PDA

View Full Version : There will be no recurring locations (initially)

Lord_Aevum
31st Oct 2013, 12:58
I noticed what I would regard as a pretty important detail for old fans being newly revealed in comments over at the Facebook page, maybe worth a thread. It seems that there will actually be NO classic locations from the LoK series in this game, at least for its initial release, and apparently all of the current maps are newly invented. Emphasis mine:

1. The maps playable in Nosgoth are set in regions referenced in previous games in the series (such as Freeport and Provance) and are known to fans, although they do not contain specific locations players would have visited in the Blood Omen or Soul Reaver games as Kain or Raziel.

2. The land of Nosgoth features a variety of architectural types, each of which have changed and shifted over the course of its long and storied timeline. Nosgoth is set in areas that are known to exist but are previously unexplored, which is why they may seem unfamiliar. Equally, Nosgoth is set during a period in which Humans have regained autonomy in certain parts of the land and pose a credible threat to the Vampires, and the architecture represents this cultural setting. Nevertheless, the land is still very much in a state of corruption, as evidenced by the ecological damage visible in each map.

4. Currently the maps in Nosgoth are set in regions that are known to exist in the land of Nosgoth but have not had gameplay set there in previous Legacy of Kain games. The key word here is "currently" :)

So don't hold out any hope at all of having fights in the familiar old Human Citadel, or the Lighthouse, or the Necropolis, or Nupraptor's Retreat, or Raziel's clan territory, or the Ruined City, or the Silenced Cathedral, or anywhere like that whatsoever until, potentially, some time after release. On the plus side, I guess this means we have time to give feedback on which ones we'd prefer to see, and what they should feature if they do appear.

lucinvampire
31st Oct 2013, 13:32
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo that’s a real big BIG shame *cries* – I was really hoping that there were going to be some visually recognizable places (to help link the game with the series further) – rather than just named locations…oh well – in time…supppose we can live in hope – and as you say we can suggest some awesome locations!

Vampmaster
31st Oct 2013, 13:48
Weren't we were already told that on the community day? (@Lord_Aevum - I know you weren't there, but I thought someone would have said.) I'm pretty sure they said there'd be more levels later on to be determined by what feedback we give. That reminds me, though. I did ask George about feedback on our feedback, because I wanted to see what everyone else put and what SE thought would be possible. He said it might take a while, but I might ask again now that they've had some time to assess it.

WROB3L_PL
31st Oct 2013, 14:16
I would love to fight next to pillars... This would be awesome ;/

Vampmaster
31st Oct 2013, 14:20
It's not going to happen. The sanctuary of the clans was impenetrable. It's not like the humans would have had battering rams to break the doors open or grappling hooks to climb the walls with or anything. Oh, and nothing could ever be important enough to distract the thousands of vampires guarding it.

lucinvampire
31st Oct 2013, 16:06
I thought it was something along the lines of there would be recognisable places as well as new ones and that more would be added over time…ok maybe they meant recognisable as in “known places” rather than actual ones we’re seen. I think I just read too much into it – there was so much to take in that day and I was very easily distracted with all the shiny things. I was deep down hoping the ones “highlighted/circled” were going to be places that were playable locations…obviously that was just in my dreams haha. :D

Monkeythumbz
31st Oct 2013, 16:23
We would like to set maps in previously visited locations from both Blood Omen and Soul Reaver and I've been discussing it with Bill, but they're not in production just at the moment and so would't be playable any time soon, I'm afraid.

Reidbynature
31st Oct 2013, 17:07
It's good to see they're not off the table at least. That would be a real shame if they were.

Lord_Aevum
31st Oct 2013, 17:41
This hadn't been mentioned in any of the community day accounts that I had seen. I honestly think this is actually a very good thing, because it gives the devs a chance to react to feedback from those surveys, collect information, and truly nail these areas if they do create them. Nobody will really get upset if some brand new region like the Iron Pass looks "wrong". However, I still thought the news should be clearly emphasised, in case anyone who had their heart set on classic locations gets a nasty shock on beta day.

Monkeythumbz
31st Oct 2013, 17:47
I honestly think this is actually a very good thing, because it gives the devs a chance to react to feedback from those surveys, collect information, and truly nail these areas if they do create them.
This is precisely our intention, too.

Incidentally, the next two maps - set near but not actually at previously explored locations - we think will tickle your collective fanncies just right we do, and no mistake.

(Cor luvva duck etc etc).

OniOnna
31st Oct 2013, 18:33
It would be awesome to see old locations as well, but I am glad that we are getting new ones too! After all, this isn't SR or BO. Putting too much from the previous games would make me feel like they're just trying to win over the long time fans and nothing more. After all, there are going to be a lot of new people being introduced to LOK. So, bring on the new locations!!!

IKathaarI
31st Oct 2013, 23:39
I love how reactive the staff is to the community in this game. The other games I play (which I won't mention) the staff will almost never reply to any suggestions/improvements you make.

On the thought of familiar maps, would it be possible to see 'modern' versions of old locations in the game? (A further decrepid and overgrown version of Vorador's Mansion, or The remains of the winged races 'city' below Janos Audron's Lair)

It all depends on how reasonable of an assumption it is that these places are still standing during this time period.

Monkeythumbz
1st Nov 2013, 11:30
On the thought of familiar maps, would it be possible to see 'modern' versions of old locations in the game? (A further decrepid and overgrown version of Vorador's Mansion, or The remains of the winged races 'city' below Janos Audron's Lair)

It all depends on how reasonable of an assumption it is that these places are still standing during this time period.
Absolutely, and I'm not sure how much we know about how the Pillar's corruption affected the Termogent Swamp/Forest either. Still, they're *both* good ideas, for sure.

IKathaarI
2nd Nov 2013, 01:14
Well like you mentioned in the QnA, the corruption is Radial from the Pillars, so it's all dependent on just how 'close' we think these locations are to the pillars and if it would have spread that far since the pillars collapse. From there, it's completely up to the devs imagination but I assume if they ARE within range of corruption, then I suspect (especially The city of the of winged beings, being inside a mountain) a lot of earthquake related damage.

Or the alternative would to make these places seemingly untouched, to give that heavy nostalgic feel, ontop of the impression that there is definitely something... unique, about these locations to have them stand tall in a world completely falling apart.

Sluagh
4th Nov 2013, 22:40
I must admit, so far from what I've seen the dev. have been doing a good job of trying to keep people happy - offering something new but not treading over old lore with a careless touch. Admittedly, the idea of something so alive as a live pvp game struck me as a little off kilter for Legacy of Kain, as I the whole series before had been so dead and so damned. But I think you've managed to capture some of the dark elements well, even if the art direction is in a bit of a new vein. If Meridian ever became a playable area, perhaps the docks with all the atmospheric clanking and lapping of waves would be a great place for a skirmish?

lordbane2110
7th Nov 2013, 10:12
I would like the clan lands to be battlegrounds, so the catherdral for the zephon, the Necropolis for Melchs, The Sunken Cath for Rahab, the Ash Lands for Dumah and so on, just out of curiosity we know Razielium was quite close to the Lake of the Dead, but where were the Turelim located?

mappalazarou
8th Nov 2013, 17:16
It's not going to happen. The sanctuary of the clans was impenetrable. It's not like the humans would have had battering rams to break the doors open or grappling hooks to climb the walls with or anything. Oh, and nothing could ever be important enough to distract the thousands of vampires guarding it.

Yeah but if this game is set after Kain and Raziel's departure into the past (unless I've misread) then whose to say that the leftover vampires couldn't have weakened the Sanctuary's defences over time when they were fighting for supremacy following the fall of the Brethren? That means that the Sanctuary could well be a ruin, but with the Pillars still at the base (and Kain's old throne).

Personally I'd love to see some of the classic locales brought back for Nosgoth, rejigged of course to fit in with the new gameplay system.

The_Hylden
8th Nov 2013, 21:22
It's set a few (about 3) of centuries after Raziel was abyssed, with still 4-7 hundred years until he's resurrected as a wraith (as the developers are taking it that Raziel was in the abyss the better part of a millennium -- more than 700 years, at least). So, long, long before he and Kain go back in time. This is still the height of Kain's empire (mostly; if you consider the fall of Raziel and his clan's persecution that follows to be the start of the decline, then it's on that edge).