in a system.....I've seen sad cases where a PSU failure took out the vid card, mobo (motherboard) and RAM (my friend's rig actually).

The secret to building a well balanced system is to pick out the parts that would match, you wouldn't wanna match a weak CPU with a powerful card, or vice versa. If you wanna build a gaming rig, there are many sites with knowledgeable peeps who can advise you on what to get. It's trying to sift thru the pile of recommendations that may have you doing this ->:mad2: