PDA

View Full Version : The Angelina Jolie Thread

Lo
11th May 2007, 13:36
As many people associate Angelina Jolie with Tomb Raider movies and little else, I thought I would take the liberty of starting a thread in which people can remark on her performance as Lara Croft or discuss her various projects as well as adding any media updates of interest.

Rarely a week goes by when AJ is not on the front cover of a myriad of magazine covers. She is on every cover of those I saw this morning in town.

I'll start off with concerns over her recent and progressive weight loss, said to be a direct result of the death of her mother some months ago. Pictures of AJ looking almost skeletal have caused concern amongst fans as well as partner Brad Pitt and close friends.

AJ is the same height and build as myself as it so happens and looking at her recent photographs I would have to estimate that she has fallen below 100lbs. I myself am 107lbs (8 & 1/2 stones) and she is looking even thinner than I do when I fall down to 8 stone (102 lbs). It is actually more apparent with Angelina because she has remarkably large hands and feet. Therefore the size of her hands emphasises her thin arms and vice versa. Again, it's only an estimate as I have small hands and feet and possibly a smaller bone structure all round.

More AJ news to follow as and when it reaches Lo HQ :D

Captain Mazda
11th May 2007, 17:19
I love Angelina. Any questions? Great.

I have tremendous respect for her, therefore I don't try to follow her around. I try to acknowledge the things she does around the world and of course, any news I can get my hands on regarding Tomb Raider 3.

That sounds very disturbing indeed. I can only hope they begin TRIII filming soon enough so she can get back to the combat-ready fitness level she was in for TR and TRII.

ladylinnycroft
11th May 2007, 21:20
here is a section on angelina on my site...and the movie sections if you wanna know more

http://www.codename-croft.com/angelinamenu/index.html

http://www.codename-croft.com/angelinamenu/page2.html

CatSuit&Ponytail
11th May 2007, 21:38
Hey Captain Mazda, you took the words right out of my mouth. :)

Mertz523
12th May 2007, 00:17
I love her so much. I wish the paparazzi would leave her alone.

I am trying to find all of ther movies, but sadly, I can't find like 3 of them. It's because they are either not available on DVD or not even available at all.

Her birthday is June 4, the day before TRA comes out in the US.

Captain Mazda
12th May 2007, 02:56
Hey Captain Mazda, you took the words right out of my mouth. :)

I actually feel bad for her. Here she is, the most beautiful and one of the most talented actresses in the world, a kind and gentle spirit, and an intelligent human being. What does she get in return? Her face bloated all over magazine covers with "GOSSIP" and "RUMOURS" emblazoned around her. No wonder everyone in Hollywood is trash. It seems only the garbage is respected. I was picking up anti-septic cream for my gash at a pharmacy and I noticed such bigotry printed on magazines with her face on them.

Leave her alone, for crying out loud :mad2:

Otherwise I'll be forced to take Ninjeriffic action http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a382/CaptainMazda/Smilies/ninja.gif

Lo
12th May 2007, 08:58
It's amazing just how much flak that lady takes over on IMDb.

People who can't possibly know her are so quick to slate her adoptions for example, as publicity stunts. Angelina is a ranking star who is bankable - she doesn't need to take cheap shots at getting publicity, if anything she shuns the limelight, only giving interviews when she is allowed to highlight the plight of those less fortunate.

People conveniently forget that she gives a third of her earnings to charity. When asked if this was true in an interview whilst expecting Shiloh, she basically said that she was fortunate to get paid ridiculous amounts of money for doing something she enjoys and that she has no use for such vast fortunes and would prefer to use her earnings to benefit others.

I am inclined to believe that she only makes movies to ensure that her charities don't lose out. It's Brad who is materialistic I would say, he likes his creature comforts whereas Angie is a little more nomadic and down to earth.

I will report any gossip pieces as I read them but that isn't to say I support them, I'm going to throw them open to discussion so that folks who wish to defend her can do so.

I'm not saying she's perfect, none of us are. Angelina is allegedly a very insecure person and that isn't surprising given her early abandonment as a child. I think she also fears, as many in her situation do, that Brad could stray. Many relationships that begin under these circumstances are frought with doubt and insecurity because there will always be that 'He left her for me, would he leave me for someone else?' scenario.

I really do hope that this proves to be a very happy and long-lived union in spite of Angelina's understandable reluctance to tie the knot given her history of failed marriages. She previously stated that she and Brad were committed to their children and that was the important issue here.

She is all too often blamed for wrecking his marriage but there is a lot more to Brad and Jennifer's marriage problems than is public fodder I would suggest....Brad himself once said publically that even he couldn't say for sure if he wanted to be married forever. Not the sentiments of a blissfully happily married man :scratch: Also, AJ has insisted that she could never play around with a married man in light of what it did to her mother and she loved and respected her mother very much so I believe she was being truthful :)

CatSuit&Ponytail
14th May 2007, 14:04
You know, I do not like rumours and gossip about the people who give of themselves for our entertainment. Their private lives are theirs, and they should not be speculated about here. This is not a tabloid forum, it's about the games, and in Tomb Raider's case, also the movies.

If you want to talk about AJ's or Karima's or whoever's public appearances, careers, charity work or movies, that's fair game. What they do out of those realms is of none of our concern.

Also, when speaking of these people here, be kind and respectful. I am tired of the constant criticizing of these people by online folks here and about.

Thanks. ;)

So, what did you think of her character in Mr. and Mrs. Smith? I thought she was channeling Lara in places. :D

Advent-Lara
14th May 2007, 14:07
You know this may sound weird but at some places in Mr & Ms smith I felt like she was at some places more lara then she ever was in the TR Movies , I know it sounds weird. But She played it as Classy as Lara is , and in the movies she wasn't that classy

Captain Mazda
14th May 2007, 16:57
So, what did you think of her character in Mr. and Mrs. Smith? I thought she was channeling Lara in places. :D

Her most beautiful appearance since the Tomb Raider movies no doubt http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a382/CaptainMazda/Smilies/lub.gif

cazzer
14th May 2007, 17:23
she is a complete star and she does not deserve to have newspapers making rumors about her.
journalists are horrid and are too persistent.:mad2:

Captain Mazda
14th May 2007, 19:23
They should stick to taking crotch shots of Twitney Beers and her trailer park sisters.

Leave Angie alone.

cazzer
14th May 2007, 19:51
she should only be pesterd by viewers, without them even making contact with her. (if that makes sense):scratch:

Atheist
14th May 2007, 20:42
I hate her because I'm in love with Brad Pitt...:(

Headache
14th May 2007, 21:42
I hate her because I'm in love with Brad Pitt...:(
Not anymore.
But who knows these days. The media likes to twist people's arms and make rampant, unchecked rumors and remarks. I despise reading anything and everything on those damned tabloids you see while standing in line at your grocery store.

Angelina is one of the more down-to-earth actresses I've ever seen, and she puts obvious effort into really being the character. She also cares about what the hell is going on around the world and plays another role of trying to help out - not a common trait among the other actors/actresses who just seem to sit on their ass and 'look pretty'. And not only is it her natural beauty that makes her beautiful, she's a well-rounded person with a good head on her shoulders.

Lo
23rd May 2007, 07:58
It's just been on the breakfast news that Angie has had a new tattoo. I have seen pictures of some of them and they are nice but I am not keen on this at all, no matter who it's been etched on! :(

It's just four lines of writing on her upper left arm - apparently the coordinates of where her children come from. I have to be honest, I am a 'fan' if you like, but this tattoo is not at all artistic, it looks very untidy, like a half-finished shopping list scribbled in biro ink :confused:

I don't oppose tattoos on women but I am not keen on them appearing on the arms like this, it looks a little too masculine to me. No offence to anyone who has them but I can't help wondering if people will regret it when they are in their twilight years. It really isn't flattering at all, can't think what possessed her into ruining her beautiful skin like this but that's just my take on it, others may like it. :)

LisaB1962
23rd May 2007, 14:42
Yeah, I can appreciate tattoos as art, but I can't think of any statement I'd want to make for the rest of my life in such a stagnant fashion. I changed my mind too much, I guess.

It's a good thing they've got CG programs to delete those tattoos in movies so she can do any part she likes. There's a huge tiger on her back.

Lo
23rd May 2007, 15:50
Yeah, I can appreciate tattoos as art, but I can't think of any statement I'd want to make for the rest of my life in such a stagnant fashion. I changed my mind too much, I guess.

It's a good thing they've got CG programs to delete those tattoos in movies so she can do any part she likes. There's a huge tiger on her back.

Yes, when I first saw pictures of AJ's tattoos in a bath pose I was stunned :eek: Like you say, they must airbrush them out for her roles. I'm not sure if she had the tiger when she played in Tomb Raider but I was surprised because of course in the after-shower scene her skin is free from tattoos.

I know she had a few with Billy Bob and that she has quite a few all told.

Most women I know of with body art have quite demure little tattoos in places that are a little hidden - the inside of the ankle or a tiny angel or something on the shoulder blade. To have something as large as a tiger is exceptionally brave (and maybe a little wreckless if I'm honest), for surely folks would want to cover them up when much older.

There's no getting around it - tattoos can look very appealing on ladies of a certain youthful age but I once saw an elderly lady with a tattoo on her upper arm and it wasn't a good look - particularly as the skin loses elasticity and the image (especially with those older inks they used to use), becomes blurred and distorted.

Put it this way, I resisted severl impulse urges to get inked and at 39 I'm kinda relieved, not that I'm old lol but I won't exactly be getting any younger ;)

Headache
23rd May 2007, 19:55
Like you say, they must airbrush them out for her roles. I'm not sure if she had the tiger when she played in Tomb Raider but I was surprised because of course in the after-shower scene her skin is free from tattoos.
Im not sure what tattoo, if one at all, she has on her upper left arm.. But in the first Tomb Raider movie, the scene where Alex falls in the water and gets caught in the gears: I noticed after Angie surfaced, there is a large, darkish area where I indicated... maybe it was just me or something on the screen. I tend to see things that aren't there these days :nut:

Lo
23rd May 2007, 20:16
Im not sure what tattoo, if one at all, she has on her upper left arm.. But in the first Tomb Raider movie, the scene where Alex falls in the water and gets caught in the gears: I noticed after Angie surfaced, there is a large, darkish area where I indicated... maybe it was just me or something on the screen. I tend to see things that aren't there these days :nut:

Tee hee, I've just loaded the movie to get to that point headache. I'll report back with an edit as to anything of interest I find ;)

P.S. I posted some pics at long last in the member album here in General and chanced upon the pic of you riding Jade. What a lovely photograph, thanks for sharing :)

EDIT: Yes, it is definitely there, it looks like a huge bruise :scratch:

RuumTaedor
23rd May 2007, 21:27
I've misplaced my DVD at the moment, but I'm embarrassed to admit that I listened to the Director's Commentary quite a while ago (am I the only one? :o), and I'm sure he talks about the problems of using waterproof makeup to cover the tatoos for the shower scene. Someone (that being Lo) who has the movie could confirm that.

Edit: Hehe I think I see you coming, Lo.

Lo
23rd May 2007, 21:46
I've misplaced my DVD at the moment, but I'm embarrassed to admit that I listened to the Director's Commentary quite a while ago (am I the only one? :o), and I'm sure he talks about the problems of using waterproof makeup to cover the tatoos for the shower scene. Someone (that being Lo) who has the movie could confirm that.

Edit: Hehe I think I see you coming, Lo.

Ah, had to re-read that post Ruum, I just put the Director's Commentary on at the bit where Alex is given underwater CPR and nothing is mentioned. Just about to go to the shower scene...

He says that Angelina had somewhere in the region of 23 tattoos on her body - most of which were painted over by the make-up artists. Depending on what outfit she was wearing they had to daub them accordingly but he says that the shower scene was the hardest being that there was so much flesh on display.

Lo
23rd May 2007, 21:50
Interestingly enough, the director goes on to say that as it was rated a 13 film, he wanted to show a bit of flesh but not too much and that it took quite a few takes to get 'that' shot just right (where she walks away from Hilary minus the towel with a segment of babylon showing) :D

RuumTaedor
23rd May 2007, 22:48
Oh, I just remembered something I've wondered about for a long time. On the Director's Commentary at the scene where Alex is killed just when Angie jumps in the water, there is apparently an Easter Egg at that point. Does anyone know what it is?

Also, just FYI, the director spoke of several models of the clock. I can't remember the details, but I remember it was interesting.

Headache
23rd May 2007, 23:58
Oh, I just remembered something I've wondered about for a long time. On the Director's Commentary at the scene where Alex is killed just when Angie jumps in the water, there is apparently an Easter Egg at that point. Does anyone know what it is?
Dunno about that certain Egg, but this was the only one I could find:

From the main menu, select special features. On the next screen, press UP on your remote once, to highlight 'main menu'. Press DOWN once to highlight the 2 wavy lines. Press ENTER to see a brief interview between Angelina Jolie and her real life father, Jon Voight (who plays her father in the film).
You might have to have the special edition for that...?

Also, just FYI, the director spoke of several models of the clock. I can't remember the details, but I remember it was interesting.
But you are correct about the clock. It took them hours upon hours of work to replicate the pieces and gears that would be in your typical clock.. Personally, the workings I saw when Lara threw it into the time-storm didn't exactly remind me of a clock....

And thank you, Lo. Honestly I should say that you're very pretty! :D

RuumTaedor
24th May 2007, 04:11
Dunno about that certain Egg, but this was the only one I could find:

You might have to have the special edition for that...?

But you are correct about the clock. It took them hours upon hours of work to replicate the pieces and gears that would be in your typical clock.. Personally, the workings I saw when Lara threw it into the time-storm didn't exactly remind me of a clock....

Thanks for checking, but I've seen that one, and you don't need a special edition for that. The director specifically mentions an "Easter Egg" at that moment, so I'm guessing it's something visual, but I never saw anything.

As for the clock, when Lara throws it in the time-storm, once again from the Director's Commentary, that was computer graphics, so they just generated some clock pieces and whatnot and animated it coming apart.

Captain Mazda
24th May 2007, 04:49
I'm upset and angered by Angelina Jolie.

What the hell? She was the one actress who always showed the most intelligence and intellect, yet here she is in a neo-con, pro-bull**** movie, "A Mighty Heart".

I just don't know what to think now...is it over between us?

I still think she's amazing...but with all those tattoos, kids, and now this bullcrap, I wish I could turn back time and tell her...hmmm...

Lo
24th May 2007, 09:35
I saw our AJ on the news this morning but missed most of the interview clip as I was in the kitchen stood next to the washing machine in full spin and didn't hear it.

She was speaking of her grief over her mother who she says was her companion and best friend. I just hope she slows down a bit, she looks like she's heading for burn-out :(

Her usually lovely features looked strained and drawn and her complexion very pale - understandable given the stress she must be under and the subsequent weight loss she has suffered. I don't know how she keeps on going, she's remarkable. Not only with her filming schedules but her charity work and bringing up four young children all the time suffering from grief must be hard. I guess throwing herself into life as she does is her way of coping but she looks like she could do with a long break - she really did look seriously ill.

LisaB1962
24th May 2007, 17:58
I was the same age when my mom died, and we too had a really good relationship. It sucks, it sucks a lot.

Lo
24th May 2007, 18:46
I was the same age when my mom died, and we too had a really good relationship. It sucks, it sucks a lot.

That's very sad indeed Lisa, I can only imagine how I would feel losing my mum, she means the world to me. In fact both parents are dearly loved but are heading for 70 now so it does make you think a bit and you appreciate each visit you get with them. You just never know what's around the corner.

Poor you, must have been devastating :(

thomaswest8t
28th May 2007, 14:10
Do you think ANgie would be as famous as she is without tomb-Raider, that movie made her career

MercuryRapids
28th May 2007, 14:13
Do you think ANgie would be as famous as she is without tomb-Raider, that movie made her career

She won an Oscar before Tomb Raider... :rolleyes:

thomaswest8t
28th May 2007, 14:26
Oh yes i forgot about that,
But tomb Raider did made her a household name.

Lo
29th May 2007, 12:47
Oh yes i forgot about that,
But tomb Raider did made her a household name.

I agree, certainly I had never heard of her prior to the TR movie and I watch a lot of movies and movie reviews!!

In fact, when TR the movie came out, I was dispassionate because I had never played the game (any proper PC game for that matter). It was a few years after I got hooked on the games that I bought and viewed the movie. Shortly after I bought the second TR movie, Angelina had starred in Mr & Mrs Smith and I went to see it at the cinema. It seems that only during the making of that movie and after it came out AJ was in the news almost every week with all the (then) speculation about her and Brad Pitt's relationship butyes, she had been in the news prior to that because of her performance on the TR films :)

LarasBFF
31st May 2007, 19:07
I love Angelina. Any questions? Great.

I have tremendous respect for her, therefore I don't try to follow her around. I try to acknowledge the things she does around the world and of course, any news I can get my hands on regarding Tomb Raider 3.

That sounds very disturbing indeed. I can only hope they begin TRIII filming soon enough so she can get back to the combat-ready fitness level she was in for TR and TRII.

I agree w/ you Captain!!

Phlip
31st May 2007, 19:16
I love Angie! I think she's a great Lara Croft! :D

NightRain'06
26th Jun 2007, 03:18
To quote someone else; I think it was Captain Mazda ~ "AJ IS LC !"
And I fully agree from the original film.

Though, I've read recently only the cover of National Enquirer or Star magazine that her weight is down to 98 pounds ! :(
I really never read those magazines but this cover caught my eye.

So if they can't keep her to play LC in the third installment, I guess my hypothetical second choice would be Kate Beckinsale (Underworld, Underworld Evolution). I mean, hey, she used dual guns in those films AND SHE WORE A CATSUIT. So both her feet are in the door; hypothetically speaking. ;) :D

ETA:

First, when I saw the TV trailer for it, I considered it a serious film because that's how it was teased as. Eventually in the second or third trailer they revealed it was from the same director who did 'The Bourne Identity' - Doug Liman. It interested me even more.

After watching Mr. and Mrs. Smith in theaters, I actually liked it even if it had its sprinkles of humor. :p

Yeah, I was also thinking don't mess with Lara ! You know you can't win, John ! :)

Hence the favorite line in the film ~ "Who's your daddy now ?" ~ Jane Smith.

~~~~
I've begun collecting her previous and future films after TR. Though I still don't have Original Sin, Cyborg 2, Gia, Hackers...

Faye
26th Jun 2007, 05:15
It's amazing just how much flak that lady takes over on IMDb.

I know, it's incredible. I've posted on the Angelina board there on and off for about a year now, and that place is just insane. It's quite funny just how seriously people take it over there, writing huge essays about how she's such a bad person, but at the same time it's very sad.

CatSuit&Ponytail
26th Jun 2007, 07:50
Hackers...

....is one of my favourite movies hehehehe. :D

ditom
26th Jun 2007, 20:06
I like this movie to.

Atheist
26th Jun 2007, 21:08
I don't like AJ... :mad:

<-------------- BIG full stop.

Paulraider
27th Jun 2007, 01:01
As far as angelina jolie movie past the crap TR films ( cos they are), i've seen for more superior acting from her, oh yes

Firefox- this at the time i was hunting for it was a dam hard to find film, found the soundtrack first, then finally bought when the U.S finally released the DVD in the states. brilliant girl film but for some reason it was classed and lesiban sexually film, dont ask, i was confused, thats the U.S for ya
Original saw it on sky, i was hooked from there

Hackers brilliant/ got it,
life or something like it - great drama and funny, love it
l
sky captin and world of tomorrow, - very unusual film, love it as well
Taking live - have seen some of it, got to be in the right mood
gone in 60 second- awsome
girl interrupted, - oh, oh oh outstanding performance, jolie in her element
The bone collector- one of me favs, seen in 8 times on DVD

thats the ones ive got and believe me the best. I have seen a litt;e of mr and mrs jones, but wasnt really taken to it?? dont know why