PDA

View Full Version : MISC. Skins

Baldorog
24th Oct 2013, 09:55
I don't know am i the best to speak about skins but i think those skins in store are way too small visual upgrade that why would some one want buy them for real money?

Is there some limitation via game engine or some way related to LOK series or why those skins are so "poorly" designed i mean almost only color change is difference with different skins, like shoulder pads almost flat as pan cake as humans.

My opinion is that you should add more spikes, saw blades or even claws etc. to make those look more "Epic" and players will actually want to buy them.

I asked in game chat few time what others thinks about skins and got mostly answered that few looks nice but most is like meh.

Xaragoth
24th Oct 2013, 10:30
Please no spikes, saw blades or claws that ruin the sleek design of normal armor - at least unless they are fitting. Too many armor sets have been ruined by artists trying to make them look "cool" - and using the means of 8 year olds to do so.

I do however agree with you that a lot of the skins do not seem interesting. Personally I have only seen 3 or so that made me go "Hrm, maybe." None of them are "MUST HAVE THIS RIGHT NAOW."

I suspect however that most of the skins are just placeholder designs for now. We can't even buy any of them, leading me to suspect they are just there to show what they want to add to the store.

Personally I'd like more armor in the direction of the Veteran's Armor or Armor of the Watch. They look suitable medival and have a good vibe. Assassin's Shroud and Dumahim Platemail also seem to have very nice elements right now.

If I had to name good examples from recent games I played, it'd be Gabriel's outfit in Lords of Shadow, the T3 Human Cultural Heavy Armor in GW2 and pretty much any Armor Set from Witcher 1 & 2.

I'd appreciate if we could get all armor sets unlocked during the Alpha to give feedback (when they are ready to be shown). Concept Art to help us give a bit of input what kind of armor we'd buy is also a good way, I feel. After all I think we can all agree that we like Nosgoth a lot and want it to make loads of money. Enough for a pool at least ;)

Zagan-
24th Oct 2013, 13:06
I agree they are not interesting at all. The armor examples from GW2 and Witcher are nice, but "funny" or "goofy" skins are always nice too.

They should just check out some skins from League of Legends or DOTA2 they have so many good skins.

Xaragoth
24th Oct 2013, 13:16
I agree they are not interesting at all. The armor examples from GW2 and Witcher are nice, but "funny" or "goofy" skins are always nice too.

They are however questionable within the Artstyle. For a game like LoL for example, I'd wholeheartedly agree. But for Nosgoth? Not sure. Maybe there's some potential for seasonal holiday skins with a less comical theme?

Psyonix_Eric
24th Oct 2013, 18:29
I suspect however that most of the skins are just placeholder designs for now. We can't even buy any of them, leading me to suspect they are just there to show what they want to add to the store.
Nothing in the game right now is placeholder. That doesn't mean that we couldn't add more skins (and we certainly plan to) down the road but we have nothing in the game right now that is temporary. They look quite different when actually equipped, so maybe we need to better display them in the Store.

We have specifically avoided going too spikey with things because when we tried it the game ended up looking like a typical, cliche, fantasy game with armor that makes no sense.

Xaragoth
24th Oct 2013, 18:36
Nothing in the game right now is placeholder. That doesn't mean that we couldn't add more skins (and we certainly plan to) down the road but we have nothing in the game right now that is temporary. They look quite different when actually equipped, so maybe we need to better display them in the Store.

We have specifically avoided going too spikey with things because when we tried it the game ended up looking like a typical, cliche, fantasy game with armor that makes no sense.

Alright, give us a look at them then maybe? I mean we are in Alpha, you can just wipe it all later. We'd appreciate seeing them in-game if they really look that much better there :)

I like that you avoided spikes. Most of the armor looks reasonable. Just not ... cool? Pretty? Might as you said be the preview. 3D Preview model is best preview ;)

Balantin
24th Oct 2013, 20:28
It would be nice if in one of these play sessions, we got to use the skins that are currently in the game, just for 3 hours to see how they look in game.

NovelEntity
24th Oct 2013, 23:50
I'd suggest that something more recognizable from the LoK Universe as skins would be good later? I mean who wouldn't want to play as a sentinel with the same type of clothing that Raziel wore as a Vampire. I wouldn't go for an exact copy though, it wouldn't fit with the visual style that we have now ( which is awesome, lots of details and it's all very mature and pleasing to the eye ), so basically that older stuff with a more novel look if you know what i'm saying.

NovelEntity
24th Oct 2013, 23:53
It would be nice if in one of these play sessions, we got to use the skins that are currently in the game, just for 3 hours to see how they look in game.
Better yet, the devs could switch skins permanently everytime we have a new game session during this Alpha phase? Maybe? Sounds completely reasonable to me. I'm sure the art teams would be happy to get some more critique from keen eyed players who can appreciate them.

underfox
25th Oct 2013, 00:25
I'd suggest that something more recognizable from the LoK Universe as skins would be good later? I mean who wouldn't want to play as a sentinel with the same type of clothing that Raziel wore as a Vampire. I wouldn't go for an exact copy though, it wouldn't fit with the visual style that we have now ( which is awesome, lots of details and it's all very mature and pleasing to the eye ), so basically that older stuff with a more novel look if you know what i'm saying.

I agree with this, as long as it doesn't really stray to far away from the universe I would love to have a set of vintage LoK armor skins or something like that. Just don't come up with crazy skins like league of legends usualy does. It might works for LoL but I'm pretty sure that the fan of LoK won't apreciate to see a vampire with a bunny costume attacking an human with an halloween costume.

Xaragoth
25th Oct 2013, 07:22
I agree with this, as long as it doesn't really stray to far away from the universe I would love to have a set of vintage LoK armor skins or something like that. Just don't come up with crazy skins like league of legends usualy does. It might works for LoL but I'm pretty sure that the fan of LoK won't apreciate to see a vampire with a bunny costume attacking an human with an halloween costume.

Agreed. Though I'd pay good money for seeing that in a movie.

Novel's suggestion of rotations for the skins might be a good idea. Everyone will use them, so we can probably get a bit of feedback on specific skins each test.

McFunkyJack
25th Oct 2013, 08:49
As a fan of the LoK series I thank you for that :D

Better yet, the devs could switch skins permanently everytime we have a new game session during this Alpha phase? Maybe? Sounds completely reasonable to me. I'm sure the art teams would be happy to get some more critique from keen eyed players who can appreciate them.
I think this idea is good. I mean it's still an alpha, there would be no harm in getting access to the other skins more easily than i the final version so we can better discuss the skins.