PDA

View Full Version : TRA on iMac with Parallels?

stingray65
29th May 2007, 19:55
I'm running XP via Parallels on an Intel iMac, but evidently the video card is not acceptable, it being an ATI Radeon X1600 (128MB VRAM) and not a Direct X9.0c type.
Any chance of running this when the retail version comes out?
Thanks!

Inn_Hevonn_Klann
29th May 2007, 20:00
Donna. Maybe just on a PC!
And parallels you mean like, you are using boot camp or something?

stingray65
29th May 2007, 20:06
Parallels is virtual machine software that lets anyone with an Intel Mac run XP, but it's better than Boot Camp because it allows you to run XP simultaneously with OSX. You can switch back and forth (even copy and paste) between them like you would different applications. With BC you can only run one OS at a time.
Parallels isn't perfect - especially if it won't run TRA! - but it's close.

RuumTaedor
29th May 2007, 20:40
Just to clarify, Parallels isn't better than Boot Camp, they both have their advantages, it depends on your needs. As you mentioned, Stingray, Parallels is a virtual machine, therefore there is an additional layer between the apps and the hardware. If you need to run apps that aren't too cpu intensive or graphics intensive, Parallels works fine. If you need to run an app that requires the raw power of the CPU and directly interfaces with the hardware (like Anniversary), then you use Boot Camp, the trade-off being you can't run Mac OS X at the same time. It would be nice if Parallels ran Anniversary, but that's asking too much of a virtual machine. I wish I had an Intel Mac, but hopefully in the near future.

stingray65
29th May 2007, 21:04
Yes, you're correct, I shouldn't have stated that Parallels is BETTER than Boot Camp as I've never even tried Boot Camp!
But, for what I do (web site design mostly), it's great to be able to view pages in several browsers on both platforms at the same time without having to reboot into one of the other OS.
I DO notice a big slowdown in everything when I run XP at the same time as Photoshop on OSX. And my printers and scanner don't behave perfectly when both OS's are running.

But, then, I'm off the subject here.

I'll just have to run TRA on my Dell laptop!

bikerdude
5th Jun 2007, 09:25
I'm running XP via Parallels on an Intel iMac, but evidently the video card is not acceptable, it being an ATI Radeon X1600 (128MB VRAM) and not a Direct X9.0c type.
Any chance of running this when the retail version comes out?
Thanks!

The latest version of Parrallels is 3.0 (which is an upgrade btw). Fully supports Direct3D, but you may find that the Direct3D passthrough isnt sufficently powerfull enough for a game like TRA. Try an older game, if that works then I am correct.

biker

stingray65
17th Jun 2007, 19:01
I just upgraded to Parallels 3.0, so will try TRA asap. Will let y'all know if it works.