PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard or Gamepad? Which do you prefer?

rsdigi
3rd Jun 2007, 15:48
This is for PC players.
I've seen tons of topics where members mention they use the keyboard. I can't understand how someone can use one! I've always grown up playing with a gamecontroller, when I play games on a pc I use this one:
http://images.americanas.com.br/produtos/item/77/5/77515g.gif

It's like playing with a PS2 controller. I give you keyboard guys credit, I don't know how you pull off some of laras moves, especially the level in Atlantis where you have to swing around the room on a time limit.

So which do you use keyboard or controller?

SarahC
3rd Jun 2007, 15:58
I use the keyboard/mouse. But that's only because I've played every Tomb Raider game since the first with the keyboard and I'm used to the controls. I control Lara much better using the WASD setup than I do with a joypad, and the mouse allows for much better precision targeting and shooting when such things are required. :)

*huggles*
Sarah

TR4ever
3rd Jun 2007, 16:02
I use the keyboard/mouse. But that's only because I've played every Tomb Raider game since the first with the keyboard and I'm used to the controls. I control Lara much better using the WASD setup than I do with a joypad, and the mouse allows for much better precision targeting and shooting when such things are required. :)

*huggles*
Sarah

Amazing, i´m so used to the PS2 controller that i can´t play games on PC or anywere else.

Qbert
3rd Jun 2007, 16:18
http://www.netpcdirect.co.uk/images/ps2dualshock2.jpg+http://www.microcenter.com/image.phtml?id=0196434&sku=888503

I call this the "Mouse-Wii" combo. :)

CommanderZx2
3rd Jun 2007, 16:22
I grew up with an Atari Video computer system / 2600, I still prefer a keyboard and mouse to a gamepad.

mikeysg
3rd Jun 2007, 16:42
Really depends on the game actually, for strictly FPS games like UT2k4, FEAR, HL2 and the like, nothing - and I mean NOTHING! - beats a KB + mouse for immersive, responsive and accurate gaming. I'm somewhat ambivalent when it comes to game like TRL and TRA, KB + mouse is fine, although controller/gamepad seems to be more suited for this kinda game.

3rd Jun 2007, 17:04
I only ever played TR1 on pc, and I loved the controls for ti on there, then I played the Legend demo, and compared to the old controls it was a bit of a pain. That's why I got it on PS2 :thumbsup:

tr1xp
3rd Jun 2007, 20:28
Keyboard + mouse simply because the camera behaves totally different with it.

To simulate the keyboard + mouse camera on a gamepad, press and hold the "Display HUD" button at all times. It makes the camera follow Lara like it should anyway, but doesn't with a gamepad.

lara-supreme
3rd Jun 2007, 20:41
I have been playing with the keyboard on all the older Tr games 1-5. But I decided to give the gamepad a go, after trying the TR demo with the keyboard. I hated the demo after I played it with keyboard, because I found it nearly impossible to control her. But once I switched over to the gamepad, I loved it. She is so much easier to control and the camera is a lot better. I still like my old games with the keyboard better as I have had a chance to play them both gamepad and keyboard.

Scott =]!
3rd Jun 2007, 20:45
keyboard by far

and no poll?

tr1xp
3rd Jun 2007, 20:48
How can you say the camera is better with a gamepad? Am I missing something?

Example: Let's say you're running forward and then turn right. The camera with a gamepad keeps looking the way it was before you turned for quite a while before it decides to adjust. With a keyboard mouse it is instant and follows Lara at all times except tight spots while wall climbing or swinging, but even then you can look around some as you move easier than a gamepad.

With a gamepad, I can't even get the controls mapped without editing the registry. It adds doubles of mapped buttons all over the place and I have to go manually remove them in the registry.

lara-supreme
3rd Jun 2007, 21:03
Because I find it better. I kept having to adjust the camera with the keyboard. Now I foun it seems as if the camera has adjusted as I run and jump using the gamepad. I cannot say it is the gamepad itself but here is an example of what I mean.

Right after you insert the first cog, you jump up onto the pole. With the keyboard, I had to adjust the camera, turning it around. But when I used the gamepad, And I jumped up on the pole, and pushed forward to swing, she continued to swing forward and I did not need to adjust the camera because she kept swinging forward. With the keyboard I would need to change the keys, if I wanted to continue forward to the next pole. Like I said I am not saying it is the camera itself, but using the gamepad has eliminated some of the having to adjust.

I have also found her to be able to move more easily using the gamepad.

Laura Croft
3rd Jun 2007, 21:36
I use the keyboard. Always have done and probably always will. It took a while to get adjusted to the new keys when AoD and Legend came along, but now I've got it off to a tee. I enjoy using the keyboard in good old fashioned Tomb Raiding style. It's like my holy tradition now. :p

Notts Raider
3rd Jun 2007, 21:39
I got used to playing TR on the PSX so I still use a PS2 joypad connected to my PC

Leak
3rd Jun 2007, 22:03
Example: Let's say you're running forward and then turn right. The camera with a gamepad keeps looking the way it was before you turned for quite a while before it decides to adjust.
I'm not exactly sure what exactly you mean by "turn right", but to turn right I just turn the camera right with the right stick and keep the left one pushed up to keep Lara running forward. I can't see how the camera wouldn't keep up when I'm turning it in the first place...

np: Tied & Tickled Trio - Aelita 3 (Aelita)

tr1xp
3rd Jun 2007, 22:07
Gamepad (http://files.filefront.com/gamepadavi/;7684354;/fileinfo.html) = Logitech Rumblepad 2, dual analog.

Mouse+Keyboard (http://files.filefront.com/TRA_mousekeyboardavi/;7668414;/fileinfo.html) = Typical kb+m.

Those 2 videos are the best way I can describe it. Gamepad = clumsy and slow. Mouse+Keyboard = smooth and precise. Obviously I screwed up bringing up the inventory because I'm not as used to gamepad controls, but you get the point. She turns slower and wont face the direction I want while she is shooting, then loses her target, etc.

Sorin
3rd Jun 2007, 22:49
I've always used a keyboard for all PC games. I've always used a controller for all console games. A keyboard with PC games is how I've always done it and I'm very used to it. Although I have to admit that playing the two Crystal TR games feels a little weird with the mouse and keyboard. I've played a lot of FPS style games, where you can strafe with "A" and "D" rather than turning left or right, and where the mouse is used for changing direction. This is how I am accustomed to moving around in 3D environments, so Crystals implementation of movement for Lara is really awkward since there is no strafe and the mouse does not control her direction (only the camera's perspective).

So even though the FPS style is so much more nimble and agile compared to Crystal's style, I still use a mouse and keyboard for TRL and TRA despite its great clunkiness, since I'm too familiar with it and having to use a gamepad would be too much of a learning experience for me to care about.

rsdigi
3rd Jun 2007, 22:53
I've always used a keyboard for all PC games. I've always used a controller for all console games. A keyboard with PC games is how I've always done it and I'm very used to it. Although I have to admit that playing the two Crystal TR games feels a little weird with the mouse and keyboard. I've played a lot of FPS style games, where you can strafe with "A" and "D" rather than turning left or right, and where the mouse is used for changing direction. This is how I am accustomed to moving around in 3D environments, so Crystals implementation of movement for Lara is really awkward since there is no strafe and the mouse does not control her direction (only the camera's perspective).

So even though the FPS style is so much more nimble and agile compared to Crystal's style, I still use a mouse and keyboard for TRL and TRA despite its great clunkiness, since I'm too familiar with it and having to use a gamepad would be too much of a learning experience for me to care about.
this is why i don't get how you guys can play with a pc. it limits 3d games to 8 directions (with the arrow keys) where as an analog controller gives you 360 degrees..plus i can sit back in my chair and chill with controller in hand ;)

MrE26
3rd Jun 2007, 22:54
An Xbox 360 pad is absolutely perfect for this game. I couldn't play a game like this using k&m.

Sorin
3rd Jun 2007, 23:06
this is why i don't get how you guys can play with a pc. it limits 3d games to 8 directions (with the arrow keys) where as an analog controller gives you 360 degrees..plus i can sit back in my chair and chill with controller in hand ;)

Have you ever played a FPS style game on the computer with the keyboard? Like any of the UT games, or BF1942 or something? Because I find it hard to accurately describe and convey the movement otherwise. In those kind of games, the mouse controls the direction that the character faces. X, Y, and Z axes. 360° on all three axes, thus meaning you can look in every single direction possible. 'W' and 'S' move you forwards or backwards, and 'A' and 'D' make you side step left or right. So the mouse controls where you face and where you ultimately go, and the directional keys physically move you about.

It really is somewhat difficult to describe. But once you've played with it for a while it's very nimble and agile, which is necessary in a FPS game. Since I have not played these games with a gamepad, I cannot make a comparison.

uuuluuu
3rd Jun 2007, 23:28
Gamepad = clumsy and slow. Mouse+Keyboard = smooth and precise. Obviously I screwed up bringing up the inventory because I'm not as used to gamepad controls, but you get the point. (emphasis added)
Not really a fair comparison if you're not used to the gamepad, is it? :rolleyes:

tr1xp
3rd Jun 2007, 23:43
(emphasis added)
Not really a fair comparison if you're not used to the gamepad, is it? :rolleyes:

Yes, because it still shows how using an analog stick to turn or look around is slow and fixed in it's speed, where a mouse can be any speed you move it for a nearly instant 180 turn in a fight.

Also you can see that with the mouse I can always face my enemy, while with the gamepad the enemy simply runs off screen and Lara continues shooting straight ahead, at the wall.

Using an analog stick to look around or turn is like controlling a robot where using a mouse to do it is instant, precise and more natural. It also totally eliminates the need for the "Display HUD" (center/reset camera) button.

Qbert
4th Jun 2007, 00:14
I got lost on the WASD because it really bugs me on backpedal and I don't like hitting an extra button for run/walk. having the pad in one hand gives me the maximum amount of freedom for movement, but at the same time, I'm able to use the mouse for aiming. There's nothing cumbersome about it, the whole setup is somewhere along the lines of what you'd see in a futuristic control setup you see on those large VR displays.

Besides keyboards are limited to 8 way and the extra work needed to get around it just ain't worth it.

Leak
4th Jun 2007, 00:18
See, that's the ticket...

"PC + Xbox 360 controller + projector" beats "console + TV" any day... :rasp:

(And yes, I'd never play UT2k4 or Far Cry with a joypad... it's just that those games are high-speed twitch games first person shooters, not jump'n'runs... all TR:A could use would be a turn speed setting for the camera stick a la Jade Empire...)

np: Tied & Tickled Trio - Aelita 1 (Aelita)

tr1xp
4th Jun 2007, 00:55
Besides keyboards are limited to 8 way and the extra work needed to get around it just ain't worth it.

Huh? When you're hanging from a ledge you can only go 2 ways anyway. When using the mouse for direction, I press one button for forward then just move the mouse and can go ANY way I want, except I have the added benefit of having the camera stay behind me where it belongs without having to press and HOLD the "display HUD" button to get it to do it like a gamepad.

When fighting, I face the enemy with the mouse then strafe left, right, and move forward and back, the exact same way you would by moving a joystick around. Limited to 8 ways? huh?

Grieyls
4th Jun 2007, 06:44
Either method both have thier pro's and cons so what it really comes down to is what you yourself prefer or what you're left with. As for myself I will be playing this game on the PC for the higher graphics detail, the result being I will be using the Keyboard and mouse. I have to admit that at first I found the controls awkward and strange but to be fair after a while I was getting used to the arrangment. In fact over time I found that I was getting so used to the keyboard and mouse method that I now actually prefer it.

I know this cause some time later I had access to a gamepad and so I tried it out. However, I had being using the keyboard/mouse set up for while up until that point and as a result I found the gamepad rather clumsy to use.

What it comes down to then is what we are used to in the long term. If you've always played third person type games with a gamepad then chances are you will prefer that type of control. If however you've always used a keyboard then chances are invaribly you will prefer that.

gsusfrk
4th Jun 2007, 12:29
I think i'll get the PC version and the PS2 version, but yet again I'm also not going to get both because I have a gamepad for the PC so really... I'm using a PS2 feeling with a PC usage :) but I think in the end I'm going to try to beat the game twice with one as a keyboard usage and one with a gamepad usage :D

Headshots4life
4th Jun 2007, 12:37
I prefer using a gamepad. I played the demo about 30 times and about half the time I used the keyboard and mouse and the other half I used my wireless Xbox 360 controller. The controller just feels better to me and that why I prefer it :)

Mangar The Dark
4th Jun 2007, 13:41
I'm okay with either. I played TRs1-6 on my PC, and had no trouble using the keys. Then I played Legend on the Xbox, and it worked great with the gamepad (though, at times, she would jump off a ladder in the wrong direction, which got a bit annoying.) Now I tried TRA with the mouse & keyboard, and it feels really natural... maybe marginally better than the gamepad.

CatSuit&Ponytail
4th Jun 2007, 14:12
As some have already said, gamepads are good for some games and keyboard/ mouse are good for others. Since TR was perfect (for me) on the PC k/m for it's whole history, I have been playing TRA on k/m. Yes, it is MUCH harder than playing it with a gamepad, but I'd rather that then breeze through.....also, the camera control is still impossible for me to be happy with on a gamepad.

Lo
4th Jun 2007, 14:25
I have a gamepad but have never installed nor configured it yet.

I assumed it would solve all the problems I have with the camera movements but have tried AOD on PS2 and as someone unaccustomed to the gamepad (especially a game that involves all if not most of the available buttons on it), I found my movements clumsy and unpredictable.

That's just lack of practice though and something I could no doubt conquer if I percervered. So to that end I am more adept at the K/M overall but do struggle with visuals on Legend and doubtlessly will on TRA. I would prefer it if the camera followed Lara from behind as in earlier games :)

TR-AOD
4th Jun 2007, 16:46
i do most of my gaming on a PC and use a different setup depending on the game. as other people have said, for fps and rts games it has to be the keyboard + mouse, for driving games and TR style games i use a PS2 pad.

Gamer4Lyfe
4th Jun 2007, 17:28
Best controller ever made.

http://www.gadgetsandgames.co.uk/images/xbox360controller.jpg

Headshots4life
4th Jun 2007, 19:43
^^ I agree, that's the one i'm using when I get TRA :D

Qbert
4th Jun 2007, 20:15
Best controller ever made.

http://www.gadgetsandgames.co.uk/images/xbox360controller.jpg

I still think it's a mock-up of the dual-shock controller, but that's just me. :whistle:

Kinda bugs me because originally, these things were designed as 6-button pads (for xbox) and I had fun playing street fighter until it was changed in japan with us following a few months later. At least it ain't as bulky, but that gave it character.