PDA

View Full Version : What is this this the end of Tomb Raider games?

Cherry Hardy
2nd Apr 2007, 01:24
Is this the end of Good Tomb Raider games?

Legend was just as bad as Tomb Raider AOD.

Maybe I could forget about AOD if they would have came up with a better story in Legend. All she dose is wonder what happened to her mother what a baby she is. This is so not Lara Croft. I need a better Story in Legend game and it was to easy and too short. What is that all about? I know I would wonder about my mother to but that is all she dose in Legend game. I say throw it out and give us a better story line than this. Or add some more story lines to Legend game.

I will never bring up AOD agin. Lets just face it AOD game is dead.

Ok let me say it like this the whole game in Legend all Lara did was try to find out what happend to her mother, the story to me became boring after a while they need to add more to the story or just throw it out and give a new story.

nateboy2000
2nd Apr 2007, 02:15
i totally agree with you, i was very disappointed when i noticed that i had actually finished legend the day i purchased it. it all true what your saying, but way better than AoD.

aussie500
2nd Apr 2007, 08:38
Is this the end of Good Tomb Raider games?

Legend was just as bad as Tomb Raider AOD.

Maybe I could forget about AOD if they would have came up with a better story in Legend. All she dose is wonder what happened to her mother what a baby she is. This is so not Lara Croft. I need a better Story in Legend game and it was to easy and too short. What is that all about? I know I would wonder about my mother to but that is all she dose in Legend game. I say throw it out and give us a better story line than this. Or add some more story lines to Legend game.

I will never bring up AOD agin. Lets just face it AOD game is dead.

l would have loved AOD if my game had actually worked, l could live with the delay in the controls. The Legend story was fine, do not know what game you were playing since in my game Lara never even found out her Mum was alive till a few minutes before the end, she thought she was dead before that, nothing to wonder about there

Verios
2nd Apr 2007, 09:06
Dont feed the trolls. :scratch:

Coutou
2nd Apr 2007, 09:41
Maybe I could forget about AOD if they would have came up with a better story in Legend. All she dose is wonder what happened to her mother what a baby she is.

Yeah, let's shove you in the Himalayan mountains when you're 9 years old, make your mother vanish into space and time and watch how brave and easily you adapt to it.

Martin C
2nd Apr 2007, 11:38
Yeah, let's shove you in the Himalayan mountains when you're 9 years old, make your mother vanish into space and time and watch how brave and easily you adapt to it.

Well said, the Legend plot actually has some nice touches to it, the plot isn't just about the world being destroyed by an artifact etc. There is a personal motive to Lara's reason for pursuing excalibur and that made more compelled to actually care about her and the game in general. Sure the game was short but by the end of the game I felt that the story is going to get epic in the sequel.

And seriously why do you even care about AOD Cherry Hardy? Plot wise it was pretty thin on the ground, Lara Croft goes goth? Rocker dude Kurtis appears from thin air and hangs around in an insane asylum whilst the controls feel like your piloting a drunk ape? At the time I gave it a shot because I really needed my TR fix but looking back I'd rather have just not bought it and got a real game instead.

If your so desperate for closure on the AOD story please look up some fanfics. Bah my brain cells bleed whilst reading half of these threads.

Martin C x

munchkin
2nd Apr 2007, 11:59
*oh no my Lara wherefore hast thou gone? Oh whyst oh whyst did thoust betrayst mine trust in thee? Mine love forst thee has fled, as i watched thee blede and wyshed forst thou deathe. Thoust Number One Fane hast fled.* :whistle:

Way to miss perspective much? :lmao: in all seriousness, i sometimes wonder when reading these posts if people played the same game i did. i mean sure it wasn't as good as TR2 (what game is, aside from Onimusha 3) but it is easily as entertaining and as much fun in its way as Tr3, TRC and much more fun and more Lara like than AOD.

oh and a btw on one of these threads someone wrote that in TRL Lara didn't do forward rolls ..... Yes she does.... and standing jumps..... again yes she does.... i double double checked last night and she does most things everyone said she could not do. just an aside fyi ;)

TRA is looking amazing, and we would not be getting such a thrilling looking game (inclduing gameplay looks thrilling ) if TRL had not come first and reinvigorated the series :) reading through what those lucky lucky lucky folks like Goran et al have written who have played TRA :nut: to hear CD improved on the TRL emgine, graphics and controls.... makes me soooo happy. I siad from last year TRL is the perfect foundation for Cd to build on and they are already doing so fabulously from what i hear :)

I for one look forward not only to TRA (god a little over a month already :nut: ) but also to TR8 (TRL2?) to see where the story line takes us.

beccaxx

Xmas
2nd Apr 2007, 12:06
I hate this posts :rolleyes: :
"I love Kurtis bring him back please"
"AoD story is perfect, so much better than Legend."

Please! Legend save Tomb Raider saga :thumbsup: !
Legend story is perfect, AoD story is not realistic .
So, I like Legend story ;) .

LisaB1962
2nd Apr 2007, 15:27
(what game is, aside from Onimusha 3)

I see you share my Sam love. :D

At any rate, my problem with Legend's Lara transformation goes back to how women are defined in video games. Lara was a perfectly fine person in the prior games, she just wasn't a touchy-feely girlie type. She was driven by her own desires and played by her own rules.

Why does a video game woman have to have a personal reason to do what they do? Why does she need some emotional motivation? "Oh gee, now I can care about Lara!"

I cared about and admired Lara just fine back when she was a disowned loose cannon "playing for sport." I liked the fact that she chose another life besides the one outlined for her as Lady Croft. I liked the fact that she did what she did for no other reason other than she wanted to and woe to anyone who got in her way. I liked how she didn't have a chip on her shoulder, or some long lost grudge-match to settle. She was truly free.

Now she's different. I suppose she's much more user-friendly to those who like their women to softer and weaker and more predictable because of it, but I will miss the Lara who was free to do as she pleased.

But I agree Legend's story wasn't a problem really.

Rivendell
2nd Apr 2007, 15:50
Legend story is perfect, AoD story is not realistic .
So, I like Legend story ;) .

Lmao! AoD isn't realistic? Neither is.. Tr1,2,3,4,5 nor legend.

Excalibur? Magic energy flying out of swords? Diases that allow the user to see the past and future? To converse across time? To teleport to otherworldly dimensions?

You need to watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5LHHeA7Ofo

:nut:

munchkin
2nd Apr 2007, 15:56
I see you share my Sam love. :D

At any rate, my problem with Legend's Lara transformation goes back to how women are defined in video games. Lara was a perfectly fine person in the prior games, she just wasn't a touchy-feely girlie type. She was driven by her own desires and played by her own rules.

Why does a video game woman have to have a personal reason to do what they do? Why does she need some emotional motivation? "Oh gee, now I can care about Lara!"

I cared about and admired Lara just fine back when she was a disowned loose cannon "playing for sport." I liked the fact that she chose another life besides the one outlined for her as Lady Croft. I liked the fact that she did what she did for no other reason other than she wanted to and woe to anyone who got in her way. I liked how she didn't have a chip on her shoulder, or some long lost grudge-match to settle. She was truly free.

Now she's different. I suppose she's much more user-friendly to those who like their women to softer and weaker and more predictable because of it, but I will miss the Lara who was free to do as she pleased.

But I agree Legend's story wasn't a problem really.

Isn't it odd but i feel very differnetly, i always felt Laras backstory was horribly patronising to women, as if the onyl way they woudl do anything was out of some emotive rebelion response rather than out of a mature choice and decision.

TRL Lara for me is much more strong and really independant becasue she is not still acting out a teenage rebellion..... a much better femal erole model all around. :)

and i say this as a woman of 28 a very independant woman of 28 :)

yes i adore Omnimusha games especially oni 3, not so hot on Oni 4 although it is a good game, its not as good as Oni 3.

not a massive fan of FPS but love Doom (all) and quake (all) anyone recall Heretic and Hexon? (PC) loved them :)

beccaxx

shirl123
2nd Apr 2007, 16:12
I think you missed the point here; it's true that all artifacts & what they cause isn't realistic. but the story between/of the characters in TRL is more ...natural?
for example, it's a lot easier to understand Lara's actions or emotions on TRL then in AOD.

(although I loved the sarcasm in TR1+2+3 and I don't think that there's room for an emotional plot there...)

Xmas
2nd Apr 2007, 16:15

Excalibur? Magic energy flying out of swords? Diases that allow the user to see the past and future? To converse across time? To teleport to otherworldly dimensions?

You need to watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5LHHeA7Ofo

:nut:

Yes of course, and AoD:rolleyes: ?
Nephilim, mutate Boaz, zombies and so on... And this**** ?
Look, Legend is little realistic, but AoD is impossible:mad2: !

LisaB1962
2nd Apr 2007, 16:21
TRL Lara for me is much more strong and really independant becasue she is not still acting out a teenage rebellion..... a much better femal erole model all around. :)

See, I think it's patronizing to assume the only reason Lara chose her life was rebellion, like a woman would never do those things because she enjoyed them and found them liberating. I think she found a life she liked better than the one chosen for her. Although I've also heard theories that her drive isn't rebellion or the more jaded motivation I give her, but trying to get mummy and daddy's attention and prove her worth.

*shrugs* But that was the fun part perhaps. Lara was who you chose her to be. With Legend, well, it's all mapped out for you. ;)

I despised Oni4 and didn't finish playing it. I can't believe they took what started as a survival horror game and cuted it up anime style. *makes gag noises* I'm 0-3 on sequels lately, so I'm really hoping Anniversary delivers.

I hate FPSs, which is probably why I hated Legend's camera so. I'm a third person action/adventure kinda girl.

munchkin
2nd Apr 2007, 17:23
See, I think it's patronizing to assume the only reason Lara chose her life was rebellion, like a woman would never do those things because she enjoyed them and found them liberating. I think she found a life she liked better than the one chosen for her. Although I've also heard theories that her drive isn't rebellion or the more jaded motivation I give her, but trying to get mummy and daddy's attention and prove her worth.

*shrugs* But that was the fun part perhaps. Lara was who you chose her to be. With Legend, well, it's all mapped out for you. ;)

I despised Oni4 and didn't finish playing it. I can't believe they took what started as a survival horror game and cuted it up anime style. *makes gag noises* I'm 0-3 on sequels lately, so I'm really hoping Anniversary delivers.

I hate FPSs, which is probably why I hated Legend's camera so. I'm a third person action/adventure kinda girl.

Ahh well odd how we interpret things differently, i always felt that Cores backstry lacked emotional maturity for Lara, :) /And the rebellion thing was their backstory as far as it wnet although they did keep changing it so its no wonder Lara had an identity crisis in AOD ;)

anyhoo... i agree on Oni 4 i'm still playing it but itis very much on a to play when i've nothing else (which is unlikly ;) ) Have to replay Resi 4 :) and love Eternal Darknes for the Gamecube.... anyhoo going way offtopic (not that the topic is new or interesting of course) back to work

beccaxx

Cherry Hardy
2nd Apr 2007, 20:19
l would have loved AOD if my game had actually worked, l could live with the delay in the controls. The Legend story was fine, do not know what game you were playing since in my game Lara never even found out her Mum was alive till a few minutes before the end, she thought she was dead before that, nothing to wonder about there

Ok let me say it like this the whole game in Legend all Lara did was try to find out what happend to her mother, the story to me became boring after a while they need to add more to the story or just throw it out and give a new story.

Cherry Hardy
2nd Apr 2007, 21:06
Maybe Crystals Dynamics can't make Tomb Raider stories to interest me anymore. Maybe you suck at making Tomb Raider games. Core Eidos was better. If someone like me did not like a story maybe you should add to the story and make that person like it that is what I would try to do if I was a game maker of Tomb Raider games. I love Tomb Raider games and though I will give Crystals Dynamics a chance but I was wrong. They don't care about there fans at all well at lest not me. I guest Tomb Rader is over for me. Game Over.

I am ok with Kurtis never coming back but Legend need more to the story then her only looking for her mom and finding out what happend to her. Legend was too easy and short.

Prove me wrong. Put the animals, traps, puzzles solving, and the long jumps back in Legend (cont.). Let her have a gun inventory like in Tomb Raider Aniverstory. And add more to the story line. Put Ms. Croft back in her Tombs. She dose not need to be in her Tombs all the time but at lest some times. I won’t to be able to maneuver in and out of traps and Obstacles like the good old Tomb Raider Games.

Love what you done to TRA need more off that in Legend game. All though have not played it yet, I think it is going to be really good game.

sophie22
2nd Apr 2007, 21:16
do you ever not complain? i dont think ive seen one positive post from you. PMA miss - positive-mental-attitude- blimey, must be fun round your joint, all doom and gloom:p

Treeble
2nd Apr 2007, 21:21
I've seen this before. Oh, wait a minute:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=630525&postcount=17

munchkin
2nd Apr 2007, 21:29
Maybe Crystals Dynamics can't make Tomb Raider stories to interest me anymore. Maybe you suck at making Tomb Raider games. Core Eidos was better. If someone like me did not like a story maybe you should add to the story and make that person like it that is what I would try to do if I was a game maker of Tomb Raider games. I love Tomb Raider games and though I will give Crystals Dynamics a chance but I was wrong. They don't care about there fans at all well at lest not me. I guest Tomb Rader is over for me. Game Over.

I am ok with Kurtis never coming back but Legend need more to the story then her only looking for her mom and finding out what happend to her. Legend was too easy and short.

Prove me wrong. Put the animals, traps, puzzles solving, and the long jumps back in Legend (cont.). Let her have a gun inventory like in Tomb Raider Aniverstory. And add more to the story line. Put Ms. Croft back in her Tombs. She dose not need to be in her Tombs all the time but at lest some times. I won’t to be able to maneuver in and out of traps and Obstacles like the good old Tomb Raider Games.

Love what you done to TRA need more off that in Legend game. All though have not played it yet, I think it is going to be really good game.

or you could behave maturely for once since you joined and keep these posts all making the same points in the same thread.

that would be novel at least.... even better as all your threads do is complain about legend at least post the multiple tantrums on the LEGEND forum....

:scratch:

Cherry Hardy
2nd Apr 2007, 22:00
I just wont Legend (cont.) to be realy good this time around.

munchkin
2nd Apr 2007, 22:15
I just wont Legend (cont.) to be realy good this time around.

And that merits all these tantrums all over the TR ANNIVERSARY board?

:scratch:

Joshorty
2nd Apr 2007, 22:30
Well another point...someone pointed out from Tomb Raider forums is that they kinda revealed the story too early...

*SPOILERS so don't read below if you know you'ven ever played TR1 before...

They kinda revealed Atlantis too early....I mean like someone said in TRForums, it was cool how we found the story twist to Lara having only search for one Scion and later realized there was 3 and it all lead to the Lost City Of Atlantis...I knnow it's a remake and most of us knows the story already but for those who hasn't...

if only I can link to that thread - I can't explain it any better then what that person did.

I'm still gettin' the game of course.

TanaisRahn
2nd Apr 2007, 23:15

The way I see it is, its a new company, it has too test the waters and see if its way of doing things is going too do well or not.

They accepted a series that had been slowly going down hill, starting with critisim for Lara's mass killing, too the same engine over and over and the dislike of AOD -

They had too see if their way of making a TR game, the new engine, the new less kill everyone lara, like a TV series

Series one: Basic steardy concept
Series two: Change things, try other concepts serious/humour, camera angling, and storylines
Seriies three: encorporate.

The series one would be CORE games 1-5, Series two would be 6 for Core (failed) and now #7, trying new things.
You'll more than likely find TR 8 / 9 improving and implementing other facets of the original series

I.e. Keys :P

LisaB1962
3rd Apr 2007, 00:02
I think you played with the volume down.

There was the whole issue of the dead friend who wound up being alive.

Personally, if you want great story, you're in the wrong series. Tomb Raider has never been a "plot" game (with the exception of AOD and look what happened there.)

I would recommend Beyond Good and Evil, the Onimusha series, God of War for strong plot. Although I haven't played it, my son tells me the Jak and Daxter series has a strong plot.

aussie500
3rd Apr 2007, 01:22

That is your interpretation, since she thought her mother was dead why would she be trying to find out what happened to her? She wanted to find more of the artefacts that killed her mother, for her own reasons possibly, since it seemed she had no intention of killing herself by taking the sword out of the dais. If you look at the other games Lara has always collected these powerful artefacts and either destroyed them, brought them home to add to her collection, or in one case l can remember actually used the artefact as it was intended to be used, after she made the mistake of stealing something that was there to protect the world (Tomb Raider 4).

The only difference this time is we were given more story to go with the artefact collecting, and more hints as to where the story would lead in the continuation, we were able to understand Lara's decisions a bit better. But we still do not know why she collects Atlantean artefacts, only that she saw her first when her mother "died" and became obsessed with collecting them, and that her father was also interested in Atlantis, although he wanted them to prove his Atlantean theory. Lara if the other games have already occurred as seems indicated by the bio should have enough to validate her fathers work if that was her intention, the Dagger of Xian, the Scion fragments, and all the other artifacts she has, would surely be enough to prove Atlantis was an advanced civilisation that existed before all others, and influenced many early cultures.

She now has added Excalibur to her collection, but contrary to Alister's desires l am sure it will go no where near those stodgy academics he so wants to impress, when Lara finishes with it it will end up in that secret trophy room of hers, same as everything else that was small enough for her to carry, or in some cases she obviously called in the removalist to get it home (dinosaur head, might have been a bit big for the backpack) l am hoping to see the trophy room in Anniversary and/or Tomb Raider 8, it will be interesting to see exactly what Miss Croft has in it whether it be 1996 or 2007 preferably the later so we can see if the dagger and Iris are in the collection. Since Anniversary is a past adventure it would be nice if we could actually unlock the present day mansion and go on a trophy room hunt :)

aussie500
3rd Apr 2007, 01:44

What does

Put the animals, traps, puzzles solving, and the long jumps back in Legend
Have to do with story? There was plenty of story in Legend, obviously your mind was to closed to see it, or it was just to complex for you to grasp. There were plenty of Tombs in Legend, they just did not have as many traps as the ones Lara usually raids, obviously you have no idea what a Tomb actually is :p

rabid metro
3rd Apr 2007, 02:18
Maybe Crystals Dynamics can't make Tomb Raider stories to interest me anymore.
They don't care about there fans at all well at lest not me. I guest Tomb Rader is over for me. Game Over.
Prove me wrong...

... sadly, ... you are right.
i'm gonna miss your daily threads around here.
say hello to kurtis for me.
stay warm.

Martin C
3rd Apr 2007, 02:30
I love Tomb Raider games and though I will give Crystals Dynamics a chance but I was wrong. They don't care about there fans at all well at lest not me. I guest Tomb Rader is over for me. Game Over.

Don't let the door hit you on your way out :rasp:

Martin C x

Rogue5
3rd Apr 2007, 08:22
I thought this site was for TR Anniversary! ;)

Gamerking
4th Apr 2007, 00:33
Jesus, let me just come up with an ending for you...

Uh....Lara learns how to fly so she flies to Alaska and is never seen again....:confused:

tombraider123
4th Apr 2007, 14:41
What was AOD the only tombraider game i have played is legend so i dont know mush about this stuff! help:)
thanks, tombraider123:confused:

Kipros
11th Apr 2007, 18:09
Legend was so disappointing and I think Crystal Dynamics really screwed up! The game is WAY too short and there were hardly any creatures to kill! You have to follow a set route and you aren't free to wonder where you like!

It's so frustrating when everyone is like "oh legend is amazing" blah blah blah it's really NOT. :mad2: It's so overated, just because the graphics are great. What about the controls!? The old controls were fine! I don't see what everyone sees in Legend. Sure the plot is ok but the actual game is a let down.

I wish Core did Legend. It would have been so much better :)

I also really liked AoD and if anyone says it's 'unrealistic' then they really are stupid: LIKE ANY OF THE GAMES ARE REALISTIC! That's the whole point. Yeh, the controls may have been bad but the plot was excellent and I'm sure if Core were given a chance they could have sorted it all out :thumbsup:

If Anniversary is rubbish then I think that'll be it with me and Tomb Raider. God, what a screwed up world Tomb Raider's in atm. :nut:

Headache
11th Apr 2007, 19:06
Ugh. -_-;

Legend was so disappointing and I think Crystal Dynamics really screwed up! The game is WAY too short and there were hardly any creatures to kill! You have to follow a set route and you aren't free to wonder where you like!

It's so frustrating when everyone is like "oh legend is amazing" blah blah blah it's really NOT. :mad2: It's so overated, just because the graphics are great. What about the controls!? The old controls were fine! I don't see what everyone sees in Legend. Sure the plot is ok but the actual game is a let down.
I think Legend was great; everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I also really liked AoD and if anyone says it's 'unrealistic' then they really are stupid: LIKE ANY OF THE GAMES ARE REALISTIC! That's the whole point. Yeh, the controls may have been bad but the plot was excellent and I'm sure if Core were given a chance they could have sorted it all out :thumbsup:
AoD sucked; again everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
And it depends on what they mean by 'unrealistic'... Example, graphics. They didn't make Lara look real etc...
Need I go on? And that does not make anyone stupid.

We all just have different points of view, so I suggest you respect that.

Kipros
19th Apr 2007, 17:54
And it depends on what they mean by 'unrealistic'... Example, graphics. They didn't make Lara look real etc...

I didn't mean graphics I ment the story line :P They didn't make Lara look realistic in AoD?? Are you kidding?! She looked a WHOLE lot better in AoD than in TR1-5 :/

Yes of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion! I posted that because that is MY OPINION.

Meh.

:]

chipfryer
30th Apr 2007, 19:02
:mad2: I think everyone is missing the point here? For me there never has been some mysterious story behind what you were trying to achieve although presenters gave us one. It's the game, the puzzles, the graphics and more that make it.

I just like finding myself somewhere new when I've managed to kick the heck out of some beast. That's my one true love of TR. You can place as many flimsy story lines along the plot but it will never make a good read no matter what you try. Make the game good, intuitive, fun to play and stuff the serious stuff there is enough on TV daily.

Best.

PS. One day completion I've heard so often. A few hours perhaps less. Please get real. Some yes but not that many without help. Long Live TR. :mad2:

wildchildajx18
3rd May 2007, 03:39
I dont get why people didnt like legend but there bowing down for AOD. If i recall Legend was one of the best tomb raider games.
And AOD was the worst :scratch:

Lo
3rd May 2007, 11:25
It will always be largely dependant on what the Tomb Raider game actually represents to gamers as to how they rate each game of the series.

If people like the storyline then they are likely to be disappointed from time to time. For those who enjoy the adventure and exploration then they may be dissastisfied with the difficult challenges in some of the games.

I loved AOD for it's sense of adventure but found Legend a little disappointing in that the perimetres for exploration were a little limited in some areas (those I have played so far).

I'm not really bothered about the graphics if the improvement of them takes something away from the gaming quality. I'm just as happy to play TR1 as I am to play a newer TR game. It's all about exploring exciting new locations for me :)

Phlip
3rd May 2007, 11:46
AOD ending was the best IMO.

I really dislike cliffhangers http://forums.eidosgames.com/images/icons/icon13.gif

Treeble
3rd May 2007, 15:06
Then you didn't like AOD's ending either.

aussie500
5th May 2007, 03:50
The ending of AOD was not a cliffhanger though, story was fairly complete, and Lara did not seem to worried about where Kurtis vanished to

Treeble
5th May 2007, 09:34
Then I guess all the petitions for AOD continuations have just become a tad pointless... ;)

TouchOfPink
11th May 2007, 20:17

Totally AGREE