View Full Version : Can't Load Thief 3 on Windows Vista

mrcooln2000
26th Feb 2007, 01:57
I have an;

Intel Core2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40Ghz
2GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce 7900GS
And Windows Vista

And all I get when I try to start the game is a "Runtime Error!" abnormal program termination error. Is this game just not compatible with windows Vista or is there something else I can try to make this game work. It worked fine on my old computer that had really bad specs with XP.

mrcooln2000
27th Feb 2007, 06:31
I found that if you go to t3.exe and right click it and select properties and then the compatibility tab, just check mark "run this program in compatibility mode" and make sure Windows XP is selected the game runs fine then. Might even work for other games if your having a problem.

Peter_Smith
1st Mar 2007, 08:03
You are the first one I know of to post here about a Vista problem. Congrats on solving it. Did you also try setting affinity of the EXE to one processor? That might work, too. Just curious.

GroundNPound
16th Mar 2007, 01:03
mine won't load on vista either, it's patched to v1.1, and set the compatibility to win xp sp2. an error comes up with DEP (Data Execution Prevention) I tried adding t3.exe to the exception list but it wouldn't allow that. any ideas?

AMD Athlon X2 4400+
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard
2 GB Ultra DDR400 RAM
XFX GeForce 7900 GS

GroundNPound
16th Mar 2007, 01:37
Well I looked into DEP a bit more and found out some info for Vista users. I disabled DEP and Thief now ran fine. To disable DEP run the command prompt. Start>Run>type "command" without the quotes, then hit enter. In the command prompt windows type bcdedit /set nx AlwaysOff then hit enter, now reboot your machine and Thief should now run. Hopefully if setting the compatibility didn't work for you this will. Good luck all.

shifteh
24th Mar 2007, 13:42
Hi,

Mine does also not run on vista 64, its from Hitpoints- Fileplanets system. It just says Thief: Deadly Shadows has stopped working as soon as I double click on the icon...

Any ideas? the DEP thingy didnt work

SunsetDrake
31st Mar 2007, 22:24
I'm having a similar problem. I just bought T: DS on Steam. The game loads up to the menu just fine but when i go to new game the first problem is that my sound cracks real bad and slows down. the big problem is that when i click 'Start' it will switch over and load up but then all i get is the sounds, the video remains stuck on the loading screen. I can move and switch to the menu but it still remains on the loading screen. My Comp stats are as follows:
CPU: P4 with HT, 3.06Ghz OCed: 3.54Ghz
Video: GeForce 7600 GS nVidia Drivers for Vista, Version 100.65 - Dual Monitors
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
Ram: 2Gb DDR2
HDD: 1 TB 1 IDE 2 Sata
Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate
DX: DX 10
Any help would be great, the compatibility and affinty things won't work.

GroundNPound
5th Apr 2007, 23:27
Install the 101.41 BETA drivers for Vista and Thief: DS should work properly, it did for me at least.

FaTaL0505
6th Mar 2008, 07:01
My girlfriend recently bought a PC here in Beijing. I figured I'd try a few games on it..

Since I had Thief 3 on dvd, never played, it was 1st in the machine.

My PC is as follows :

Windows Vista Home Basic
Intel(R)Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2180 GHz
2.00 GB
NVidia GeForce 8400 GS

It installs fine, no drama. But when I double click to play :

The cursor changes from the little blue ring to a CD, and just stays on that.

Now this is my first time on Vista, so I have barely any knowledge on it.

Also, the Vista is annoying coz its in Chinese (since I'm in Beijing) but my girlfriend can translate on the most part for me.

Does it matter what language Vista you have in relation to games?

I've read one solution on some GameTap site, but I didn't get mine through them so I don't have the same directories, etc..

Also, read numerous, change compatibility, also, untick the use of one cpu in Affinity (which I worked out which one was last night) but still no change.

Thanks for your time.

- Mike

kingtriad
24th Mar 2008, 17:05
I had similar problems with Vista as well... try my solution at http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=66801

Wreckcreation
20th May 2008, 14:46
I had problems running this game with vista too. Try overwriting t3.exe with the one found at www.gamecopyworld.com. Seems to have worked for me. Cheers

Markuk
14th Jun 2008, 23:16
Well I looked into DEP a bit more and found out some info for Vista users. I disabled DEP and Thief now ran fine. To disable DEP run the command prompt. Start>Run>type "command" without the quotes, then hit enter. In the command prompt windows type bcdedit /set nx AlwaysOff then hit enter, now reboot your machine and Thief should now run. Hopefully if setting the compatibility didn't work for you this will. Good luck all.

Thnx very much for this tip. I was having the same problem with Thief Deadly shadows and this worked perfectly for me. So thnx again!!

Drakens
1st Jul 2008, 19:53
None of these solutions work so obviously it must be something else, at least for me. My specific problem is that Thief was closed due to DEP. I HAVE changed the settings to no avail. Any other suggestions?

vasanx
18th May 2009, 04:33

I could kiss you for this!

Thanks!

NickMyers
22nd May 2009, 12:11

Please don't do this if you have a Dell laptop! A few people have run this command, and it makes the laptop BSOD at bootup.

Once I used the above tip, I had to go into advanced startup and repair options and re-enable DEP by using the command

bcdedit.exe /set {default} nx OptIn

Mine is an XPS 1730, YMMV - I would recommend you try and exclude the specific executables from DEP using the Data Execution Prevention tab in Performance Options rather than disable DEP completely if you have a Dell.

Ragnalin The Thief
22nd Aug 2009, 21:53
Please help me guys Thief won't load.
I've tried limiting the amount of cores my cpu uses and i've tried running in compatibility mode for xp sp2

here are my specs
6gb DDR3 ram
1024mb ATI Radeon HD4850 GPU
Intell Quad core 920 I7 processor
750 Gb Harddrive
Creative x-fi titanium sound card
windows vista home premium 64 bit.
Oh and I'm also haveing problem mounting to my hardrive as an .iso
and yes I bought this game lefitimately I just don't like changing cds/dvds all the time

Please help I really want to play it

theBlackman
22nd Aug 2009, 22:38
Do a search for VISTA in the "Fix" and "Bug" threads. Some few have gotten THIEF to run in VISTA. If you have a Laptop, you may have additional problems. Thief (all versions) were not written to run on Laptops, or Vista.

Also visit www.ttlg.com and check the tech and legacy threads there in the THIEF Series forums.

You cannot "copy" the discs. They have a security code that prevents ISO, plain Copy or Virtual disc usage.

After it loads, set the infinity, if it loads.

Read through the threads on Fixes, and running on a modern computer and see if any of the suggestions help.

It may be the 64 bit that causing the problem. T3 loads and runs fine for me on XPPRO at 32.

If the game installs and runs with the GAME CD. LIVE WITH IT. You can't run it from a HDD.

Ragnalin The Thief
27th Sep 2009, 02:11
Yay I'm so happy I fixed it! well it wasn't really me because it was vista sp2 with the set affinity on 1 cpu and it works perfectly :) :) :)
Very happy. Although I think it would be nice if eidos bought out some extra support for it even though it's 5 years old.

Plantren
20th Aug 2010, 12:39
Tada, and 1 year later~

I just bought Thief 3: Deadly Shadows

And I am on Vista.

And I am not planning to buy a new computer.

And I don't need lecture about better computers or anything.

I saw the DEP Advice up there.

The thing is, I'm not on an english computer.

But I think we are talking of the same thing;

This are the happenings:

I bought T3DS-

I installed it, without any problems, to my D:\ files.

And it was all okey dokey.

I clicked "Play" and for my happiness, it ran.
I arrived to the main menu, and selected "New Game", as a newbie.

Then it gave me the mission briefing for the first mission. Checking In - Cashing Out.

I went through the information, and then clicked Start

The screen turned black, and then up came the Light Gem
(Which I know from the manual, which was none of help at all)
Up came the Light Gem and Health Jewels/Gems/Bars, whatever.

I found out it was some kind of an odd loading screen, so I waited.

Waited until the Thief 3: Deadly Shadows window CLOSED.

Then I got surprised. I thought to myself, it was a one-time thing. I pressed "Play Thief 3" again (The desktop icon).

Then, the SoldOut (Supplier whatever I bought it from) menu, and then the menu disappeared and, as before, the game was starting.

Then up came- The magical little window.

Microsoft Windows: "Tietokone on keskeyttänyt ohjelman virheettömän toiminnan" In English: The computer has terminated/interrupted the program's flawless action.

And then the only thing left was "Cancel"

So I'm not sure is this the D.E.P. = Data Execution Prevention.

But it sure "Prevented" Thief 3's execution all right.

And I tried to "Play" it many times. About 5 times now, and the same termination of the program.

Also, I reinstalled it 2 times. Both times, the game ran perfectly, I started a new game, and then tried to 'Start' the first mission, without ever meeting gameplay.

And the advice given for the DEP above, I don't understand a thing of it.

Maybe someone could explain it better?

I don't understand "Go to start, then Run and then Type something.

So how to disable it, and any more information?

This game IS supposed to run on Vista.

So what is wrong?

I'm familiar with Eidos games, none of the other games had this kind of problems, even with Vista.

And it's pretty frustrating, I was really looking to play it.

Edit: I am trying to play Thief on Windows Vista - Table (Not laptop)

bran96
15th Aug 2011, 16:16
Okay so I got thief 3 ran the no-cd thing from gamecopyworld and set the affinity to one cpu now i can play the tutorial but when i try to play the next mission it freezes and crashes. I'm using dell vostro 1500 laptop and this idiot installed vista on it cuz he thought it was better. now what do i do cuz i cant deactivate DEP, i already tried.

Rockn-Roll
28th Nov 2011, 03:39
I'm sorry that nobody responded to your problem bran96. Nobody should be using XP any longer because Microsoft has not provided nor in the future will provide any security patches i.e. there are some exploits which there may already be some worms (you don't need to do anything more than just connect to the internet to get a worm). All previous versions of Windows; NT 4.0, ME, 98, 95, 3.0, etc. don't last more than 10 minutes connected to an active internet connection before a worm takes it over. A virus scanner is a must for any version of Windows prior to Vista and even then it's no guarantee that your computer won't be taken over...and virus scanners tend to interfere with some games. And, actually Windows 7 is a lot more stable than Vista...you might want to just wipe the hard drive and install Windows 7, but before you do make sure you download all the drivers for your laptop onto a flash drive...especially the drivers for your network card.

As for your problem...it sounds like it might be having problems with the briefing. I think I saw a way to skip the briefing in the tweaks (posted in another thread in this forum) which you can see if that helps.

I've actually installed Thief: Deadly Shadows from my retail copy of the game and all I did was run everything as administrator. I've already completed the first mission and partway into my next. I'm running Windows 7 and it's working fine. I did not even set the processor affinity.