PDA

View Full Version : Who makes a better Lara Croft - Karima Adebibe or Angelina Jolie?

Phlip
13th Apr 2007, 13:59
I voted for Angie :D

ElevenTR
13th Apr 2007, 15:04
Angie is american.
Karima is british. and looks like Lara. And wants to be Lara. but aint quite as rich as her yet! But Karima, you go girl!

Treeble
13th Apr 2007, 15:20
Who cooks better? :scratch:

How can you compare a model to an actress? They act in (VERY) different areas.

LisaB1962
13th Apr 2007, 15:41
Every time I see a picture of Karima she just looks unnatural with those guns. Sort of like a . . . model posing with a prop. ;)

I liked Lara Weller as a Lara model, but I enjoyed AJ as Lara very much in the movies. I thought she was as good as we could get.

yendor5538
13th Apr 2007, 21:56
Angie don't have to be American she's a emmy & golden globe wiinning actress. The reson why she speaks british so well because she spent some time in England for a while off and on so she wanted bring the accent justice. Lara's character was one dimensional on the PS1 video games and Angelina gave Lara more of a deep personality on the movies which brung over to the PS2 TR games. For goodness sake Angie just naturelly looks like Lara and she wasn't even a model even for the first movie the studios didn't have auditions for anyone to play Lara cause they knew Angie was the only one for the role. Karima Adebibe is a cool choice for Lara portrayer but Angelina Jolie is the best for Lara she even admitted it herself in so many words.

Headache
13th Apr 2007, 22:12
Hard to say....

My idea sways towards Treeble's observation.

I mean.. Karima does have the british background and looks that are very similar to Lara; however, like LisaB said, she looks unnatural with the weaponry bit - obviously, she's just modeling with props. Hence the model career.

Angelina on the other hand attempts what Lara does... Stunts, if I need to put it in plainer English. Even if she is American, she does a superb job as Lara in more ways than one - modeling and acting... Hence, the acting career.

LisaB1962
14th Apr 2007, 01:53
she spent some time in England

Actually, she owns a house there.

She worked really hard training to be Lara and did quite a few of the stunts herself (including one her stunt woman couldn't do.)

Tortue
14th Apr 2007, 13:17
I think she has more of the look, and give prop's to her acting, she had the attitude down. Maybe its the movies and seeing things live, but in my dreams Ms. Jolie is the Lara I see!!!:nut:

Laura Croft
15th Apr 2007, 12:00
I think Angelina played Lara well in the sense that the movie action sequences were very good, and very 'Lara'. However Karima looks more like Lara, especially dressed in the Legend outfit. So I can't really decide. For me it'd be Angelina for the action/adventure side of Ms Croft, and Karima for the looks.

munchkin
15th Apr 2007, 12:22
Angelina, obviously. She did many of her own stunts she embodied who Lara is.

No contest, Karima is a good lara model, probably the best there has been becasue she has done some trianing for it, and looks alot more Laraesque in her attitude than some, but if one is choosing between her or angelina... Angelina gets it.

imo ;)

beccaxx

Captain Mazda
15th Apr 2007, 17:01
Christ, Karima is a model. Angelina is a beautiful actress.

Angie IS Lara, there is no doubt about it. I want her to be the next game model, damn it!

Phlip
15th Apr 2007, 19:13
Has Karima Adebibe been a model before?

ladylinnycroft
15th Apr 2007, 20:30
yes karima has been a model...she also had a "blink and you miss it" a 2 second screen acting job on alien V predator as a sacrificial lamb.....i think angie and karima are so different you can't really compare the two....Angie great as movie lara, the one and only....then karima gorgeous and a great ambassedor for lara

StarChampagne
15th Apr 2007, 20:50
I watched the best part of the first TR movie today, and Angie has it just perfect. Voice, looks pretty close, acts the same way. I've only seen Karima in pictures though, so it's hardly the same. Her job is to look like Lara; Angelina's was to be Lara.

Mertz523
16th Apr 2007, 05:15
She worked really hard training to be Lara and did quite a few of the stunts herself (including one her stunt woman couldn't do.)

She had a MAN as a stunt double for some scenes in The Cradle of Life...

Same with Halle Berry in Catwoman. In fact, all her stunts were all done by a man. Creepy, since whenever you don't see her face in that movie, it's the guy. :lol: Horrid movie anyway.

Anyway, I think Karima is a good model for Lara. She smiles whilst holding her guns, which just looks strange to me, though.

I love Angelina Jolie and don't think anyone could have out done her, 'cept maybe Rhona Mitra. But Angelina is my honey. Can't wait for TR3, which is still in the script stages.

ladylinnycroft
16th Apr 2007, 11:42
angie did most of the stunts on the 1st tr movie herself....the bit on the swinging log in the temple was 100 % her.....the stunt people couldn't do it because of the swinging action making them feel sick....so angie did it all herself

Captain Mazda
16th Apr 2007, 17:32
She also did the horseback riding/shooting and combat stunts.

She pretty much did it all.

Phlip
16th Apr 2007, 17:50
I think Angie is the best Lara because she looks slightly like Lara and in an interview she did a lot of training so yeah. :thumbsup: @ Angie :p

Captain Mazda
16th Apr 2007, 21:37
I should say she does it all.

Still hoping for a 3rd movie.

Headache
16th Apr 2007, 23:22
Isn't that already in the works?

NightRain'06
18th Apr 2007, 05:22
No offense to those who like Karima but she's just only the current TR mascot-- aka Poser Croft.
I'm proud of myself for mustering up the courage to say that ! :lol: Yes, I know I'm the only one who found it funny.

I know there's a difference in the fact that one person only models as Croft while the other tries to be the real-life version of Croft.

And AJ was, is, and always will be the real Croft in my eyes. :p Case closed. Court's adjourned ! :D

Headache
18th Apr 2007, 18:57
No offense to those who like Karima but she's just only the current TR mascot-- aka Poser Croft.
I'm proud of myself for mustering up the courage to say that ! :lol: Yes, I know I'm the only one who found it funny.

That's where you're wrong... I find that funny too :cool:

Hat's off to ya, dawg.

Captain Mazda
18th Apr 2007, 23:21

Far from it :/

Mertz523
19th Apr 2007, 02:32

Early script stages by a screenwriter hand-picked (allegedly and secretly) by Paramount Pictures with the approval from Eidos Interactive. She is signed on for a third, and has voiced that she will do a third. She just wants to see a script first, obviously.

With the rejuvenation of the game franchise, I'm almost positive that they will do a third film. There was also a rumor that a Direct to DVD film would go into production as well...dunno how I feel about that.

Xcom
21st Apr 2007, 12:53
I know there's a difference in the fact that one person only models as Croft while the other tries to be the real-life version of Croft.

I wasn't aware that AJ was trying to be real-life version of Croft, but having thought about it, I can see how someone can draw parallels here. Lara collects artifacts from all over the world whereas AJ collects... babies from all over the world. :scratch:

IMO, Karima and AJ are not that different in relation to Lara: they both represent Lara in different dimensions, as it were. Basically just as you said -- one models her during conventions, while the other acts her on the big screen. But here's the funny thing: I can fully imagine Karima doing what AJ is doing, that is acting her in a movie. Lara role's is not particularly demanding when it comes to *ahem* actual acting. It's mostly physical work. I cannot for life imagine Jolie sweating for hours in convention centers, posing and waving guns, and taking pictures with thousands of people.

So, Karima wins. :rasp:

Captain Mazda
21st Apr 2007, 16:16
There was also a rumor that a Direct to DVD film would go into production as well...dunno how I feel about that.

That's terrible, Angelina is far from a direct-to-DVD actress :mad:

Lo
24th Apr 2007, 23:50
I haven't even heard of the other contender but I did like AJ as lara Croft and therefore voted for her.

On the DVD interview she spoke of having asked how to play Lara and the director said that she had to BECOME the character rather than play her. I have no doubt that as part of her preparation, she played or at least viewed the games in order to get a feel for the character.

She did undergo a lot of physical training for the part and had to be built up - she was too slender initially. her stunts were also very impressive.

I think AJ is generally a very watchable actress. Her beauty is captivating for both men and women alike and her features are very similar to what I would perceive Lara to look like in reality :)

I certainly don't feel that AJ is a Lara wannabe. She wears her hair differently and does not parade around in skimpy attire although I have no doubt that playing the part was a lot of fun. I'm sure most of us women would fancy a stab at such a role!

Captain Mazda
25th Apr 2007, 03:50
Well said Lo. I fully agree and would like to reiterate the fact that Angie is incredible :)

Lo
25th Apr 2007, 10:07
Thanks Captain Mazda :)

I have to say that I was recently astonished by the negative 'press' she was getting over on IMDb under the Angelina Jolie discussion boards.

Admittedly, the whole Brangelina scenario was a bit circumspect but then what do we know? His marriage could have been in dire straits prior to their union. People seem to forget that Angelina gives away one third of her vast earnings to her charities. She is rather modest about the whole thing, saying 'I earn an absurd amount of money for doing something I enjoy and it is far too much money, more than I need'.

But for some, she will always be seen as the scarlet woman. She is actually quite insecure and this is one reason she kept putting off marrying Brad, having had bad experiences before. Instead she maintains that the couple are committed to their children.

Aside from Tomb Raider, I have seen her in The Bone Collector, Taking Lives and Girl, Interrupted. She really throws herself in to the parts she plays and is a convincing actress. I personally can't wait to see her new film where she portrays the wife, Pearl?, of that journalist who was beheaded in the middle east. I have seen a picture of her dressed as the black woman - quite a transformation (can't recall the name of the film). :)

Mertz523
26th Apr 2007, 18:11
That's terrible, Angelina is far from a direct-to-DVD actress :mad:

My guess if Paramount did that they wouldn't use Angelina. That's why I'm hoping they DO NOT go the direct to DVD route...

And very well put, Lo. She is hands down my favorite actress. I'm trying to collect all her movies on DVD, but there are two that have yet to be released on that format. :mad2: Driving me crazy! She does have some crappy roles from the early 90's, though. But hey, she had to start out somewhere, right?

Here's a funny story that appalled me a few years ago. I went on a date and my date tried telling me that Angelina Jolie started out on the series ER. After more arguing, I finally realized who my date was referring to: He mistook Angelina Jolie for Juliana Marguiles. I was like...WHAT!!?? :mad2:

So then I ended the date, as there was nothing left to discuss. ;)

Captain Mazda
27th Apr 2007, 02:07
He mistook Angelina Jolie for Juliana Marguiles. I was like...WHAT!!?? :mad2:

So then I ended the date, as there was nothing left to discuss. ;)

He needed a punch :lol:

Gamer4Lyfe
8th May 2007, 19:45
Angelina Jolie. She was perfect in both movies! :D

Captain Mazda
8th May 2007, 21:19
I may have to publish a dictionary just to put Angie's picture as a definition of "perfect".

Advent-Lara
9th May 2007, 09:51
Hmmmm.....Angelina Jolie....She wasn't really behaving that classy girl like...Yet she is doing great...

Karima...She looks to cute , too sweet too.....oh well I voted For angie

Goran_101
9th May 2007, 09:59
I say AJ is way better, but Karima is not bad.

ditom
9th May 2007, 11:13
Karima is more beautyfull than Angelina
She looks like Lara,she played TR games and she is British.
Angelina is awful, her mouth are bigger than her face and she looks like Michael Jackson daughter.But this is my opinion.
Karima is the best !

Captain Mazda
9th May 2007, 17:16
Maybe you have enough spare tires for a truckstop and therefore are jealous of Angelina's beauty? Just a theory, since I have studied psychology.

Atheist
9th May 2007, 17:27
Or more rolls than Warrens bakery

Advent-Lara
9th May 2007, 17:45
The bad thing about actually playing Lara Croft is...You need to be strong , that means muscles , which is uncharming lmao...Karima jsut needs to do poses and needs to stay skinny (which is a easy task but she doesn't seems to make it lol)

Anyways Angelina jsut has the bad luck that she had the training , yet in Mr & Ms smith , where her arms are less big ...She is great! lol

Sinorice
24th May 2007, 23:39
I chose Karima becuase shes.. well... better looking, in my opinion. They need to put her in a TR movie :) But Angie did pretty dang good.

Lo
25th May 2007, 07:54
Karima is more beautyfull than Angelina
She looks like Lara,she played TR games and she is British.
Angelina is awful, her mouth are bigger than her face and she looks like Michael Jackson daughter.But this is my opinion.
Karima is the best !

I think aesthetic beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder - different features combined appeal to different people. Whereby it is arguably true to state that Angelina Jolie's mouth is unusually large, I don't think this does her any injustice, her lips are pretty trademark and they do seem to suit her.

I happen to like her voluptuous pout on the whole, although in the TR movie shower scene they perhaps looked a little exaggerated in the shot Captain Mazda posted from the side view.

I know a few people however who do think her lips are ugly and have said so publically which is rather cruel as it isn't as though they are enhanced, she was born with them and has turned them to her advantage.

She's not alone. Julia Roberts has a very wide mouth and is reported not to like it. The late Diana Dors once said of herself 'I had piggy eyes and lips like rubber tyres but I knew how to make what I had look good'.

I think one of the reasons some people criticise AJ's lips is because they have a noticable line in the centre of the lower lip and some lip shades she wears (in particular, pale and matt shades), can make her lips look dry and cracked, as I have heard some say. But I find that most red-blooded men love her lips and many women aspire to them ;)

shirl123
25th May 2007, 10:05
that's a tough one. IMO, if there was a "none" option - that'll be my vote. both were/are super with their job(s), there's no doubt about that, but...something...is missing. :confused:

AJ worked really hard on both movies, she took her job very seriously. I'm not sure if it was the script or the director, but the movies turned our beloved character and the series into something that it isn't (plot, attitude, atmosphere, behavior[s], "cheapness", etc), and AJ followed it...because erm...that was her job. that's probably the reason why I didn't enjoy the movies.
I'm trying to imagine what could've come up from the movies if it was actress Kari Wuhrer (for example) and not AJ, it probably wouldn't make much difference (well, at least for me)?

Karima is also taking her job very seriously, but like others said before, we can't say a lot more about her then "a lovely model". as a model, IMO, she doesn't look and/or reflect Lara, but she's still doing a great job.

...after writing this, I think that I'll vote for AJ. she deserves more credit. ;)

LarasBFF
31st May 2007, 19:03
I vote for Angelina! That's my girl!

Bampire
1st Jun 2007, 00:22
I personally think Angelina fits her more. She's got the classic Lara look, for a realistic version.. The other girl seems too much like the Legend version... Angelina just has the spice, she's got the jazz. British or not, she fits her more.. Those natural large beautiful lips, like Lara. She's got that buffed out female frame, like Lara has. She's also got the personality.. But she does act a little more Hollywood.. Either way she fits it more.

To me.

Natla
1st Jun 2007, 12:39
I'm saying Angelina but I have a crush ... :)

vizieress
1st Jun 2007, 16:29
Neither. I'm a die-hard old-school TR fan, and Rhona Mitra always did embody the perfect Lara to me. She was the first ever official TR model, she was authentic English, and she had an attitude to boot. The attitude that was worthy of Lara if she was real, but that which got her fired by EIDOS. You can decide who was to blame. Rhona believed in what she was supposed to be, she was almost the real-life embodiment of Lara, and if you look at her photos, they are pretty convincing.

Personally I wouldn't fire someone who took her role so seriously and performed it so well.

The only other contention would be Lucy Clarkson....everyone else was just some model trying to pull off Lara with guns in her hands. My apologies to K-lovers but Karima just doesn't cut it well enough. Angelina is a great actress and she has the spirit of it, she did a good job, her off-screen life is even almost as humanitarian as Lara's, but I have a teeny problem about her looks...her face isn't quite Lara.