PDA

View Full Version : Lara's Longest Leap (Of Faith!)

Lo
25th May 2007, 17:19
Inspired by the morbitity (lol) of my Death poll and the entries regarding long drops, what do you suppose is the greatest distance that our heroine has descended in any of the games? You know the ones - she falls such a distance that the scream audio has to be repeated :lol:

A few come to mind. Have you any to add? Which is your favourite, if indeed you have one ;)

There is that long drop into the water in TRII on the Wreck of the Maria Doria - a rusty ladder is in view opposite which clearly isn't an interactive ladder :D

In TRIII there are the long drops almost anywhere in the London open-air levels when Lara falls off a ledge. The graphics go a bit squiffy, a bit like a tunnel vision effect.

TRII again in the level of Floating Islands.

One of my favourites, although tainted by my frustration at having failed yet again, is that one in The Hall of Seasons (AoD), in the Hade's Breath part with the wobbly logs and the lava pit beneath.

I can't think of anymore off hand so feel free to add some more :)

LisaB1962
25th May 2007, 17:26
She screams twice when she falls off the ledge fighting the Atlantean Mutant.

I love that dive in TR2. It was the best place to do the forward flip dive!

Rascalius
25th May 2007, 17:29
I think the longest is probably TR1, in the Great Pyramid level, if you fall from the ledge where you meet with Natla (too late for abortions now!), but there are some other whoppers. I think you've mentioned all the coolest ones Lo. :thumbsup:

Atheist
25th May 2007, 17:32
I feel from a tree once into waist-deep quicksand in TR3. She was just standing there and the scream audio was repeated about 6-7 times as if she was falling, but she was'nt. Does that count? :D

Lo
25th May 2007, 18:00
I feel from a tree once into waist-deep quicksand in TR3. She was just standing there and the scream audio was repeated about 6-7 times as if she was falling, but she was'nt. Does that count? :D

Ah ha! I think this happened to me once too Athiest.:thumbsup:

I wasn't in any tree though. It was the first level of the game, in the jungle. I had reached the end of the level, had grabbed the key before the monkey relieved me of it and shot the tiger below. It was probably about my sixth play of that game and this time I decided to jump to that low ledge to the left, 'underneath' and behind Lara as she faces the gate to the next area. I missed :lol:

Anyhow, I missed because I got all cack-handed with the buttons (no doubt drinking a mug of tea and eating a tuna wrap simultaneously :p ), and must have dived off and even then, at a rather misguided angle. I was high enough to have activated the scream and yes, as I went down in true Titanic glory, the scream just kept on (and on...and on) :D

Atheist
25th May 2007, 21:55
She was proberly just thinking, "AHHHHHHHH! MY NEW SHORTS!!!!!!!!!! THEY COST ME 40 QUID FROM TOP SHOP AND NOW THERE COVERED IN MUD!!"

winston
25th May 2007, 22:06
Lo., I think you pretty much got them all! I don't remember the TR2 one though:scratch: maybe 'cos I haven't played it in a while.

London in TR3 is a definite:thumbsup:

I think (although I may be wrong) that there is a never ending chasm in Last Revelation? The Great Pyramid level is great for killing Lara- I dive her off a high point of the pyramid and into the pit below :D

NightRain'06
26th May 2007, 01:46
You read my mind.

I distinctly recall TR3 having long drops/falls too. In London on the construction scaffolding area on the roof of a building, I deliberately had her fall off many times and sporadically, the game would glitch, she'd fall into a black hole or abyss (or you know, the background would completely become black and no actual ground to break her) and her screams would end.

Those were the days..... :p

Atheist
26th May 2007, 11:50
Oh also there's another bug in AOD. If you use the 'flying' cheat to fly into some of AOD's unfinshed and abandoned areas you can step into a black spot and fall for ever and ever.

SethKoopa
26th May 2007, 12:35
The top of Atlantis must be the highest drop I can think of.

The one in the Sphinx chamber in Lud's Gate is also quite a drop, if you manage to fall all the way to the floor and not land on the Sphinx's legs. Perhaps from the secret ledge you can manage.

Lo
26th May 2007, 13:25
The top of Atlantis must be the highest drop I can think of.

The one in the Sphinx chamber in Lud's Gate is also quite a drop, if you manage to fall all the way to the floor and not land on the Sphinx's legs. Perhaps from the secret ledge you can manage.

Yes - I covetted that rocket so badly that I decided to chance it one day (meaning I chanced it after saving my game prior to the dastardly deed :D )

At that time, even Stella, to the best of my recollection, didn't have any solves for getting the rocket and thereafter getting down to ground level in one piece! I e-mailed the lovely Stella and explained how I got there but when I checked on the site a short time later, I noticed that the site had been updated with the solve and it was not my doing I don't think for Stella is always very courteous and does give contributors full credit.

Basically, for anyone who happens to get stuck there, you angle Lara up just right and perform a back-flip onto the shoulder of the Sphinx, thereafter pressing the control key. She'll grab onto the end of that part of the statue after she slides down some way but will lose a bit of health when you drop her to the ground, so ensure she's maxed out on the med-packs.

Phlip
26th May 2007, 13:39
what do you suppose is the greatest distance that our heroine has descended in any of the games?
I thought you mean the longest jump. :D

Well my favourite fall is probably at the end of TR2's level two were you can drop off at any time while you're on the zip wire. :D Especially when you go down there and go past the activation points for the two dnasours to come, then it really looks good. :lol:

cazzer
26th May 2007, 19:38
Mine is in any of the TR's preferibly when she falls down a seemingly never ending pit.:lol:

Atheist
26th May 2007, 19:55
I e-mailed the lovely Stella and explained how I got there but when I checked on the site a short time later, I noticed that the site had been updated with the solve and it was not my doing I don't think for Stella is always very courteous and does give contributors full credit.

Same. I emailed her a polite and worshipping letter about her walkthrough and how great they are once. I also included a note that in TR1, she missed out a large medipack, and told her where it was.

Later, the site was updated, I did'nt get any credit... :(

RebeL_fARmeR
27th May 2007, 13:10
TR2, the offshore rig, you have to climb a ladder for half an hour to get to the top... So what's the first thing you do? Save and jump off!

Lo
27th May 2007, 13:51
Same. I emailed her a polite and worshipping letter about her walkthrough and how great they are once. I also included a note that in TR1, she missed out a large medipack, and told her where it was.

Later, the site was updated, I did'nt get any credit... :(

Just to clarify, I think that it was likely that someone else could have e-mailed Stella before I did Athiest or maybe Stella herself found the solve and therefore no credits to others were given. I assume that this is what happened in your case too.

She did credit me for my Takamoto glitch on the Legend walkthrough and we did exchange a few e-mails about this but I suspect she gets too many e-mails to reply to directly. She usually just thanks everyone on her site :)