PDA

View Full Version : March 28, 2007 Download Content issue thread

chip5541
28th Mar 2007, 23:09
I have noticed that some people are having issues with the currant (March 28, 2007) additional content for the 360. Please list the issues you are experiencing. This will help with determining what the issues are and will help expedite a fix.

(Talk of a way of causing financial harm is not permitted and will be removed. I understand that many people are upset and trust me when I say I am in the same boat.)

andy3536
28th Mar 2007, 23:22
I'm not so sure you had real justification to lock the thread on this in the genral discussion forum.
There was only 1 referance to a 'boycot' and surly in your wisdom you could have done some intresting editing to make it sound like he was just talking about how good brokeback mountain was!

LORD BLACKFIRE
28th Mar 2007, 23:35
It's all about PR damage control. Check the thread count in the general discussion area compared to this one (or even the PC forum) and it should be obvious. Go to the back of the bus 360 dlc customers.

dbullsfn
28th Mar 2007, 23:53
Just curious, has everyone enabled the pack on the download content option at the main menu?

xgamerms999
29th Mar 2007, 00:16
Just curious, has everyone enabled the pack on the download content option at the main menu?

If this turns out to be the reason, tell everybody when ur online!! Anyways, hope to see you all online!!

fahey
29th Mar 2007, 00:34
I do seem to get lose my connection an awful lot during online matches with the new map.

LORD BLACKFIRE
29th Mar 2007, 01:31
Okay, here's the real glitch data:

I've tried 4 different matches on the multiplayer map
1. all in different rooms
2. 1 match at 2 on 2
3. 1 match at 3 on 3
4. 2 matches at 4 on 4
5. all crashed

A. Two matches crashed during loading and it was a "hard crash" - the kind where you have to get up and restart your 360. If it helps, the loading bar was just past the half-way point, at the right edge of the U.S. flag.

B. One match lasted maybe 2 minutes. I was controlling the subs and had laid in courses for them and launched PT boats from the hangers. I had just gotten the "enemy ship sighted Sir!" message and then "connection lost". It was a "soft crash" that took me back to the menu screen.

C. The 1st match I played (it was the 3 on 3) I was the Japs and as soon as we came out of loading I watched 2 American players drop immediately and 1 of the Jap players drop. All were back to back with no communication from them. The host was left alone and pulled the plug himself.

Each time I entered a room I heard people talking about getting dropped and crashing. Nobody I heard said they'd finished a game. I asked in one room if they had and everyone said "NO!".

And by the way, I played Coral Sea in between match attempts 3 and 4 with no problems.

LORD BLACKFIRE
29th Mar 2007, 01:44
This person already tested your idea for a fix. It didn't work:

I've tried 8 times to play it. I even deleted the first DL and reDLed it and still locksup ~2min into the game. I tried shutting my computer off to give my 360 the entire connection and it locked up even faster!

Funny thing is my two playing buddies, Awesome and Mortal haven't had a single problem playing the map.

Hope they get it fixed soon as this map has an excellent assortment of combat units.

I've tried 1 v 1 4 times and 3 v 3 the other 4 times.

But then his friend says:

yes, this sucks! Awesome and I, between the two of us, have played 10-14 matches, and haven't been booted a single time

I don't understand how the problem can be so selective

These two quotes were taken from Xbox.com's Battlestations: Midway forum at this link:
http://forums.xbox.com/11244464/ShowPost.aspx

cloroxmartini
29th Mar 2007, 01:57
I have noticed that some people are having issues with the currant (March 28, 2007) additional content for the 360. Please list the issues you are experiencing. This will help with determining what the issues are and will help expedite a fix.

(Talk of a way of causing financial harm is not permitted and will be removed. I understand that many people are upset and trust me when I say I am in the same boat.)

Set up a room with another 360 in the same house, only us. It crashes (where you have to restart the 360) almost exactly at the same amount of time in, say 3 minutes after launch, 2 times in a row.

This happened on the host 360. Between the 2 rounds, the other 360 locked on load up and had to restart the 360.

percyg77
29th Mar 2007, 02:00

I enabled it. The game still locks up on me.

cloroxmartini
29th Mar 2007, 02:18
I enabled it. The game still locks up on me.

So I set up a room with the other 360 and then this box locks up on load up. 3 out of 3 and the map fails to work as advertised. I am not a kid and am very active with this game and generally play some very good games, yes, dropped once in a while, but tolerable. This paid for download is intolerable and entirely unacceptable.

ShepDeeZee
29th Mar 2007, 03:11
So far i have tired about 6-7 games with the new multiplayer map. The first two times it locked up at the loading screen. After that about 2-3 minutes into the game it locks up. Almost like there is to much going on or something. I dont know. It just really sucks because i love this game and really hope it doesnt die. I'm afraid after this it will though.

Shep

MindlessMuppet
29th Mar 2007, 07:50
Single player mission works fine, but I am 10 for 10 times having my Xbox 360 freeze a few minutes into a multi-player match w/ the new content. I didn't noticed any specific time frame for freezing when it happened, but it always occurred within 4 minutes at random time intervals from what I could tell. Hope this helps for a quick fix. :)

FreeloaderUK
29th Mar 2007, 08:19
ive managed to complete a couple of matches- but a couple of times the game either crashed or would load & said connection lost- maybe not everyone has enabled the content

Keir
29th Mar 2007, 10:37
Thanks for the details guys. I'm forwarding this on to the devs :thumbsup:

I hope to be back with a response soon.

Shamrock
29th Mar 2007, 10:57

Yes I enabled it. Question is why is that even there? It should be enabled right off the bat as its just confusing to people who buy the content. There was no message anywhere that I needed to go to the main menu to enable it and it was just by luck I checked there after I couldn't join any servers that had that map on. What we be the purpose to disabling it? As you can still join older maps whether its on or off.

Kral Nevil
29th Mar 2007, 12:34
...same problems all around It looks like...what I want to know is, what's being done about it?

Rabidflyer
29th Mar 2007, 13:18
So far have not been able to complete a battle of sibuyan sea map as it either locks up on the loading screen or within a few minutes of map starting.

Evil Crouton
29th Mar 2007, 14:36
I have tried playing the new multiplayer map at least 6 times. Every time at least 3 people have their xboxes lock up in the first few minutes. They are friends and they didn't simply lose connection, their xboxes froze completely. It seems to be the same people who initially freeze each time I tried playing with that group. Just as the planes begin to make first contact the same two people would freeze up. Followed by at least 1, usually 2, more people freezing about 30 seconds later. I can technically play the rest of the game out but even with a room full of friends who I know are not leaving, the game rarely has more than 3 people remaining after 5 minutes or so.

jchapa
29th Mar 2007, 14:45
I hosted 2 matches with the new online map and both times I lost 4 or 5 people while playing. I've never had that many people drop on a map.

Joyousguard
29th Mar 2007, 17:08
If i might make a few suggestions as to how to improve this game. First and foremost the down side of this game is definetely the fact that the same strategy or a very small variation thereof is generally needed to be employed to be victorious on every map. Each side, on most maps, must move in a very specific manner in order to gain victory. This diminishes the replayability because there is no real depth to the strategy other than repetion and ensuring your team mates follow their set pattern. Ultimately some of the battles are won or lost due small deficiencies in tactics and aiming rather than the preset startegy. I would suggest the option of positioning ones fleet prior to the beginning of the game or prior to the start of the match in a conversation with your team. Perhaps the ability to change the locations of your aitfields and ship yards to a certain extent would increase replayability, the fog of war and in general simply the unknow. It would be much more entertaining to not know where the enemy airfields and ship yard are prior to each and every game, forcing teams to startegize during the battle and not prior.
Alos it would be beneficial if there was the ability to have more shipyards on more maps, the ability to create more ships would off set the fact that there are subsatantially less ships involved in the theater of conflict than in historical records. Allow each side more freedom to determine what they will produce and form their fleets with. Perhaps a shipyard would only allow the production of one iowa class battleship, but 2 reknowns or 4 fletchers. Some method of limitation but with enough freedom to allow diversity and more challenges in battles that would become more dynamic and truly 3 dimensional. in reality many fleets had to deal with the fact that they were out gunned or outclassed but with the freedom to form of fleet of 4 fletchers allows a team to succeed spectaculalry with a blitzkrieg raid or fail impressively when they run into battleships. The ability to produce ones own fleets gives way to greater degree of thought that must go into offense and defense as opposed to use what your give. There is only so many ways four battleships and about 10 smaller vessels can fight it out, but how about 2 iowa class battleships versus 10 fubukis.

More freedom, means greater repayability and greater advancement of strategy and tactics rather than the same old scenario with just a new color paint.

intrepid_soul
29th Mar 2007, 18:32
I need to make some clarifications to some pretty inaccurate information that is being passed around on the forums.

1. The process for Downloadable content is the same as a full version release. First it is created, then tested, then revised based on bug reports and retested again. Our QA team work long and hard to ensure the final product is as clean as possible. It is then submitted to 1st party, in this case Microsoft, who has a team of people who's job it is to find major issues. Microsoft will pass or fail a game/downloadable content for manufacturing. If a product fails the developers must address the issues and fix them. The product is then widely released.

What this means to you: It means the issue you are seeing was not seen in QA, nor by Microsoft. The proper people have been notified and it is being checked into.

2. Everyone is having issue? I have only recieved one phone call, and one email on this issue through proper support channels., even with my direct phone number posted on the forums that brings my total contact to 3. If you are reading this and the DLC worked for you, PM me, and post that information here. I would expect contacts to be up for a wide spread issue.

Unfortunatly I am usually at the end of the information trail, and I get most of my news from these forums (you would think I would have inside connections). As soon as I hear a solution has been found I will post a new article on my support site: support.eidosinteractive.com.

Joyousguard
29th Mar 2007, 18:57
The new map did work for me but only when there were 6 players or fewer in the room, and i was also on the host's team. Whenever 7 to 8 join it would start booting the opposite non-host team out one by one until the game would end for lack of a team to play.

andy3536
29th Mar 2007, 18:58
I need to make some clarifications to some pretty inaccurate information that is being passed around on the forums.

1. The process for Downloadable content is the same as a full version release. First it is created, then tested, then revised based on bug reports and retested again. Our QA team work long and hard to ensure the final product is as clean as possible. It is then submitted to 1st party, in this case Microsoft, who has a team of people who's job it is to find major issues. Microsoft will pass or fail a game/downloadable content for manufacturing. If a product fails the developers must address the issues and fix them. The product is then widely released.

What this means to you: It means the issue you are seeing was not seen in QA, nor by Microsoft. The proper people have been notified and it is being checked into.

2. Everyone is having issue? I have only recieved one phone call, and one email on this issue through proper support channels., even with my direct phone number posted on the forums that brings my total contact to 3. If you are reading this and the DLC worked for you, PM me, and post that information here. I would expect contacts to be up for a wide spread issue.

Unfortunatly I am usually at the end of the information trail, and I get most of my news from these forums (you would think I would have inside connections). As soon as I hear a solution has been found I will post a new article on my support site: support.eidosinteractive.com.

On step 1 must do better.

On step 2 most people are using this forum and xbox forums to get thier message accross.
your number? where's that! I havn't seen that post, and from what country are you expecting phone calls from? Why not make it a sticky at the top of the genral discussion forum.

http://forums.xbox.com/11276799/ShowPost.aspx
http://forums.xbox.com/11275861/ShowPost.aspx
http://forums.xbox.com/11251025/ShowPost.aspx
http://forums.xbox.com/11260839/ShowPost.aspx
http://forums.xbox.com/11249729/ShowPost.aspx
http://forums.xbox.com/1/11236353/ShowPost.aspx#11236353
http://forums.xbox.com/11238918/ShowPost.aspx
http://forums.xbox.com/11284660/ShowPost.aspx
The information is there if you look.

The fact that you are questioning if many have an issue is insulting to many of your customers.
You have sold content that is not working for the vast majority (only on occasion at best) and your post looks like you are trying to aviod any liability.
It might be an idea to play the new content from a normal game disc and a normal 360 so you understand the issues many are having.
Sorry for the nature of my post but your phrase " Everyone is having issue?" (it's the question mark that does it) really annoys me.

Joyousguard
29th Mar 2007, 19:02
playing on live last night, almost everyone i came into conatct with had this same issue. It might just happen that no one is posting their complaints in forums, all that is neccessary to hear these issues is to join a room and talk with the guys in it.

Henry22
29th Mar 2007, 21:11
I havent played a complete mission yet, it either freezes while loading and this happens on no other map and I have heard of others with this problem or I get into the game and get all my units launched and it boots me between the 2nd and 3rd minute of play. I want my points back.

ElvisNewton
29th Mar 2007, 21:20
I just downloaded this last night & am having the exact same problems everyone here is talking about & so is everyone I've talked to about it online. Only 1 person out of 10-15 people I talked to said they'd actually played a game on this map as if they'd gotten to play the whole thing through. He was in UK if that makes a diff. Everyone else was having the problem in the game or was saying that it didn't work for them in the lobby. I dunno how many know of this forum & I'd guess none have called tech support.

1st thing I did after downloading was go to downloadable content, & set the "iowa" pack to enabled.
After that I played the Truk level a couple of times & beat it, w/ no problems.
After that I went to xbox live, player match, joined a room on the new multiplayer map & it froze on me while loading the very 1st time(xbox froze @ about the 70-75% mark, which btw is the point in the loadup that seems to take the longest during loadup, even when it doesn't crash on loadup).

I tried about 6 or 7 games total w/ 8,6,5,4, or 2 players w/ the same person as host each time, except for the 1st time when it froze on loadup, & the next to last time when I tried hosting & it froze as well. I've given up on this map for now, needless to say.

1 time it froze right after setting a mini sub to attack the nearest battleship while using the map interface. Come to think of it, it might have happened other times I set 1 unit to attack another, but that's such a natural thing to do in the game that you wouldn't really notice it that that's the thing you did that froze the game up, but now that I think of it, it always freezes my xbox up at about the time I start sending units out to attack... there's time to launch units & put them in formation, etc, but I never got a chance to see one unit attacking another.
I played the japanese air/sub bases in each game btw.

When I froze up, I don't think the host froze up, he just saw people dropping out until noone's left & I'd get an invite as soon as I'd signed in, although it did freeze the one time I hosted.

I have 10.6GB remaining on my hard drive, w/ a cable modem connection(not dsl) btw.

This game does tend to freeze up about 3 or 4 times more often than ghost recon advanced warfighter(1st one).

btw, on the map screen, why is the US map shown roughly what it looked like in1840 & not 1940? wtf?

Any extra Microsoft Points out there for us beta testers? ;)

Nautical N00b
29th Mar 2007, 22:34

Firstly you have a very patronising tone which is not welcome!
Where are uk residence supposed to complain?
I to am qiute annoyed by your post but instead of writing out a list why i will just motion you to andy's post.
My friend has dlc, he said he tried it 5 times. 4 times it froze loading and the other it froze about a minute in, inaccurate info?
Must do better!
And i was so close to buying myself a copy when i had to return the one i borrowed.

On step 1 must do better.

On step 2 most people are using this forum and xbox forums to get thier message accross.
your number? where's that! I havn't seen that post, and from what country are you expecting phone calls from? Why not make it a sticky at the top of the genral discussion forum.

http://forums.xbox.com/11276799/ShowPost.aspx
http://forums.xbox.com/11275861/ShowPost.aspx
http://forums.xbox.com/11251025/ShowPost.aspx
http://forums.xbox.com/11260839/ShowPost.aspx
http://forums.xbox.com/11249729/ShowPost.aspx
http://forums.xbox.com/1/11236353/ShowPost.aspx#11236353
http://forums.xbox.com/11238918/ShowPost.aspx
http://forums.xbox.com/11284660/ShowPost.aspx
The information is there if you look.

The fact that you are questioning if many have an issue is insulting to many of your customers.
You have sold content that is not working for the vast majority (only on occasion at best) and your post looks like you are trying to aviod any liability.
It might be an idea to play the new content from a normal game disc and a normal 360 so you understand the issues many are having.
Sorry for the nature of my post but your phrase " Everyone is having issue?" (it's the question mark that does it) really annoys me.

cloroxmartini
30th Mar 2007, 00:07
Call Xbox live and get your 400 points back. Then when it's fixed, you can get it again. That's what I did.

Swaingh
30th Mar 2007, 00:47

Just downloaded the Iowa content last night and neither I nor my buddy could play a game for more than 5 min before my 360 froze. Happened multiple times. Makes the new DLC worthless for me since I paid for it, but am not able to play it at all. Very frustrating/disappointing. Believe me when I say there are more than 3 people with this problem. Check the XBOX forums too. Other than the frequent "lost connections", I still think this is one of the best games out there.

Shamrock
30th Mar 2007, 01:34

How about you people at Edios download it yourself and try playing games. Honestly the best way to determine if there is a problem is to test it yourself. Personaly I've locked up everytime I've played it online which is about 10 times in a row. All in the first two minutes.

Brolan
30th Mar 2007, 01:35
Having huge problems with DLC. Locks up my 360 2-3 minutes into the new mulitplayer map every time I try to play.

Add that to waiting 2 months for the PC patch so LAN games will finally work, Eidos is not exactly impressing me. I'm going to avoid their games in the future.

truckman
30th Mar 2007, 01:43
I was having the same problems everyone here was having...I have an HDTV and my settings were @ 1080i...and it crashed every time at least 15 times the longest the game lasted was 4:53(yes I used a kitchen timer after 5 lock ups)...changed by display settings to 720P and have played 3 games in row from start to finish...plan on playing at least one more tonight and I think I might have mine "fixed"...

Brolan
30th Mar 2007, 02:23
I was having the same problems everyone here was having...I have an HDTV and my settings were @ 1080i...and it crashed every time at least 15 times the longest the game lasted was 4:53(yes I used a kitchen timer after 5 lock ups)...changed by display settings to 720P and have played 3 games in row from start to finish...plan on playing at least one more tonight and I think I might have mine "fixed"...

Damn! Good Job! This fixed my crashes too! Spread the word!

Atomic_Tiki
30th Mar 2007, 02:25
Only reason I joined this forum was to post this. I agree in wondering at the tone in the "official" reply. Ive tried 6 times, each time I asked "has anyone finished a game?" the answer from all was ............. No.

So in those games I figure Ive talked to around 50 people, so I would say theres a problem. As for the single mission they put out with it? a joke, easy, too short.

cloroxmartini
30th Mar 2007, 02:32

Hmmm...let's see...*pulls out original box and turns it to the backside*...HDTV 720p, yup, there it is!..oh, wait...hold on a sec...there's a slash after the 720p...and some other stuff...looks like this: "/1080i/1080p"...anyone else have that bit of info on the back of their box?

But you know what, I'm going to give it a try, pull the resolution back from 1080p to 720p (720p is NOT my fave), just to see if it works. I'll keep you posted.

boza74
30th Mar 2007, 03:17
Hmmm...let's see...*pulls out original box and turns it to the backside*...HDTV 720p, yup, there it is!..oh, wait...hold on a sec...there's a slash after the 720p...and some other stuff...looks like this: "/1080i/1080p"...anyone else have that bit of info on the back of their box?

But you know what, I'm going to give it a try, pull the resolution back from 1080p to 720p (720p is NOT my fave), just to see if it works. I'll keep you posted.

Nope did not work for me. That makes 17 out of 17 times my game locked up on me,

Brolan
30th Mar 2007, 03:21
Nope did not work for me. That makes 17 out of 17 times my game locked up on me,

The other suggestion I would have is delete and re-download the content.

cloroxmartini
30th Mar 2007, 04:40

Re-downloaded and it works like a charm on 720p. Now it's akin to having what you thought was a v8 and only getting a v6, but it still gets you there. Having to go out every time to switch back to 1080p to play GRAW2 is a batch, though. Shouldn't be that way. This thing is still flawed.

truckman
30th Mar 2007, 04:45
Also forgot to mention that I did delete and re-download this afternoon...played three more games tonight and no problems...I do no think this is a fix but more of a duck tape solution...also told three other guys to do it and it "fixed" them also...

chip5541
30th Mar 2007, 06:27
Great job truckman! :thumbsup: I sent off a message to have that looked into.

FreeloaderUK
30th Mar 2007, 09:27
look this issue is certainly not 'minor'.

fact is the new online map either freezes up, connection gets lost or u cant play a single game without atleast 1 or more players dropping- & usually its as soon as u enter the game it says that a certain player has left the game (i assume its because their console froze or they had a connection lost message)

the map is a really good map to play- ive managed to complete numerous games BUT also more games have been ruined by lost connections, freezes & a load of players dropping.

sure u get the odd lockup on the other maps & every now & again players will drop (usually if their losing)- but the Sibuyan sea map seems to multiply these issues by a factor of 10.

obviously the DLC hasnt been tested properly otherwise these issues would have been forseen. maybe if the testers used standard issue retail Xbox 360s along with retail copies of the game & marketplace versions of the DLC (& even run of the mill ISPs & modems) the problems would have been uncovered.

the idea of testing a game & its content should be done in the environment in which a consumer would play the game- not an artificial environment of the developers where everyone has identical test consoles, developement versions of the games & software & identical modems etc

chip5541
30th Mar 2007, 09:38
Don't forget that Microsoft also tests the content before releasing it and if it doesnt pass muster then it goes back to the devs.

zenbob
30th Mar 2007, 10:32
Just played my first match with new map and works on 720p. Hopefuly it will work on 1080i with new patch.

LORD BLACKFIRE
30th Mar 2007, 13:13
420p worked for me. 720p did not work for my friend.

My set only does 1080i widescreen (where it has been during every crash) or 420p normal. I can't test 720p on my set. I tested 420p this AM and I actually played about 40 minutes on the new map before I had to leave for work. I saw one person drop moments after a match of 3 on 3 started but I had no problems at 420p.

I have a friend over in England who tried 720p and he says it did NOT fix his problem.

NOTE: I only tested this once. Maybe it was a fluke that I wasn't dropped and it working at 420p was a coincidence. I'll test this more tonight and this weekend.

SPECIAL NOTE TO EIDOS: If this does turn out to be the problem, quit being cheap and buy your playtesters some HDTV's now that you know game crashing bugs exist in that area of the hardware/software as well.

ElvisNewton
30th Mar 2007, 17:56
Is the "fix" of changing your HDTV to 720p performed by setting ur xbox 360 for 720p output, or by going thru the varios menus on your HDTV & setting it there?

andy3536
30th Mar 2007, 18:01
Is the "fix" of changing your HDTV to 720p performed by setting ur xbox 360 for 720p output, or by going thru the varios menus on your HDTV & setting it there?

The 'bodge' is by changing your 360 output to 720p or lower.

Vince Vega
30th Mar 2007, 18:19
The 360 doesn't output 1080p, so whoever was complaining about that should probably take another look. The only forms of entertainment that can even output 1080p to this point are Blu-Ray and HD-DVD... of which the 360 does not have a drive for (Unless you buy the extra attachment,though that's only for movies).

So, that being said, 1080i is virtually the same as 720p, and arguably worse for fast paced games. Battlestations isn't what i'd consider a "fast-paced game" but the difference is still negligible. 1080i is what most would consider "540p", as it's only running that many lines of code with each "pass".

countrytom
30th Mar 2007, 18:54
Changing Xbox resolution in system controls to 720p is a winner for me! It works so well, I just played about 7 in a row with no problems at all. In fact, the host wouldn't launch until all 8 people had done the same thing. We played together as group of 8 until someone had to go somewhere.

It is a backdoor fix, but at least it works.

And guys, you whine when Eidos isn't around (I did too), but you whine louder when they show up?

Give it a rest. ****

andy3536
30th Mar 2007, 18:57
Changing Xbox resolution in system controls to 720p is a winner for me! It works so well, I just played about 7 in a row with no problems at all. In fact, the host wouldn't launch until all 8 people had done the same thing. We played together as group of 8 until someone had to go somewhere.

And guys, you whine when Eidos isn't around (I did too), but you whine louder when they show up?

Give it a rest. ****

If you never complain they will never know anything is wrong!
And they wouldn't be working on this patch.

Vince Vega
30th Mar 2007, 19:01

Give it a rest. ****

Some people don't have progressive-scan TV's, and thus don't have the advantage of simply switching from 1080i to 720p (Virtually the same visually).

Like Andy for instance, I believe is going to have to go all the way down to 480i, which is a pretty big difference.

countrytom
30th Mar 2007, 19:02
If you never complain they will never know anything is wrong!
And they wouldn't be working on this patch.

Which is why I'm saying it's time to stop complaining... they're obviously listening.

andy3536
30th Mar 2007, 19:14
Which is why I'm saying it's time to stop complaining... they're obviously listening.

Fair piont, for the moment.
Provided things still move along like this i feel alot more optimistic.

countrytom
30th Mar 2007, 19:25
Some people don't have progressive-scan TV's, and thus don't have the advantage of simply switching from 1080i to 720p (Virtually the same visually).

Like Andy for instance, I believe is going to have to go all the way down to 480i, which is a pretty big difference.

It does suck for those who can't run 720. Agreed. I'm hoping Eidos is working on a fix. After all, I'd rather not have to keep switching my settings back and forth just for BSM, and for poor souls like andy it is a real difference.

LORD BLACKFIRE
30th Mar 2007, 19:58
Perhaps Eidos will be sending a check in the mail to us all for work done as playtesters. :rolleyes:

I'm just glad I'll be able to play this map tonight with my friends. I also wonder if this might not also fix some of the other drops on other maps (like Coral Sea) that we've attributed to lag.

Vince Vega
30th Mar 2007, 20:23
Early word is that it helps, Blackfire. People who were having problems with dropping games, have seen dramatic reduction. Funny thing is, it says on the box "720p"... you'd think we all would have figured this out, though I suppose it really doesn't make sense. All I can figure is that if the game is 720p native, your Xbox would actually have to interlace the picture in order to put it out to you television... actually a fairly inefficient process (Though not as ineffcient as deinterlacing)... not the point though.

My point is, that the Xbox could be having trouble with doing all this at once.

In the future I'd reccomend setting your 360 to whatever the game claims to have as a native resolution... Not only will this get a better picture, but could avoid things like this in the future.

andy3536
30th Mar 2007, 21:09
Early word is that it helps, Blackfire. People who were having problems with dropping games, have seen dramatic reduction. Funny thing is, it says on the box "720p"... you'd think we all would have figured this out, though I suppose it really doesn't make sense. All I can figure is that if the game is 720p native, your Xbox would actually have to interlace the picture in order to put it out to you television... actually a fairly inefficient process (Though not as ineffcient as deinterlacing)... not the point though.

In the future I'd reccomend setting your 360 to whatever the game claims to have as a native resolution... Not only will this get a better picture, but could avoid things like this in the future.

My box says " hdtv 480p/720p/1080i"
You might want to look again, it is sold as working with 1080i and must at some piont soon run with it.

Vince Vega
30th Mar 2007, 21:27
My box says " hdtv 480p/720p/1080i"
You might want to look again, it is sold as working with 1080i and must at some piont soon run with it.
Oh ok... I hadn't actually looked at it, I was just going by what someone else said. You can tell that it's supposed to work with it, as most of the maps work fine... I think it's just all the processes going on within the 360, upscaling, drawing maps from Hard drive, playing the game... so on and so forth, and it just craps out. That is my final hypothesis.... HA!:rasp:

Evil Crouton
30th Mar 2007, 22:30
Funny thing is, it says on the box "720p"... you'd think we all would have figured this out, though I suppose it really doesn't make sense. All I can figure is that if the game is 720p native, your Xbox would actually have to interlace the picture in order to put it out to you television... actually a fairly inefficient process (Though not as ineffcient as deinterlacing)... not the point though.

Virtually all Xbox 360 games are rendered at 720p natively and then scaled to whatever output you select. The only exceptions that I can think of off the top of my head are PGR (rendered at less than 720p...like 540 or something) and I believe the new Tennis game can render at 1080. Everything else is 720p natively and then scaled by your xbox or HDTV depending on your dashboard settings.

LORD BLACKFIRE
31st Mar 2007, 04:01
I played all evening at 480p only on the new map and never once was dropped or had any sort of issue. I can't test it on 720p on my set. 1080i is a definite GAME BREAKER.

MindlessMuppet
31st Mar 2007, 12:15
I have tried with the supposed work around changing my resolution to 720p from 1080i, and while I am fortunate to have a TV that supports every HD resolution available I am still getting lock ups.

For the record I haven't moved to 420p to see if it is better there, but I am not a tester for Eidos and 420p resolution isn't one of the key selling points that got me to purchase the game.

At this point I would really like to understand why it doesn't work with the miracle work around at 720p for me, but I suppose waiting for an official fix will be what I end up getting, it is just a question of when.

Eidos, please continue toward an official resolution and not a possible, likely, questionable band-aid fix as the end result. Thank you.

LORD BLACKFIRE
31st Mar 2007, 19:03
480p is NOT an absolute fix. I just locked up on the new map. I don't know if it was a coincidence but . . . I was on the map screen in an American sub on the far western (left) side of the map. I was moving down the edge to the bottom corner when I realized I needed a full tank of air before going into the southern gulf. I turned north, got the "you're about to leave the map" warning pulled back just a bit towards the east and then turned north (to get out of range of the battleship hiding in the gulf). I went to lay in a course due north and as I hit the A button to set the course right on top of the red map border the game locked up instantly. I had to restart my 360.

hiscore
8th Apr 2007, 08:24
if I'd sold something more than 50% of my customers are complaining about, I would get it off the Marketplace, fix it and then rerelease it...

LORD BLACKFIRE
8th Apr 2007, 14:28
if I'd sold something more than 50% of my customers are complaining about, I would get it off the Marketplace, fix it and then rerelease it...

At least you'd think they'd put up a warning along with the DLC so people who download it would know what to do. Currently, when newbies download the new maps they have to learn the hard way about changing their settings.

In Battlefield 2:MC Electronic Arts (EA) has a scrolling marquee with notices. Something like that would be perfect for Battlestations.

intrepid_soul
9th Apr 2007, 15:21

I agree, if it were broken in the first place. It seems if you have the 1080 option enabled it causes issues with the game since it doesn't support it. i agree its odd it works without the content.

intrepid_soul
9th Apr 2007, 15:25
At least you'd think they'd put up a warning along with the DLC so people who download it would know what to do. Currently, when newbies download the new maps they have to learn the hard way about changing their settings.

In Battlefield 2:MC Electronic Arts (EA) has a scrolling marquee with notices. Something like that would be perfect for Battlestations.

This is going to sound like an excuse but its not, remember EA has over 1 billion in cash on hand, they can do just about anything.

You would also think CS would be completly aware of the problem and solution before end users are, but many times its end users that help CS figure out some of the more bizzarre issues.

andy3536
9th Apr 2007, 16:54
I agree, if it were broken in the first place. It seems if you have the 1080 option enabled it causes issues with the game since it doesn't support it. i agree its odd it works without the content.

Hmm, when you say it doesn't support it do you mean it doesn't support 1080i intentionally or accidentally?
Because on the back of the case for the game it says it supports 1080i.
And don't forget that switching from 1080i to 720p or 480p hasn't worked for everybody.
And your multiplayer on the 360 without the content has many problems on a similar level (although not the same extent) so any fix needs to help with existing maps.

sabbath420
9th Apr 2007, 17:36
could this problem be selective to HDTV's? I have asked a few people that have been able to play the map and they don't have HDTV's.
I don't know if there is any signifigance to this but That is what I have observed.

andy3536
9th Apr 2007, 21:34
could this problem be selective to HDTV's? I have asked a few people that have been able to play the map and they don't have HDTV's.
I don't know if there is any signifigance to this but That is what I have observed.

It has worked for some but not all.

countrytom
10th Apr 2007, 01:45
Backdoor fix no longer working for me.

Next stop, gamestop.

:(

Too bad because I really like this game, but I just cannot waste time in my precious free time.

MindlessMuppet
13th Apr 2007, 22:13
Unfortunately for me as well, the movement to 720p doesn't completely solve the issue. While the movement downward in resolution does reduce the number of times of lockups, it still happens quite a fair bit, usually at the wrong time.

Even more sad is the contacting of Eidos Support regarding this issue. Reading the boards it seems that some appear to care about the issue, some are in flat denial, they actually lack the will or ability to solve the issue and don't want to face up to the face.

The latest solution from Eidos is to keep downgrading the visual setting to 420p to *see* if that works, which on a large TV makes the game look very poor, and pointless if they don't know if it is going to solve the issue as they are clearly make random guesses. I suspect that if the game locks up at 420p I will be furthered asked by Eidos Support to keep downgrading until I eventually get to 1980 Atari resolution which might actually work. ;)

I am unclear as to what I will do at this point with the game, but I clearly feel as though Eidos has pulled a bait and switch, and frankly doesn't care to try to resolve the issue other pushing the issues aside and moving along.

Clearly we the consumers are at fault for actually expecting what was printed on the game box to be true from Eidos. All we can do is remember this and make note on further purchases that bare the Eidos name, and maybe over time they will learn to perform better.

Oh and to quote "Sean McCloskey" Eidos Interactive Technical Support, "Try setting it to the next lowest setting in the xbox dashboard." after *weeks* of working through the official support channel on the issue. pfft!!!

intrepid_soul
16th Apr 2007, 22:00
Unfortunately for me as well, the movement to 720p doesn't completely solve the issue. While the movement downward in resolution does reduce the number of times of lockups, it still happens quite a fair bit, usually at the wrong time.

Even more sad is the contacting of Eidos Support regarding this issue. Reading the boards it seems that some appear to care about the issue, some are in flat denial, they actually lack the will or ability to solve the issue and don't want to face up to the face.

The latest solution from Eidos is to keep downgrading the visual setting to 420p to *see* if that works, which on a large TV makes the game look very poor, and pointless if they don't know if it is going to solve the issue as they are clearly make random guesses. I suspect that if the game locks up at 420p I will be furthered asked by Eidos Support to keep downgrading until I eventually get to 1980 Atari resolution which might actually work. ;)

I am unclear as to what I will do at this point with the game, but I clearly feel as though Eidos has pulled a bait and switch, and frankly doesn't care to try to resolve the issue other pushing the issues aside and moving along.

Clearly we the consumers are at fault for actually expecting what was printed on the game box to be true from Eidos. All we can do is remember this and make note on further purchases that bare the Eidos name, and maybe over time they will learn to perform better.

Oh and to quote "Sean McCloskey" Eidos Interactive Technical Support, "Try setting it to the next lowest setting in the xbox dashboard." after *weeks* of working through the official support channel on the issue. pfft!!!

w00t! I love being called out.

First issue, you are in the middle of troubleshooting, as I told you, we are committed to finding out the root cause of the issue that is very specific to you. As I told you all who have contact support on this issue have found resolution by downgrading their graphics setting to 720. The reason for this was given to me in what ammounted to a 2 page discertation on graphics and settings by a member of QA. It amounted to basically having too much information on the screen causes 1080 to lag out if not all together crash.

For the record I think Pitfall would be kick arse at 420, and I suggest checking out some screen shots from that era. Nothing you can do will make any 360 title look like a 2600. Although a 2600 cheat would be awesome if done right.

Too be clear, in your case we are making random guesses as you have stated that there is no improvement in the 720 setting. Everyone else seems to have had sucess except you. I can only speak for those contacting support, not anyone on these forums.

Trust me when I speak to everyone on this issue, I am equally frustrated as you look back and see me cheerfully admit this title doesn't support 1080. this was based on faultly information that was given to me. I have since checked the back of the box (I know, novel concept), and see the 1080 is listed. While it is easy to point the finger towards Eidos there is a co-conspirator that bares equal blame. ALL GAMES released for console are put through a QA process and a 1st party submission process. In order for a game to be on the shelf 1st party has to sign off on it. In order or patches or DLC to be released 1st part has to sign off on it.

PS. The 29th of March isn't necessarily weeks, while I agree it is excessive I look forward to working with you to resolve this in a less public forum.

andy3536
17th Apr 2007, 19:16
w00t! I love being called out.

First issue, you are in the middle of troubleshooting, as I told you, we are committed to finding out the root cause of the issue that is very specific to you. As I told you all who have contact support on this issue have found resolution by downgrading their graphics setting to 720. The reason for this was given to me in what ammounted to a 2 page discertation on graphics and settings by a member of QA. It amounted to basically having too much information on the screen causes 1080 to lag out if not all together crash.

For the record I think Pitfall would be kick arse at 420, and I suggest checking out some screen shots from that era. Nothing you can do will make any 360 title look like a 2600. Although a 2600 cheat would be awesome if done right.

Too be clear, in your case we are making random guesses as you have stated that there is no improvement in the 720 setting. Everyone else seems to have had sucess except you. I can only speak for those contacting support, not anyone on these forums.

Trust me when I speak to everyone on this issue, I am equally frustrated as you look back and see me cheerfully admit this title doesn't support 1080. this was based on faultly information that was given to me. I have since checked the back of the box (I know, novel concept), and see the 1080 is listed. While it is easy to point the finger towards Eidos there is a co-conspirator that bares equal blame. ALL GAMES released for console are put through a QA process and a 1st party submission process. In order for a game to be on the shelf 1st party has to sign off on it. In order or patches or DLC to be released 1st part has to sign off on it.

PS. The 29th of March isn't necessarily weeks, while I agree it is excessive I look forward to working with you to resolve this in a less public forum.

If you read the posts in this forum and some of those at xbox forums you will see that lowering the resolution to 720p does not work for all (although it has for most)
There is also another question as to those who test the game, do they all do so using the same tv?
Surly it would make sence to try all these games at all resolutions on different types of tv and using the component cable, scart and vga lead. It would certainly appear as though the testing provedure was not as well managed as might have been.
I still have many issues with this game on the other multiplayer maps with lagg and connection lost issues.
I do not have the luxury of turning my tv output down to 720p as my tv will not support this and i have not paid out the money for a 360 and hdtv to play games in 480p.
I have also herd of a few people having trouble that do not posses a hdtv.
Cheack out xbox forums and you will see an accurate picture of the problem.

intrepid_soul
17th Apr 2007, 19:51
If you read the posts in this forum and some of those at xbox forums you will see that lowering the resolution to 720p does not work for all (although it has for most).

I honestly don't have time to read posts in this or any other forums, I can only go off information given to me by end users like yourself. Everyone, with the exception of one, who has contacted support has found a solution with the lower resolution.

.There is also another question as to those who test the game, do they all do so using the same tv?
Surly it would make sence to try all these games at all resolutions on different types of tv and using the component cable, scart and vga lead. It would certainly appear as though the testing provedure was not as well managed as might have been.

Our games our tested by very hardworking and dedicated people in the UK, and as a former tester I can assure you that a wide variety of equipment is tested. I can tell you that high definition testing is tested to the requirements of 1st party, which goes back to the idea of misplaced rage. First party also tests according to their guidelines. Anything, and I mean anything on any console first had to get the blessings of the certification teams from first party.

I still have many issues with this game on the other multiplayer maps with lagg and connection lost issues.
I do not have the luxury of turning my tv output down to 720p as my tv will not support this and i have not paid out the money for a 360 and hdtv to play games in 480p.
I have also herd of a few people having trouble that do not posses a hdtv.
Cheack out xbox forums and you will see an accurate picture of the problem.

As I stated before and I am not sure where as I am trying to help here in the forums and still maintain a half way decent service level for the rest of the people who are contacting me through proper support channels, this title supports 1080, but due to the amount of content in the levels the DLC may lag or all together crash. The straight forward solution is to switch the Xbox to a lower resolution. The DLC is not required to play the game if you do not want to play with those levels if is your choice and you can keep playing in 1080.

andy3536
18th Apr 2007, 19:16
I honestly don't have time to read posts in this or any other forums, I can only go off information given to me by end users like yourself. Everyone, with the exception of one, who has contacted support has found a solution with the lower resolution.

Our games our tested by very hardworking and dedicated people in the UK, and as a former tester I can assure you that a wide variety of equipment is tested. I can tell you that high definition testing is tested to the requirements of 1st party, which goes back to the idea of misplaced rage. First party also tests according to their guidelines. Anything, and I mean anything on any console first had to get the blessings of the certification teams from first party.

As I stated before and I am not sure where as I am trying to help here in the forums and still maintain a half way decent service level for the rest of the people who are contacting me through proper support channels, this title supports 1080, but due to the amount of content in the levels the DLC may lag or all together crash. The straight forward solution is to switch the Xbox to a lower resolution. The DLC is not required to play the game if you do not want to play with those levels if is your choice and you can keep playing in 1080.

Sorry it appears i was unclaer, the lagg and the 'connection lost' problems i'm having are on the existing MP maps as i do not have the new content which i'm holding out on untill it gets sorted as my tv will not run 720p.
It would be worth noting that xbox forums are a great way to see how your game is being percieved by those who have bought it and i would hope that you have at least someone at eidos relaying the problems people encounter and the details of how customers are enjoying the game. It is a great way to do a consumer survey with only 10 mins out of your time to surf the threads on this game.

Monkey Man 27
27th Nov 2007, 00:04
I just started playing this game and couldn't figure it out.
I could remember saying 'Make sure you _____ or your game will freeze!' many months before but couldn't remember what it was.

Just checked here and it all came back to me, I had upgraded my TV during my 5 month hiatus from this game, switched the settings and it works fine!

xgamerms999
17th Dec 2007, 01:38
I wash more people would buy the DLC...