PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia GeForce 6600 Thread (Post your issues/fixes here)

jdemacek
25th Feb 2007, 14:03
All,

It appears that the Nvidia 6600 has some severe issues with Battle stations Midway. This is not a "progressive lag" problem as others have suggested or encountered under other circumstance. But a steady and low frame rate of between 2-5 fps.

If we want to have this issue addressed, we need to show the consistancy of this problem. So if you have steadily poor performance with the Nvidia 6600 card, post here!

joesmaname
25th Feb 2007, 20:04
You may want to post more info, your system hardware/software/Driver versions etc. Does it happen in single player and multiplayer, anything you can think of. Others will need the information to help spot a pattern. As is - The first person to post: "My Geforce 6600 work fine!", will invalidate your post.
Good luck, hope you get your answer sooner then latter - it's a sweet game!

EuT.be
25th Feb 2007, 21:33
Just wanted to tell I dont have problems with hosting but after doubts I've checked my hard and noticed I've got a 6800XT! All thos numbers on the nV cards, it's getting irri after a while..

joesmaname
25th Feb 2007, 23:24
Just wanted to tell I dont have problems with hosting but after doubts I've checked my hard and noticed I've got a 6800XT! All thos numbers on the nV cards, it's getting irri after a while..

I know it's hard to keep them straight, I've got a 6200 that works but just because they are numbered close doesn't mean the Chipset is the same - probably is but I sure don't know for sure. ATI's no better with the number game.

Remo
7th Mar 2007, 03:39
im using a bfg 6600 no problems here

redwoodneo
16th Mar 2007, 02:25
You may want to post more info, your system hardware/software/Driver versions etc. Does it happen in single player and multiplayer, anything you can think of. Others will need the information to help spot a pattern. As is - The first person to post: "My Geforce 6600 work fine!", will invalidate your post.
Good luck, hope you get your answer sooner then latter - it's a sweet game!

Actually, a "my 6600 works fine" post would not invalidate it. Not only are there many hardware differences between different versions of the 6600 (GT,GS, etc), but there is even significant variation among the brands and revision numbers. Anyone with problems should post a DXDIAG report.

I know it's hard to keep them straight, I've got a 6200 that works but just because they are numbered close doesn't mean the Chipset is the same - probably is but I sure don't know for sure. ATI's no better with the number game.

It is based on the same chipset, but it has had its guts torn out. Remember- many versions of the 6600 were very different from other types (such as the 6800) in their feature support. Certain features seen on the 6800 have a similar, but not identical, counterpart on the 6600. This means that there are certain features which the game may try to utilize which are not hardware-supported. So, they are done in some crappy way which may look so-so or go very slowly. However- in almost all instances Nvidia provides an "alternative" method, usually not as fast or good-looking, but very tollerable. The most likely answer is that they are trying to use an Nvidia feature outside of D3DCAPS range, but not specifically checking for its availibility.
It has been a while since I used a GeForce 6 series, and I don't have any on hand, so I can't go test this out. However, there is most likely a fairly easy way to fix this (on the developer's side). Most likely, the card is not defaulting to the alternative method, and instead doing the unsupported feature in a very slow way (it is not supposed to default to the alternative, anyways). Basically, the devs just need to take a look at what is slowing down the show, and then look up the 6600 supported alt.

You see a similar thing if you try to run the GeForce 6600 version of Nvidia's Nalu demo on a newer video card. It will have an error as it does not support certain features, but when you run the 6800 version, it runs fine. It is because the 6600 version is set to use the alternative methods, which are COMPLETELY unsupported in later versions.

As for the 6200, it is most likely running fine because it most likely has no version of whatever feature is causing this problem, so it is just running without it. I have heard of this problem with other games before, but I can't remember anything.

Anyone with a problem- I urge you to try out NVPerfHUD (http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nvperfkit_home.html). I haven't gotten a chance to use it yet, but we might be able to localize the issue you are having. Most likely, the devs will need to fix the actual problem, but it sure would make their job go a lot faster if we pinpoint the issue.