PDA

View Full Version : Are the tombs in real life?

Arthur 222
26th Feb 2007, 19:01
Ok am not that stupid I know tombs in real life are nothing
like the ones in the game with traps and huge sone door ways that will open with a puzzel. But are some of the tombs in the game based
on real places?

Raider0011
26th Feb 2007, 19:56
Some. Tomb Raider The Last Revelation for example had a number of locals that actually exist. When Hiram Bingham discovered Machu Pichu in Peru he was looking for the lost city of vilcabumba (sp?), etc. There is some basic truth or fable to most levels, but their all sensationalized for the games. You won't be bumping into a T-Rex in a "Lost Valley" or anything. ;)

dhama
26th Feb 2007, 20:29
There is some basic truth or fable to most levels, but their all sensationalized for the games. You won't be bumping into a T-Rex in a "Lost Valley" or anything. ;)

Huh! next you'll be telling us that Santa doesn't exist, and that man really did go to the moon....

Raider0011
26th Feb 2007, 21:13
lol :rasp:

John Carter
26th Feb 2007, 23:50
Quite a few of the terrain textures in TR 4 were taken from actual photographs of Egyptian tomb and catacomb figures. Of all the TR games, TR 4 is the one that tried to stay within the bounds of what actually exists/existed, although of course "Cleopatra's Palace" actually is in pieces off the coast of Alexandria harbor, instead of intact under the sea. Or so we think. ;)

Raider0011
27th Feb 2007, 02:49
Yeah, TR: The Last Revelation had a good few locals that were fairly accurate or at least based more in fact. I haven't played through it in quite some time, but It had some really nice levels.

jason
27th Feb 2007, 11:13
TR3 had dinosaurs=could be possable TR4 had that first level in the actual tonb thing with sand and scorpions TR AOD was just crap and as games keep coming out im sure the levels will get more real with actual tombs and stuff.

Discordia666
27th Feb 2007, 13:16
One of the first secrets in the original Tomb Raider is a small room behind some trailing creepers and on the wall is the Aztec Calendar Stone, the key to the Aztec counting of days, which was based on the Mayan time cycle of approximately 5125 years. The real one is 12 feet in diameter and weighs 25 tons. I have seen it on the wall of the Museum Of Anthropology in Mexico City. I took a photograph of it to put next to the sceenshot from the game. It seems to predict that the world as we know it will be destroyed (by earthquake, apparently) and a new one will begin at the winter solstice in 2012, so Eidos had better hurry if they want to get Tomb Raider Anniversary out and still leave us time to play it!

Phlip
27th Feb 2007, 15:32
Some. Tomb Raider The Last Revelation for example had a number of locals that actually exist. When Hiram Bingham discovered Machu Pichu in Peru he was looking for the lost city of vilcabumba (sp?), etc. There is some basic truth or fable to most levels, but their all sensationalized for the games. You won't be bumping into a T-Rex in a "Lost Valley" or anything. ;)

so did some jackass think that city of vilcabamba and lost valley was real?

digifan
27th Feb 2007, 17:34
Some of the tombs Lara had explored were base on actual locations. For example, the pyramids in Egypt is base on Valley of the Kings. The traps inside the Great Wall of China were fictional. It's a distinct possibility there are ancient tombs within Russia. It make me wonder why didn't Lara explore tombs in Australlia? :scratch:

Crimson Flux
28th Feb 2007, 04:11
Some of the Tombs actually do exist; in fact, most of them do.
(Lets look at Tomb Raider Legends for a while...:thumbsup: )

Tiwanaku is a real site in Bolivia (close to Lake Titicaca) that was home to an ancient culture pre-dating the Inca. If you've played Legends, this should sound familiar seeing as the game mentions all of the information above. Unfortunately, Tiwanaku is in a dessert, not an island in the clouds as the game depicts it; that idea probably came from the ancient site Machu Picchu.

The town of El Paraiso, Peru, also exists, and was home to a pre-ceramic culture (4000 years ago) that was considered very advanced for its time. I know that archaeological dig sites are common and similar to the one in the game. It has a few buildings, some of which are tombs, just like all ancient civilizations. Funny thing is the builders didn't stay at Paraiso year round, although no one really knows were they went. But in 1991 on the northern coast of Peru, archeologists discovered the tomb of a Moche priestess along with art, a sacrificed slave girl, and other artifacts (sound familiar?). Maybe she came from Paraiso? And if anyone is capable of summoning an entity, I think a priestess would be. The entity is probably the sacrificed slave girl protecting her master. I imagine this is where the game got the idea for the Queen of Tiwanaku and the demon guarding her tomb. The town of El Paraiso itself is typical for South American and looks close to what is seen in the game.

The city of Tokyo obviously exists, and I think legends did a great job mimicking it (even though it isn't much of an ancient tomb. :rolleyes:). It's at the same place it's always been.

The rainforests of Ghana on the west coast of Africa were part of the ancient Mali Empire (centered just north of the country of Ghana) which controlled the trade of gold to far away as Egypt, obviously making it an advanced culture (I couldn't think of a better candidate for building a hidden temple in a waterfall). Unfortunately, I couldn't find a temple behind a waterfall, but I did find the Wli, a major waterfall system in Ghana. It's known for its beautiful scenery and hikes, and was probably what gave justice to the idea of the hidden temple in Legends. In some areas it splits apart into vertical streams that are similar to the small spills over the temple when it is actually reviled, but I think the basis for the waterfall itself came from the Iguacu Falls in Brazil (please do yourself a favor and Google image them; absolutely amazing!).

Carbonek was the legendary Castle where Lancelot sought the Holy Grail, but I didn't find any soviet research facilities under that name. I did find out that secret soviet research facilities were very common (more than I expected) during the Cold War, and I would imagine that many of them are still secret (probably because they've committed crimes against humanity on multiple levels). So I'm sure there was one out there that looks like what is seen in Legends and dealt with the "paranormal": Like an Area 51, only soviet style.

Legend has it that Arthur’s symbol was the Boar of Cornwall, also the county of his birth. So it would only make sense that he was buried there as well. Many sources say the tomb of Arthur was near Glastonbury, a town in Cornwall county (although if he went to Avalon, what’s the point in having a tomb?). Cornwall is the location of the amusement park where Lara sets out to find Arthur's Tomb, so I think the game got pretty close to were Arthur’s tomb theoretically exists.

I did some Google image searching and found the Himalayas scattered with remains of old monasteries and villages, including areas of Nepal; not to the extent of what is seen in Legends, but it looks real similar. I found many with that same grey-blue stone hue that is seen in Legends, and the masonry in the game is exactly what you would see in areas like Nepal. I imagine that if you go there and explore around a while, you'ld find a temple that looks like the one Lara was in.

I hope that’s enough information to satisfy your curiosity for a while (should be haha). It's pretty amazing that the Tomb Raider developers would go through so much trouble to make sure that everything connects together (quite amazing that is does, actually; makes you wonder if the story they told could be true). It gives me a new-found respect for how hard they work to give us the ultimate tomb raiding experience. To all you developers who might reads this, my hat is off to you...

rabid metro
28th Feb 2007, 04:54
I hope that’s enough information to satisfy your curiosity for a while...

To *Crystal Dynamics*, my hat is off to you...

"that's hot!" :cool:
--paris hilton

burt_ie
28th Feb 2007, 09:32
Here is a link to a post I made on another site regarding real world places that Legend draws its inspiration from:

http://www.larashome.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21930

Raider0011
2nd Mar 2007, 00:35
so did some jackass think that city of vilcabamba and lost valley was real?

Do you mean Hiram Bingham? If so, he did think that the City of Vilcabumba did in fact exist. It very well may and simply not have been discovered yet... :)