PDA

View Full Version : 300 anyone?

LOFO1993
29th Oct 2013, 21:53
Did you all see the new sketch for the vampire hunter posted in the blog? Well, do it, and then look at this picture:
http://www.inspirationdna.com/images/immortals.jpg

Psyonix, you can do better than this.

IKathaarI
29th Oct 2013, 22:15
They look very similar to the warpriests found in Zephon's lair from SR1, so maybe, just maybe, you could stop being so nit-picky.

LOFO1993
29th Oct 2013, 22:27
You mean these? http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100904091927/legacyofkain/images/c/cc/SR1-Screenshot-Enemy-WorshiperAdept.jpg

That's actually a question, I don't remember every single enemy from Soul Reaver.

If that's what you're talking about, just no, they don't look at all like them.

And don't treat me like ad idiot just because I pointed out something, thanks. This is a forum, you know, people talk here, and sometimes they say things you may even not like.

TenebraeAeterna
29th Oct 2013, 23:02
I'm fond of it, the style isn't restricted to 300...

Vampmaster
29th Oct 2013, 23:29
http://legacyofkain.wikia.com/wiki/Cenobites?file=Cenobite-Defiance.jpg

TendrilSavant
29th Oct 2013, 23:35
Concept art is usually just to show proof of concept. A lot of concept art that doesn't make it in to most games is usually referenced from other images, makes producing them much faster. In this case, the mask was probably a quick placeholder until they fleshed out some ideas.

As for the creativity of the mask itself, it looks cool but is nowhere original. It's very similar to samurai masks.

IKathaarI
30th Oct 2013, 00:42
'Psyonix, you can do better than this.' Is not a question it's a direct jab at their abilities, and the image you gave me, ontop of the other posted by Vampmaster proves one thing; Human warriors in Nosgoth are fond of war masks, and the SR1 image still looks eerily similar to (but obviously a lot less detailed than) the mask worn by the Vampire Hunters.

Giving them samurai-esque masks is no more or less original then giving them repeater crossbows.

LOFO1993
30th Oct 2013, 07:44
'Psyonix, you can do better than this.' Is not a question it's a direct jab at their abilities.

My God, it was just a joke. I think someone here really needs to relax a bit; we're just talking about a game, not deciding on anyone's life.

To everybody: of course my point was that the mask - and the mask alone - looked a lot like the one from 300. I know perfectly there were masked humans in other LoK games, I wasn't calling a "lore fault", I only noticed a HUGE similarity between the twos and thought it would have been nice to let everyone see it.

That's it. I don't want to attack the game or anyone for this. If what I wrote was seen as a direct jab to the developers I apologize, it wasn't my intention really. I thought this forum was an enough "relaxed" place to make some irony without being immediately chased down by barking fanboys, but guess I was wrong. I'll be back to my shady existence now.

TenebraeAeterna
30th Oct 2013, 14:48
My God, it was just a joke. I think someone here really needs to relax a bit; we're just talking about a game, not deciding on anyone's life.

To everybody: of course my point was that the mask - and the mask alone - looked a lot like the one from 300. I know perfectly there were masked humans in other LoK games, I wasn't calling a "lore fault", I only noticed a HUGE similarity between the twos and thought it would have been nice to let everyone see it.

That's it. I don't want to attack the game or anyone for this. If what I wrote was seen as a direct jab to the developers I apologize, it wasn't my intention really. I thought this forum was an enough "relaxed" place to make some irony without being immediately chased down by barking fanboys, but guess I was wrong. I'll be back to my shady existence now.

It's very difficult to portray sarcasm through the internet, and yet simultaneously simplistic. What you wrote is ambiguous, it could have been nothing but sarcastic humor...but typically it would be genuine spite towards what's presented within due to the manner you had written it. Now, had you added a ":P" at the end, this would have instantly changed to pure sarcasm and humor that most would have gotten...or should have at the very least.

Instead, we're left with no indication of sarcasm or humor due to a lack of vocal tone. When you're attempting to be sarcastic, humorous, or both through the internet...you have to remember that tone is everything. Without tone, you can't tell the difference and are left with nothing more than the words provided to ascertain what the author truly means.

If you're trying to be funny, play it safe...add a :P.

Paradoks_db
31st Oct 2013, 12:42
I like humans' design so far. It's a nice mix of old and new ideas. I would like to see more variations posted though. Sadly I can't say that about locations' design.

Sluagh
9th Nov 2013, 09:44
Instead, we're left with no indication of sarcasm or humor due to a lack of vocal tone. When you're attempting to be sarcastic, humorous, or both through the internet...you have to remember that tone is everything. Without tone, you can't tell the difference and are left with nothing more than the words provided to ascertain what the author truly means.

Haha this should be a golden rule on forum posting. although occasionally forget it myself must say.

I think the masks look awesome. A slight Orientalist theme to some of design is great, and moves it away from the medieval European banality you see in some game design. As long as it doesn't become quasi-racist, which in my op 300 was.