PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Memory of the series.

Luneth
11th Jun 2012, 12:44
I Love Dragon Quest. I grew up playing DQ and Its a truly, inspiriational RPG. I truly love it and i hope they make more console-based games and not MMO's. I would want an IOS Port. Im sure they'd boost their sales by making a port of the older games like DQ V and setting it at 20$. I just want them to keep making awesome DQ games. Square Enix Your the best, and from the best i expect the best. :D

linklaruso
11th Jun 2012, 14:29
I agree. Going the MMO rout seems silly for a main numbered title in any RPG. Final Fantasy Online and Online 2. That would have been appropriate. Dragon Quest Online. That would be fine. It's dissappointing to make people who enjoy classic RPG's shift to something else, something so severely different from a normal RPG. I also feel main numbered titles should stick to full consoles, and not mobile systems. The last good DQ for me was VIII. I loved it. It looks like I may be waiting a long time for another DQ game done to that quality for a classic RPG goer like myself.

LordRoto
14th Jun 2012, 18:19
I agree. Going the MMO rout seems silly for a main numbered title in any RPG. Final Fantasy Online and Online 2. That would have been appropriate. Dragon Quest Online. That would be fine. It's dissappointing to make people who enjoy classic RPG's shift to something else, something so severely different from a normal RPG. I also feel main numbered titles should stick to full consoles, and not mobile systems. The last good DQ for me was VIII. I loved it. It looks like I may be waiting a long time for another DQ game done to that quality for a classic RPG goer like myself.

IX is a fantastic game, and I imagine X will also be, everybody seems to think it's some crazy departure from the series, but honestly it's DQ VIII, with battles that have a little bit XenoBlade Chronicles in them, AND it's online. If you never wanted to go on an epic adventure with friends. Then you don't get what X means. And unlike FF online, it is very much Dragon Quest, not an MMO losely based on it, it is a very core DQ game, and I wish more people realised this.

Hopefully we'll all get a better grasp when square/nintendo brings it over

LordRoto
15th Jun 2012, 00:13
So, looking back, looking way back to the very entry that helped inspire a lot from DQIX. There were so many cool moments from 3. Be it the personality test at the beginning, or some of the crazy moments in game. Which was the most memorable moment for you?

One of my favs was going to jipang and dealing with orochi. But my favorite, most sureal moment, was falling into the world of darkness, only to hear that familiar tune, and find yourself in alefgard. Totally blew me away!

frostare
15th Jun 2012, 01:40
How are the classes like in this game?

frostare
15th Jun 2012, 01:58
I agree, what's so bad about going adventuring with friends? The one real issue I can foresee is having connection problems and people ragequiting or I dunno, I never played an MMO but sure wanted to.

Also I don't get how DQIX broke what tradition. Had it not existed, I would never have found such a beautiful RPG with a classic-style. Now tell me, if it was DQIX the one that introduced that style to me and many people, Why is it considered different? It puzzles me.

frostare
15th Jun 2012, 01:59
I agree, what's so bad about going adventuring with friends? The one real issue I can foresee is having connection problems and people ragequiting or I dunno, I never played an MMO but sure wanted to.

Also I don't get how DQIX broke what tradition. Had it not existed, I would never have found such a beautiful RPG with a classic-style. Now tell me, if it was DQIX the one that introduced that style to me and many people, Why is it considered different? It puzzles me.

LordRoto
15th Jun 2012, 03:42
Well, they arn't as deep as they are in later installments. You have A jester thief martial artist merchant warrior mage and priest, the hero is a class of it's own. At alltrades abbey you can swap classes, and I think you did keep your spells. It's been awhile. Also, you could unlock the Sage class, which was the best class in the game

tiaeltaru
15th Jun 2012, 14:43
Finding myself in Alefgard was indeed awesome.

LordRoto
15th Jun 2012, 15:48
Yeah. Another awesome moment is the pyramid, and once you beat it you continue exploring and find the awesome gold claws for your martial artist. But once you try to leave, you encounter monsters every setp, and if you die, you find the gold claw was sent back to it's resting place. I've never encountered something like that curse in another video game like it

pingviinituutti
17th Jun 2012, 07:22
I personally have nothing againts going through the epic quest with my friends. How could I?! What I'm affraid of is that DQ might lose (or lower) one of its parts I love the most: deep and epic storyline. Can SE make the NPCs as easy to identify as in the series they used to be in X? Is there any real quest at all, or is it all about random monster slaughtering and completing some sidequests with friends? After VIII I found the IX's story horribly short and artifical. Like there was no story at all! It wasn't interesting to play though, and in the post game one wasn't given a chance to unvail the mysteries behind this new world or anything. It was all about messing with friends. From a DQ game I want a long (100 h +) and rich, eventful story and world. Having a chance to go through it with friends? No problem.

LordRoto
17th Jun 2012, 11:47
Well 8 obviously had the most character story because it really fleshed them out. But 9 still had a pretty good story line. ANd that's how DQ has always been really. The series fleshes out NPCs more than any other RPG series. A lot of the town have their own issues. I thought it was cool that IX's central story had caused so much mayhem accross the world. like reviving the wight knight, or the curse of coffinwell, the death of jona's father, and the revival of the gittish empire.

In some interview, Horii said that the story of X will be on par with the series if not better than most of the entries. But time will tell lol

pingviinituutti
19th Jun 2012, 09:22
In some interview, Horii said that the story of X will be on par with the series if not better than most of the entries. But time will tell lol

Of course they say that. That would completely kill all the hype if they didn't. Eg Super Smash Bros. Brawl would never had been such a shock to the Smash scene if Sakurai had said "Well, the game mechanics did suffer a great loss... but look at all these new characters!!"

frostare
23rd Jun 2012, 13:32
Personally, I was marveled at DQIX's storyline, not because it's the deepest one I've seen but because how they managed to flesh it out with the personality limitations the main character had, and all the options of going through it that you, as the player, had. And there's two ways of looking at your party members: Either they're bland 3-D sprites that you dress or they have the greatest stories behind them which you helped create. I firmly believe is what the creators where going for, unless someone thinks it's easier to make a create-a-functional-character option in the game than to just make the characters themselves, which I hardly believe to be the case.

Finally I wanna add theory of mine: Storyline in videogames is becoming an addiction among gamers today kinda like graphics. Please remember thar gameplay is what matters most.

RobRoy
24th Jun 2012, 14:02
Being in Domdora, the destroyed city from DQI

member_10073902
24th Jun 2012, 15:28
The personality test at the beginning was my favorite part. The first time I played it, the test nailed me spot on. I picked it up again a few years later to see if the test was still accurate and again, it got my personality down very well, even though I'd answered differently since I'd grown and changed in the intervening years.

LordRoto
27th Jun 2012, 09:01

Of course they say that. That would completely kill all the hype if they didn't. Eg Super Smash Bros. Brawl would never had been such a shock to the Smash scene if Sakurai had said "Well, the game mechanics did suffer a great loss... but look at all these new characters!!"

I still believe it o3o

tiaeltaru
27th Jun 2012, 11:32

I still believe it o3o

Personally Final Fantasy XI had one of the better stories (and soundtracks) in the series, so it's not entirely unfeasible for DQX to have an awesome story on par with other DQ games.

LordRoto
27th Jun 2012, 15:04
I never got to play the FF MMOs :O But I trust what they be doing DQX wise

frostare
28th Jun 2012, 08:45
Me too, I'm not one to take everything they throw at me nor I pick up any game I find. But everything in this game looks apalling to me as I've never tried it before. And I like digging into new fun mechanics with one of my favorite series out there. =D

member_10592572
28th Jun 2012, 20:44
Most memorable moment? Here's my "WHAT?" moments as I can recall them: 1) Learing that there was another new class that you could change to at the shrine. 2) Falling into Alefgard. 3) Catching up with Ortega in Zoma's castle (*cry*), after completely forgetting about him for most of the game. These are the 3 things I can remember from 1992. :D

LordRoto
3rd Jul 2012, 17:17
Yeah ditto. As nice as it is to play a new entry, it's always fun to see what new tweaks and twists They can add or refine

LordRoto
3rd Jul 2012, 17:18
That's right, finding Ortega like that, I totally forgot :O That was brutal

Rigtinn
24th Jul 2012, 14:06
My best moments came when playing 8. What are your most loved moments in the history of Dragon Quest?

Rigtinn
24th Jul 2012, 14:12
I wonder how the story will be tackled? X has beautiful cutscenes and they work with whatever character you create. I love customization and I hope for an option where you can lock a costume you like, like DC Universe Online. You still have the upped stats, but maintain that coustme you love when you were at lvl 1 lol.

Wind
29th Jul 2012, 14:14
It would definitely be just walking around the world map in VIII. So many beautiful vistas that you just stand there staring. Very few games did that for me.

Rigtinn
10th Aug 2012, 14:58
One of my memories were just being excited about getting a new move in 8 and 9. The beauty of those moves was so hard to not think about!

tiaeltaru
13th Aug 2012, 11:49
This,

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap_OL3bKD9Y (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap_OL3bKD9Y)

Starting the original up when I was 5, there was something magical about it, and I'm glad I got into it.
Definitely my most loved RPG series of all time.

frostare
13th Aug 2012, 18:10
You're probably gonna think I'm copying you, but when I stepped into the field The map, the monsters, all seemed so... magical. I was mesmerized by the art style. Also there are games so great that they feel different when I play them the first time and halfway or at the end, they make me feel like I'm experiencing another amazing adventure. DQIX did this for me at least four times!

There's another one: when I found myself in DQVI: PRICELESS

theblackjester
26th Aug 2012, 10:23
Ahhhh, it won't fit in the slots: Tales of Fantasia, DQ1,2,3... other GB Color or Advanced.

It's a bit of a nuissance, will any way like a drive, adapter, or way to have a transfer
of DQ and GBA, even a way to end using recent DQ 4-6 and 9 releases to work along
the 3DS internet. Bloody annoying it all changes just a year after 6 changes.
Had to keep my DS lite to use GBA still and keep my DQ6 sharing thing running.

By the time DQ 5 or at least 6 came out, should have been prepaired of street pass and so on...