PDA

View Full Version : Video doesn't work...

GroundNPound
16th Mar 2007, 02:07
First off let me start by saying Thief load fine and I can go through the menu system perfectly. But when I try to start a new game it loads the level and I can see the loading screen, then when it finishes nothing happens, I can hear the ambient level sounds, even walk around and such, but all I can see is the loading screen. Apparently the video freezes, while the game is still running fine just not animating anything on my monitor. That's the problem and here are my specs:

Windows Vista Ultimate
ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ CPU
2 GB Ultra DDR400 RAM
XFX GeForce 7900 GS

I have the latest nVIDIA Vista drivers installed. Any ideas are appreciated.

Peter_Smith
16th Mar 2007, 02:27
Microsoft is the devil. Vista will never enter my house. :) That said, try this:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112669

GroundNPound
16th Mar 2007, 04:08
Sorry my bad, by Thief I meant Thief Deadly Shadows, forgot this was the tech forum for all the games, I thank you for the prompt response though. And I agree with you, Microsoft is the devil, but unfortuantely as a gamer most products come out for Windows fairly exclusively for Non Mac games. Or so I've found anyways. Personally my favourite OS would be a Linux distro for sheer reliabilty and non gaming usefulness.

GroundNPound
19th Mar 2007, 17:59
Not to be a arse or anything but does anyone have any ideas about this issue? I'd really like to get playing the game :) thanks again

Komag
20th Mar 2007, 01:21
I've never heard of that problem, ever. It's very weird and never been mentioned on any of the forums I've read.

GroundNPound
23rd Mar 2007, 00:39
I'm just trashing this game then. I can't be bothered to go through all the trouble of trying to fix it when there's far better games out there.

Komag
23rd Mar 2007, 04:32
My guess is that it's most likely a Vista problem. Why do you have Vista? Just stick with XP for a couple more years I say

GroundNPound
23rd Mar 2007, 14:54
Meh, just wanted to check it out, but I can't be bothered to go back to xp now. I've had very few compatitbility problems with Vista.

GroundNPound
6th Apr 2007, 00:58
I have fixed the video issue. nVIDIA has a set of beta drivers available for Vista; 101.41, install these and Thief: DS worked like a charm. Good luck to all.

Komag
6th Apr 2007, 05:17
That's excellent news. I hope it helps others as well, and if one or two other people report that this fixes it for them too, then we can recommend it to everyone as "the solution"!

GroundNPound
10th Apr 2007, 20:28
apparently it worked for another gentleman in a different thread. Hopefully there isn't a different issue causing this particular problem:)