PDA

View Full Version : HUNTER So the Hunter has a Machete on his back. Why does he not Melee with it?

Xaragoth
31st Oct 2013, 21:42
Seriously, that has been bugging me all evening. He hits you with the Crossbow, instead of pulling out that thing and chopping away when using melee :)

hirukaru
31st Oct 2013, 23:17
Agree,

I think the humans should have some kind of melee weapons.
Hunter already got the machete
Give the others guys also something like a dagger or something :P And put in an option:
Switch to secondary weapon ;)

Psyonix_Corey
31st Oct 2013, 23:32
Knew this would come up :)

There's a few reasons we don't do this for the human characters:
- It's a nontrivial performance hit to have a detachable blade on his back that he melees with. When it's static and part of his mesh, it doesn't incur the same perf. hit (This is the big one)
- It would also be quite a time consuming melee attack to stow your crossbow, reach back, swipe with the blade, store the blade, and then retrieve your crossbow.
- It's a significant animation investment to support humans that can run around with a melee weapon permanently in hand

For the reasons above we don't have any plans to support standalone human melee weapons that you swap to. We feel the resources are better used elsewhere (additional classes and weapons/abilities).

hirukaru
1st Nov 2013, 01:03

- It's a nontrivial performance hit to have a detachable blade on his back that he melees with. When it's static and part of his mesh, it doesn't incur the same perf. hit (This is the big one)
- It would also be quite a time consuming melee attack to stow your crossbow, reach back, swipe with the blade, store the blade, and then retrieve your crossbow.
- It's a significant animation investment to support humans that can run around with a melee weapon permanently in hand

For the reasons above we don't have any plans to support standalone human melee weapons that you swap to. We feel the resources are better used elsewhere (additional classes and weapons/abilities).

Its indeed true that it is a big investment, but for the people that like melee it would be a nice option. They won't switch back and forward all the time so the animation can be slow.

You say you don't have any plans, I would rather hear: We don't have the plans to do this at this moment, but maby if you play long enough and if you are nice enough we will create it some day, some how, some where. (I think it is already there under a secret code but I still did not find it :( )

Xaragoth
1st Nov 2013, 10:42

All true, but it bugs me none-the-less that he carries around that machete on his back and never uses it. Especially against things with claws. Smacking them with a crrossbow, instead of trying to cut their fingers off or slicing the wings so Sentinels can't fly?

I, for one, would put the crossbow in the left hand, draw the machete, smack away and when the melee attack has stopped or LMB is pulled quickly switch back. However I agree that it might be a bit long overall and requires a day or two on animation :)

I just don't like it when a character carries around things he never uses. But that's just me being me, I guess ;)

All-in-all it really isn't a priority though, new classes are far more interesting, as are new abilities and weapons. It's just rubs me the wrong way to see unused weaponry on a person when it's the ideal thing for the job.

Here is hoping for a class that either uses throwing weapons or a class with a big, mean hammer and shield.

hirukaru
1st Nov 2013, 12:41
@Xaragoth, it is still fun to talk about it. But I agree hope there will be a melee/tank character.

But the most important is server stabilisation, so we can get longer alpha time and find more things that "bug" us.

Xaragoth
1st Nov 2013, 18:53
From what I heard both Matchmaking and Servers are the top priority right now.

hirukaru
1st Nov 2013, 19:47
Yep I think so to. That would make most sense right ;)

Driber
6th Nov 2013, 12:00
@Baldorog (http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/member.php?u=26847): Please be advised that talking to the devs in such an impertinent manner is not acceptable here. We welcome all feedback, both positive and negative, but please keep it constructive. Thank you.

Calcite
19th Nov 2013, 04:22
I'm not sure if it would be the same amount of work or not, but sticking to the ranged theme, you could make it similar to a throwing knife, just on a larger scale. Accurate close range, but the farther out it gets, the worse the accuracy is. The way I would imagine it is just one handing the crossbow (can't fire it while preforming this action) and the left hand grabs and throws the machete (or whatever it is), and throws it to wherever the middle of your screen is (as that is presumably where you are aiming it), and then you return to two handing the crossbow with no option to throw the machete again until you die. The action would probably take 3 seconds or so to preform, but it might alleviate some of the annoyance with it just being an ornament.

It would also fit in with the lore of the class itself, and explain why it has the second weapon option, since Hunters are always "in the thick of things," it would stand to reason that they would have a back-up weapon for their back-up weapons (which are the abilities).

kodokai
20th Nov 2013, 16:43

I'd rather see a sword and board class. Good ol' shield bashes.

Calcite
20th Nov 2013, 20:25
The issue is, this game is Ranged v. Melee, and if they were to give the humans a melee class, the vampires would have to get a ranged, and then it'd lose focus of what it originally was meant to be. Also, the likelihood of a human attempting to go toe to toe with a vampire isn't that high, considering vampires out match them physically in every way.

Crusader_bin
20th Nov 2013, 20:30
Yeah, adding a sword wielding class just sounds proper :)
Though the game mechanics that seem to have defined Nosgoth is melee vs ranged. But a melee support class (paladin of some sort, with auras, shield wall skill, things like that) wouldn't exactly brake that concept I think :)

LtGiuberia
22nd Nov 2013, 04:16
I think that if the hunter were to get this option. He would have to choose his machete or gun on loadout. I think having both would just make him op.

Germaximus
22nd Nov 2013, 05:32
I think this is an extremely silly complaint. Just opinion of course. It's either have a cool looking machete as an extra look to the character, or remove it so people don't ask about it.

I honestly don't understand why anybody would want to switch to melee as a human vs. the vampires.

Tagexx
22nd Nov 2013, 06:30
Adding a melee class for humans, or even switching, would ruin what makes this game unique. It's the range vs. melee that enforces team play in a way that I haven't seen in any other game.

Xaragoth
22nd Nov 2013, 08:59
I think this is an extremely silly complaint. Just opinion of course. It's either have a cool looking machete as an extra look to the character, or remove it so people don't ask about it.

I honestly don't understand why anybody would want to switch to melee as a human vs. the vampires.

I take issue with it mostly because ... you know, if you got a giant machete, you'd think TO USE IT TO CHOP OFF THE LEGS OF A SENTINEL THAT GRABBED YOU - or cut off the wings. It's something that bugs me just a little bit, is all. If you design a character, adding something like that is troublesome, as it hovers within the players view constantly, but is never used at all, meaning you feel like your character might've just hit his head a few too many times. A lot of MMORPG Armor is doing it as well and it always kinda bugs me that those throwing knives on the thighs aren't used :P I know it's work, but I am a sucker for details.

Besides that, melee is very effective. If you are out of ammo, it might well mean life or death with the 'I will now reload this forever and constantly have to redo it after I had to bola and run away' crossbow.

Strike5150
22nd Nov 2013, 09:19
I have to agree a weak melee attack should be an option for a human. There are times when a vamp has 3hp and your reloading. Wow all I need to do is punch him the face once. Hell use that crossbow like a club.

Lomonop
22nd Nov 2013, 10:02
I have to agree a weak melee attack should be an option for a human. There are times when a vamp has 3hp and your reloading. Wow all I need to do is punch him the face once. Hell use that crossbow like a club.
Clicking the middle mouse button (or the scroll wheel) already does a melee attack.

Strike5150
22nd Nov 2013, 12:22
Man I haven't found this key yet. I will give it a go next round.

hirukaru
22nd Nov 2013, 12:50
Man I haven't found this key yet. I will give it a go next round.

Lots of people don't know it.
Its a good thing for vampires cause a hit deals around 100 dmg. ;)

So keep it a secret.