PDA

View Full Version : I'm a 59 year old Grandma who loves Tomb Raider...

king1029
27th Feb 2007, 09:23
This is my first post here. I'm a 59 year old Grandma who loves Tomb Raider. I did beat Tomb Raider II. I realize you're all so far ahead of me with electronic games and such but my son just bought Tomb Raider Legend for me and I'm stuck. Usually when I'd get stuck, my son would get me past the spot and I'd keep going but he travels now so I need help. I've been stuck in the room, near the beginning of the game, for days now. It's the one where there is a seesaw type thing of stones, three cages that can be moved and obviously they want me to move up to the big slab with the carvings on it but I cannot figure out how to get her up there. Oh, there was also a leopard to kill. Is there a book to follow on this game or could someone tell me what I'm supposed to do. Thanks.

Rivendell
27th Feb 2007, 10:29
Hello there!

All you need to do:

Kill the leopard
Pull out the cage from under the see-saw, and drag it onto the edge you pulled it out from under.
From the middle platform, leap onto the other end of the see-saw, this should flip the cage up onto the ledge.
repeat with the other cage in the water.
drag the 3 cages onto the 3 pressure plates, and there you go!

:thumbsup:

aussie500
27th Feb 2007, 11:12
Welcome to the forum king1029 :)
Once you get the cages on the pressure plates and the door opens you will need to look at what else has changed in the room to get over there, what else is moving?

BassViper
27th Feb 2007, 18:50
GREAT to meet you!

I'm a 64 year old Grandpa married to a 54 year old beautiful doll actually named Laura, and we both LOVE it.

My 44 year old Daughter who works for Cisco systems as an Internet Web programmer turned me onto it.

Tho me and the "old lady" have been playing computer games for decades now. We're both DOOM fans from the 90's and Donkey Kong addicts from the 80's.

We remain undefeated at the barroom table-top version of doubles PONG.

Heh Heh.

Go baby!

Lunideth
27th Feb 2007, 19:29
Cool.

Im 20 years old and i have played pc/console games almost all my age. Yes i know 20 is very much you all others are so youn only 64, 59, 44 etc, so you may think that it is strange that im so old and i play pc (novadays pc only)!!! But hell if you wanna know my opinion then age doesent matter anything so dont be surprised that i play. And its isnt true if someone thinks that games are for youth only!
Besides tomb raiders are games which are entertaiming for everyone. I wont lie for me it would be strange if 50 years old dude woudl play "Barbie" or something like it, but not tomb raider, but i canbe wrong coz everybody likes different things.
So!!! Dont feel embarrased or make age spoil fun! Play if you like it all gamers are on your side.

suzieq51
28th Feb 2007, 01:06
Hi king1029 and welcome to the Forums. If you are still "stuck" you might care to check out Stella's Walkthrough. LOL she's helped me out of many a TR fix (please see linkie below)

http://http://tombraiders.net/stella/tomb7.html#walk (http://tombraiders.net/stella/tomb7.html#walk)

BassViper
28th Feb 2007, 14:58
Lunideth:

I've seen people of all ages get addicted to computer games these days. In the mid 80's Laura and I had the old NEC Turbographics 16 system. WOW! 16 bit graphics! It blew us away at the time. We played BONK and The Legendary Axe.

We're strictly PC gamers these days tho. No dedicated game systems for us. I do wish they still made a USB port joystick tho but you can't find one anymore.

I love the graphics in TRL. But there's few other out that that are stunning also. Half Life and Far Cry come to mind which we also have and play. Half LIfe can rival the older DOOM for sheer fast action violence and gore at times. But with far better graphics of course. Hey, it's all good clean fun. Violence or not, it's all fantasy.

LarasBFF
28th Feb 2007, 21:07
Glad to see you here- King1029!!

:) :thumbsup: :)

king1029
2nd Mar 2007, 08:31
Okay, not sure how to reply to each individual who responded to my question but thank you so much. I knew those pad were the key but haven't figured out how to get the cages up there. My son is buying the book for me but I'll still come here because I've received such a great welcome. Thanks to all of you.

king1029
2nd Mar 2007, 08:34
Glad to see you here- King1029!!

:) :thumbsup: :)

Thanks for the welcome.

king1029
2nd Mar 2007, 08:35
Hi king1029 and welcome to the Forums. If you are still "stuck" you might care to check out Stella's Walkthrough. LOL she's helped me out of many a TR fix (please see linkie below)

http://http://tombraiders.net/stella/tomb7.html#walk (http://tombraiders.net/stella/tomb7.html#walk)

Thanks so much for the link. I've looked everywhere for help. I will beat this Tomb Raider also but probably take me a while. I'm now on Day 5 in that room. LOL

king1029
2nd Mar 2007, 08:36
Hello there!

All you need to do:

Kill the leopard
Pull out the cage from under the see-saw, and drag it onto the edge you pulled it out from under.
From the middle platform, leap onto the other end of the see-saw, this should flip the cage up onto the ledge.

Ooooh! Duh! Of course. I knew that seesaw was there for a reason. Thanks.

suzieq51
3rd Mar 2007, 02:39
Thanks so much for the link. I've looked everywhere for help.

You're more than welcome king1029:). We "mature" Raiders have to stick together! ;)

rabid metro
3rd Mar 2007, 07:37
... I'm a 59 year old Grandma who loves Tomb Raider...

that qualifies you as a "gold secret", in legendary terms ... :)

Astara
3rd Mar 2007, 23:16
Hello there!
All you need to do:

Kill the leopard

An alternate way (w/o killing leopard):

after entering room, drag right most cage onto right most pressure pad (PP)
run & jump, landing at the end of the see-saw w/cage on it.
pull cage off see-saw & push back on
run back towards entry wall & jump up, run to end of pier where raised platform is;
jump from raised platform onto see-saw; then run back toward entry wall (leopard should still be most uninterested)
move 2nd box onto middle PP;
run to & *over* 3rd PP; notes: 3rd PP is one to left as you enter room; run *over* and *off* of 3rd PP so when cut scene triggers you are not standing on pad
now watch big Cog-wheel on left of room(left from entry) and step onto PP; the stone pulls back and the wheel rotates; only let wheel rotate 2 (*two*) stops and let "stopper" push back in to stop wheel (i.e. step off the PP at right time to only let wheel turn 2 "stops" (or slots of the "X"), ~1/2 full turn)

===> now exit door is at right height to allow you to get gold reward for that level if you haven't gotten it already [and...];[..or] can exit room and continue to exit the 3PP-puzzle room and proceed;
----Leopard is left alive here; You pretty much need to kill leopard in evil coat rack room else he can pull you off coat-rack when you are swinging from rack-to-rack; :( ;
--- the above is usable for Time Trials (TT) as well, though you don't have to position exit door for treasure access it doesn't slow one down so much as to prevent TT runs.

A*a

BassViper
5th Mar 2007, 16:49
Astara:

Interesting.

I've never played that room that way. Guess I'll have to try it.

It's one of the most fun puzzles to solve in the game the first time around. My other fave is the water cave with the rotating platforms and armed Idol in Ghana that you have to make the grapple in time to make it work.

Astara
6th Mar 2007, 18:20
Ah yes...the ghana thing...you don't usually have to _explicitly_ kill the big cat there, either -- though it "disappears" as soon as you flood the room.
An amusing nit -- is to start to pull down the idol's arms to start the water flow, but just "start" the release, then quickly release grapple and jump off platform -- that would normally land you on floor where bigcat used to be. Cut scene will continue and when camera moves back to show you the floor and water beginning to flow, you'll see lara on floor with water rising (or having risen over her head). At end of cut scene, current helps push you toward exit. Sometimes when cut scene is over, you'll just be "standing" on the floor (under the platform) under water -- no floating -- just standing on bottom. :)

Needless to say, I've gone through these things a few times and, on occasion, try variations. :)
A*a

babywrath
6th Mar 2007, 18:57
Don't think age much matters when you bump into something amazing in life.......though I believe a hasty mind could miss tons of amazment.

I forget when I was blessed to recieve TRL and ALL that is necessary to enjoy it.......but I am half way through Nepal and enjoying every minute.

I don't get out much;)

Da Baby

PS: Stellalune(member here) has been my "go to" person (has cool webbage) {that's right webbage not cabbage:lmao:}

for any mega stumppers "villan fights" "xtra hard puzzles"etc.

BassViper
7th Mar 2007, 15:16
Astara:

Yeah I think for me I get a double kick out of a GOOD computer game like TRL.

First time around, you have to figure out just how to get thru the thing. From then on, when it's a good game, you get to explore and find things you never saw before. You know where you're going but you still never know what you might run into.

A good game is ALWAYS full of surprises.

Doom, Donky Kong and Bonk were ALL like that.

Long live TRL!

king1029
11th Mar 2007, 09:42

I finally got out of that room, thanks to the advise on this column, but one of my sons also bought the book for me so I'm moving right along when I have time to play. Thanks again for all the help!!

king1029
11th Mar 2007, 09:46
An alternate way (w/o killing leopard):

after entering room, drag right most cage onto right most pressure pad (PP)
run & jump, landing at the end of the see-saw w/cage on it.
pull cage off see-saw & push back on
run back towards entry wall & jump up, run to end of pier where raised platform is;
jump from raised platform onto see-saw; then run back toward entry wall (leopard should still be most uninterested)
move 2nd box onto middle PP;
run to & *over* 3rd PP; notes: 3rd PP is one to left as you enter room; run *over* and *off* of 3rd PP so when cut scene triggers you are not standing on pad
now watch big Cog-wheel on left of room(left from entry) and step onto PP; the stone pulls back and the wheel rotates; only let wheel rotate 2 (*two*) stops and let "stopper" push back in to stop wheel (i.e. step off the PP at right time to only let wheel turn 2 "stops" (or slots of the "X"), ~1/2 full turn)

===> now exit door is at right height to allow you to get gold reward for that level if you haven't gotten it already [and...];[..or] can exit room and continue to exit the 3PP-puzzle room and proceed;
----Leopard is left alive here; You pretty much need to kill leopard in evil coat rack room else he can pull you off coat-rack when you are swinging from rack-to-rack; :( ;
--- the above is usable for Time Trials (TT) as well, though you don't have to position exit door for treasure access it doesn't slow one down so much as to prevent TT runs.

A*a

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain this to me. I did finally get out of there but would not have made it without help from this forum. I'm now on the section after the motorcycle part. I got through the motorcycle thing pretty easily. Now I'm blocked in by rocks one way and the other way I have to get a guy out of a cell. I do have the book now so when I get stuck, I go digging through it.

king1029
11th Mar 2007, 09:47
that qualifies you as a "gold secret", in legendary terms ... :)

Gold secret? Sounds like a good thing but not sure I know what that is.

king1029
11th Mar 2007, 09:50
You're more than welcome king1029:). We "mature" Raiders have to stick together! ;)

I like the sound of that - "Mature Raiders." Sounds daring. LOL I got hooked on TR when my son first started playing. He just set me up a few weeks ago with the TRL because he says he loves it when I yell at the game because you know there are times Lara just does not go where you tell her to and that makes me yell. Doesn't everyone? :)

lara lady
12th Mar 2007, 18:19
:p WOW!I didn't think so many "older people" no affence:) , loved tomb raider so much!!!Wow all i gotta say is go baby go!!:p Welcome to Eidos.com anyway!!

Lara Lady:p

lara lady
12th Mar 2007, 18:22
I like the sound of that - "Mature Raiders." Sounds daring. LOL I got hooked on TR when my son first started playing. He just set me up a few weeks ago with the TRL because he says he loves it when I yell at the game because you know there are times Lara just does not go where you tell her to and that makes me yell. Doesn't everyone? :)

Lol.You're not the only one who yell's:) al Lara when she doesn't do what you want,or expect,her to do.I do it alot!My friend's laugh :lol: :lol: at me because it's a hoot:lmao: watching me yell at the T.V. :o when nothing is being done.:)

Lara Lady:p