PDA

View Full Version : Reboot/ crash?

bloodyvivaldi
18th Apr 2007, 15:59
Hey all, I've got a weird problem, that doesn't seem to have been addressed yet. I just got Thief: Deadly Shadows (PC version, obviously), and every so often the game crashes and my computer reboots itself. No warnings or anything, that's it: screen goes black, computer starts up. It usually happens when moving between and/or starting levels, although it's also happened at least once while reloading a save. The error code that generates when Windows finally restarts is:

BCCode : 10000050 BCP1 : E298A764 BCP2 : 00000000 BCP3 : BFA8D7C8
BCP4 : 00000001 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1 BCCode : 10000050

Oh, my specs are allegedly well above the minimum requirements: Athalon 3200, 2GHz, 1G RAM, GeForce6800 etc., and the game runs well enough during the training mission. All my drivers- video, sound, etc- are updated (double checked before I posted!) and I've not installed any mods, but I did patch to v1.1. The patch helped a little bit (I actually got to the second mission!), but not much. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Zeus
9th Aug 2007, 18:03
I'm also experiencing this same EXACT bug (same symptoms and everything). I have searched Google and have only found a few references to this problem. But all of the people I found with this problem have an nvidia card so it's likely to be a problem with the graphics card. I also have a Geforce 6800. I've tried all kinds of drivers, older newer ect, but can't figure it out.

Peter_Smith
10th Aug 2007, 07:05
I think you both should post your exact and detailed system specs, including CPU, audio and video cards, drivers, DX version, and operating system / SP version. Maybe someone can learn something from the specs. I can say it is probably not the video card alone. Plenty of people play successfully with Nvidia cards. I have played it with a Ti 4200, a 6800 GT and a 7950 GT with three different computers, two operating systems, and lots of different driver versions and never had a crash. Also, please describe where you got the game and who is the publisher, especially if it is not an Eidos original version.

Zeus
10th Aug 2007, 13:47
Nvidia Geforce 6800 256 Mb
2 GB Ram
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
Creative X-Fi sound card
Direct X 9.0c (reinstalled it again but didn't help the crash)
Windows XP SP2
Steam Purchase

Peter_Smith
11th Aug 2007, 02:53
Everything looks normal here but "Steam purchase". I seem to recall something negative about that, but I can't find specifics. Here is one link (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=681684&highlight=steam#post681684) without a solution.

Nemsis-2k
20th Aug 2007, 18:00
Hey there!
I also got exactly the same bug!

The sad thing is, that i've played Deadly Shadows over the last months to a pretty late spot in the the game and I'm experiencing the problem for the first time! Only since yesterday or so...

I'm in the Auldale district (not for the first time!!) and the game keeps hanging up and my machine keeps rebooting, although(!) i've turned automatical restart off. Very strange.
Before my system hangs the sound disappears and strange 'athmospherical noise' and beeps comes out of the speakers.

All drivers are updated and i've played with patch 1.1 from the beginning.
A reinstall of the game was no solution...

My specs:

Athlon 64 3500+
2 Gigs RAM
Radeon X800XL
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
WinXP SP2
DirectX9c

The game itself seems to be the original Eidos version.

Nanoc
1st Sep 2007, 00:10
Hey there!
I also got exactly the same bug!

All drivers are updated and i've played with patch 1.1 from the beginning.
A reinstall of the game was no solution...

My specs:

Athlon 64 3500+
2 Gigs RAM
Radeon X800XL
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
WinXP SP2
DirectX9c

Hi, same problem here.

My specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
1 Gigs RAM Gskill
Nvidia geforce 7600 GS
Western Digital 250 Gb Sata II
Asus A8N SLI
WinXP SP2
DirectX9c

Reinstall doesn't work, it justs reboots with no aparent reason...

Help, guys?

theBlackman
1st Sep 2007, 04:36
Crashing at Auldale is not uncommon. Play up to the point you try to enter. Do a QS and EXIT the game. Then restart the game and use the QS to start play.

That has worked for many.

Check the DEADLY SHADOWS forum and do a search this forum for AULDALE. You should find at least a dozen threads about it. Various "Cures" are offered try it.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46

Alorin
25th Sep 2007, 15:20
Heya,

I just had the same problem with Thief 3: Deadly Shadows after installing; after some time the game crashes or reboots for no apparant reason.

The problem is probably the processor; everyone with this problem here has an Athlon 64; me too. Maybe the problem can be solved now the cause is known?

Sensut
15th Nov 2007, 19:53
The same one was my problem. My system was an Athlon64 3000+ with a ASUS K8N, 1 GB RAM (2 x 512) and GF 6600. It was interesting, that only on the Windows XP SP2 happened this. I had a fresh dual boot with a simple XP and all worked well on the simple. :confused: I don't recall why, but not for this reason I changed the RAMs to one module. And the games worked fine after this on XP SP2 too. For me for example a RAM incompatibility causes all. Everything else worked perfect, just the game crashed and restarted the computer.

Peter_Smith
16th Nov 2007, 03:02
The problem is probably the processor; everyone with this problem here has an Athlon 64; me too. Maybe the problem can be solved now the cause is known?
I don't think the cause is known. Even if it were the processor, how would you solve it short of getting another computer?

A lot of people have Athlon 64s. A lot of people have Athlon 64s and have never experienced this crash problem. I am one of them. It may be A64 in conjunction with something else. Who knows? I am not sure that A64 is even a necessary element. We need first to see if there are any Intel people who have had this problem. If so, that shoots down the theory. And, maybe we need to dig deeper and see if there is another common element, such as chipset manufacturer, video card interface (AGP?) or bios settings.

In short, I think it is not that simple. It is an interesting idea, though, and worth pursuing.

Sensut
16th Nov 2007, 17:28
Yes. This is not an Athlon64 bug. A single overheating of a device may cause it. That happened for my brother. The cooler on the video card got dusty and on the case of a certain strain the motherboard himself stops the computer and rebooted. No error message, no bug report, no nothing after reboot :( . And Thief 3 is a game which sufficient burdens the video card. :cool: