PDA

View Full Version : favourite scene/area in TR1

sophie22
4th Mar 2007, 12:33
looking at the concept art made me think i bet classically everyone loved level two or was it 3, the T-rex area with that beautiful waterfall? well i did anyway, i loved all the little areas you could go into it, and you know what else that ive noticed they have stopped using? when you look around at the surrounding rock faces you think, that bit looks climbable, how do i get to that part? and you take time exploring seeing which bits will get you there to find gun clips and such, i loved that bit the latest offerings see o have lost that wondering around for hours looking for stuff and made everything more linear, i actually liked the madness, lol.
is anyone with me on that?
i tell you what else i loved and im sorry i havent played it in a while but do intend to so i cant remember the names, but the level where the hugeee room fills up with watr with the big bridge in the middle, i love the music and the feel as you enter that room, the nusic in TR1 was the best music ever, and i also loved the area once you killed the wolves that jump out at you in the entrance you go into that area with the little pool in the middle and wher ethe bear comes out of those stable things, i love the feel of that area too. what was everyones best bits?

oh i just remembered! wasnt the monatery in tibet great!? i didnt get why when you got there they were all fighting though?

munchkin
4th Mar 2007, 13:24
barkhang monestry? thats TR2 and yes i love that level.

TR1

all of it :) but especailly love The Lost Valley level, to this day (and i'm playing TR1 again now) that T-Rex makes me spooked. :)

I must have been the only person to try every thing in Legend, leaping of cliffs to see if there wasa secret, shimmying every where to see if i coudl drop jumping at climbable looking walls. Shootign at broken looking walls, trying to run up that slope withthe boulders to see if there was a nook with pick ups, going up and around the other side all sorts.

It was all fun and added onto the game time.

TR1 with legend controls and graphics? :) heaven....

TR1 i loved the sphinx level and all the rooms and things in st francises folly.

love the end levels where your practically fighting atlanteans every step and adore the end fight with Natla and the big escape....

But my fav game is TR2 .... sharks, bad guys, tigers, water, Venice, speedboats :) brilliant. my absolute fav TR level in all the games is the Maria Dora levels in TR2 they will never be beaten, amazing beautiful tricksy, perfect :)

beccaxx

Treeble
4th Mar 2007, 13:31
looking at the concept art made me think i bet classically everyone loved level two or was it 3, the T-rex area with that beautiful waterfall?
Lv. 3 - The Lost Valley

the level where the hugeee room fills up with watr with the big bridge in the middle, i love the music and the feel as you enter that room, the nusic in TR1 was the best music ever,
Lv. 8 - The Cistern

and i also loved the area once you killed the wolves that jump out at you in the entrance you go into that area with the little pool in the middle and wher ethe bear comes out of those stable things, i love the feel of that area too. what was everyones best bits?
Lv. 2 - City of Vilcabamba

:)

sophie22
4th Mar 2007, 14:02
lol, well done with the names. :)

i never did that with legend, i think i didnt see the prizes as appealing, i liked finding little gold idols that would get you into doors or big health packs, rather than those shields to unlock outfits which i think should have been given as rewards for finishing the game or something.
oh, i wonder why i thought that was in TR1 - either way it was an ace level, i liked TR2 too i did get sick of the venice levels though, i think if it was remaid i would like it better though because i think they would make the scenery a bit different in each area so you werent seeing the same sort of thing all the time, i like the snowy levels, those yeti things were scary! the noise they made and the creepy almost marching like music that came on when you first get near them, i think in that cage puzzle area.
yeah i loved the animals you coud fight, i like the great wall alot actually i wish it had been a longer level with more bits in it like the first half before you get inside to the traps

doctor willard
4th Mar 2007, 15:52
yeh good old tombraider...:D to celebrate TRA coming out soon im playing all the tomb raider games again, and ive just completed TR last revelation, now onto chronicles...

LisaB1962
4th Mar 2007, 16:53
I just replayed most of TR1---my kid overwrote my game at Natla's Mines, and I haven't had the heart to go back to do it again. But ---

Walking out into the Sanctuary of the Scion is pretty darn impressive. All those platforms you just know you have to figure out how to get to. Items in the distance. The shock when those zombies start shooting fireballs at you. :D

That's probably the single biggest thing missing from Legend--the scale. Sure, it looked good, but you couldn't deviate from the path.

winston
4th Mar 2007, 21:41
Trying to think back to TR1...:rolleyes: Lol well absolutely, Lost Valley. Also (and I can't remember the name of the level) but the Egypt bit... just think, they improved that in TR4, imagine it on TRA...

Also the Coloseum level, loved that. Especially the bit where she has to face the elements and get 4 keys to open the door down below her. Not especially difficult, just clever!

Is this just going to be a remake of TR1 then?

munchkin
4th Mar 2007, 23:19
Trying to think back to TR1...:rolleyes: Lol well absolutely, Lost Valley. Also (and I can't remember the name of the level) but the Egypt bit... just think, they improved that in TR4, imagine it on TRA...

Also the Coloseum level, loved that. Especially the bit where she has to face the elements and get 4 keys to open the door down below her. Not especially difficult, just clever!

A retelling more than a remake from what i understand it :)

egypt was The Great pyramid :)

beccaxx

sophie22
4th Mar 2007, 23:31
I just replayed most of TR1---my kid overwrote my game at Natla's Mines, and I haven't had the heart to go back to do it again. But ---

Walking out into the Sanctuary of the Scion is pretty darn impressive. All those platforms you just know you have to figure out how to get to. Items in the distance. The shock when those zombies start shooting fireballs at you. :D

That's probably the single biggest thing missing from Legend--the scale. Sure, it looked good, but you couldn't deviate from the path.

lol thats so annoying isnt it, and as much as you loved it it just kill syou to think you have to do all those tricky bits again, i know exactly what you mean about not going off the path in the new one, bring back old style i say but with the beauty of the new one!

yeh good old tombraider...:D to celebrate TRA coming out soon im playing all the tomb raider games again, and ive just completed TR last revelation, now onto chronicles...

i dont think ive ever completed TR4 without cheatibg, i mean jeeez make it impossible why dont you to find items, lol, like that area with the giant beast in the hole....grrr

coloseum was great, i loved the scale where you couldnt even see it was so far away lol, and i loved the way in the pit there wa so much to kill but it wasnt all close up

G4mefr3ak88
5th Mar 2007, 02:42
[QUOTE=sophie22;623584]looking at the concept art made me think i bet classically everyone loved level two or was it 3, the T-rex area with that beautiful waterfall? well i did anyway, i loved all the little areas you could go into it, and you know what else that ive noticed they have stopped using? when you look around at the surrounding rock faces you think, that bit looks climbable, how do i get to that part? and you take time exploring seeing which bits will get you there to find gun clips and such, i loved that bit the latest offerings see o have lost that wondering around for hours looking for stuff and made everything more linear, i actually liked the madness, lol.
is anyone with me on that?QUOTE]

I am with you! I to thought the T=Rex and the surroundings were beautiful. But then again, all Tomb Raiders are like that. Tomb Raider at it's best, ;) .

winston
5th Mar 2007, 21:47
Now a retelling isnt bad at all! I like the sound of that:thumbsup: Yes, Great Pyramid, that was it, and the Sphinx... wow...

I loved the monkeys in the Colloseum, lol:p

sophie22
5th Mar 2007, 21:49
lol, the monkeys scared the crap otta me when they would just jump out on you then screech!

i like dthe way the monkeys on TR3 only on the first level were cute and wouldnt try and attack you unless you shot them, i think they should have more interactive creatures that dont want to kill you.

geokerkid
7th Mar 2007, 18:48
I'd know if I had TR1 -_- does it still cost money? If so, where could I get it? Or if it doesn't cost anything, where could I get it?

TR1 I would seriously love to have that. I really want to try it out. I didn't realize that I had TR1 for playstation until the day my sister threw it out. Jeez.

Inn_Hevonn_Klann
7th Mar 2007, 19:01
The Lost Valley

Mangar The Dark
7th Mar 2007, 19:33
So much of TR1 made a huge impression on me because it was the first game like that that I've ever played.
Heck, even The Caves, which is a nothing-much level, thoroughly impressed me at the time! But, I guess I'll have to go with the majority here and say The Lost Valley was my favorite. The T-Rex completely shocked me (ah, the good ol' days before I had access to every possible spoiler via the web.) But I also liked the quieter bits of that level. I loved rummaging around in the crevices on the canyon wall, being scared out of my wits when a dino would leap out at me, and I loved clambering around near the top of the waterfall, brining back the cogs to gear mechanism. It was really a brilliantly designed level.

winston
8th Mar 2007, 15:53
TR1 I would seriously love to have that. I really want to try it out. I didn't realize that I had TR1 for playstation until the day my sister threw it out. Jeez.

OMG if my sister tried to chuck out my TR games she would get beatings! :D

martijnbouwman
8th Mar 2007, 17:39
my favorite level is Vilcabamba - I had never seen a video game before (at the age of 43) and there it was on that demo a friend showed me - so stunning. I fell in love immediately and still am. TRA is a dream come true.
martijn

Inn_Hevonn_Klann
8th Mar 2007, 18:09
then you will love, cuz now you can feel it! Not just watch it, or play it!

Trueform
10th Mar 2007, 15:37
I love the cistern for its greenity!

Mad Axeman
10th Mar 2007, 22:02
Walking into St Francis' folly for the first time was awesome.
Talk about platform games..... that added a whole new dimension.
I didn't dare touch the controls for a while, in case I fell off something, VERTIGO

digifan
10th Mar 2007, 22:36
Thinking back to TR1 I think, IMO, the best level belong to the Lost Valley where Lara have a chance to take down a T-Rex and play tag with velosoraptors. :thumbsup: The final level isn't bad either.

I wonder if we will see elements from the other games via TRII through TRL be integrated into TRA? Now that's an intereresting thought.

StarChampagne
11th Mar 2007, 16:09

Couldn't agree more. I joined in with the general bemoaning of the size of the levels in Legend, but it was only when I got into TR1 proper some time later did I realise just how gigantic the levels of TR1 truly are. I'm currently navigating the Sanctuary of the Scion, and walking out into that huge area really did take my breath away. As did the Obelisk of Khamoon (?) - so many places to explore, it's a wonder I managed to find the secrets.

Anniversary would not be complete without the scale. Hopefully CD have realised this is one of the biggest, and pretty unanimous, complaints about Legend. Although I would be fearful of even attempting a time trial of some of the TR1 levels. :)

munchkin
11th Mar 2007, 16:20
Couldn't agree more. I joined in with the general bemoaning of the size of the levels in Legend, but it was only when I got into TR1 proper some time later did I realise just how gigantic the levels of TR1 truly are. I'm currently navigating the Sanctuary of the Scion, and walking out into that huge area really did take my breath away. As did the Obelisk of Khamoon (?) - so many places to explore, it's a wonder I managed to find the secrets.

Anniversary would not be complete without the scale. Hopefully CD have realised this is one of the biggest, and pretty unanimous, complaints about Legend. Although I would be fearful of even attempting a time trial of some of the TR1 levels. :)

Having just re-played TR1 and legend i can honestly say they are nto as different as yo;d imagine reading some peopels comments. TR1 is not really that open to deviation, there is only one way to get to the end of the level, same with legend, sure yo can wander for ages admiring the scenary and every nook in TR1 again same in legend, the differences are there but they really are not so massive as i read here.

Truth is TR1 is Linear, as is TR legend, TR one had imense scale but little to do with it, as did legend... it is TR2 onwards where the TR series got less linear .....

imho
beccaxx

LisaB1962
11th Mar 2007, 16:45
I will disagree with that. True, there is only one exit, and only one way to get the exit door to open.

However, advancing in an original TR level is not straightforward. Oh look, a door! But you can't open it, and how you're supposed to open it isn't clear. Might need a key, a lever---crap, where do I start looking for those? There's a pool over there, but then there's that hallway off to the left and another one to the right. Or should I climb that ledge? :scratch:

Legend's levels were basically straight pipes. Usually everything you needed was in the room you were in. A cursory look around the room would tell you the way Lara is supposed to go. The only time I felt otherwise was briefly in England.

What made Tomb Raider fun and original (for me) was the sense of "oh gee---where do I start?" "OMG---I have to get up there, but how?" The levels themselves were giant puzzles. I recently replayed TR1 too, and I still got stuck, and how many times have I played it? It's just so massive I can't remember it all.

barabora
11th Mar 2007, 17:43
Favorite scean but there is nothing a pic?!?! :rasp:
So I show my favorite sceans from original TR_01.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/8199/glidos2006081606411253copync2.th.jpg (http://img175.imageshack.us/my.php?image=glidos2006081606411253copync2.jpg) http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/7254/glidos2006081606245582copyky0.th.jpg (http://img175.imageshack.us/my.php?image=glidos2006081606245582copyky0.jpg)

These are my favorites sceans in original TR_01.
One is the scean of my very big impression motion from Lara.
At the first time when I see this, very~ very~ very~ very~
big impression of Lara's POWER!!! WOOOOOOOOOW!!! :nut:
So I always argue to see this motion all through the TR.
But unfortuneately, this push-big-block scean deleted after TR_03.
Maybe returning back this scean in TRA?!?! Very big WELCOME!!! ;)
And other, Safari... this scean was also deleted after TR_03.
I don't know why... And now this "corpse" discussion going to
very stupid(?) "bloody effect (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=66232)" inserting urging discussion.
I don't want to see blood in TR in the future.
Rather return to original "corpse" OK~ ;)

And this is BONUS(?) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeANQ7oInKA) from me.
Anybody here haviing experience of
dancing(?) with bear-Pooh (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pooh)(?) like that?

hehehe~ :rasp:

digifan
12th Mar 2007, 15:17
You've brought up some interesting points. In the original Tomb Raider games, there were indeed several doors that Lara can't open. Some of them lead to triggering deadly traps re TRIII unless you first solve the puzzle by defusing them first. :eek: We didn't see that in Legend, nor in AoD. It would be interesting to see what CrysD had done to preserve this type of gameplay that made TR such a fan favorite.

SethKoopa
13th Mar 2007, 08:09
I love...

SANCTUARY OF THE SCION
When you fall down into this huge, flooded cavern with these statues of Horus and Set/Anubis. One of the few, priceless moments I get whilst playing Tomb Raider when I feel at peace with everything.

Mad Axeman
14th Mar 2007, 23:07
oh i just remembered! wasnt the monatery in tibet great!? i didnt get why when you got there they were all fighting though?

I may be totally off the mark here, but wasn't the Tibetan monastary in TR2?
If it's the one I'm thinking of the monks are fighting off Lara's opponents and will leave you alone at that point as long as you don't shoot any of them.

Lo
14th Mar 2007, 23:35
There are parts I loathe and parts I love on every TR game!

As for TR1, for some reason I recall being blown away when I first ventured into Natla's mines - possibly because I do have a tendency to tire of certain textures after two levels and positively need something new to look at!

For that reason, the mines were totally different - very contrasting in the dark coal textures to the brightness of the lava.

I know this is about TR1 but I have to say, although I loved the Maria Dora levels in TR2, by the time I was on the last level I was getting exceptionally bored of and rather strained in the eyeball department from looking at all that rust. As soon as I dropped through a hatch into...even the toilet area I was relieved (no pun intended :D ), or the ballroom for example. I could feel the muscles relaxing in my eyes!!

barabora
15th Mar 2007, 10:06
I may be totally off the mark here, but wasn't the Tibetan monastary in TR2?If it's the one I'm thinking of the monks are fighting off Lara's opponents and will leave you alone at that point as long as you don't shoot any of them.

Yeah~ this buddy is right. That scean is TR_02. But I like that scean too.
Now we think about POLL on this topic. 10 sceans selection and Let's vote~
Because over 10 question-option is impossible here. Showing your any pics
of favorites area. This topic have "red-envelop"(=http://forums.eidosgames.com/images/statusicon/thread_dot_hot.gif) now. So we can make
a poll about this subject. hehe~ :nut:

part_01: (1 or 2 sceans) sections of Lost Valley (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=625060&postcount=25)
part_02: (1 or 2 sceans) sections of Greco-Roman
part_03: (1 or 2 sceans) sections of Atlantis
part_04: (1 or 2 sceans) sections of Natla's mine

gaetano
18th Mar 2007, 22:39
Loved everything in TR1 but remember the breathtaking panoramic cutscene in Egypt with the music... :p As far as I've seen from screenshots I think TRA will be good to play, there are even details from TR1 that have been enhanced in TRA, make me confident :

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w202/gaetano_lara/tr1_vs_tra.jpg

-DC-
20th Mar 2007, 15:12
St Francis' Folly stands out for me as well :)

Stan365247
20th Mar 2007, 17:15

And the huge sphinx - breathtaking

gaetano
21st Mar 2007, 18:14
I liked the old "block" system too. Checking here and there, does this bizarre wall can be moved, can I go to that high platform, what's behind this etc. You really had to explore every corner, do things backward to find a hole in the ceiling and figure Ah! this is the reason for that moving block... Ok I must find a way to go there...I can do that.... then I jump here... and then that ledge... etc. All the level became a puzzle in itself with rewards and secrets scatered along the way.:rolleyes: Yeah, lasts games were too straightforward with blinking, glittering objects, follow the guide ...:(